FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in Raleigh/Durham (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/371759-marriott-bonvoy-hotels-raleigh-durham.html)

2TallSeaFlyer Nov 15, 2004 1:37 pm

Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in Raleigh/Durham

I intend on giving my sister and husband a weekend getaway (using Starpoints), their first break from their 5 month old.

I'm looking for a recommendation on the nicest property in the Raleigh/Durham area, does one stand out from the rest?

I appreciate any feedback!

RDU-DL&SPG Nov 15, 2004 1:51 pm

2Tall...I live in the area...SPG only has 3 properties in the area, all 3 are sherton and not sure I'd put them in the 'romantic' category... Sheraton Raleigh is downtown Raleigh (not a real downtown, but round here, it's a downtown) the rooms are v nice, can get some good views, etc. but the best part is being able to walk to some good restaurants, nightlife in evenings and be able to go to museums, historical sites, etc. during the day. Sheraton Chapel Hill is probably the most "romantic" of the 3, but that's because once you're on the property you feel away from things...and can enjoy meals there, etc. and if they have a 5mo old, might appreciate the quiet of it. Plus if they haven't spent much time in Chapel Hill, it's a short drive over to franklin street for some good restuarants/window shopping, and some time browsing the "A Southern Season" store is a treat. The Sheraton Imperial (I think they list it in the city of Durham, even though it's on the east side of the Research Triangle Park) is right the middle of an office park area, nothing in walking distance (exc office bldgs) and it looking pretty dated.

So my 'recommendation' is that if they're looking to take advantage of their time together to feel like they're getting out, and want to enjoy a little nightlife hit the Sheraton Raleigh; otoh, if they want to 'feel' some peace & quiet and do more hang time at the hotel than anything else, then I'd suggest the Sheraton in Chapel Hill.

As a note, in a couple of months, a Westin will be opening up...but for now, that's all we got 'round here SPG wise. Feel free to send me a private message if you want more info.

aslsigner May 8, 2005 8:57 am

I was just in the area and did a little trip report on the flight back home.

In general, I was impressed with the Sheraton Raleigh Hotel. It’s location is in downtown Raleigh so it's great if you are going to the Convention Center or the courthouse.
I called in a day before to secure an upgrade and got their executive suite on the 14th floor. This suite was basically two rooms converted into a suite where one room had a pullout sleeper couch, a second television and a dinner table and the other was a standard room.
The concierge lounge was decent and there was no charge for the beer and wine. The view is directly down upon some construction but you can see the Capital building from the lounge. The business center was also free for everyone, which allowed you to use the computer and printer for no charge. The gym wasn't great: it had one elliptical machine, two treadmills and two bikes. There was one nautilus type machine and free weights that only went up to 30 lbs. The pool looked big enough to do laps in but I forgot my trunks so I didn’t get full use of that.

A couple of annoyances, however:
There was no Wall Street Journal. As a financial analyst and a frequenter of Starwood properties, I was mighty perturbed about that.
The hotel is in the middle of an urban city so there are no real shopping opportunities in the area. You'll have to have a car or hail a cab.
For people going to the airport (RDU), you'll need to take a shared van called White Horse as the hotel doesn't provide the service and it costs $35 each way.
The doors don't provide much insulation as I could hear many of the conversations in the hall.

Aside from these small things, I would stay there again if I were in the area.

Helena Handbaskets May 8, 2005 7:29 pm

I'm guessing the OP's sister and husband don't want to wait any longer than they need to, but I remember reading on another thread here that a hotel at Crabtree Valley in Raleigh is being converted and should open as a Westin later this year.

EWC-JMU May 10, 2005 1:32 pm

Agree on Sheraton Raleigh

Agree that this is probably the best bet in the Triangle based on what the OP said, based on location, quality of hotel, etc. It will never be mistaken for the Mardavall or the Blue Palace in terms of sheer luxury, but it's comfortable enough.

Downtown Raleigh is still a couple of years away from being a true "destination" in the sense of what, say, Charlotte, has done to it's down(Up)town area, but I think it will get there. But there are some good dining/entertainment options that are very close to the Sheraton Raleigh.

Hope the OP's relatives enjoy their stay here!

2TallSeaFlyer May 10, 2005 6:52 pm

Apparently, the Westin Crabtree is on hold until first quarter of 2006. :( And we had been waiting...

Thanks for the feedback on the Raleigh Sheraton!

T

EWC-JMU May 11, 2005 4:31 pm

It ain't opening this fall, but...

Originally Posted by 2TallSeaFlyer
Apparently, the Westin Crabtree is on hold until first quarter of 2006. :( And we had been waiting...

Thanks for the feedback on the Raleigh Sheraton!

T

I drive by the building that is to become the Westin Crabtree (that same building used to be a Sheraton, btw, among other things) every day and hereby attest that nothing's been done. But if they start work in the next few months a 1Q '06 opening is feasible. I'm hoping it doesn't go the way of the Ritz Plaza -- wait, no, it's going to be the W South Beach, but no, it's still the Ritz Plaza -- fiasco in Miami Beach of a few years back.

That said, once it's done I think that the hotel should do well. That part of town (and the Triangle in general, IMHO) is in need of a higher-end property. Right now, its competition will be an Embassy Suites and a Marriott basically across the street (I'm told the Marriott is not so good) and a Holiday Inn (this one I know is not so good) and some lower-tier Hilton and Marriott offerings within about a mile. We locals think of Crabtree as a shopping/entertainment destination but there are tons of businesses close by.

AskTravis Apr 9, 2006 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by EWC-JMU
I drive by the building that is to become the Westin Crabtree (that same building used to be a Sheraton, btw, among other things) every day and hereby attest that nothing's been done. But if they start work in the next few months a 1Q '06 opening is feasible.

Any word on if this hotel is opened/opening soon? I'm headed down to RDU at the end of the month, didn't see the Westin on the SPG site. Booked into the Sheraton Raleigh for now, but always up for a new hotel!

Thanks,

T.

SST Apr 9, 2006 8:36 pm

IMHO, the Sheraton Raleigh is about as posh as an average Holiday Inn. I've only stayed there on a weekend, but the room I was given as a platinum was about as standard as they come. View was of the tall building next door, no lounge at least on weekends, a bar that featured probably three other guests on a Saturday night, 5x6' bathrooms, the gall to suggest pay parking, and nothing in particular open within sight on a Saturday afternoon or evening, unless you count the local justice bldg.! There was also currently quite a construction extravaganza on the street in February, when I was there.

Sure, you can walk west to a sort of entertainment district a few blocks away, but with nobody on the street and the aforementioned cop shop/court/(jail?), I decided to drive. Just not a real nice location. Staff was OK, but didn't seem interested in any platinum recognition. It's also a long drive to the airport. Can't really recommend this hotel for a romantic weekend. There's GOT to be a better choice.

AskTravis Apr 9, 2006 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by SST
Can't really recommend this hotel for a romantic weekend. There's GOT to be a better choice.

ya... I'm just going for a work meeting, I just hijacked an old thread..

I'm now thinking of doing one night here and one night at the hotel in Durham, just to add up some stays... can't hurt...

T.

Helena Handbaskets Apr 10, 2006 9:41 am

Originally Posted by AskTravis
I'm now thinking of doing one night here and one night at the hotel in Durham, just to add up some stays... can't hurt...

T.

That's the strategy I adopt when I'm in Raleigh a few times a year on 2- night stays. Arriving from the west, I spend the first night at the Durham (actually it should be an RDU-airport location since it's between Durham and Raleigh) and the second night in Raleigh.

Looks like the Westin's been delayed even further. Anyone know a reliable open date?

PMASON Jun 17, 2006 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by Helena Handbaskets
That's the strategy I adopt when I'm in Raleigh a few times a year on 2- night stays. Arriving from the west, I spend the first night at the Durham (actually it should be an RDU-airport location since it's between Durham and Raleigh) and the second night in Raleigh.

Looks like the Westin's been delayed even further. Anyone know a reliable open date?

The Westin Crabtree (Raleigh) has resurfaced as part of a 47 floor building called the Soleil Center. Please see www.soleilcenter.com.

wendySFO Jun 18, 2006 10:26 am

Originally Posted by RDU-DL&SPG
The Sheraton Imperial (I think they list it in the city of Durham, even though it's on the east side of the Research Triangle Park) is right the middle of an office park area, nothing in walking distance (exc office bldgs) and it looking pretty dated.

Just stayed at Sheraton Imperial for two nights. It is a pretty well-run hotel in my opinion but it is probably more business oriented and it is dated that it has worn carpet and very noisy air conditioning. I had a room near the side elevators that has a little extension for two side windows. For some reason, there is a constant cracking noise from the windows which was very annoying. Everything was adequate for a short stay, has free high speed internet connection, TV channel has HBO/DISNEY/DISCOVERY/CNN... I have no status with SGP so no idea what the upgraded room will look like. Seems they also has a lounge there.

Had room service one night as returned from business was already after 10PM and didn't feel like hunting what's available to eat. Surprisingly the food was really good so I assume their resturant would be a good dining choice.

SkyTeam777 Jul 26, 2006 3:16 pm

Is the club lounge open on weekends at the Sheraton Imperial in Durham? or only during the week?

janeway Jul 26, 2006 5:36 pm

Alternatives to Sheraton

Best hotels in Triangle:

1) Washington-Duke Inn - not affiliated with any chain, but AAA 4 diamond hotel on golf course (if golf is your thing). Actually is across the streat from the infamous Duke campus lacrosse practice field.

2) Sienna Hotel - member of "Summit Hotels and Resorts" also AAA 4 diamond hotel in Chapel Hill (Il Palio also has some of best italian food around, and winner of Wine Spectator award since 1990)

3) Carolina Inn - yet another AAA 4 diamond hotel with Mobil 4 star award restaurant also, in the heart of Chapel Hill. Used to be managed by Doubletree, but I don't think so anymore.

There aren't any really outstanding chain hotels in the area, that I am aware of, and when I have friends looking for places to stay in the area, I'd send them to one of these three places.