Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grand Taipei, Taiwan [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2014, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Grand Taipei, Taiwan [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2018, 7:53 am

Thanks for the suggestions, taxi it is then.

Only have one luggage but it's pretty large and not worth the hassle to save a few dollars.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 9:21 pm

Programs: SPG/Marriot Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Skyteam Elite Plus
I just finished a stay here. There was no upgrade for Ambassador as I think the hotel was full. It was quite crowded and the room was so warm as they said they do not turn on cool air in the central AC. I wouldn't stay here again in winter as the temperature inside my room was like 30, too much to sleep and the hallway is even better.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 9:29 pm

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by nikkoap92
I just finished a stay here. There was no upgrade for Ambassador as I think the hotel was full. It was quite crowded and the room was so warm as they said they do not turn on cool air in the central AC. I wouldn't stay here again in winter as the temperature inside my room was like 30, too much to sleep and the hallway is even better.
you stay on Saturday, 13-Jan? The hotel was sold out on that that, which I cannot book and need to move to westin.

Yes, the aircon is the problem in winter. I turn it off and open the window.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 11:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by nikkoap92
Hmm, I wonder if this is something new...I've never had a problem with the hotel air conditioning during my stays in winter, and I prefer to crank the AC down to the 60s where I like it and the room is cold enough to frost your eyeglasses.
Plumber likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold
I am trying to make a reservation for stay in end March at Sheraton Taipei Hotel. I realised that the rates for Superior and Deluxe Rooms are the same. Just find this puzzling given that it seems that the Deluxe Room seems slightly better. Is there any difference between Superior and Deluxe Rooms? Or is it better for me to book a higher tier room? Thanks for any insights.

Old Mar 11, 2018, 12:33 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by hclee01
I am trying to make a reservation for stay in end March at Sheraton Taipei Hotel. I realised that the rates for Superior and Deluxe Rooms are the same. Just find this puzzling given that it seems that the Deluxe Room seems slightly better. Is there any difference between Superior and Deluxe Rooms? Or is it better for me to book a higher tier room? Thanks for any insights
If you can book the nicer room for the same price, then I would just do that and make sure that's what you're assigned at check-in.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 6:48 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Sheraton Grand Taipei

Sheraton Grande Taipei Hotel

Map| 2 Reviews | 100% Recommended

12 Zhong Xiao East Road Sec 1 Taipei, TW 100

Sheraton Grand Taipei (6 Photos)

We stayed at Sheraton Grand Taipei last year and were pleased, particularly due to the excellent Club Lounge.  Last month we stayed at Grand Hyatt to compare and concluded that we get better value for the money at Sheraton Grand, so we returned, this time for a 3-night stay.  I initially considered going to the Westin because point redemptions were not available at Sheraton for our dates and I had two Platinum free night cat 1-5 certificates to burn.  I thought if we cannot redeem points at the regular rate, then I won’t be able to use my free nights certs, however my ambassador worked her magic and was able to get me two free nights and I paid for the other night.  My other hesitation about going to Westin is that the hotel is going to close at the end of this year so I was reluctant to stay there.  The free night certs could not be used at Le Meridien or W because those are cat 6 hotels.

We arrived at the airport around 5am and I was surprised to find out that the train to the city is not running until 6am.  It seems odd that they do not match the train schedule with the flight arrival schedule, but anyway we took the taxi to the hotel which cost 1200 TWD.  We were allowed to eat breakfast in the lounge at 7am and then we got our room keys at 10am.  

As many others have mentioned in the thread, the location of the hotel is good as we can walk from the main train station to the hotel, and there is also a subway stop on the blue line right in front of the hotel.  The location around Taipei 101 (Meridien, W, and Grand Hyatt, among others) is generally more expensive than the area around Sheraton Grand, and I can understand someone who wants to pay a premium to stay near Taipei 101, but personally I think being close to the main train station is just fine for our purposes.  When going back to the airport, we walked from the hotel to the main station which takes about 15 minutes and the train to the airport costs 160 TWD per person.  The walk is not the shortest but at least it’s flat and you have an elevator to go from the street to the station.  If you are not a big walker then as others suggested a taxi from the hotel to the main station is probably wise.  

Room

Last year we got upgraded to a suite on a 7-night stay but unfortunately this time the hotel ended up being full; we got upgraded to an Executive Premier room, not a suite.  The Exec Premier room type is a bit larger (40 sq m) than the entry level room (32 sq m).  Obviously the overall experience is not as nice without a suite, however I would say that the room we got was fine.  I was glad to have the extra space over the basic room; the room has a sofa at the end of the room near the windows.  There is no DVD player unlike in the suite.  There are international power plugs near the working desk and on one side of the bed, but under the night table on the other side of the bed. Unlike a previous report by @lingua101, I was able to nap in the afternoon after a transpacific flight because at least in my room, the curtains blocked the light completely.  This is not a new and modern hotel and you can see it from the pictures, but the room was generally in good condition.  The bathroom is perhaps more refreshed than the rest of the room.  There is a stand-alone shower of a good size in the corner and a Toto Japanese-style toilet with several settings.  You can find the standard Le Grand Bain amenities, and the hotel provides useful extras which I appreciate such as mouthwash, razors, toothbrushes, an umbrella, etc.  Despite not getting a suite this time around, since I recently got upgraded to a suite at Grand Hyatt I can compare nonetheless.  One of the reasons I wanted to try a different hotel last month is that the suite at Sheraton Grand is fine, but it will not wow you since the hotel is somewhat older style.  I thought perhaps the rooms at Grand Hyatt would be better, but based on the suite I got at GH, my conclusion was that the grass is not greener over there.  Hence our return to Sheraton Grand this month.

20180811_220535.jpg20180811_220546.jpg20180811_220618.jpg20180811_220636.jpg

Dining

Oftentimes for breakfast I compromise between the better spread in the restaurant vs a more quiet environment in the lounge.  At Sheraton Grand the situation happens to be quite different than other hotels.  We went to the restaurant once for breakfast.  Most tables are in a heavy traffic area, but we got assigned a nice table by the window in a quiet area.  They had left lots of empty tables in that area whereas the main area was hectic, so I am not sure if table assignments depend on your room number and they keep the window area as quiet as possible?  On the other hand, the food options in the restaurant were only so-so relative to other restaurant breakfasts in Asia.  As mentioned in my opening comments, the strength of the Sheraton Grand is the Club Lounge, and not only for happy hour but also for breakfast. In fact, breakfast in the lounge is better than breakfast in most hotel lounges.  I enjoyed having a fish dish for breakfast and the large sushis available daily.  My takeaway for this hotel is that we’ll stick to the lounge for breakfast even though we can have a quiet spot in the restaurant; we are more than happy in the lounge with an excellent spread there.  Happy hour in the lounge is also quite good and timing is better than the norm with 3 hours for drinks.  They have sparkling wine from Chile, two choices of red wine (one Bordeaux, one Chilean) and two choices of white wine.  I found the wine to be better than what you find in most hotel lounges. They have some liquor available as well, including a cocktail which changes daily (one night was Bee’s Knees, the other was Sea Breeze) although only available in limited numbers for roughly the first hour and not restocked after.  Hot food selection is just as good and varied as when we stayed last year, but I noticed a minor downgrade for desserts however; last year were there several choices of small size luxury desserts available but this year was thinner. I would also note that the lounge felt more crowded than last year.  On the last night we arrived at 5:45pm so a bit late given that drinks start at 5pm and food starts at 5:30pm.  The only table we could find was a table for 4 so we took 2/4 seats.  Shortly thereafter a man came to sit down next to us because he did not have a spot elsewhere.  It’s one thing to have strangers sit at a table close to you, but he was literally next to my wife.  Not a big deal because he kept to himself and was quiet, but I am simply noting that an over-crowded lounge takes away partially from the experience.  I guess this particular lounge is becoming victim of its own success.

20180811_190739.jpg20180811_190839.jpg

Overall

Overall we had another fine stay, but in the future I will continue to keep my options open and we might try different properties depending on dates and rates available.  For example the points redemption at Courtyard was already quite good at 20k MR points, and it is about to drop to an even more attractive level at 12.5k MR points.  That is half of what Sheraton Grand will be (25k) and the Courtyard is a more recent hotel getting good reviews and also has a lounge (although most likely not as nice as Sheraton).  So the Sheraton Grand remains a good choice, but I will also be interested to try other properties.  

Sheraton Grand Taipei

Would you like to write a review on the Sheraton Grande Taipei Hotel?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Sep 26, 2018, 7:10 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Sheraton Taipei new carpets - large eyesore

One of the nice things of Sheraton Taipei was its rooms with nice, warm colors that produce a cozy and tranquil home feeling. Unfortunately, in the recent renovation the old dark brown color carpets, that match harmoniously with the room decors, were replaced with strong and contrasting cold and dark, deep blue-gray mixed with light gray and near white colors in a complex structure of thin and elongated patterns of random length, that are sharply conflicting with the reddish brown walls and furniture. The warmth and peacefulness of the previous bedroom are totally destroyed, The highly complex line patterns of random length is embedded with a repeated large and violently bursting feature that resembles a squashed jelly fish with many long hairs (or a spider with way too many long but straight legs, or a huge insect-eating plants) extending outward in all directions. I don't know how others feel, to me this dizzying and creepy pattern is totally unsuitable for bedrooms. A visiting friend said he may have nightmares if he sleeps in the room. I can only hope that I can get used to this strange pattern as Sheraton Taipei has been my default place to stay in Taipei, or if the management can do something to lessen the very uncomfortable visual effects.

Last edited by PanAmWT; Sep 26, 2018 at 9:24 am
Old Sep 26, 2018, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by PanAmWT
One of the nice things of Sheraton Taipei was its rooms with nice, warm colors that produce a cozy and tranquil home feeling. Unfortunately, in the recent renovation the old dark brown color carpets, that match harmoniously with the room decors, were replaced with strong and contrasting cold and dark, deep blue-gray mixed with light gray and near white colors in a complex structure of thin and elongated patterns of random length, that are sharply conflicting with the reddish brown walls and furniture. The warmth and peacefulness of the previous bedroom are totally destroyed, The highly complex line patterns of random length is embedded with a repeated large and violently bursting feature that resembles a squashed jelly fish with many long hairs (or a spider with way too many long but straight legs, or a huge insect-eating plants) extending outward in all directions. I don't know how others feel, to me this dizzying and creepy pattern is totally unsuitable for bedrooms. A visiting friend said he may have nightmares if he sleeps in the room. I can only hope that I can get used to this strange pattern as Sheraton Taipei has been my default place to stay in Taipei, or if the management can do something to lessen the very uncomfortable visual effects.
I would say the carpet is the least of their worries. Given Marriott's unfortunate confusion over what and where Taiwan is, and already one property terminating their franchise agreement over this issue, after 10+ years of staying at this hotel, we are leaving for better and cheaper options via AirBNB which has some amazing properties available in Taipei, Taiwan at a significant discount vs the Sheraton. The hotel was due for a makeover anyway, although I will have fond memories of my stays and experience here - I love the shampoo and conditioner and could never find this brand at any other SPG property.

I will say that Lifetime Platinum is an amazing liberating experience that let's me explore other options.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I would say the carpet is the least of their worries. Given Marriott's unfortunate confusion over what and where Taiwan is, and already one property terminating their franchise agreement over this issue, after 10+ years of staying at this hotel, we are leaving for better and cheaper options via AirBNB which has some amazing properties available in Taipei, Taiwan at a significant discount vs the Sheraton. The hotel was due for a makeover anyway, although I will have fond memories of my stays and experience here - I love the shampoo and conditioner and could never find this brand at any other SPG property.

I will say that Lifetime Platinum is an amazing liberating experience that let's me explore other options.
Obviously you are a long-term Sheraton Taipei guest. I wonder if you might stay there another time, perhaps for just a brief period, to see what I think is an amazing screw-up that effectively erase the fond memories of that warm home-like atmosphere. Or you may disagree with me and think the new carpet is just fine, then I will know the problem is the persistence of my inertia and I should try to recharge my cognitive function. The repeated large squashed jelly fish or animal eating plant pattern is most impressive in large open floor spaces such as in the diplomatic suites. With some imagination one can think of a bedroom in a horror movie. It is perhaps less disturbing in a smaller standard room.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 7:34 pm

Obviously you are a long-term Sheraton Taipei guest. I wonder if you might stay there another time, perhaps for just a brief period, to see what I think is an amazing screw-up that effectively erase the fond memories of that warm home-like atmosphere. Or you may disagree with me and think the new carpet is just fine, then I will know the problem is the persistence of my inertia and I should try to recharge my cognitive function. The repeated large squashed jelly fish or animal eating plant pattern is most impressive in large open floor spaces such as in the diplomatic suites. With some imagination one can think of a bedroom in a horror movie. It is perhaps less disturbing in a smaller standard room.
I might be back to have a look at the renovated rooms if I am there for a short stay that makes AirBNB difficult - I think the rooms could use some brightening, but with all that wood, similar to the Sheraton HK, their design options are somewhat limited unless they completely strip and redo the room which is really cost prohibitive.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 2:00 am

Unfortunately, in the recent renovation the old dark brown color carpets, that match harmoniously with the room decors, were replaced with strong and contrasting cold and dark, deep blue-gray mixed with light gray and near white colors in a complex structure of thin and elongated patterns of random length, that are sharply conflicting with the reddish brown walls and furniture. The warmth and peacefulness of the previous bedroom are totally destroyed, The highly complex line patterns of random length is embedded with a repeated large and violently bursting feature that resembles a squashed jelly fish with many long hairs (or a spider with way too many long but straight legs, or a huge insect-eating plants) extending outward in all directions. I don't know how others feel, to me this dizzying and creepy pattern is totally unsuitable for bedrooms. A visiting friend said he may have nightmares if he sleeps in the room.
It's interesting how different people have different perspectives. Is the new carpet you refer to the one we can see in my review pictures posted last month? If so, to be honest my wife and I barely noticed it, yet you are taking it completely at the extreme end of the scale... violently bursting, squashed jelly fish, spiders, insect-eating plants, dizzying, nightmares. I gotta give it to you, you have quite an extensive vocabulary to describe the carpet.

Now that you mention it, does Sheraton Taipei have my favorite carpet? No, but it's clean and is not in any way a factor in my considerations of which hotel to stay in Taipei in the future.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by escape4
It's interesting how different people have different perspectives. Is the new carpet you refer to the one we can see in my review pictures posted last month? If so, to be honest my wife and I barely noticed it, yet you are taking it completely at the extreme end of the scale... violently bursting, squashed jelly fish, spiders, insect-eating plants, dizzying, nightmares. I gotta give it to you, you have quite an extensive vocabulary to describe the carpet.

Now that you mention it, does Sheraton Taipei have my favorite carpet? No, but it's clean and is not in any way a factor in my considerations of which hotel to stay in Taipei in the future.
The difference is that you may not have experienced the much more comfortable feeling of the previous deco so you did not lose anything. For me, I found a big positive part missing, and the new carpet's mismatched color is a big downgrade. I talked to another long-term guest and he shares my feeling. But we could all be too sensitive and may get more used to it, hopefully.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by escape4

The difference is that you may not have experienced the much more comfortable feeling of the previous deco so you did not lose anything. And it is only a short stay in a hotel for you. For me, the place is like my home in Taipei, and I found a part that I enjoyed my home most is missing - replaced by an ugly, mismatched new carpet. Think if this happened to your home. I talked to another long-term guest and he shares my feeling. But we could all be too sensitive and may get more used to it with time, hopefully.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 7:49 am

I am not sure when the change happened, but I stayed in Sheraton Taipei in September 2017 and August 2018... I suspect the carpet change was done in between my two stays and to be honest the carpet was a non-issue in both stays. Granted, if I only stay a handful number of nights in a specific hotel per year (3 nights in 2018 and 7 nights in 2017) then indeed it's nothing close to being a second home and I would not tend to notice these issues as much as you did. But I know what you mean. I have stayed several times at Millenium Hilton Bangkok for several years and when they renovated the rooms this year I immediately felt the rooms shrunk and were smaller due to wasting space in several spots, which led to disappointment on my part. Occasional guests would probably have not felt it immediately like I did, as soon as I entered the room for the first time post reno.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.