Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton San Diego, Mission Valley [Master Thread]

Sheraton San Diego, Mission Valley [Master Thread]

Old Jan 7, 05, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Arrow Sheraton San Diego, Mission Valley [Master Thread]

This is a new hotel opening next week - I've booked a 10K award for 3 nights (4th of July weekend) - anyone know anything about this property? Does anyone know if it's far from Ocean Beach (I have friends there whom I'm planning on visiting that weekend)? The rate's currently 189/night, so I think it's worth the 10K ($567 value). Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 7, 05, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Nevermind...

Just got my e-mail confirmation & it only booked one out the 3 days I requested. Called SPG Customer Service, they told me the hotel is completely sold out (how is that possible - it hasn't even opened!?!) I decided to cancel the one night that I was given the room for - I think there's something up with their system.
Old Jan 7, 05, 3:07 pm
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This hotel is currently a Radisson. Maybe 15 minutes to Ocean Beach?

Link to Priceline reviews:
http://p070.ezboard.com/fpricelinean...icID=202.topic
Old Jan 7, 05, 4:56 pm

Programs: No More Loyalty
One option is to try booking it on the Radisson web site. I'm not sure how they're managing inventory, but I'm willing to bet there are holes/gaps in the system right now. (The hotel officially switches hands on the 11th, I believe.)

If you have a car, the location of the hotel is pretty convenient. A comparable option nearby is the Hilton Mission Valley. I've recently compared the two for an upcoming trip, and the Hilton was consistenly lower priced as well.
Old Jan 19, 05, 10:10 am

Sheraton Mission Valley San Diego

I am staying at the rebranded Sheraton Mission Valley in San Diego, and just have a quick question. They went from a Radisson to a Sheraton January 11, and claim to have the Sweet Sleeper Beds. I know they have the pillows and linens, but I am not for sure about the actual mattress. Is the Sweet Sleeper a pillow top similar to the heavenly bed? I checked out my bed and it does not have a pillow top, just a 14" mattress.
Old Jan 19, 05, 1:41 pm
Original Member

Programs: SPG/Marriott Lifetime Gold, Amtrak Guest Rewards, United Silver
Don't know about the beds, but...

I had a reasonably enjoyable time.

I stayed there one night (January 12, 2005, check out January 13, 2005). I was upgraded to a club room.

The bed seemed fine, though I cannot answer if the mattress itself was a "Sweet Sleeper". Everything on top seemed Sheraton bedding, as UD Eric wrote.

The evening club munchies were just "deep-fried artichoke hearts". While tasty, I think that putting "deep-fried" in the same sentence as "hearts" is probably not the best way to go . The breakfast was pastries.

The room itself looked to be a standard hotel room plus a balcony (on the non-Interstate 8 side). Two problems with the room: (1) Even though it was a non-smoking room (so-marked outside the room), there was a non-empty ashtray in the room between the balcony and the easy chair and (2) the modem wasn't plugged in to the power, making for a few minutes of figuring that out. I didn't mention either to the front desk until I checked out (the ashtray I didn't notice until right before I went to bed). When I did, partly so they knew and partly in the hope of Service Promise points, the clerk simply apologized. Service Promise "reparations" are at the will of the Sheraton employee, and I didn't push it.

I parked at the hotel, and the overnight bill under the door indicated $7.00 for parking. I had parked, but I was never asked if I had a car (I could have been dropped off by a taxi for all they knew). In any case, the webpage at www.spg.com for the hotel indicates "Free Parking Facilities". When I called down to the front desk, it was promptly taken off.

NOTE: This hotel really requires a car. The shopping area across the highway is within walking distance, but it is not an enjoyable walk. The San Diego trolley is also nominally within walking distance, but it is quite a walk (maybe 15-20 minutes) from the hotel on the other side of the highway (i.e., the shopping-mall side).

I primarily stayed here to try it out (I was attending a conference at the Hotel Circle), but I'm uncertain about staying here again -- the location isn't all that pleasant, it is difficult to walk to places to eat (though there are a Denny's and a Wendy's on the hotel side of the highway within 5 minutes), and there is really nothing else around the hotel that interests me. As they say, your mileage may vary. I'm planning to attend the Comic-Con International this summer, and have already booked a room at the Sheraton Suites downtown. That'll leave the W and the US Grant as the San Diego Starwoods I haven't sampled...
Old May 20, 05, 10:43 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AA LT Plat, DL Silver
Arrow Sheraton Mission Valley, San Diego (Master Thread)

Stayed at this hotel as a Platinum while attending a recent event at the convention center. For those of you that are not that familiar with San Diego,(like me), this place is a great alternative to the downtown properties.

You do need a car, but it less than a 10 minute drive to downtown convention center area. Parking is free and there is a lounge serving cont. breakfast in the morning and cocktails/snacks in the evening. I was upgraded to suite on top floor without asking and the room was really nice and huge with the sweet sleeper bed. Oh yeah...a nice big terrace!

My only negative comment, of sorts, is the attendant at the continental breakfast did her job and kept food stocked and tables clean, but was both unfriendly and an unhelpful person. Not even a good morning offered or returned! The toaster was kind of in a strange location and when people asked if one existed, they got a grunt and a point! OK, she did what she was suppossed to do, but I will tell you this...while I was in the lounge for 30 minutes or so, about 10 people were in an out....it seemed that just about everybody commented that she looked bored, and not one person left even $1.00 for her. As long as she needs work and had to be there, might as well try a smile and make a few bucks. This was a rare exception where I felt no remorse for not leaving a few dollars on the table.

Other than that...which again was just a side comment, this was a great property.
Old May 22, 05, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by PhxFlyGuy
Parking is free....
The @wood web site now says this prop charges for parking. When I stayed there a couple of months ago, they tried to charge me for parking even though the site (at that time) said parking was free.
Old May 22, 05, 11:26 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Sirecca
The @wood web site now says this prop charges for parking. When I stayed there a couple of months ago, they tried to charge me for parking even though the site (at that time) said parking was free.
As of last weekend there was no charge for parking. The hotel is all self-parking, by the way.

I thought this hotel was fine, though I wouldn't stay there again by choice. There are other, much better properties, in much better locations in S.D. We were not staying on Starpoints, but for those who do, it is a pretty decent value as a Cat. 2, especially given the city.

The rooms have been refurbished and are fairly nice. The Sheraton Sweet Sleeper beds are no Heavenly Bed (HUGE difference in sheets, mostly), but respectable for the price point.

I was there with several family members for an unexpected funeral. We had several rooms. I worked with the Plat Concierge in advance to work out names for each room, types of beds, etc. When we got there there was a mess at the front desk. The "Assistant Manager" on duty who checked us in was less than helpful; in fact, he could have cared less. He just handed me key card folders for the number of rooms and said, "they're all the same," which, of course, they weren't. It was a real hassle trying to sort through all the keys and checking the rooms ourselves to see what configurations existed so that we knew who was in each room. In spite of my many rooms, all purchased Club Level, and a request from Plat Concierge, no Plat upgrade. I can't say I was surprised.

The Club Lounge is not open in the AM on the weekend, not even coffee.

We had a group dinner in the restaurant one night and found the food above average with a good selection and the service to be outstanding.

One important tip: If road noise bothers you, request a room on the back side of the hotel, which faces into a nice, lush, green mountainside -- if you squinted your eyes you might be able to convince yourself you were in Hawaii. The front of the hotel, on the otherhand, faces I-8, which is a very busy interestate. If you're in the Club Level your room will have a balcony (lower floors mostly do not). It is so loud you cannot sit outside and have a conversation without yelling at the person next to you. Rooms on the back side were an entirely different experience.
Old May 22, 05, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
As of last weekend there was no charge for parking.
Well, at least they are consistently inconsistent.

While it wasn't horrible, I wouldn't chose to stay there again.
Old May 29, 05, 11:45 pm

Programs: AA 2 MM LIfetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Silver, BA
I will be staying at the end of June for a family function - Family is about 10 minutes away. Should the request for the back side of the hotel - or for an upgrade (Gold) be done at check-in or in advance by phone?
Old May 30, 05, 12:04 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dgordon
I will be staying at the end of June for a family function - Family is about 10 minutes away. Should the request for the back side of the hotel - or for an upgrade (Gold) be done at check-in or in advance by phone?
I would definitely call and ask that a request be placed in your reservation, just in case they make room assignments and create keys prior to your arrival. I am a Platinum member and had multiple rooms reserved and the assistant manager who checked me in was clearly doing room allocations and making keys while we all stood there, but you never know what may happen on the day you arrive. It certainly can't hurt to have your preference noted. You can always also work it when you arrive but at least you'll be on somewhat stronger ground having made the request well in advance.
Old May 30, 05, 10:43 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold
I just got back from this hotel -- I stayed three nights on points over the Memorial day weekend.

Just to clarify - there is a $7 per day parking. They waive this charge for Platinums. I'm still at the Gold level, so I was stuck with the charge. Can't complain too much though -- I didn't pay anything for the room!

This was my first time to San Diego, I went with my girlfriend to spend some time relaxing at the beach and exploring a new city. There was a wedding going on this weeekend, and all the Club level rooms were apparantly booked up, so unfourtunately I was not upgraded. But, the non-smoking king room on the 8th floor was pretty nice for Sheraton standards. The furniture is very modern and the beds are quite comfortable. The regular rooms don't have balconies, only the club level rooms. My room did face the highway, but noice wasn't much of a problem. I slept fine.

If you do have a car, the location is great for accessing both downtown and the beaches. Coming from Atlanta, I was surprised at how close everything is in San Diego! It was never more than a 5 or 10 minute drive to anywhere we wanted to go. There's also a large shopping mall with a Target and AMC theaters right across the highway from the hotel, which was convenient.

The concierge was an older woman who was very friendly and helpful. She gave us a sheet with directions to all the major attractions and areas to and from the hotel.

Overall, I had a great time in San Diego, and the Sheraton Mission Valley was more than adequate. I would stay here again. You can't beat the value for only 3,000 points per weekend night.
Old May 31, 05, 6:09 am

Programs: AA 2 MM LIfetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Silver, BA
Thanks for such a recent update. I won't be having a car so I won't have to worry about parking. It's near family so they will pick me up for the family functions. So, there are no charges associated with the stay - no per night charges that you have if you were paying for the room? The rest of the family that is coming in will be staying at a comfort inn not far away, but free is better than $70 a night(times3).
Old May 31, 05, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by PhxFlyGuy
You do need a car, but it less than a 10 minute drive to downtown convention center area.
The San Diego trolley runes from Mission Valley to downtown, you can walk to the trolley stop from the hotel, it is safe and less than a 5 minute walk. The trolley stops directly outside the convention center.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: