Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grand Taipei, Taiwan [Master Thread]

Old Nov 10, 2014, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Grand Taipei, Taiwan [Master Thread]

Old Sep 10, 2001, 9:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Arrow Sheraton Grand Taipei, Taiwan [Master Thread]

Well, just came back from a quick mileage run to Taipei along with a firm determination to avoid the Lai Lai Sheraton like the plague.

First of all, there was the rate. As far as I could tell from the reservation made through travelocity [and show on the Sheraton site], my quoted rate of $4499 NT was everything, including tax. When I actually get there, I was informed there was a 10% service charge. After showing the desk agent the printout from the Sheraton site, they continue to insist that the service charge was in addition to the quoted rate.

I was not amused, but it was a bit too late to change.

Now, the room was well appointed with good furniture. The TV was on the small side, but the high speed access was nice. The bathrroom, however, was an entirely different story. It was like walking into a different, much lower class, hotel room. Cheap tile floor, minimal towels, and generally cheap feel.

Worst part, the whole room smelled like bathroom cleaner agent. Even leaving the air filter on for ~3 hours while I went out didn't do much to clear the smell. When I called down to complain, the desk agent just told me to turn on the air filter.

So, the location is nice, the room is nice, but the bathroom and the smell just ruined the in-room experience for me. Next time, I'm staying at the Westin.
Old Sep 11, 2001, 2:17 am

Programs: UA GS 1M, AA Gold 1M
Not that I'm defending Lai Lai (I personally much prefer the Westin), but you have to admit the service is pretty **** good. I think Lai Lai has seen better days. Actually, if my childhood memories are correct, it used to be one of the premier hotels in Taiwan. It is now in need of some major renevation. Don't get me wrong, I was quite pleased with my suite (upgraded for being PLT, and only paid ~$3800NT for the room). The suite was at least 800 Sq. Ft. However, I do agree that the decor and the bathrooms are old.

In conclusion, you will probably like Lai Lai if you are old school; i.e. if you prefer going downtown versus the Strip when you go to Vegas.
Old Sep 11, 2001, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While it may come as a surprise to you, it is actually a common practice to add 10% service charge in Asian hotels, especially in Taiwan. In fact, I don't know of any hotels in Taipei which does NOT add a 10% service charge to room rates. Sheraton, Westin, Hyatt, Hilton, Intercontinental, Shangri-la all do.

I agree that Travelocity should have made it clear though. OTOH, tax is never included in rate quotes in the US.

[Edited for typo]

[This message has been edited by TerryK (edited 09-12-2001).]
Old Sep 11, 2001, 7:58 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Will be staying at Westin Sept. 14 & 15, providing the plane takes off. Stayed there two months ago. Fine hotel, but Sheraton location would be more fun.

Received the nicest confirmation e-mail yesterday. "Welcome home, what time might you arrive, can we provide transport from airport?" All on a freebie weekend stay.

Old Sep 11, 2001, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

I actually stayed at the Westin Taipei just a couple of weeks ago, and it really helped to form the basis for comparison. Both rooms [Sheraton vs. Westin] were suppose to be deluxe rooms at 41 sq. meter, but the Westin was far nicer.

And unlike the Sheraton, Westin Taipei made it clear there would be a 10% tax not included in the rate. It wasn't just Travelocity, it was also Sheraton's own reservation system. In bookings made through Sheraton's own systems, the 10% charge is clear. Booking through Travelocity [Sabre], I was given the impression that the 10% tax was already included in the rate. So there was definitely some miscommunication.

I'm not asking for anything special from either SPG or Sheraton. I just thought it might be instructive to other FT'ers to know about the Lai Lai Sheraton.
Old Feb 24, 2002, 1:21 pm
Original Member

Lai Lai used to be a Shangri-La and was not renewed several years ago and became a Sheraton.
Old Apr 3, 2002, 3:31 pm

Any recent stays at Lai Lai? Is it still so terrible? We're looking into Lai Lai or the Taipei Hilton for a possible June trip because these two offer the lowest rates amongst the Starwood/Hilton family hotels in desirable locations (hence we're not considering Four Points).
Old Apr 3, 2002, 6:59 pm
ABW

Programs: AC SE 2MM, MB LTE
I was at the Lai Lai two weeks ago, there does not appear to have been any changes in recent years.
Old Apr 4, 2002, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TheAuditor:
Lai Lai used to be a Shangri-La and was not renewed several years ago and became a Sheraton. </font>
Lai-lai was a locally managed hotel named Shangri-la back in the late 70s, but it had nothing to with the Hong Kong based Shangri-la. It was converted to a Sheraton in late 80s, just as the real Shangri-la entered the Taipei market.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Scotch:
Is it still so terrible?</font>
I don't think anyone ever said it was terrible. The original poster was complaining about not being informed of the 10% service charge by Travelocity. Hardly Lai-Lai Sheraton's fault, IMHO. All hotels in Taipei levys a 10% service charge on top of the room rates.
Old Apr 4, 2002, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think the bathrooms in Sheraton Taipei may not have been renovated since the late 70s, when it opened. Other than that, the rooms are fine, the service is friendly and efficient, and the location is great. I have never had problems with bathroom smell. They are also great with SPG recongnition, you always get Jr. Suite or better as a Platinum.
Old Apr 4, 2002, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Not sure if the Lai Lai is all that bad. A bit dated, and certainly not up to the finishing that one expects from a true 5 star. Ordinary rooms are a bit utilitarian, but my bathroom experiences were not so grusome. But don't expect the same standard as found at the Hong Kong or Singapore Sheratons [which are priced much higher], but I was not put off by the room or treatment by staff, who were pleasant if not as eager to please as those at the Singapore Sheraton Towers. They have a Preferred Guest Lounge, but no Club Floor. On one trip I was accommodated in a regular room, on the second it was a Jr Suite [both times as Gold] and the two bathrooms were just fine.

Very well located, steps from MRT, on the Red airport bus route [you must stand and wave the bus down as it often zips right past]. Hilton is a two blocks to the west. However, from reading reports, it does sound like the Hilton took care of their Golds better: ExecFloor, breakfast, evening drinks...
Old Apr 4, 2002, 11:16 am

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
My fave is the Westin Taipei... mmmm the heavenly bed... hotel is 3 years old. Only downside, the closest MRT station is a 5 min walk away. Hilton Taipei, didn't think the room I got was worth the price, although being next to the subway and across the street from the train station could be a plus.
Old Apr 4, 2002, 10:55 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TerryK:
I don't think anyone ever said it was terrible. The original poster was complaining about not being informed of the 10% service charge by Travelocity. Hardly Lai-Lai Sheraton's fault, IMHO. All hotels in Taipei levys a 10% service charge on top of the room rates.</font>
Actually, the rate was just an annoyance. The main reason I will avoid the Lai Lai Sheraton like the plague is the smell. Uggh.

If you're looking for a Starwoods property in Taipei, stick to the Westin.
Old Dec 19, 2002, 8:33 pm

SPG Gold Experience at Lai Lai Sheraton, Taipei, Taiwan

Anyone had any experiences with this sheraton property on the upgrade front or anything for SPG Gold's? Considering staying at this property as the Hilton loses its branded from the 1 Jan 03.

Also, are there any trip reports on this property? i heard it is really old. I also heard the Four Points isn't in the best area for me, so i've ruled it out.
Old Dec 19, 2002, 8:50 pm
Uli

Yes, it is old.
Have heard it is used for official government visits but could not believe it.

I have just been there for dinner on new years eve last year and can report the main restaurant offered a very nice buffet dinner accompanied by a very beautiful singer
Only problem was the restaurant closed at 10 p.m. (on Dec 31st)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.