Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Salt Lake City [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Salt Lake City [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2011, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by cre95
What would recommend between Loft Suite, Junior Suite, Corner Suite? Do either of these have a sofabed? Will be travelling with spouse & 2 chidren.

I went through the previous posts but it's not clear given renovations that were completed recently.
stayed here about a month ago for a night....got an upgrade to a loft suite....i don't believe it had a sofa bed but i could be mistaken....the suite was very well laid out & was very spacious....i would definitely recommend it....
Old Nov 28, 2011, 9:01 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG LT Plat, AA 3MM EXP
Is this still a Sheraton? It's not on the website today, and in my points history it says "null" for where "Sheraton Salt Lake City" should have been.

EDIT: looks like it's back up and showing in the "salt lake city" search results.

Last edited by gozetta; Nov 28, 2011 at 9:41 am
Old Dec 16, 2011, 5:53 am

Programs: IML GOLD, Bonvoy LTPE, WOH Globalist, AAEXPLT
Decided to hit the slopes last weekend in Utah, so we flew over to SLC and stayed at Sheraton for a 4 night cash & point stay. At first, I was scared due to the reviews, but hey, its 3k points a night

In the past two years, I have stayed at more than 15 different Starwood properties around the world and even though this property does not have all the frills of a 5-star hotel, Sheraton Salt Lake City did not disappoint.

Pros:
  • Arrived at 11pm, and was promptly checked in to the 8th floor (starwood preferred guest floor).
  • I was happy to find that the room had undergone a recent renovation, and the furnishings in the room was basically brand new (I have this pet peeve old, unrenovated roomS).
  • The hotel had FREE parking. With the exception of Four Points by Sheraton, some of the other Starwood properties charge upwards of $50 a night for parking.
  • Centrally located... 2 blocks away and you're in the middle of down town SLC with malls and nice restaurants.
  • Close to the slopes! Its a 30-40 minute drive to the ski resorts.
  • Free airport shuttle, only 10 minutes from SLC airport! I didn't use the shuttle though.
  • Free to use computer terminals in the lobby.
  • On the same block as two ski/snowboard shops.

Cons:
  • Didn't get a room upgrade as a SPG Gold, but I wasn't really expecting it anyway.
  • Even though the inside had undergone renovation, the outside still looked like a 20 year old building. But its no problem for me.
  • $10/night for in-room internet. But you can get it free in the lobby, no problem!
  • Limited room service menu, ends at midnight. Again, no problem since there is plenty of food in the vicinity.
  • The elevator did not have a key card access, meaning that anyone can go to any floor at any time. And YES, this became a problem for me. I was going back to the room at 2am and walked by a BUM rummaging thru the garbage cans on each floors' elevator lobby, for recyclables. Even though I saw security guards patrolling premises, there is so much they can cover. This is somewhat of a security issue, but if you don't walk thru the hotel that late at night, it wont be an issue.

I was so impressed by the location of the hotel in relation to everything, that I will be returning to Utah within the next 1-2 months to hit the slopes again!

HINT: Pick up some snacks / meals / drinks at the Whole Foods at Trolley Square maybe 7 blocks away, you'll get yourself gourmet food while saving some bucks on your vacation/stay!
Old Dec 19, 2011, 8:06 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
I'm at this property now. No Plat upgrade besides SPG floor 9. Does this place even have suites?

Appearances deceive. Ugly outside, nice n new inside. My room is fine, but no different from what a walk-in would get, and expensive.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by born sleepy
Does this place even have suites?
see post #61....
Old Feb 24, 2012, 9:23 am

Recent Experience

My family and I stayed at this property on the way back from Park City so we'd be closer to the airport for an early departure the next morning. After arriving around 8:30 pm from Park City, we were tired and went to the onsite restaurant. The service was terrible. Our waitress was incredibly rude. The lady who was acting as a hostess knew how bad our waitress was and came by the table several times to refill drinks and the alike. One of the worst waitresses ever.

Check in was terribly slow - only one agent who was nice enough, just slow.

The room was nice. You can tell the property was recently renovated. Again, all was nice.

As a plat., I was given access to the club even though no rooms were available on the club level. I went to the club to grab a couple of waters and my key wouldn't work. I could hear a staff member on the other side of the door so I simply knocked. No answer, so I knocked several more times before she finally let me in. I told her the key wouldn't work. She gave me quite a nasty look but didn't say word in response to my explanation. So another rude person.

We got up at 4:30 am to catch the 5 am shuttle to the airport (I'd called ahead for the shuttle hours). When we got downstairs, another guest was waiting and informed us that the front desk guy (not the one from the night before) told him there was no shuttle but to call a taxi. I went over to ask the agent about this. He told me there was no shuttle. After explaining to him I'd called before making the reservation and confirmed the starting time with the front desk agent the night before, he shrugged and said he didn't know anything. Annoyed, I let him know we were depending on the shuttle and might miss a flight. He gave me the "screw you" look and then said he didn't know if the shuttle driver would be on time or not. So I confirmed there was in fact a shuttle. He basically said, "maybe, we'll see." Followed by another "screw you" look. About this time the shuttle driver came in promptly at 4:55 am.

All he had to say originally was the the the shuttle was scheduled for 5 am.

In any event, the shuttle drive was really nice.

So, a nice property for an older Sheraton, three incredibly rude people, one nice but slow person, and a nice shuttle driver.

Next year, I'll bypass this property and go outside the SPG family.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 4:27 pm

I just finished a stay here last weekend and was pleasantly surprised considering the less than stellar reviews. Check-in was quick and efficient. I didn't receive a suite upgrade (didn't ask) but was upgraded to one of the club floors.

The room was newly renovated and quite nice. There were plugs by the bed and on the desk, no need to crawl around searching for them like some places. There would appear to be two room layouts so you either get a larger bathroom and smaller room or vice versa. The smaller bathroom has a shorter than standard tub but it is oval so the volume is about the same as the other tub.

I only went to the club for breakfast one day and it was deserted. The breakfast spread was better than many other Sheraton clubs that I have been to in North America. There was one food warmer with scrambled eggs, bacon and sausage as well as a fairly decent continental spread (danishes, toast, muffins and fruit). They also serve hors d'oeuvres in the evening and the club is opened on weekends.

There is some construction going on in one of the parking lots but I was on the other side of the building. I don't think it would be too loud though.

Location wise it is a bit further away from downtown than the Marriott and Hilton. It is a couple of blocks from the light rail which will take you downtown or you can walk to Temple Square in about 15 minutes.

There is a shuttle to and from the airport as well as to some downtown locations. I only took advantage of the shuttle to the airport and it leaves every half hour. It is a short ride from the hotel to the airport.

While I didn't eat anything at the hotel I did look at the room service menu. The prices were very reasonable.

All in all, for a category 2 hotel, this stay exceeded my expectations.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 9:47 am

Location: Somewhere Over the Rainbow with a Seat in the Fully Reclined Position
Programs: UA Global Services, UA 2 MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Honors, Hertz #1 Club Gold
Sheraton SLC Has No Water!!!

Hi All:

I'm staying in the hotel right now. If you are staying here in the next 48 hours find another hotel. The hotel has no water service at all. I'm not kidding. Do yourself a favor and stay elsewhere. Staff here do not have a contingency plan and we are hours away from having any water service. You've been warned. Stay elsewhere for the near term.

Tom
Old May 22, 2013, 8:43 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Starwood Gold, JetBlue, Marriott Silver, Hilton Honors
I just booked a night here for tomorrow, 5/23. I booked yesterday and the rate is $79! Why so cheap? is something going on there? I am coming back in two weeks and the rate for that night is well over $200. I can' remember the last time I have stayed in a hotel for that low of rate...any hotel!
Old May 22, 2013, 10:48 pm

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Krankenfaren
I just booked a night here for tomorrow, 5/23. I booked yesterday and the rate is $79! Why so cheap? is something going on there? I am coming back in two weeks and the rate for that night is well over $200. I can' remember the last time I have stayed in a hotel for that low of rate...any hotel!
It's still "mud season" here in SLC/Park City area. Winter tourists are gone and summer tourists won't start showing up for 2 more weeks. No big convention or things like that happening. You just hit a good time, price-wise.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 12:50 am

Location: Somewhere Over the Rainbow with a Seat in the Fully Reclined Position
Programs: UA Global Services, UA 2 MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Honors, Hertz #1 Club Gold
Do not stay in this hotel if you plan to use the Internet. I'd say the wifi was bad but that would do a disservice to all the things in life which are bad. Sure you can connect to the wifi but you can't get anywhere once connected. So much for this business trip. Hotel staff and technical support after a 40 minute call know there is a problem but no one is working to fix it. Unreal and unacceptable for 2015. Maybe a hotel could get away with this in 2005 but no way in 2015. Another promised platinum amenity down the drain.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 12:50 pm

Programs: SPG/MR Plat, HH Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by hopegrad
Do not stay in this hotel if you plan to use the Internet. I'd say the wifi was bad but that would do a disservice to all the things in life which are bad. Sure you can connect to the wifi but you can't get anywhere once connected. So much for this business trip. Hotel staff and technical support after a 40 minute call know there is a problem but no one is working to fix it. Unreal and unacceptable for 2015. Maybe a hotel could get away with this in 2005 but no way in 2015. Another promised platinum amenity down the drain.
LOL many more reasons than wifi to avoid this hotel. Worst in the SPG portfolio. SPG needs to diversify their presence in SLC. It is a booming city with a heavy load factor of business/convention travelers both on air routes and in hotels.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 8:09 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
We stay at this property often, and while I would not find it particularly great, we generally enjoy our time enough... I can't imagine calling it the worst hotel in the entire SPG Portfolio...
Old Feb 11, 2015, 8:57 pm

Programs: SPG/MR Plat, HH Gold, UA Silver
Maybe you've had lucky stays, maybe I've been unlucky. I have seen enough nasty to know I'll never stay there again.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cfabar1
We stay at this property often, and while I would not find it particularly great, we generally enjoy our time enough... I can't imagine calling it the worst hotel in the entire SPG Portfolio...
+1 - just did a quickie overnight there a couple years ago...fine but not awful. I actually remember the lounge having one of the better hot breakfasts in a domestic Sheraton I could remember.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.