Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Walt Disney World Swan - Orlando [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2015, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Woodsmit
Late Checkout Policy

Late Checkouts are subject to availability. Please note the following fees:

Between 11am and 12pm: Complimentary
Between 12pm and 2pm: 40 USD + tax
Between 2pm and 4pm: 99 USD + tax
After 4pm: One night room rate, tax and Resort Fee

Resort Fee

The resort has a mandatory 25 USD per day Resort Fee plus taxes. The Resort Fee covers in-room High Speed Internet Access, 2 bottles of water daily, unlimited access to full-service health club, unlimited domestic long distance (US mainland) and local calls, tennis equipment and access to the lighted courts, seasonal pool access and recreational activities. The Resort Fee was waived for SPG Platinums for reservations made prior to December 6th 2016, but the Resort Fee will be applied to subsequent SPG Platinum guest reservations at a slightly reduced rate of $20 per day.
Print Wikipost

Walt Disney World Swan - Orlando [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2011, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by AUDirt
At the AKL, if you don't get a "savannah" view (i.e. view of the animals) then I agree, it's just a hotel. (But I think the live animals right outside the window makes AKL very unique amongst hotels.)
Actually, we had a one-bedroom "savannah" view, with all kinds of critters just below our balcony.

The issues were a) serious service/housekeeping issues (as in they rarely showed up, and only did after I repeatedly badgered management) ,b) horrible transportation (as in standing room only for children and pregnant women for up to ONE HOUR to get to MK, and c) numerous billing mistakes (as in I had to phone repeatedly to even get a copy of my bill, and then back in line at front desk to correct erroneous charges.)

My attempt to discuss these issues with management at the end of our ($4000+) stay was met with a blank stare, and a promise to "follow-up". Of course I never heard from again, except for a regular stream of spam emails trying to convince me to return to Disney.

Our Swan stay five months later as perfect by comparison, and there is no way we will chance another DW-owned property for our next visit in the fall (we go twice a year).

Cheers,
Old Jun 13, 2011, 3:17 am

Programs: HH Diam, IHG Pl, Sirius G,Bonvoy LTG,Melia Pl,Shangri-La Diam,UA*G,Emirates G,Virgin Atl. G,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by el_tigre
If you're just looking for something that measures up to the Sheraton brand, then I feel this is among the best Sheraton properties in the U.S. If your point of reference is international Sheratons, than it's probably just a bit of a step down.
Don't forget that the Dolphin is a Sheraton, the Swan is a Westin, the rates are about the same but I prefer the Swan rooms...
Old Jun 13, 2011, 3:20 am

Programs: HH Diam, IHG Pl, Sirius G,Bonvoy LTG,Melia Pl,Shangri-La Diam,UA*G,Emirates G,Virgin Atl. G,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Peatisback
Does this property offer Platinums different/additional amenities in light of the resort fee?
I received free self-parking for 5 nights (I think it is usually 16$/night)...
Old Jun 13, 2011, 4:59 am

If the Swan/Dolphin are pricing out at a comparable level to the Disney moderates, I'd definitely go with the Swan/Dolphin over the moderates. The moderates are OK, but not in the league of the Swan/Dolphin.

In terms of the AKL, we've had both savannah and non-savannah view rooms, and there is no doubt the savannah view's are the winning ticket. However, I just love that resort, alebit not in the best location, as you pointed out.

The Hilton and other Disney Village hotels are OK for the price. I too have stayed at most of them, and used to think they were the best deal going. However, their transportation has gotten worse over the years, and I have too little patience to wait for shuttle busses all day. In terms of the Hilton and Swan/Dolphin prices being comparable, I never understood that. The Hilton is nice, but it's no Swan. Also, proximity of the Swan to the parks is a plus. Granted, the Hilton is across the street from Downtown Disney, but so what.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 5:19 am

Originally Posted by Mariby
I agree, but with an exception. When considering deluxe hotels not on the monorail or attached to Epcot (specifically Animal Kingdom Lodge or Wilderness Lodge) AND if you have a car, consider Coronado Springs (CS)

Coronado Springs (CS) - while a moderate - has many features in common with Disney Deluxes. Disney even prices CS higher than other moderate properties. CS has been recently refurbished, has doors separating the bath & bed areas, is not-over-the-top "Disney", has 2 queen and king bed configurations, and has some suite configurations. Worth short-listing when considering where to stay.
I had a major issue at the Coronado three years ago that soured me to that resort. Two days into our stay, we had a life-threatening medical emergency and it took forever for anyone to respond, given that our room was in never-never land. In fact, the housekeeping department was the first to respond and management never showed up.

Upon arrival back home, an attorney from Disney's legal department took the initiative to phone me, as they must have been running scared. Never once did I receive a response from management at the Coronado. Not impressed!
Old Jun 14, 2011, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by darch1
Don't forget that the Dolphin is a Sheraton, the Swan is a Westin, the rates are about the same but I prefer the Swan rooms...
Actually, I was told when I was there this used to be the case, but they now operate as some kind of stand-alone *wood exception, with no Sheraton/Westin distinction or branding. Still, I've noticed they can be found on their original, respective websites.

Cheers,
Old Jun 14, 2011, 6:23 am

I received free self-parking for 5 nights (I think it is usually 16$/night)...
They just waived my resort fee. I got the impression this was standard practice for Plats.

Cheers,
Old Jun 14, 2011, 6:08 pm

Is there a lounge available? Do plats get breakfast included?
Old Jun 14, 2011, 6:46 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Glob, CC Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by gsforfree
Neither a club lounge or breakfast ... plats get the resort fee comp'ed but it's perks we normally get (health club access, toll free calls, 2 bottles of water per day, internet access).
Old Jun 16, 2011, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by gsforfree
There used to be a nice lounge at the Dolphin but it was closed about 4 or 5 years ago. The year after I received breakfast coupons, but after that nothing. Now I stay preferably at the Swan...
Old Jun 16, 2011, 4:49 am

Originally Posted by Flews
Actually, I was told when I was there this used to be the case, but they now operate as some kind of stand-alone *wood exception, with no Sheraton/Westin distinction or branding. Still, I've noticed they can be found on their original, respective websites.

Cheers,
To my knowledge, there has never been a Westin logo at the Swan or a Sheraton logo entering the Dolphin, but the Swan is listed first on the Westin website and Dolphin on the Sheraton website. The Swan has the "heavenly" bed, the Dolphin the "sweet sleeper" bed. I'm not sure about the bathroom amenities...
Old Jun 16, 2011, 6:37 am

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
I'm not sure about the bathroom amenities...
Bathroom amenities at both properties have been SHERATON for some time now.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3MM; DL Gd; SPG PL, Marriott Slv, Hilton Gd
A Sheraton with a Great Location

The Swan looks and feels like a Sheraton (including the BR amenities). Go for the location and $, but keep all other expectations in check. The rooms, the service, and the restaurants are mediocre; there is limited upgrade potential; and there is no bona fide Plat recognition. If location is key, stay here; if you want more of a Westin experience, I strongly recommend the Hilton Bonnet Creek.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 7:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by FocusGroupsMia
The Swan looks and feels like a Sheraton (including the BR amenities). Go for the location and $, but keep all other expectations in check. The rooms, the service, and the restaurants are mediocre; there is limited upgrade potential; and there is no bona fide Plat recognition. If location is key, stay here; if you want more of a Westin experience, I strongly recommend the Hilton Bonnet Creek.
I somewhat disagree. Is your comment based on one stay, or is it a pattern you have observed over time? We go to the Swan quite often, and more often than not we get upgraded to a suite. There have been a few times when we didn't get an upgrade to a suite, but for the most we have been successful. I like the restaurants at the Swan and at the Dolphin as well.

BTW, how will a Hilton give you a Westin experience?

Last edited by Pedro M; Jul 11, 2011 at 8:00 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Jul 11, 2011, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3MM; DL Gd; SPG PL, Marriott Slv, Hilton Gd
Originally Posted by Pedro M
I somewhat disagree. Is your comment based on one stay, or is it a pattern you have observed over time? We go to the Swan quite often, and more often than not we get upgraded to a suite. There have been a few times when we didn't get an upgrade to a suite, but for the most we have been successful. I like the restaurants at the Swan and at the Dolphin as well.

BTW, how will a Hilton give you a Westin experience?
My opinions are based on approximately 7-8 stays over the past 10 years, and unfortunately have witnessed a marked service deterioration over that time (e.g. elimination of the Club Lounge, kid photos with Santa, lower quality bathroom amenities, etc.). But as stated, sometimes location is the primary driver in the decision-making or the redemption of promo awards.

Regarding your Hilton question, the feel of the Hilton Bonnet Creek (ambience, clientele, service, room) is much more similar to a Westin than a Hilton, IMO. And certainly more like a Westin than the Dolphin or Swan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.