Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Heathrow, LHR London Heathrow Airport, UK [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 24, 2019, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Heathrow, LHR London Heathrow Airport, UK [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2018, 8:32 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Just curious, in your opinion, what in-room coffee should a 4-star chain hotel be offering, over and above a kettle and sachets of instant ?

Again, just curious, was the standard internet connection so deficient that an enhanced service was needed ?
I think it's fair to say that because the vast majority of Sheraton properties have filter coffeemakers in guest rooms that instant coffee is inferior and a downgrade. Moreover, the hotel touts a 4-star rating on its property website. I'd accept a kettle and instant coffee at a 3-star, non-Marriott property but a 4-star property flagged under one of Marriott's full-service brands should have better coffee.

As for the internet, guests with eligible elite status are supposed to receive enhanced internet access, unless the property is one of a handful exempted in the terms and conditions. This property does not have a listed exemption.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 8:42 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I think it's fair to say that because the vast majority of Sheraton properties have filter coffeemakers in guest rooms that instant coffee is inferior and a downgrade. Moreover, the hotel touts a 4-star rating on its property website. I'd accept a kettle and instant coffee at a 3-star, non-Marriott property but a 4-star property flagged under one of Marriott's full-service brands should have better coffee.
I think you'll find that most hotels this side of the pond don't necessarily consider in-room American-style filter coffee makers to be more 'classy' than good instant, so they provide accordingly.

As for the internet, guests with eligible elite status are supposed to receive enhanced internet access, unless the property is one of a handful exempted in the terms and conditions. This property does not have a listed exemption.
Nope. Elite guests are entitled to the 'fastest internet connection'. If there's only one speed of internet, then that's that.

The wireless service was renewed in the recent renovation, and IME has excellent coverage and speed.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by yorkboy24

I was referring to buses 75, 76 or 423, which are free public buses inside the Heathrow zone. This is different to Hoppa but not as convenient if you have heavy luggage.
Personally I used these buses exclusively and don't understand the value prop of the Hoppa. The local buses are within the free "Heathrow Zone" so it could not have been easier. Yes a small walk to and from the bus stops but manageable unless maybe the weather is poor?

The pics above of the renovated rooms look very nice. Our room back in May was not renovated yet and it was quite dated and in dire need of a refresh. That said the worst part about this hotel is the lack of exterior windows generally, the tight hallways, low ceilings and square layout. It's just not very open or airy no matter how they reno it...
Old Nov 19, 2018, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Front desk told me 10 pounds.
Well, they're wrong.

Depending on the terminal, one of the black cars they use might be £10, although I seem to remember a £12 to £15 range.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by yorkboy24

I was referring to buses 75, 76 or 423, which are free public buses inside the Heathrow zone. This is different to Hoppa but not as convenient if you have heavy luggage.
I know. I quoted sloppily here. I've done the free buses before. And the Hoppa. Most often, however, I hire a car from Thrifty the morning after arrival from the US, so I get on the Thrifty shuttle to the hotel, which is free.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 9:21 am

The bathroom in my room was horribly designed because you couldn't turn on the shower without getting wet.
Live and direct from the hotel, a travel advisory for anyone hindered by hockeyinsiders horrible Heathrow hydrophobic hubris.

The showerhead turns sideways. @:-)

kilo and Fizzer like this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 9:39 am

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
I agree with Oxon Flyer that instant coffee is the standard across the UK and much of Europe, whatever the class of hotel. If it's really posh you might get a Nespresso pod machine but then some hotels charge per pod after the first. They also typically provide milk rather than cream.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 11:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Live and direct from the hotel, a travel advisory for anyone hindered by hockeyinsiders horrible Heathrow hydrophobic hubris.

The showerhead turns sideways. @:-)

Old Dec 13, 2018, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by Fizzer
I agree with Oxon Flyer that instant coffee is the standard across the UK and much of Europe, whatever the class of hotel. If it's really posh you might get a Nespresso pod machine but then some hotels charge per pod after the first. They also typically provide milk rather than cream.
Yep. The in-room facilities are governed by the tastes of the local market :

1) We like tea as well as coffee.
and
1a) we also know that tea made in a filter coffee maker tastes foul (even if it’s a fancy Tazo tea, it still tastes dreadful).

2) which means you need a kettle in the room to make the tea.

3) which means you need to have tea bags, instant coffee and could also have (as a bonus) hot chocolate sachets.

4) As you rise through the levels of class and sophistication, you go from cheap unbranded instant to branded instant, then you get on to Nespresso-style Clooneypods.

The facility to churn out slightly burnt-tasting, stewed filter coffee by the bucketful doesnt normally feature.

Just to add : I noticed that the new club lounge here has one of those really nice big self-service coffee machines, so anyone with club access can always stop by for a proper coffee any time.
Fizzer likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 7:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Y
1) We like tea as well as coffee.
and
1a) we also know that tea made in a filter coffee maker tastes foul (even if it’s a fancy Tazo tea, it still tastes dreadful).
I'm a tea drinker & agree w/ that 100%. Doesn't matter which hotel it's at, whether UK or US or elsewhere.

Cheers.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 9:18 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by woodje12
Personally I used these buses exclusively and don't understand the value prop of the Hoppa. The local buses are within the free "Heathrow Zone" so it could not have been easier. Yes a small walk to and from the bus stops but manageable unless maybe the weather is poor?...
The free bus situation has changed a bit from a few years ago. The bus no longer stops across the street. It now stops about a quarter mile away. Frustrated with that, I tried the Hoppa on the way back to LHR. I could not believe the number of stops it made and how slow it was. It even swung around to stop at the Renaissance (which it never did before).

So yeah, the free bus is still better. But if you want quick, it's better to just stay at the Renaissance which is only one free bus stop from LHR -- rather than 3 or 4.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by porciuscato
The free bus situation has changed a bit from a few years ago. The bus no longer stops across the street. It now stops about a quarter mile away. Frustrated with that, I tried the Hoppa on the way back to LHR. I could not believe the number of stops it made and how slow it was. It even swung around to stop at the Renaissance (which it never did before).

So yeah, the free bus is still better. But if you want quick, it's better to just stay at the Renaissance which is only one free bus stop from LHR -- rather than 3 or 4.
Aer you sure about this? Which bus are you talking about? I used the U3 not so long ago and it was still the same, stopping just before/after it turns to/from Hatch Lane. TFL map still shows this to be the case.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 4:01 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by MaxFlying
Aer you sure about this? Which bus are you talking about? I used the U3 not so long ago and it was still the same, stopping just before/after it turns to/from Hatch Lane. TFL map still shows this to be the case.
All the buses used to stop on Colnbrook By-Pass directly in front of the hotel.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 10:04 am

The 350 TO terminal 5 picks up at the stop directly across from the hotel. But that is a main road and I wouldn’t much fancy dragging cases across it at busy times of the day. But the alternative is to walk a further 10 minutes to the left of the hotel and there is a crossing with lights at the Chinese restaurant and a stop is just there. So the choice would be: risk life and limb getting to the closest stop or walk 500 metres. Without bags it’s easier to catch it from directly opposite the hotel
FROM Terminal 5 , it’s just 1 stop on the 350 ( Duke’s Crossing?), past the ominous looking ImmigrationDetention Centre, and Sheraton is about 200 metres along.
IMO, Hoppa is the much better option with bags, for the sake of £5

Last edited by paolo64; Apr 20, 2019 at 11:42 am
Old Apr 20, 2019, 11:38 am

I had a few nights here in early April, longer than I would normally spend in any airport hotel but I wanted easy access to Windsor and central London was only secondary.
The property is better than I recalled from previous overnight stays a few years ago. The renovated ‘executive ‘ rooms on the 3rd floor are large and by no means uncomfortable ( although the bathrooms are pretty cold and unappealing, albeit functional.)
I chose the restaurant full buffet in lieu of points ( the lounge breakfast is the alternative). It was ok, but I’m not sure I’d bother for a short stay. The lounge breakfast looked adequate.
The lounge itself is adjacent to the restaurant ( access via keycard) and is open 24/7. I didn’t care for the style of food offered in the evening but other guests seemed to like it ( small dishes of korma curry and other meat things, plus salads, hummus etc). There is a coffee machine with access outside the staffed hours.
I went into central London twice, via the 350 local bus to T5 ( free), then Piccadilly tube. ( for Mary Quant retro at the V&A, Pierre Bonnard at the Tate and the Abram Games war posters at the Army Museum, all great and on for the next few months). Wouldn’t choose to do it every day, but it’s not that onerous.
At rates well under £100, I’d stay again if in transit or if a visit doesn’t have a specific central London focus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.