Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2017, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
Not sure what you're getting at, but consider the Drake and other office buildings are North of the hotel, how could all rooms have a lake view? Some corner rooms on the upper floors do have lake views.

The Westin Workout is small, comparatively to say the Westin Peachtree or Bonaventure, but they did previously have machines.
Figured I'd report on this property. Stayed here for a (off-site) wedding at the end of July.

Keep in mind this is from a Marriott guy who matched status to SPG Platinum so not sure what to expect from a Westin.

There are 27 floors. We were put on the 26th floor on check-in with a room facing the lake. (At the wedding I joked with one of the bridesmaids staying there, who is also SPG platinum that I should have been given her room on the 27th floor ). Very solid view.

Room had a odd shaped two person couch, desk with desk chair and king bed. Probably a standard Westin room?

Lounge, as mentioned was on the 14th floor. It was also at the opposite end of the hotel from my room, so the walk from my elevator (there are two banks, one only serving the higher floors) was like 1/2 a city block. Lounge was very small but solid. Maybe 10 tables. Key accessible at all times. Open for cont bfast and apps on the weekend. Espresso machine and soda/water fridge. My only take away was that it seemed really small for a hotel of that size. However, as we had a weekend of things to do (rehearsal dinner, wedding, etc) we didn't spend really any time in the evening in there - only visited in the morning. I will say at 9-10 o'clock in the morning on this summer weekend it was very busy.

Nothing else to note really other than a possible security issues. The AZ DBacks were staying in the hotel on Sunday. There bags were in the lobby with names/numbers embroidered in them. I could see someone putting post it notes on them with what looked like room numbers for the bellman to take them up. Prying eyes could have seen which room certain members were in...

Two last things... First, we requested a late check out of 1600 on Monday and received it. Only downside was when we returned to our room at about 1530 our key didn't work. Called and they sent someone from security up to let us in. Second, housekeeping didn't have any issues taking a request for times to clean the room. While I never do that on a work trip, if I know we'll be out at lunch or wherever, I'll generally let them know in the hall that way they can try to clean the room when we are gone.

I would absolutely stay here again.

ETA: Not sure if we had a problem with our A/C or we were just extra hot due to not being used to the humidity but we did call engineering up the first night to look at it. They changed the filter and messed with something else. The A/C would only go down to about 66. (As with most hotel A/C units I doubt that was 66 and more like 70ish). They overrode that and put it down to 63 the rest of the stay. At that temp we were comfortable.

Last edited by trekwars2000; Aug 18, 2017 at 12:30 pm
Old Aug 18, 2017, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Good report - MLB teams like to stay here, I saw the Braves' bags there a few years ago.

Lounge is new-ish, less than 2 years old...definitely a retrofit.

I have gotten suites here before, but I don't think there are a ton of them. Rooms are all renovated vs. a few years ago and IMO are quite nice now.

Keys always seem to deactivate post-12pm on check-out day, even if you tell them you need the 4pm.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA Gold
I have a one night (on a Monday) stay coming up here soon. I'm SPG Gold. Any idea on my chances for an upgrade to a Club room or even just access to the Club Lounge?

Last edited by wired2theworld; Oct 28, 2017 at 2:11 pm
Old Oct 28, 2017, 4:22 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by wired2theworld
I have a one night (on a Monday) stay coming up here soon. I'm SPG Gold. Any idea on my chances for an upgrade to a Club room or even just access to the Club Lounge?
Unlikely. Lounge access is not a published SPG Gold benefit. I don’t recall ever receiving access as a Gold without paying for it (which may be an option).
Old Oct 28, 2017, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by LPCJr
Unlikely. Lounge access is not a published SPG Gold benefit. I don’t recall ever receiving access as a Gold without paying for it (which may be an option).
Maybe I've been lucky, but I think I've been upgraded to a Club Floor or given Lounge access as a Gold at least 50% of the time. I've paid for it a couple of times as well, but certainly not always.

Maybe because I ask nicely?

Just in August I was at the Sheraton Commander in Cambridge MA and was given Lounge access. We were at the Sheraton Edinburgh, also in August, and because they could not honor my request for a room with a view of the Castle (they were full during the Festival month) they gave us the full buffet breakfast (didn't even have to ask on that one).
Old Mar 9, 2018, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Lounge

Originally Posted by blort
It's on the southwest corner of the 14th floor at the far end of the corridor.

If I recall correctly, the opening hours are 6am-10pm, with breakfast 6am-8am and evening hors d'oeuvre 6pm-8pm. There were about a dozen tables with chairs.

I stopped by at 6pm one night. There were mini pizzas and egg rolls; both were terrible. There was coffee on a counter, soft drinks in a mini fridge, and no alcohol. The food service area is tiny so I cannot imagine they provide many options in the way of breakfast.
Does anyone know if the lounge is open on weekends at this property? TIA

Tried calling the hotel, but hung up when no one answered after 10 rings.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
In a direct comparison when staying 5 nights for work: Westin Michigan Ave or Westin River North?
I have stayed at the Westin River North and been relatively content. Worth trying the Westin Michigan Ave?
Old Sep 14, 2018, 9:22 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Accor Diamond
Staying here at the moment. Still thinks it’s one of the best SPG hotel downtown. Lounge is great with hot choices for breakfast (eggs, hasbrown, French toast, oatmeal)

I wasn’t aware of the strike going on in Chicago hotels (27 of them including this one) until I checked-in. Service is definitely different and there are some delays. Check-in took longer than usual, and the protests are quite noisy throughout the city. Managers are flew from other states to help and some clean rooms. Security guards serve as bellboys. A sign says everyone is included in Make a Green Choice unless you ask for your room to be made. Everyone is nice and you really feel like they do all their best to do business as usual.

You can read more about the conflict:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-chicago-hotel-worker-strike-faq-0911-story.html
Old Sep 14, 2018, 3:27 pm

Programs: MYOB
Originally Posted by LPCJr
Never hurts to ask (nicely)

Originally Posted by wired2theworld
Maybe I've been lucky, but I think I've been upgraded to a Club Floor or given Lounge access as a Gold at least 50% of the time. I've paid for it a couple of times as well, but certainly not always.

Maybe because I ask nicely?
That has worked twice this year at thie property - both 3 night stays. ^

Originally Posted by monsieurcumulus
Staying here at the moment. Still thinks it’s one of the best SPG hotel downtown. Lounge is great with hot choices for breakfast (eggs, hasbrown, French toast, oatmeal)

Also, the Lounge seems to be "attended" if not staffed, throughout the day. Usually someone's there, but it is clear that someone is restocking the snacks/beverages throughout the day. Breakfast does have a lot of choices (hot/cold/carbs/no carbs). Only went to the evening display once, but it also had choices and was well apportioned.
The Front Desk staff here are nice. Last stay was 8/19 .... "Sir, we want to make sure that all of our loyal customers are taken care of trough this transition". Gave us Club Access and a very nice corner room (which are larger than a standard room at this property.

Last edited by xzh445; Sep 16, 2018 at 1:03 pm
Old Feb 2, 2019, 10:41 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
any recent stay reports here as platinum (or higher)?

thanks in advance.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 6:25 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Ok, just had a 4-night stay here.

+ good location (their best asset)
+ good platinum recognition (upgraded to a studio suite after requesting upgrade via app)
+ most staffs are nice and helpful.
+ good wifi speed

- lounge is too small and both morning and evening offering are not that great (coming from asia may be a factor).
- housekeeping needs to be improved. Many small issues e.g. toiletries not replenished daily, many requests never been fulfilled.
- room was bland, felt very bare minimum, e.g. no drawers to store clothes, no glasses. Very bad soundproofing, easily heard noise from outside. Bathroom was from 70’s.
- put some requests via app, never been delivered correctly.

all in all, a solid 4-star hotel but most likely not return. I only wish i found the very good rate at the gwen before this booking cancellation deadline. (2 days before arrival, the gwen had dropped their rate to 160 USD/night).

Last edited by 3rdworldresident; Apr 14, 2019 at 10:28 am
Old Jun 18, 2019, 6:40 pm

Programs: Marriott, Hilton
Just returned from a 4 night stay. No suite upgrade as a platinum elite but got a nice view room on the club lounge floor.

Lounge is very small. they could put in more tables by removing the 2 leather chairs by the TV and another table near the computer. Slightly disappointed that there was no bacon/sausage available for breakfast. chicken/beef skewers in the evening were fine.

the location works well for me. Easy uber pickup on Delaware.

Even though the hotel was pretty full, there was hardly any wait for elevators.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.