Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton San Diego, Mission Valley [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton San Diego, Mission Valley [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2005, 11:56 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by dgordon
So, there are no charges associated with the stay - no per night charges that you have if you were paying for the room?
Nope, no surprises ...
My checkout bill only included incidentals -- three nights of parking at $7 each, and a couple days of high-speed internet at $9.95 a day. They do not charge taxes or fees on a starpoints stay.
Old May 31, 2005, 2:09 pm

Did your room have a frig or mini-bar? We are thinking of using points for a week there and would really like a refrigerator. Thanks!
Old May 31, 2005, 11:58 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold
No, there was not a fridge or minibar in the standard room. I don't know about the suites or club rooms. This is typical of other Sheraton hotels that I've stayed at in the past.
Old Jun 1, 2005, 6:10 am
Original Member

Programs: SPG/Marriott Lifetime Gold, Amtrak Guest Rewards, UA Silver
Originally Posted by digbyamb
The San Diego trolley runes from Mission Valley to downtown, you can walk to the trolley stop from the hotel, it is safe and less than a 5 minute walk. The trolley stops directly outside the convention center.
The walk to the Mission Valley stop from the Sheraton is a bit longer than 5 minutes (and I think I walk pretty quickly). It is on the other side of Interstate 8 from the hotel, and on the other side of the shopping mall from the interstate. While I wasn't killed and therefore it may have been "safe", I had to cross a few roads and entrances to the Mall and walk across a parking lot (I note there is a bridge over I-8).

This is almost a case of the figurative "you can't get there from here".
Old Jun 1, 2005, 6:56 am

Programs: AA 2 MM LIfetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Silver, BA
Sometimes hotels will put in a small fridge upon request at no charge. Worth asking for in advance.
Old Jun 20, 2005, 10:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, AA LT Gold, Radisson Gold, Hertz PC, HP Masters emeritus (sigh)
Anyone else have an experience with upgrades as a Plat at this property? I'm trying to guess whether I have a good chance of getting a Suite here or whether to book Sheraton Suites (have kids traveling also).
Thanks.
Old Jun 20, 2005, 11:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
The walk to the Trolley station is at least 15 minutes+ You must walk to the overpass, walk over it, and walk through a shopping centre shopping lot. Good excercise though Now they have a shuttle there which will take you there. Also provides transportation to SAN. Which I was told of too late after lugging my luggage on the trolley
Old Jun 23, 2005, 12:46 pm

I may be in the minority here...

...but I prefer the nearby Four Points on Aero Drive. Much quieter area, and still close enough to downtown, shopping, etc.
I stay there at least once/week. The non-renovated rooms are awful, but the renovated suites are better than most rooms at the MV Sheraton. Parking is free, internet is free, and the Starbucks cart and restaurant are idine participants. If you're looking for a fun bar though, forget it.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 11:21 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, PC PLT SPIRE
Sometimes hotels will put in a small fridge upon request at no charge. Worth asking for in advance.
Whenever I travel with the two Pupsters, I ask for a fridge to be placed in the room (for snacks, milk, etc.). I'm rarely if ever charged.
Old Jun 24, 2005, 8:39 am

Programs: United 1K, MR Plat, SPG Plat
At least we were upgraded!

This used to be the Mission Valley Raddison. Not a great hotel. Would only stay there again if I had to. Stayed on a Saturday night this past March.

As a Plat, we were upgraded to a one bedroom suite on the club floor, facing the mountain. The room itself was nice and I was glad we had a suite as we had just flown in from the east coast and spouse and little OU were tired and immediately crashed (well after 1:00am EST when we got to our room). As it turns out, the Sheraton decided to put a group of college kids in different rooms on the floor. That night they were partying and very drunk, so they were running between rooms, yelling and screaming, etc. I was sleeping on the pull out in the living area of the suite and every time I just started to fall asleep the yelling and screaming would start again. This continued until nearly 4:30Am (PST) until the police were called by another guest. My wife and daughter heard nothing and were not disturbed at all. When we checked out the next morning, I complained about the noise and the clerk said, "There's really nothing we can do about the noise, security visited the floor several times and finally a guest called the police. But we don't know before hand how guests are going to act." (College kids, spring break and you don't know how they are going to act, hmmm...) I mentioned the Sheraton Promise and she said how's about 1500 points, I said how's about 5000, which I received after she talked to her supervisor.

Good Points:
Upgraded room
Above average food
5000 points for Sheraton Promise

Bad Points:
$7 charge for self parking in an uncovered, unsecured lot.
Overcharged for Coffee and Juice that were supposed to be included in Room Service Breakfast entree
Staff rudness/indifference
Still have not received 500 Platinum Amentity points dispite repeated phone calls and faxing of folio

This was my wife's first experience with Sheraton and SPG and she was not impressed. She did not even like the sweet sleeper bed. (Although she gave the shower high marks.) I guess we should have stayed at the Westin or W downtown. (Usually stay at Marriotts when traveling with her and little OU.)

RIP...
Old Jun 27, 2005, 10:30 pm

I guess everyone has different expectations. I just returned this evening from a three night stay using 10,000 points. Maybe because it was "free" I was very pleased - would it be worth $169 a night compared to something else, I don't know. I asked for mountatin side and was on the second floor which is a non-smoking floor and there wasn't a view, but I wasn't sitting looking for a view. My room was actually a handicapped room, although I didn't need one or asked for one - perhaps no one needed one. All the club rooms were gone as there was a big wedding. I should have checked in earlier than I did, but I kind of forgot about upgrading - and when I asked they said that they do it the night before on their own, not by when people check in. The bed was nice, the shower was nice, and when I asked if I could go to the club room if I'm gold but not on the club floor, they asked me how many were in my party and since it was just me, I said so and he gave me 3 buffet breakfast coupons. An $11 value each, or up to $15 value if they buffet wasn't going on. I didn't use the one on Sunday, so a couple of my relatives came over and had breakfast with me this morning and I was expecting to pay for one of the breakfasts, and the waitress just let it go ( it was the end of the buffet). They have a free shuttle to the airport, which I didn't use, but it is nice to know that they have it. So....I will save my starpoints to use at this hotel for sure!!!
Old Jun 28, 2005, 9:29 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
I guess everyone has different expectations. . .
I think that's exactly right. Given how high rates can be in San Diego, this hotel is a good value, make that an excellent value, as a Cat. 2. It is hard to find such a value for SPG points these days, given the increasing category levels for so many hotels.

To me, the choice of this hotel comes down to a couple of issues. If you are looking for a nice, luxurious vacation in San Diego, unless your standards are pretty flexible, you'll probably be disappointed. Personally, I tend to believe that, in general, you should be prepared to get what you pay for (whether it be in the number of dollars or the number of points/miles). This is one of the cheapest, lowest category SPG properties in Southern California. Having set expectations accordingly, a stay here will probably be just fine.
Old Jun 28, 2005, 9:43 am

This visit was to see family, and I chose a "free" stay over the Comfort Inn that my relatives were staying at paying about $80 a night give or take. I think my accommodations were much nicer, and I only slept there and this place is 10 minutes from where they live. My guess is that if I wanted the Hilton a couple of doors down I would have to use a lot more points. Anyway, I hope that they don't change the category so I can continue to use this place on my visits to San Diego.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 2:34 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Smile This place is growing on me.

I've had several more stays at this hotel in the past month-and-a-half. In spite of my prior experiences here, which were just so-so, I chose it because of its proximity to the SDSU Medical Center, which is where I've been spending so much time with an ill family member. I have to say that the place has grown on me in all the nights I've been there of late.

The front-desk staff was very accommodating about adding on additional nights as I needed to. When I first arrived, I had no idea how long I would need to be there and they were very willing to extend my stay, at the same rate, on a day-by-day basis.

On each stay, I've been upgraded (I'm a Platinum member) to the club floor. Last weekend, I was upgraded to a suite on the 14th floor. That floor is all-suites, with higher ceilings and a more elegant feel, at least in the hallway. The suite I had was a one-bedroom suite with a standard-sized bedroom but with an enlarged bathroom, attached to a separate room with a sofa & chair, desk and dining/conference table for 8-10 people. The furnishings in the suite are the same as in the guest rooms and while there is quite a lot of space, the furniture doesn't fill it. It feels cavernous; perhaps because of the high ceilings and odd layout. There is also a patio which runs the length of both rooms. My suite faced the backside of the hotel, which is MUCH, MUCH quieter than being on the front of the hotel, which faces Interstate 8.

The part of this hotel that really shines is the club lounge on the 12th floor. There is a hot breakfast served in the morning, which always includes hot items such as waffles, pancakes, breakfast omelettes, or the like. There is a nice spread of fresh muffins, fresh fruit, juices, cereal, granola, fruit bars, good coffee, etc. It has to be one of the best club room spreads I've seen at a Sheraton in a long time. (Similar to the Sheraton Tech Center, for those who have been there.) The best part, though, is the staff. The lady's name escapes me at the moment, but she works in the lounge 5 or 6 days a week, both morning and night. She's absolutely delightful. I have to find out her name and let the GM know what an extraordinary team member she is.

Location-wise, this hotel is not at the beach, by any means, but is close to a lot of restaurants and right at the intersection of the major freeways serving the area, so it's easy to get virtually anywhere in greater San Diego relatively quickly.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 7:58 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro 2MM, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Bonvoy Gold
I stayed at the SMV last night, and I agree with what most of what AZ Travels the World has to say. I checked in a few hours before the regular check-in time, so I took a room on the SPG floor (10th floor), but I was given a key card to access the club lounge on the 12th floor. The same lady that AZ Travels the World mentioned was there for the evening reception and the continental breakfast. Both the reception and the breakfast had a good variety of choices, and the lady who worked there was outstanding, really cheerful and helpful. The gentleman who checked me in was also very helpful, offering me a goody bag (which might have been left-over from something else, so probably not standard) with a bottle of Fiji water, an apple, and snack bar, as well as a bottle of cold water.

The only issue I had was with the wireless internet, which I found out later is not really offered by the hotel. I purchased the access from Wayport using my credit card, and the connection was terrible. When I asked about it, Guest Services sent someone from engineering to my room, and he told me that I should have used the wired connection instead. However, that required purchasing the Wayport connection through the hotel. Guest Services promised to remove the charge and did so.

This hotel does not offer the convenience of the downtown hotels, or the views that some of the rooms have at the Sheraton Harbor Island. However, I would not hesitate to return to this hotel next time I am in the area. In addition, having an In-N-Out not too far away (next to the Mission Valley Center across I-8) and being about 10 minutes from the airport are pluses!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.