Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL [Master Thread]

Westin Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL [Master Thread]

Old Nov 3, 2008, 11:23 am

Location: SWUSA / AA PLAT, SPG PLAT, AMEX CENTURION, HHONORS Diamond
My family and one other family traveling with us had a super stay in June, 08. We (my family) received a corner room which had the typical extra space due to the design of a corner room...and my friend's room was up the hall a bit. I am a SPG/PLAT and they were not.

Small downer was that we requested adjoining rooms but our two rooms were separated by about 8 rooms. Since I had booked the two rooms months earlier, and since I am a PLAT, I can't imagine how my request was not fulfilled if they use *either* of these criteria for assigning rooms (elite level and/or chronology of booking)...adjoining rooms seem to be the least-fulfilled request of any I ask for in my spg experience now of 5+ yrs, and I rarely ask for anytuhing in "comments" except what is in my profile (except for the adjoining room(s) request when I do multi-room bookings, usually for leisure and usually w/ family and w/ small kids which I would like to not have to send out in the hallway to go to the other room(s). My final conclusion is that leisure travelers, even when elites and/or long-held bookings, are unlikely to get requests honored when the room mgr is assigning rooms. oh well. But I digress...

Rooms seemed updated and spacious, clean, etc. Excellent location, near tourist areas (Navy pier especially).

We would definitely consider this "in the mix" if we returned to Chicago.

P.S. indoor pool area was massively-loaded w/ chlorine. Tried to hold an informal mtng in the pool area (four adults) while kids swam...chokingly-oppressive. I mean on a scale of 1-10, their pool was a 9+ in terms of saturated chlorine (any more it would surely have made the water yellow). Sure wish modern-day hotels would look at the salt-water conversions going on in so many US (residential) pools these days and get out of the chlorine/bromide chemicals.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Exceptional Service at Westin Michigan Ave

My day started somewhat in a hectic fashion with a morning voicemail indicating that my flight to Chicago had been cancelled. Scrambling to throw everything in my suitcase and headed for the airport, I called the airline to make alternate arrangements.

I arrived in Chicago slightly behind schedule. Tired, I went directly to the hotel. I walked into a warm and inviting lobby in an otherwise brutal winter midwestern winter. An agent with a lovely smile made eye contact with me so I headed her way to check in. We had a small talk and I told her about my hectic day. She seemed to actually care. I inquired about my room, and she told me she would find something nice for me. A few key strokes later, she said that she had found me a Crown Suite, a specialty suite a level below the Presidential Suite, which she did not have to do. She offered a late check out until 4PM without my asking, wrote down her name, X, and asked me to call her at the front desk if I needed anything. She stepped out to give me my keys and directed me to the elevator (Love this touch from Westin). Before I headed up to my suite, I noticed the comfortable lobby had a few sets of sofas with people lounging and web surfing. To the otherside, there was a convenient store and a couple of computer stations for guest to use as well as to print out their boarding passes.

I headed upstairs to find an inviting living area in the Crown Suite. There was a large sofa along with chairs and ottomans. Because of its corner location, it offered a fantastic view of Michigan Ave. Lights of nearby stores, chatters, and the occasional honks of dissatisfied drivers penetrated the large sets of windows to decorate an otherwise oversized living space.

After a long session of people watching on Michigan Ave, I went to find the master bedroom. A spacious bathroom resides at the entrance to the Master Bedroom. I was excited to find the new line of Westin bath products, White Tea. For those who enjoy the refreshing scent at Westin Hotels know how addicting it is.

The master bedroom was an oversized alcove with an extra large double sink bathroom. Typical Westin amenities and comfort could be found in the room along with a bose stereo system.

An extra comfy chair and ottoman completes the room.

I sat down near the corner desk and took out my laptop. I located an wired as well as wireless internet for a reasonable $12.95 per day. But since my suite was across the street from The 900 shops on Michigan Ave, I was able to take advantage of their complimentary wifi internet . I briefly looked at the room service menu and found the typical Westin offerings.

A fierce fire truck with its overpowering siren raced down Michigan Ave. It dawned on me that because of the location of the suite, it might be slightly noisy throughout the night. As a light sleeper, it might be a problem. I decided to give X a call and told her my concerns. Without hestitation, she started looking for alternate rooms. She said that all the other specialty suites were occupied for the evening, but there were a corner room with double bed near the top floor in the lower building (15 stories), a regular room with a gorgeous lake view on the top floor in the taller building (27 stories), an executive suite on a higher floor in the taller building. However, she warned me about the executive suite's location. All of those suites were directly across from the elevators. She asked me which one sounded good or if I preferred a different location I was quite speechless. As if that wasn't enough, she then told me to sit back and enjoy the view while she sent a bellman with a set of keys to each of the rooms she mentioned so I could decide which one I liked better! ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ Now that's customer service!

A few moments later, the bellman arrived and I was able to go on my little adventure of a hotel tour! It was awesome. I was able to take a look at all of the different room types. All of the rooms I visited were in excellent shape with brand new furniture and wall papers. The hotel had been recently renovated and everything was in excellent shape. Although I liked all of the rooms, none came close to the crown suite. So, I decided to keep it and deal with the noise.

After my tour , I walked around the immediate area to find a variety of restaurants, cafes, and shops. The location was unbeatable. The John Hancock building was direct across from the Westin which offered a observatory of amazing views of the city. Two block away stood the drury lane theater, which offered a variety of theater programs. At the time, Meet me in St Louis was playing.

I retired into the suite later in the evening. Unfortunately, I did find the occasional sirens throughout the night to be a bit disturbing but only because I am a very light sleeper.

The next afternoon, I stopped by the front desk to see if I could be moved to a quieter location. Again, X, was there and remembered me. She offered the same rooms she allowed me to see the night before. ^ I told her to give me the corner lake view room on the top floor. Without hesitation, she gave me another key and sent me on my way ^

I moved my belongings to my new room and was very satisfied. Though the room did not offer the spectacular view of Michigan Ave, it did have an awesome lake view:

All in all, it was a amazing stay. Everyone staff I spoke to was extremely courteous and helpful. They are very lucky to have a dedicated staff like X onboard and I look forward to another wonderful stay in the near future.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 11:39 am

Programs: AA LT Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, SPG Gold, PC Plat Ambassador
Very nice review, Bliss World!! My mom and I are spending the weekend after Xmas there - even though we live in Chicagoland, I thought a weekend downtown while the Christmas lights were still up would be a nice "gift" for my mom.

One question, on which floor was your original Crown Suite located? It doesn't look like it was very far up from the pics!
Old Nov 19, 2008, 1:38 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: National Executive, AAdvantage Platinum, SPG Platinum, FPC Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Excellent report and pictures BlissWorld! It's great to hear of your exceptional service at the Westin Michigan Ave. It echos of similar outstanding customer service I received at the Dallas Joule. I'll have to give the Westin Mich Ave I try next time I'm in Chicago. You're a lucky ........... what's your upgrade percentage to suites like.... 90%? I think I'm around 60%.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by blase
One question, on which floor was your original Crown Suite located? It doesn't look like it was very far up from the pics!
Fifth floor. It was actually kind of cool to be on a lower floor on Michigan Ave. I felt like I was in the middle of the road people watching.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 9:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
I havent stayed at this property in a while so it was time for a checkup.

Located at the north end of Michigan Avenue this property is all about location, location, location. In the shadow of the Hancock center, a stones throw from Watertower Place and abundant, restaurants, nightlife and shopping.

The last time I stayed here the management was totally inept and I ripped off a seething letter. I was happy to be informed that the individual, who made my previous stay hell, has been relieved of his duties.

Other than a long line at check in this property this property has improved by leaps and bounds.

RANKINGS
Check-in/Check-out [4 out of 5]
Long line at check in as staff was changing shifts.

There is a dedicated Gold/Platinum line. The G/P line was unoccupied as I waited in line and opened, alone with another check in, when I was second in line.

Common Areas [4]
The lobby and common areas are very clean, bright, well lit and maintained. In the lobby they have a refreshment center right next to check in line.

Guest Room [4]
The rooms have greatly improved. The room I was assigned comprised of a nice sized bedroom and corner parlor to make up a pretty large suite. The suite was large enough to accommodate several people.

Overall First Impression: Renovated and on par with the DC and Philly Westins Ive recently visited.
Bed: This Heavenly bed wasnt as firm as I like, but all the accoutrements of the Heavenly Bed was there.

Furniture & Decor: Casual modern and in good condition. Dcor is appropriate for Downtown urban hotel

Closet Space: The closet was a bit on the tiny side, for a room its size the closet seemed out of proportion

TV: 27. This is the one thing that disappoints. Old school TV.
Workspace: The bedroom desk shares the ice chest and other items and could be a problem for some. There were extra electric outlets in the room for those with lots of devices

Lighting: Ample lighting in the room and the room has large windows so there is a ton of natural light.

View: Corner room so I could see up and down Michigan Avenue
Radio/Audio: No iPod docking station and a dated radio. Starwood has to up its game in this area.

Guest Room Bathrooms [4]
Very long narrow bathroom, but no separate shower. I found that odd for a bathroom of that size. While in the bathroom I could vaguely hear people in the hallway. There were glasses and plastic cups.

Sink: Dual sinks with lots of counter space and great lighting.

Shower: Heavenly shower with excellent water pressure but I found the temperature of the water to get to hot.
Tub: No separate tub

Toiletries: Typical Westin toiletries.

Parlor [5]
The parlor connected from the bedroom. Walking out of the bedroom into the parlor there was a nice sized bathroom. With amenities that matched the bedroom bathroom.

There was a large desk with lots of outlets and a great view looking south on Michigan Avenue. The room is a nice size and has a sofa, two club chairs and few ottomans. The is a Murphy bed and a huge closet. In addition, the parlor has a Bose radio.

Housekeeping [N/A]
The staff was prompt. I had the DND sign on the door and was never interrupted. They replaced all items and toiletries on each night of my stay. Received turndown service every evening.

Club Level/Lounge [N/A]
No Lounge

Fitness Center [5]
Nice sized space with up to date cardio machines & ellipticals, smaller room with free weights off to the side. Very relaxing attached to smaller rooms with free weights.

Pool [0]
No pool

Business Center [N/A]
Yes but didnt use.

Concierge [N/A]
Didn't use, but there is a concierge on staff located in the lobby.

High Speed Wired/Wireless Internet Access [4]
Free Internet in the lobby, $13 a night in rooms. Signal was strong throughout the suite and suffered no interruptions.

Parking/Valet/Cabs [N/A]
Did not use. No car needed in Chicago. Cabs are plenty

Restaurant/Room Service [N/A]
Didnt use.

FINAL IMPRESSION
Overall hotel cleanliness:
On par with other Westin properties and cleaner than the Ws

Staff attitude, conduct & support:
Staff has greatly improved, over my last stay. The staff has had a complete overhaul for the better. Everyone was prompt and attentive.

Great location. Can walk to your office (if on business), restaurants, attractions, parks, and shopping.

Would I return?
Yes.

Would I recommend this as family friendly?
No.

Good for business travelers?
Yes.

Good for a romantic get away?
Yes, nice rooms and spa services.

Would I recommend for someone looking for Dining/Nightlife?
yes

Would I recommend restaurant?
NA.

Value for price paid?
Good

Overall property rating on a scale from 1 to 10 = 9

Note: This review is a little dated (I totally forgot to post it ), so hopefully someone can chime in on the TV upgrades and as noted by BW, the toiletries have changed..
Old Feb 1, 2009, 10:58 pm

Great post Cheap Elite

I have a 3 day stay here next month are are most appreciative of the report.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA (1MM); SPG Plat
Spend one night there on March 27. Got to the hotel around 5:30PM, not sure where the valet was (came to find out at check out that it was down the street), but the doorman did show up to take care of our us and the vehicle after a few minutes.

There was no line to check in. We were assigned a high corner room with a view. I asked about the suite, and was offered the suite or the view. Took the view on the top floor 27th. The view was so-so (which overlooks the water to the north, but with a building right smack in the middle). I think we should of chose the suite.

Check out at 3AM (less than 12 hours). Got billed for $49 (12 hours to 24 hours) for parking even though the rate posted on the door specified that the rate for 4 to 12 hours was $28. The front desk person (night auditor), told me that she cannot adjust the bill; Standard parking had to adjust it. Anyhow, I was able to get my parking down to $28.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 5:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
It's interesting that this hotel is Cat 4, while the Westin Chicago River North is Cat 5 but significantly cheaper.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 7:30 pm

Programs: US Airways Chairmans Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Platinum/,Lifetime Silver Hertz Presidents
Just stayed here last weekend. Great location, no club floor level, they do have SPG Rooms. But again no club level which is a is disapointment for a Westin, the Sheraton around the corner has a club level concierge. I would reccommend the Sheraton...
Old Apr 11, 2009, 11:29 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: National Executive, AAdvantage Platinum, SPG Platinum, FPC Platinum, Hyatt Diamond

The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

909 North Michigan Ave Chicago, IL US 60611

The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago (6 Photos)

A long trip away from home!

The SleepDoc family left the cozy surroundings of the Westin Beale Street and drove up to the Westin Michigan Avenue, Chicago for the 2nd to last leg of our trip home. I can't say I'm going to do much justice on this hotel review as there are great reports from Blissworld and CheapElite with pictures above.

Check In

Arrived at the hotel and then waited and waited a bit more before we were both helped with our luggage and to have the car valeted. Check-in was a bit smoother... on my day of arrival I noted that I was upgraded to an Executive Suite, High Floor. FDA was friendly and professional. I took my amenity points, signed my dog waiver and we proceeded to go upstairs to our suite.

Room

Our suite was on the 7th floor and just right across from the elevator. It essentially was an oversized room with a tiny bathroom and nicely sized closet. I would have to say that the Crown Suite and the 1BR suite that Blissworld and Cheap Elite received respectively were bigger. But I'm not complaining. Modern furnishing in good wear... the suite had a connecting door to the room over in which we heard the folks for just a brief time.

Entryway View

Panoramic View of the Suite

So just an oversized room with no couch. Just a lounge chair but we can't complain! Martini sure didn't!

Martini

Another Pano View

Bathroom as I noted was kind of small and not to impressive. Large closet with safe was just outside the bathroom door.

Bathroom

Service

Northside of Hancock Building

As others have noted... no lounge and no pool. I didn't try the workout facilities but it appears they have one from CE's pictures above. After so many hours on the road my wife and I opted to eat at the Grill on the Alley. We attempted to order room service however although one can charge your bill back to room for the restaurant they did not offer delivery which I thought was strange. There is a separate 24 hour room service that is not associated with the Grill that one however, can get delivered. We've dined at one of their other locations in Dallas and the service here as well as the food was excellent.

Overall

Overall another great stay at a Starwood hotel. My wife and I would definitely stay here again. And with that that's the end of my trip reports.

Would you like to write a review on the The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old May 11, 2009, 8:25 am

Programs: AA Plat, NWA Silver, UA 2P, SPG Plat
Stayed here on a cash and point award this weekend. It's been hit or miss as to whether I'd get an upgrade on award stays, but this one was a miss.

The good:

Checkin was smooth and friendly with no waiting, on a Friday afternoon. We were given a room facing the lake, which was a nice view.

Room was clean, with a 32" HDTV.

The bad:

The shower had some intermittent water pressure trouble, and when neighboring rooms used their showers we could hear lots of high pitched pipe noise while we were trying to sleep.

The hallway-facing walls and doors are paper thin. You could hear and understand every conversation in the hallway. Given that the hotel was full of weekend tourists, there was a fair bit of hallway noise.

The bed was just not as comfortable as at other Westins I've stayed at. It felt a little lumpy.

For 4000 points + $60/night I feel I got what I paid for here, but with all the noise I'm glad that I didn't pay full price.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Platinum Amenity?

My family and I will be staying here on Sat. Aug15th, the weekend of the air and water show...I expect it will be a zoo! What is the platinum amenity since they don't have a lounge?
Old Jul 2, 2009, 6:40 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by bsdstone
My family and I will be staying here on Sat. Aug15th, the weekend of the air and water show...I expect it will be a zoo! What is the platinum amenity since they don't have a lounge?
500 points, the standard amenity.

There are two very good reviews up thread, that answer pretty much how the property operates.
Old Jul 2, 2009, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
500 points, the standard amenity.

There are two very good reviews up thread, that answer pretty much how the property operates.
I tried looking, and searching for the information, but couldn't find it (my wife says I can't find something if I'm looking right at it, so it could very well be there)...I was wondering about breakfast vouchers, or something since there isn't a lounge/club?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.