Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Wentworth by the Sea, A Marriott Hotel & Spa, NH [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wentworth by the Sea, A Marriott Hotel & Spa, NH [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2015, 8:30 am

Programs: LTP, PP
I think you are on to something with staying around Portsmouth and doing things around there, maybe hitting Hampton Beach and Maine too (read up thread for ideas). There is a RI downtown and maybe a FI/SHS/CY near their tiny airport that could be cheap. Portland, Maine is supposed to be cool but never been, that is fairly close too. If you drink, hit ANY state liquor store in NH and prepare to be like a kid in a candy shop, prices are 40-50% off New York's. I'm headed there tomorrow for a funeral and already getting excited...
Old Apr 9, 2015, 10:17 am

Programs: M/R AMBASSADOR/LT/TIT/UASILVER/AAGOLD
About 45 minutes north of Boston, Rockport. Beautiful little seaside town. We usually stay at the Captain's Bounty Inn, directly on the water. Great lobster at Roy Moore's on Bearskin Neck.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 2:15 pm

I called this hotel, and they said that the concierge lounge offers beverages. They said that Platinum Elites will receive continental breakfast vouchers at check in.

They didn't specify weekday vs. weekend.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 7:25 pm

Programs: In 2023? Does it matter? SPG/Marriott: Plat; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic
Any recent stays to this hotel? And do any of the suites have balconies? I don't think so, but wanted to confirm.

Regards

Last edited by navi_jen; Jun 2, 2017 at 7:33 pm
Old Jun 2, 2017, 9:09 pm

When I stayed there, they gave me a really nice suite without having to beg. I was LT Plat at the time, but I think I got treated better while LT Plat than as PP.

The suite I got didn't have a balcony, but they have some rooms across the street from the main hotel that are closer to the water. Those might have a balcony. You could probably call the hotel to find out the options.

The food at the hotel restaurant was good. And the pool was nice. I'd recommend staying at this hotel, and then trying one of the Marriott/SPG hotels in downtown Portland.

Originally Posted by navi_jen
Any recent stays to this hotel? And do any of the suites have balconies? I don't think so, but wanted to confirm.

Regards
Old Feb 28, 2018, 4:29 pm

Just stayed here recently. It's a very nice property and I want to give it high marks, but some of the service issues were really irritating.

Since I was planning to arrive later in the evening and knew the hotel was close to full, I sent a chat message on the mobile app letting them know what time I would be arriving. There was no response, so eventually I had to pick up the phone to call and ask. When checking in as a gold member I was given a voucher for breakfast in the restaurant (weekend stay so the lounge was closed). The voucher said it was good for a continental breakfast or $5 to upgrade to the full buffet.

The next morning getting breakfast required at least a 25 minute wait for a table as they did not have enough space. I also could be wrong, but they seemed to be mixing up the order that people arrived vs were given tables. The number of people waiting and getting annoyed really made it difficult to stay calm. After being seated and waiting another 10 minutes for a waitress, she explained that we could use the cold buffet, pay $5 to upgrade to the full buffet, or use the voucher towards the regular menu. When I asked how much it was worth against the menu, she said she wasn't sure but thought it was $31.52. I thought that made no sense, but in any case decided to use the buffet to minimize time spent waiting for service and food. I do have to say that the buffet food was great, and the omelette chef was very quick.

I had also requested late checkout on the mobile app, and made the mistake of not asking about it specifically when physically getting the keys. Come to find out the next morning that they are not able to honor this and want the room back at 11 AM. After arguing with a manager on duty for several minutes, he pushed this to 12 PM. I realize that "resorts" are not required to guarantee late checkout, but it would have been nice to mention it when checking in rather than act like it was a new request now and that they used up all the late checkouts they could grant. The manager also said that if I had been on a lower floor he might have been able to give a later checkout time. Again, why not offer that as an option at check-in? Any of these would have been fine with me and not left me aggravated.

I do feel somewhat bad being negative, since again overall it's a very nice property and I would probably return, but they really need to get better at dealing with these service items. The younger staff really could use better training since they just get confused when asked even basic questions.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 8:31 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by PrancingPonyGoldMember
Just stayed here recently. It's a very nice property and I want to give it high marks, but some of the service issues were really irritating.

Since I was planning to arrive later in the evening and knew the hotel was close to full, I sent a chat message on the mobile app letting them know what time I would be arriving. There was no response, so eventually I had to pick up the phone to call and ask. When checking in as a gold member I was given a voucher for breakfast in the restaurant (weekend stay so the lounge was closed). The voucher said it was good for a continental breakfast or $5 to upgrade to the full buffet.

The next morning getting breakfast required at least a 25 minute wait for a table as they did not have enough space. I also could be wrong, but they seemed to be mixing up the order that people arrived vs were given tables. The number of people waiting and getting annoyed really made it difficult to stay calm. After being seated and waiting another 10 minutes for a waitress, she explained that we could use the cold buffet, pay $5 to upgrade to the full buffet, or use the voucher towards the regular menu. When I asked how much it was worth against the menu, she said she wasn't sure but thought it was $31.52. I thought that made no sense, but in any case decided to use the buffet to minimize time spent waiting for service and food. I do have to say that the buffet food was great, and the omelette chef was very quick.

I had also requested late checkout on the mobile app, and made the mistake of not asking about it specifically when physically getting the keys. Come to find out the next morning that they are not able to honor this and want the room back at 11 AM. After arguing with a manager on duty for several minutes, he pushed this to 12 PM. I realize that "resorts" are not required to guarantee late checkout, but it would have been nice to mention it when checking in rather than act like it was a new request now and that they used up all the late checkouts they could grant. The manager also said that if I had been on a lower floor he might have been able to give a later checkout time. Again, why not offer that as an option at check-in? Any of these would have been fine with me and not left me aggravated.

I do feel somewhat bad being negative, since again overall it's a very nice property and I would probably return, but they really need to get better at dealing with these service items. The younger staff really could use better training since they just get confused when asked even basic questions.
If it's a resort then why does it have a lounge or free breakfast? They can't really have it both ways, in my opinion.

Are the rooms renovated?
Old Mar 3, 2018, 12:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
If it's a resort then why does it have a lounge or free breakfast? They can't really have it both ways, in my opinion.
You're complaining because a resort has a lounge w/ free access for elites & offers breakfast in the restaurant when it's closed
EdV likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 12:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
You're complaining because a resort has a lounge w/ free access for elites & offers breakfast in the restaurant when it's closed
It wasn't a complaint, but an observation that it strikes me as unusual for a property that offers all of the trappings of a regular Marriott hotel to purportedly deny a late check-out based on a resort designation.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 1:06 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
I've been there, its unique but hardly a resort. Of course Marriott's definition will vary as it suits them.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by joshua362
I've been there, its unique but hardly a resort. Of course Marriott's definition will vary as it suits them.
I agree, nice place but resort is a stretch. All they really had to do was apologize at check-in and say they wouldn't be able to honor it, and I probably would have let it go. Denying it on the morning of check-out and claiming to be exempt from the policy is aggravating, especially when I just lost an hour of my day to your slow restaurant service.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 3:04 pm

Looking to stay here in July - can anyone comment on the difference in room size between the Deluxe 1 King and Deluxe 2 queens? We'll be traveling with children - they don't mind sleeping on their air mattresses, so more concerned with overall space than with number of beds. I'm guessing we'd also have a better chance of an upgrade by booking the 1 king. How likely (I'm betting mostly unlikely) that we could get upgraded to a suite here as Marriott Gold?
Old Jul 26, 2019, 4:11 pm

Stayed here last week for three nights.

Its definitely not a resort (nor does Marriott claim that it is) but it *is* a wonderful place to stay.

I had reserved a basic king room several months ago, *NOT* ocean view (which would have been more money). 50,000 points a night. (website tells me that the room was around $550 US). After the reservation arrived in my inbox, I immediately applied for three SNA nights.

Last week, I was informed that we were upgraded to a Marina Suite, 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom villa. Fireplace, two balconies overlooking the marina. Kitchen and living room. There was a pool just for the marina guests (18 rooms). Website says $1500/night.

I was quite happy. The pool was smaller than the regular outside pool for the other guests, and it didn't have a bar. But it was less crowded so that was fine.

We were comped breakfast Sunday morning since the lounge was closed. We didn't take advantage of this since we woke up late, but I hear that there is usually a wait.

The lounge itself is probably the smallest lounge I've ever been in. Scrambled eggs, oatmeal, bacon/sausage. Smoked salmon, limited fruit. Coffee, bread, bagels. No muffins. Orange juice, coffee, milk, yogurt. The only drinks in the fridge were bottled water. No soft drinks. I didn't go there for the apps or desserts (if they even had any), so I can't comment on that.

I'm not complaining about this, I mean, given this property, and the *LOTS* of places to eat in nearby Portsmouth, NH (a beautiful town), I see no reason to eat in the lounge anyway.

Didn't use any of the other facilities at the hotel either (spa, indoor pool. restaurants). Didn't want to.

All in all, I would love to go back. The hotel itself, the town of Portsmouth, the views, the coast, the proximity to Maine, couldn't have been a better vacation.
Old Aug 19, 2020, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Plat Breakfast

What does Wentworth do for Plat breakfasts for 2 adults and 2 kids on same room?
Old Aug 19, 2020, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by nologic
What does Wentworth do for Plat breakfasts for 2 adults and 2 kids on same room?
We stayed at the Wentworth a months ago, currently the elite breakfast benefit is via daily voucher as I recall it’s $25 per room per day. That doesn’t sound very good but actually for a hotel I found the breakfast pricing not bad. The voucher for us covered a full breakfast, coffee and fresh squeezed OJ for two.

the lounge was closed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.