Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Phoenix/Tempe Airport [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Phoenix/Tempe Airport [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2014, 5:31 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Any recent reports on treatment of PLTs here? I'll be arriving for a weekend stay on Saturday and also redeemed a SNA. Thanks in advance
Old Jan 1, 2015, 12:35 pm

Programs: AC *50K MM; WS Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Recent stay - Dec 27-20. 2014

Updating this thread based on a recent stay. Requested SNAs but did not come thru -- discovered on arrival that this hotel does not have suites and all Plats are automatically upgraded to the Club floor so the hotel does not process SNAs. Since breakfast is included (in the Club Lounge) in the Club floor rooms, received the 500 point Plat amenity instead. Also took advantage of Make a Green Choice for two nights.

Hotel is undergoing a major refurbishment; the club floor has already been renovated except for the Club Lounge which is scheduled for a major reno (according to the GM) in the next couple of months. Presently the Lounge has a small buffet breakfast in the morning (2 hot items) and appetizers (free) and reasonably-priced drinks in the evening.

Pleasant hotel, in a central location to all the sights we wanted to visit during our time in Phoenix. Free parking, comfortable rooms, good service and decent food at the restaurant the one evening we stopped in. Nice pool and fireplace in the pool area but we did not take advantage of it. We had an issue that was promptly and satisfactorily dealt with by the GM when I raised it so I was pleased with the service recovery.

I would recommend this hotel primarily for the location. If you want a resort-style stay, there are other SPG properties in the area that would better fit the bill, but if you are looking for an acceptable central comfortable place to stay, then this would be a good choice. We like to hike, shop, eat at casual restaurants and this fit our needs well.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 5:57 pm

Programs: HA, DL, UA, PC Gold, A/club Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Pl
Originally Posted by catgirl
Updating this thread based on a recent stay. Requested SNAs but did not come thru -- discovered on arrival that this hotel does not have suites and all Plats are automatically upgraded to the Club floor so the hotel does not process SNAs. Since breakfast is included (in the Club Lounge) in the Club floor rooms, received the 500 point Plat amenity instead. Also took advantage of Make a Green Choice for two nights.

Hotel is undergoing a major refurbishment; the club floor has already been renovated except for the Club Lounge which is scheduled for a major reno (according to the GM) in the next couple of months. Presently the Lounge has a small buffet breakfast in the morning (2 hot items) and appetizers (free) and reasonably-priced drinks in the evening.

Pleasant hotel, in a central location to all the sights we wanted to visit during our time in Phoenix. Free parking, comfortable rooms, good service and decent food at the restaurant the one evening we stopped in. Nice pool and fireplace in the pool area but we did not take advantage of it. We had an issue that was promptly and satisfactorily dealt with by the GM when I raised it so I was pleased with the service recovery.

I would recommend this hotel primarily for the location. If you want a resort-style stay, there are other SPG properties in the area that would better fit the bill, but if you are looking for an acceptable central comfortable place to stay, then this would be a good choice. We like to hike, shop, eat at casual restaurants and this fit our needs well.
thanks for the update...hope to spend 4n here in march 16
Old Dec 8, 2015, 9:40 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
a good place to burn SPG points

Sheraton Phoenix Airport Hotel Tempe

Map| 2 Reviews | 0% Recommended

1600 S 52nd St Tempe, AZ US 85281

a good place to burn SPG points (0 Photo)

I had a one night weekend stay on points in December. The property was not on the list of properties on the Arrivals board at Sky Harbour Airport (strangely, the Aloft was) so I gave them a call on arrival & waited approx. 30 minutes. The entrance is renovated and was very well lit. I was given a room on the 4th (SPG) floor - no upgrade for Plat guest. The room was comfortable & quiet - although I did notice the hallway carpets had a distinctive musty smell. In the am, I hot the lounge for brekkie (6-9 am on weekends) and was instantly disappointed:

- no muesli, no unsweetened yogourt, no bananas;

- no bagels & no wheat breads either;

- onlyteaspoons available - not exactly suited for eating cereal/oat meal;

- only juice was OJ i.e. no apple, tomato, grapefruit;

- the fridge (where the milk is) is behind a closet door i.e. very difficult to access!

Brekkie did include scramble and sausage for those who like that.

The gym is so so - no Nautilius machines. Also, the pool and spa was closed (with no advance notice on the SPG site.)

My am desination was Scottsdale and this turned out to be a bit of a challenge. While I mapped a route in advance using the Light Rail, the hotel shuttle could not drop me at the Light Rail Station. The resulting misadventure (I was told otherwise before booking) cost me 1.5 hours of commuting time and put this property into the "never again" category. On the plus side, it was a relative bargain at 3000 SPG points (or $90 at weekend rate). Overall, its a cheap mattress run but hardly worth recommending.

a good place to burn SPG points

Would you like to write a review on the Sheraton Phoenix Airport Hotel Tempe?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Jul 23, 2016, 12:00 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Any update on the lounge amenities? what's offered at night? Is it better to stay at this hotel or the aloft? I managed to get a rate of 64.5 dollar (pre tax for both hotels) because of the free fourth night of the prestige
Old Jul 23, 2016, 2:51 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Amb LTT, HHonors Diamond, AA ExPlat, United Silver
Originally Posted by howtofreetravel
Any update on the lounge amenities? what's offered at night? Is it better to stay at this hotel or the aloft? I managed to get a rate of 64.5 dollar (pre tax for both hotels) because of the free fourth night of the prestige
Stayed there last month. Lounge was closed due to problem with AC. Had a temporary lounge in the corner of the restaurant. Several hot foods at night with chips and salsa and soft drinks. Hot breakfast with selection of pastries, etc in the AM. Have stayed there numerous times and always treated well as a PLT.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 12:43 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, HILTON, MARRIOTT, SPG
STAY AWAY! Sheraton Phoenix Airport Hotel Tempe

Map| 2 Reviews | 0% Recommended

1600 S 52nd St Tempe, AZ US 85281

STAY AWAY! (0 Photo)

Stay Away! Plenty of Platinum properties in Phoenix!  Been coming to this property for 18 months about every month - and recently they have new management and are loosing top staff.

Not gonna go into all the details - but when the GM quits and many of the friendly staff - that means its time to go to a new hotel. By the way - they are without a GM right now - only have an ‘acting general manger’ and he is terrible at “acting".

When the hotel was running correctly - they had GREAT friendly staff, like Ted, Beverly and Lex. Now its being run by people who do not recognize Platinum members or seem to care about them. I've spent over 10k at this property in the last 18 months and now gonna move my business elsewhere.

STAY AWAY!

Would you like to write a review on the Sheraton Phoenix Airport Hotel Tempe?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Aug 7, 2017, 12:55 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, HILTON, MARRIOTT, SPG
Stay Away! Plenty of Platinum properties in Phoenix! Been coming to this property for 18 months about every month - and recently they have new management and are loosing top staff.Not gonna go into all the details - but when the GM quits and many of the friendly staff - that means its time to go to a new hotel.

By the way - they are without a GM right now - only have an acting general manger and he is terrible at acting.When the hotel was running correctly - they had GREAT friendly staff, like Ted, Beverly and Lex. Now its being run by people who do not recognize Platinum members or seem to care about them. I've spent over 10k at this property in the last 18 months and now gonna move my business elsewhere.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
The upgrades will probably keep at bay the Wyndamization of this property for another five years.

I found rooms in good order, with new bedding (very, very soft) and furniture. Bath tub/tile/vanities/fixtures in good shape. Lounge offerings were typical of a low-priced U.S. Sheraton (alas). The pool area could use a good power washing, some new furniture, and some color.

A warning to light sleepers: the LG & Amana thru-wall HVAC units I found were among the noisiest I have ever discovered. Don't forget how long summer lasts and how much you'll need to run these beasts.

It's fairly close to PHX terminals and rental car return. The property operates a shuttle. At the right price, this property has a place.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 8:29 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Any recent stays or updates on this property, and what one might expect as a plat? I'm looking at staying here for a couple days over a weekend soon. (The price is good, and for this trip I only need a basic bed and some coffee in the morning, but knowing what to expect regarding the club lounge, upgrades, etc. would be good to know!)
Old Oct 5, 2018, 8:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I'd like to know if the club lounge is open on the weekend so I can update the exec lounge sticky. Any info appreciated. Thx.

Cheers.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 7:42 pm

Nothing posted on the sign outside the lounge, but the front desk says "Yes, it is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week".
Old Jan 23, 2019, 8:53 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I'd like to know if the club lounge is open on the weekend so I can update the exec lounge sticky. Any info appreciated. Thx.

Cheers.
Originally Posted by armature
Nothing posted on the sign outside the lounge, but the front desk says "Yes, it is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week".
I did end up staying here in October 2018. Upgraded to a club level floor. When I was there the club sign said open daily 6-9am and 5-8pm for service. (Pic below. I'm guessing the sign wasn't there for armature?). Can confirm that there was a lounge breakfast service on weekends when I was there; wasn't around for the evenings though.

Old Feb 5, 2019, 7:29 am

That sign or one similar to it was and, still is, there (since I'm here again this week), but those hours are just for the Attendant. Guests can come and go from the lounge around the clock. They just need to use their keycard. I wandered in around 130am for water last night after a late arrival. Last visit included a similar late night acquiring of diet soda.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 8:10 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Was someone murdered at the Sheraton PHX? The place is a ghost town ($60/night). The lounge was not attended at 6am and the likelihood that it would be attended at 7 or 8am was nil. The FDA reluctantly gave me a breakfast voucher when she knew during my midnight arrival that this would be the case. Breakfast spread in the restaurant is likely what it would’ve been in the lounge were it not the size of my room. There are Four Points (yes, the one at LAX comes to mind) properties with better spreads. Speaking of rooms, I had a full view of the wall (and only a partial of the pool). Obviously, if time weren’t a factor, then I would’ve stayed at the Westin downtown ($70/night), but my flight to Burbank is at 10am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.