Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grand Sydney Hyde Park, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia [Master Thread]

Sheraton Grand Sydney Hyde Park, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia [Master Thread]

Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 22, 19, 7:01 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: margarita girl
Wiki Link
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 15, 17, 5:34 am

Originally Posted by m0hamed View Post

Unless you booked an Executive Room then no. From memory itís not a lot of extra points. See if you can upgrade.
Not a big deal but would have been nice and convenient.

One thing i noticed about my refurbished room is that they reused the toilet unit. Could see a bit of old stain and some yellowish areas :-X
Old Dec 16, 17, 2:13 am

Originally Posted by spellbound2 View Post
Did they mention when they will complete the gym renovations? Have a great stay!
I took a peek at it today (Sat). First time that I've encountered a gym at a hotel that offer protein shakes. I'm assuming they are free?

Old Dec 16, 17, 4:32 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
It looks like it's had a paint job only?

Protein shakes are chargeable. The fridge is locked.
Old Dec 17, 17, 9:05 pm

Programs: Hilton Dia, Marriott PP, UA *G, SK Dia
OK gym really looks the same except for the paint job. Still a decently equipped gym nevertheless.
Yes, protein shake fridge was locked when I was there. +1 vote for making protein shakes a SPG platinum perk.
Getting to the replacement gym at the Westin was much further afar than I anticipated and I was not a fan of their gym either.

The lounge is definitely worth it. We saved a lot of hassle and money since we did breakfast and late afternoon snacks (easily a full meal) there. Excellent selection, quality, and staff.
Old Jan 30, 18, 4:41 am

Programs: AS MVP75K, AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott PLT 75 (LT Gold), Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by spellbound2 View Post
That looks nice. Did they mention when they will finish renovations? Did you hear them working on other floors? Thanks for posting the pics!
No noise during renovations. Renovations will be completed by May 2018. They will stop selling the non-Grand (not renovated) rooms in March 2018 as that will mark the final 4 floors being renovated. They still are deciding if they will continue to sell the rooms under the Grand (renovated) name.

The gym is indeed just a new paint job and new TVís.
Old Feb 6, 18, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, NYC MTA Gold, AA EXP
Stayed in one of the renovated rooms and liked it a lot. New big screen TV was nice to catch tennis during the Aussie Open.
Old Feb 6, 18, 10:16 pm

We stayed here for 8 nights in a renovated room over NYE and it was fabulous! The club lounge had a great variety of options for breakfast, afternoon cookies, and lots of choice for evening canapes. We climbed the bridge and went on James Craig for the fireworks and it will be a highlight we will always remember. Sydney is a lot of fun- we visited the Westin Melbourne over Christmas for 6 nights and luckily all the workers were off for the holidays since our room was over the construction and it looks like it would be noisy. The breakfast here was even better with a juicer and all kinds of great food. We visited Tasmania and had tremendously great luck with weather in Cradle Mtn. and Freycinet, but both accommodations (not Starwood) I cannot recommend at all but the scenery was spectacular and seeing wallabies and wombats on the doorstep was amazing.
Old Feb 23, 18, 6:18 pm

Programs: Delta 360/DM/2MM, UA 1K, AA Gold, Marriott Ambassador Elite/Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Sheraton on the Park, Sydney

Ask for a rehabbed room, and get the lounge access.

Open pour of Black Label, oysters on the half shell... gorgeous views.
Old Feb 24, 18, 1:49 am

Originally Posted by webmarks View Post
Ask for a rehabbed room, and get the lounge access.

Open pour of Black Label, oysters on the half shell... gorgeous views.
Sadly no champagne though.
Old Apr 10, 18, 11:09 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Club Room on Points

Has anyone ever redeemed a Club Room award on points? How many points per night?
I'm booking 3 rooms on points for family and considering redeeming for Club Rooms so everyone can have access. Also, anyone know if I can book one "simple" room, as I would get upgraded to Club as a Plat, and the other 2 rooms as Club?
Thanks
Old Jul 29, 18, 7:44 pm

Programs: HGP Globalist, SPG P100, Hilton Dia
Does anyone have the email contact of the GM or senior management? I want to make sure that my family gets a memorable stay here. Thanks!
Old Aug 2, 18, 8:36 am

Programs: SPG Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A G, OW Saph.
How are plats treated here in recent times? Anyone been here (this hotel) lately?
Old Aug 16, 18, 3:42 am

Originally Posted by Tokyoite View Post
How are plats treated here in recent times? Anyone been here (this hotel) lately?
Seconding this.

Does anyone have any experience with this hotel lately?

Looking to do a few stays in Sydney. Do they still have the rule where you need to pay $15AUD to upgrade to restaurant breakfast as Plat?
Old Sep 2, 18, 6:59 pm

Stayed here at a $200 rate, a bit disappointing to be honest.

Food is pretty bad quality actually (breakfast mainly). Everything is flavorless.. pastries are bad, soup station has disgusting soup and low quality noodles. Just no flavor put on any of the food.

So many staff walking around in lounge in morning, really awkward. Having to ask for even a soft drink is awkward - why are SOFT DRINKS not self serve like every other lounge? Scared people will take an extra 20c drink? There really is no need for that in the morning..

Only offering Pepsi is cheap.. Its like there is no privacy at this hotel at all and the staff are really awkward and act 'fancy' rather than normal and personable.

MINIBAR knocking on the door every few hours, housekeeping also knocking (what?). They come into the room also, with no permission, while we were inside and not dressed. DND on and got 8 calls to the room. When picked up phone, nothing. Or hear call waiting music, then beep. Just want to RELAX but even with DND button on getting 10 phone calls...

Bathroom has really annoying taps, that get too hot after a small movement. It is probably the worst I've experienced at a hotel of this caliber. Bathtub is ok.

Afternoon tea at lounge - is not even an afternoon tea.. a couple cupcakes, cheap biscotti and mini cookies.. and thats all.. lol

Dinner at lounge - although food in general is decent, can't say I'm too impressed with the spread, despite people always saying how amazing it is. Yes, it is prawns, but I've also had prawns at other lounges, where you don't feel as much of a scab for taking them. Also you don't have the cheese and bread spreads and etc. of all the other hotels. I mean just about the only good thing were the arancini balls and the prawns..

Now for the good.. good plat recognition.. 4pm checkout, benefits/upgrade. Nice park view. Dinner canapes at lounge are decent.. but mostly meat options. Prawns are good if you like prawns. Its a cool room and big but just generic and bathroom/shower is not very impressive even compared to smaller rooms at other places..

Will not be returning though. Its not a bad hotel.. just outclassed by most of the places I've stayed in Sydney. I'm surprised people rate this hotel so highly?
zzap likes this.
Old Sep 2, 18, 7:14 pm

I agree that the lounge environment is extremely awkward. It's been that way for years. I had hoped that during their renovation process they would have been able to change the general ambience, but it seems like it has not been the case. Sad!

Search this Thread