Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Salt Lake City [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Salt Lake City [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2007, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ET
Oh, and on booking a stay with points, I also got the following message in my email confirmation:
Taxes
STATE 6.6 Percent Per Room Per Night NOT In The Rate
HOSPITALITY 5.86 Percent Per Room Per Night NOT In The Rate

If the attitude of the hotel staff is as bad as some reviews say, then they will not honor the "point stays include taxes" thing and will point to my email confirmation stating that I need to pay for these taxes.

Thoughts?
There are many threads on taxes on award stays. They are included - don't worry about it.

I had a couple of stays at the Sheraton SLC in August. One round of my Plat amenity points didn't post, check-in was agonizingly slow (not a function of line length), offerings in the lounge were very meager...

If you're a point-hound (and by presence on this board, that's my guess) it's an OK property but I wouldn't go out of my way to stay there.
Old Mar 1, 2007, 7:36 am

Programs: DL DM/ 2MM, BA Silver, Amtrak Select Executive, SPG Life Plat/Amb, Fairmont Preferred
I found the staff to be good at the counter, but the hotel is run-down, not centrally located for downtown SLC, and feels like it's been re-branded half-a-dozen times.
Old Mar 1, 2007, 7:37 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
I think that the condition of the tower rooms is good, but they're small. The rooms in the older building are tired, but they're quite large. On my last ski trip stay, was upgraded weeks in advance to a large jacuzzi suite by request to the hotel. On another trip, was able to confirm a large room with 2 Queen beds and a complimentary (and quite comfortable) rollaway for 3 adults.

Since this property was a Cat 1 in 2005, it is less of a bargain today as a Cat 2. But still not a bad deal.

I agree that the lounge offerings were not substantial, but it's not a bad lounge. IIRC, the lounge offerings and/or schedule were different on the weekend. I can't remember the details, but I might have written a review on it previously. If you can get search to work for you, you'll find several threads on this property.
Old Apr 16, 2007, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA 1MM/Gold, Marriott Gold
Sheraton Salt Lake - review

Just returned from a long weekend stay at the Sheraton Salt Lake, the only SPG property in the area. The purpose of our trip was for some late season skiing, and we booked using points. Think it was 3000 points/night for weeknights, and 4000/weekend, though it could have been the other way around.

The hotel is located in the downtown area of Salt Lake, which is in the process of undergoing some urban renewal, with new restaurants, bars, loft conversions and shops going in a few blocks from the hotel. The hotel building itself is unremarkable, outside or inside. It is located on a block with a small office building, and across the street from a Best Western in one direction, and a McDonald's in the other. Downtown Salt Lake is very strange for an apparent lack of zoning, with 1-2 story buildings mixed in with high rises. The hotel has a tower portion, as well as some low rise rooms towards the back which are connected to the main portion of the hotel.

Not sure about the other rooms, but ours was extremely small. King bedded with the Sheraton Sweet Sleeper, older style tv, small desk with desk chair, and a recliner. Not quite NYC small, but still much smaller than expected and somewhat dated. Bathroom was functional, but nothing special. There was a small balcony with a sliding door.

Parking at the hotel is either valet ($12/day) or self ($10/day), though the self parking lot is not always attended. It is easy access to freeways (I-15, 215 and 80) within a few blocks. Drive time is about 10-15 minutes to the airport, and 40-45 minutes to Alta/Snowbird.

Had very little interaction with the hotel staff, but they were generally friendly and helpful. We did have an issue of being locked out of our room one night as the hotel thought we had checked out when we were actually on back-to-back stays due to the change in SPG point redemption values. Did not try out the hotel restaurant, though there is a Starbucks in the lobby that is convenient. There is an outdoor pool and indoor jacuzzi, but we didn't use either.

Overall, served the purpose well for being a "free" place to stay. Certainly not a luxury property by any stretch of the imagination. It's too bad that there aren't any SPG properties closer to the ski areas (would be perfect for a 4 Points in Midvale/Sandy, etc) or in Park City...
Old Apr 17, 2007, 10:44 pm

Programs: US Chairmans, AA Lifetime Gold, SPG Platinum
As a plat I was once upgraded (at check in, unprompted) to their best room when the category I had booked was not available. I think they call it a Presidential Suite. It is on the executive floor, has a double door entry, an enormous living room with bar and dining table. It is attached to an ordinary bedroom.

The suite is not really luxurious, as the furnishings are really no more than ordinary Sheraton, but there were 3 tiny balconies and it was fun all the same. I think I would have been pretty disappointed with any other room at this fairly tired Sheraton, and while I appreciated the upgrade I usually book the SLC Hilton, which is one of the better Hiltons.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 10:58 pm

Programs: DL DM/ 2MM, BA Silver, Amtrak Select Executive, SPG Life Plat/Amb, Fairmont Preferred
As dankyone and other threads note, the Hilton SLC is a great property (and steakhouse is top-notch). Sheraton has nice staff but is a very tired, retreaded facility.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
It's only 5 blocks to Temple Square, but blocks are big in SLC. It's about a mile. If you're looking to sightsee in downtown, or walk to dinner, you're much better off at the Hilton or either of the big Marriotts.
Old May 31, 2007, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Considering it's category, I think the hotel is fine.

I appreciated the great attitude of the all the staff and the fact that they invited me to get some water/soda/snacks up in the club lounge even though it was midnight when I checked in. Morning breakfast was decent too.

My only wish would be for wi-fi in the club lounge or in the Starbucks in the lobby.

I was surprised at how quick it was to the airport via the hotel's shuttle.^
Old May 31, 2007, 3:54 pm
ET

Programs: AA lifetime Gold, SPG
Stayed one night in April in bound, regret not booking a 2nd night on the outbound. Free airport shuttle which I wasn't aware of --- this hotel beats any of the "airport hotels" by the airport. Got in late at night, so don't know too much about it as left in the morning. Room was on the smallish side, but the bathroom was HUGE, about the size of 2/3 of the living area! Children played in the bathroom (taking bath etc) while dad slept in. That's how big it was. Tower room, not sure which type. Clean, nice beds.
Old May 31, 2007, 10:06 pm

I've been frequenting this hotel again lately. In the past, I've stayed here for ski vacations. Now I'm here for one-night stays for business.

Last week, I requested an upgrade to a bi-level suite in the old part of the building. It's on the second floor and is not accessible by elevator. The loft bedroom is upstairs with a King bed and overlooks part of the living room below. The bathroom is also upstairs. The entire downstairs is a living room area with a small wet bar but no refrigerator or minibar.

Tonight, I'm in a first floor jacuzzi suite. A huge room with a large jacuzzi in the corner opposite the King bed. A separate living room area is not quite a separate room.

Last year, I had another jacuzzi suite that consisted of a fully separate living room with a door to the bedroom.

I'm surprised that the sofas in these rooms are not sleeper sofas. However, I have used a comfortable rollaway bed at this property during a past stay.

I always get a very welcome reception at this hotel. I like that the Club Lounge is open for non-alcoholic drinks 24/7. (The small refrigerator is at the far end of the counter. Many people overlook it.) Cookies and some other simple snacks are usually in the lounge during the late evening, too. Breakfast and evening reception is decent. Weekend service in the lounge is reduced.

I've also had good experience with the airport shuttle in the past. It's a little less than 10 minutes between the hotel and airport.

Negative: $10 per day parking in a city that has usually cheap parking. However, the parking booth is frequently unstaffed allowing free departure from the parking lot. (Unless you put parking on your room bill.)

Rooms in the old part of the property are a bit tired but generally good considering their age. These rooms are extremely spacious. Some noise carries from rooms above. Floors squeak in many rooms in this part.

Rooms in the much newer tower are small. Rooms with one bed are good. Rooms with two beds feel more cramped. Rooms in the tower are more convenient to the Club Lounge on the tower's 10th floor.

I think that all bathrooms have garden tubs.

There are a number of good restaurants just a few blocks away. Beer fans may enjoy walking to Squatters or Red Rock Brewpub.
Old May 31, 2007, 11:01 pm

Very small room

Stayed here a few weeks ago on a romance package rate on a friday evening. I am plat and notified them that this was our anniversary (long story--we were attending another wedding). Showed up and asked for an upgrade and was told that they were full (on a friday night??). Went up to the room and I've honestly never been in a smaller room (the Sheraton towers in NY may come close). The one king bed literally filled the room. I called down again and asked if this really was their "best" room. Yes, we are full . . .

I seriously doubt that I'd stay there again unless I needed one more night to make plat. (which didn't seem to make any difference at this property--they didn't give me the plat amenity and screwed up the few points that they gave me to boot). Bad location, tiny rooms, a bit of an attitude by staff.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 10:55 pm

Sheraton Salt Lake - loft or corner suite

Headed to Salt Lake this weekend for some skiing, and staying at the Sheraton downtown...we did this last year, drove the Alta/Snowbird, and it worked out well.

Looks like there should be some suites available for upgrades...anyone have experience with the corner suite vs the loft? Corner looks to be bigger, but don't know if it's any nicer...I'm guessing that both are in the low-buildings, and not in the tower? I'm not expecting anything luxurious, just a little room to spread out.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 6:27 am

I've been in a loft and in two completely different suites in their lower level. I would definitely go for the corner suite over the loft. I didn't find the loft to add much additional space, and IIRC, the loft level bedroom had a tiny TV. At least some of the suites have jacuzzi tubs in the room. To the best of my knowledge, all of the suites are in the older, lower level.

The Club Lounge is on the 8th Floor of the tower, though. Unless things have changed, I think it's closed Friday night - Sunday morning.

Good value for a ski trip based out of the city -- especially if spending points on a weekend. There's a ski rental shop across the street with discount lift tickets. http://www.canyonsports.com/utah_dis...ft_tickets.php
Old Feb 18, 2008, 8:19 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
Recently received a club floor corner non-suite. Was a very nice, renovated room Very large, even though not a suite.

Had booked a loft and desk agent talked me into the club floor. Was glad he did.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 10:16 am

Thanks...we rented from Canyon Sports last year, but bought our own equipment for this trip.

We did a Ski Salt Lake Superpass, which gives you access to Alta/Snowbird/Brighton/Solitude. I think we paid $156/person for 3 days, and got 4th day free, so a great deal, IMO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.