FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in Raleigh/Durham (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/371759-marriott-bonvoy-hotels-raleigh-durham.html)

Helena Handbaskets Jul 26, 2006 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by janeway
Best hotels in Triangle:

1) Washington-Duke Inn - not affiliated with any chain, but AAA 4 diamond hotel on golf course (if golf is your thing). Actually is across the streat from the infamous Duke campus lacrosse practice field.

2) Sienna Hotel - member of "Summit Hotels and Resorts" also AAA 4 diamond hotel in Chapel Hill (Il Palio also has some of best italian food around, and winner of Wine Spectator award since 1990)

3) Carolina Inn - yet another AAA 4 diamond hotel with Mobil 4 star award restaurant also, in the heart of Chapel Hill. Used to be managed by Doubletree, but I don't think so anymore.

There aren't any really outstanding chain hotels in the area, that I am aware of, and when I have friends looking for places to stay in the area, I'd send them to one of these three places.

While staying at the Sheraton Chapel Hill once, the Il Palio restaurant at the Siena Hotel was recommended. I was so impressed by the really outstanding service, the nice, comfortable elegance, and the quite good food at remarkably affordable prices, that I asked to see one of the rooms. I suppose I'd say it's a nice room, but I was underwhelmed. Maybe it's because I was so impressed by the restaurant, I was disappointed that the room didn't seem to meet the same standard. As janeway says, not really outstanding. The Siena Hotel generally charges ca. $200/night compared to ca. $140 or so at the Sheraton. While the Sheraton is a fairly run-of-the-mill Sheraton, for the money I'll return there over the Siena, though I'll be back to eat at Il Palio.

There's a B&B out in the country nearby called the Fearrington House that presents and prices itself as a luxury accommodation, but I've not been there to say for sure if it lives up to its image.

MeNoSay Jul 27, 2006 8:21 am

The Siena is showing a lot of wear. The restaurant is still quite good.

Considering that the Sheraton AND Carolina Inn are much cheaper, it's hard to justify staying at the Siena (especially when the CI is so much closer for University business and to the downtown commercial area).

EWC-JMU Jul 27, 2006 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by Helena Handbaskets

There's a B&B out in the country nearby called the Fearrington House that presents and prices itself as a luxury accommodation, but I've not been there to say for sure if it lives up to its image.

The B&B and associated restaurant do live up to their image IMHO. A very nice place. I should point out that the B&B/restaurant are not really free-standing. Fearrington House is part of Fearrington Village, which is a faux-country village-cum-housing development type deal that folks may or may not find appealing as a destination.

dbmaury Jul 27, 2006 8:50 pm

[QUOTE=janeway]

3) Carolina Inn - yet another AAA 4 diamond hotel with Mobil 4 star award restaurant also, in the heart of Chapel Hill. Used to be managed by Doubletree, but I don't think so anymore.

QUOTE]

When you click reservations on their site, it takes you to DT reservations, so I assume it still a DT property.

SkyTeam777 Jun 9, 2007 10:12 pm

Apparently some major renovation work is being planned at the Sheraton in Raleigh. Does anyone have details?

lintemut Apr 1, 2008 6:07 am

Last week I stayed at the Four Points in Durham. The SPG website lists the hotel as being built in the last few years. It feels like a new hotel. This is the nicest Four Points I have stayed in.

HDTV, Free Wired/Wireless Internet, Upgraded to Jr. Suite, Open Airy Lobby, Decent Rate.

I would return to this property.

It appears Starwood is trying to improve the image of Four Points, so why do they have toiletries that prominently say MADE IN CHINA?

abk Apr 1, 2008 8:16 am

Originally Posted by lintemut (Post 9499656)
Last week I stayed at the Four Points in Durham. The SPG website lists the hotel as being built in the last few years. It feels like a new hotel. This is the nicest Four Points I have stayed in.

HDTV, Free Wired/Wireless Internet, Upgraded to Jr. Suite, Open Airy Lobby, Decent Rate.

I would return to this property.

It appears Starwood is trying to improve the image of Four Points, so why do they have toiletries that prominently say MADE IN CHINA?

i have stayed there also and really like the hotel.

aleksir May 5, 2008 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by lintemut (Post 9499656)

Good news indeed^ My nephew is getting married in September and we just booked there for the wedding.

paytonc May 5, 2008 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by EWC-JMU (Post 6131273)
Fearrington House is part of Fearrington Village, which is a faux-country village-cum-housing development type deal that folks may or may not find appealing as a destination.

Fearrington Inn is AAA five diamond rated, if that says something. "Fearrington Village" is a little hokey for my tastes, but there is a good bookshop on the premises; it's fine for a few hours or one night. The Umstead Hotel, on the SAS Institute campus in Cary, also made five diamond this year, but I can't vouch for it as it opened long after I moved away.

Yes, the downtown Raleigh Sheraton overlooks the Wake County courthouse & jail. (I got treated to tours of it in a high-school law class.) No, Raleigh's not renowned for its nightlife, even as the metro population zooms towards 2mil. And yes, it was built as part of a 1980s downtown renewal project, although thankfully the worst parts of that (the old Civic Center and the pedestrian mall) are now history, ripped out in 2006. However, I still vastly prefer a location where there is something within walking distance besides a parking lot -- and there are quite good restaurants in DT Raleigh -- which is astonishingly difficult to find in the South. Heck, surprisingly difficult to find anywhere in America.

The Soleil/Westin project is still in presales.

MarkXS May 5, 2008 6:35 pm

Dittos on the raves for the Four Points at Southpoint in Durham. New build as of April 2007, friendly staff, knowledgeable about SPG benefits. Big airy central courtyard design. There may be a master thread on this, I seem to recall that I posted something about this before. Stayed at it a bunch of times before I got a work touchdown apartment in Raleigh. Have recommended it to colleagues who liked it a lot.

Sheraton Imperial is a worn-out property. As noted upthread, business-oriented, and one of the old dull dark colors worn-down Sheratons. Also poor SPG Platinum recognition. Routinely would refuse to set me up with a 4pm checkout at check-in, saying "come down in the morning on your last day and we probably can do it." Which means my keys aren't coded right, and I have to make an extra stop rather than every single other SPG property I've ever stayed at which always sets it up at check-in if you request it. :td:

However they have a nice club lounge, with a really excellent host. She remembers people from stay to stay, great conversations, very friendly.

Sheraton Chapel Hill is nothing special IMHO. Very haphazard service, probably due to college-student staffing. I don't know if it's officially affiliated with UNC, but most of the front desk and restaurant staff seem to be college students with part-time jobs there and not very committed to the work. Really slow service at the breakfast buffet (coffee service, restocking empty food trays, etc.). No lounge. Room fixtures seem cheap.

Haven't stayed at the downtown Raleigh Sheraton. Of the three I have stayed at, the Four Points is the top choice absolutely.

irvroman May 8, 2008 11:32 pm

I have been staying at the Sheraton Chapel Hill for the last few months due to a corporate rate with that particular hotel, and they are changing it up. Renovations will have new rooms (the 3rd floor is completed which is where I stayed this week) that will have flat screens and new furniture.

But they are also making the restaurant a Shula's 357 Grill and the 4th floor will have a club lounge when their renovations are over.

TravelingGnome May 13, 2008 9:34 pm

[QUOTE=MarkXS;9681162]Dittos on the raves for the Four Points at Southpoint in Durham. New build as of April 2007, friendly staff, knowledgeable about SPG benefits. Big airy central courtyard design. There may be a master thread on this, I seem to recall that I posted something about this before. Stayed at it a bunch of times before I got a work touchdown apartment in Raleigh. Have recommended it to colleagues who liked it a lot.]

Agreed. 4 Points is excellent. Junior suites are especially nice (and large).

dukieee May 14, 2008 9:34 am

sheraton raleigh

Just had my family stay at the sheraton raleigh for graduation. both rooms got upgraded to the club level. rooms totally renovated and pretty nice. still smelled somewhat fresh (carpet?). one had really nice views the other one so so. folks friendly, breakfast very good. club lounge had no service over the weekend. downtown raleigh has really improved and is definitely worth a night or two.

EWC-JMU May 14, 2008 9:43 am

Originally Posted by paytonc (Post 9680758)
\
However, I still vastly prefer a location where there is something within walking distance besides a parking lot -- and there are quite good restaurants in DT Raleigh -- which is astonishingly difficult to find in the South.

So true. Savannah and Charleston in particular are dining wastelands. :rolleyes:

Helena Handbaskets May 14, 2008 10:59 am

Originally Posted by paytonc (Post 9680758)
-- and there are quite good restaurants in DT Raleigh -- .

Any suggestions?