Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grand Taipei, Taiwan [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2014, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Grand Taipei, Taiwan [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2013, 10:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by araknis
I tried all the items above and more last week. Wait was about 40 minutes (line started outside). The 油條 was VERY greasy and I wasn't too impressed. I know it's deep fried, but it was as if the 油條 was re-dipped into oil after being initially fried (if that makes any sense). I think the best items I had were the 飯糰 and "da bing" (not on your list). The 飯糰 had perfectly steamed sweet rice (texture/hardness were spot on) and the rou song used was very tasty. The "da bing" was amazing as well. This was made in a hot stone oven which creates the slightly crisp outside with doughy texture on the inside. It was also coated with a salty/sweet glaze on the outside which I guess helps adhere the sesame seeds. The other items were very good, but did not "stand out" from what I can get locally in SoCal. The best part was the price. IIRC, the 飯糰 was 40 or 45 NT (~$1.25-1.50USD). Four Star in Irvine charges $3.50 + tax.
Glad you enjoyed - mostly Did you feel the wait was worth it? I think some items would be hit or miss because not every restaurant can be perfect with everything on the menu, but by and large, this is best 'accessible' Taiwanese breakfast. I'm still on track to spend 2-3 weeks in TPE later this summer, so when I make it over there, I will have a mission to find the tastiest hole-in-the-wall, hidden, unknown to the non-local world, best Taiwanese breakfast in the metro area.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 10:55 pm

Programs: AA PLT / MR LTPP 1/1/19 / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Glad you enjoyed - mostly Did you feel the wait was worth it? I think some items would be hit or miss because not every restaurant can be perfect with everything on the menu, but by and large, this is best 'accessible' Taiwanese breakfast. I'm still on track to spend 2-3 weeks in TPE later this summer, so when I make it over there, I will have a mission to find the tastiest hole-in-the-wall, hidden, unknown to the non-local world, best Taiwanese breakfast in the metro area.
Well, I guess it was worth it for 1 visit. There is a Yong He a few hundred feet from this place so I would probably go there if I didn't feel like waiting. The nice thing about Yong He is that it's seems to be open very late (at least 9PM).

I really wanted to compare both on the same day, but my stay was too short to do a proper comparison. Perhaps you can give it a try when you are there next.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Interesting reading about Taipei food here. I went to a supposedly famous hole in the wall beef noodle place near Dongmen this week. And yes there were actually a dozen or so people waiting outside when I walked out. Only 10 or so tables. I'm years out of practice in Mandarin, but remember some basics. However the only characters I can read are 男性 and 女性 so I go into the correct bathroom. Sorry I can't recall the name. Maybe someone knows it?

But at the Sheraton Club the food offerings seem excellent now, both in the morning and evening. No complaints at all about this hotel. ^
Old Jul 12, 2013, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I decided to cut my stay a bit short with typhoon Soulik rolling in. The staff were all preparing for the worst, but I hope it will be that bad. Good luck to everyone there and thanks for a great stay. This is one of the best Sheraton's I've ever been to.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 1:12 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by stimpy
Interesting reading about Taipei food here. I went to a supposedly famous hole in the wall beef noodle place near Dongmen this week. And yes there were actually a dozen or so people waiting outside when I walked out. Only 10 or so tables. I'm years out of practice in Mandarin, but remember some basics. However the only characters I can read are 男性 and 女性 so I go into the correct bathroom. Sorry I can't recall the name. Maybe someone knows it?

But at the Sheraton Club the food offerings seem excellent now, both in the morning and evening. No complaints at all about this hotel. ^
There are several such beef noodle restaurants in Dongmen, including YongKang Street Niuroumian and Lao Zhang Niuroumian, and some others.

The Sheraton Club breakfast is very good, the evening food is not so - the appearance looks fine but the quality is at best mediocre. In fact, except for convenience and free, it is a pity to eat dinner at the club because one wastes an opportunity to taste excellent Taipei food, some are as close as just behind the hotel.

I decided to cut my stay a bit short with typhoon Soulik rolling in. The staff were all preparing for the worst, but I hope it will be that bad. Good luck to everyone there and thanks for a great stay. This is one of the best Sheraton's I've ever been to.
Typhoon Soulik didn't do much last night. People, cars, and empty taxis are still on the street all night. Some umbrellas were blown inside out, small tree branches and leaves on the ground, not much water on the ground.

Last edited by PanAmWT; Jul 13, 2013 at 1:19 am
Old Jul 13, 2013, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PanAmWT
There are several such beef noodle restaurants in Dongmen, including YongKang Street Niuroumian and Lao Zhang Niuroumian, and some others.
This one was on Jinsan. You take exit 3 from the Dongmen station, continue down the alley, turn left on Jinsan and walk about 30 meters or so.

Glad to hear the typhoon wasn't so bad. At first the media said it was going to be a 'super typhoon" but then they, grudgingly it seemed, had to admit it had weakened quite a bit.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 11:26 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
This one was on Jinsan. You take exit 3 from the Dongmen station, continue down the alley, turn left on Jinsan and walk about 30 meters or so.

Glad to hear the typhoon wasn't so bad. At first the media said it was going to be a 'super typhoon" but then they, grudgingly it seemed, had to admit it had weakened quite a bit.
Next time I am there I will find out the name.
The media both local and CNN report on typhoons are always exaggerating and sometimes just plain wrong. The typhoon has reached stage 4 on open ocean but never stage 5. It was stage 3 before landfall. The CNN report so ridiculously said Taipei's 7.5 million population will be in dire danger, and the Taoyuan airport ranked 30th in the world will be severely impacted. The reality is that the weather service never made such a prediction and that Taoyuan airport is not even in the world's top 50 list.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 11:25 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Motion122
Update...new club lounge will open on 2-11-2013.
Is this the 11th of Feb or the second of Nov?
Old Jul 31, 2013, 11:28 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
Hey all,

I just got my SPG Plat status, and am perusing ideas of where to go (hopefully to take advantage of the upgrades). Was thinking of Taiwan, and noticing that there are a couple of Starwood premises in Taipai.

Is the Sheraton Taipei likely to upgrade?
Old Jul 31, 2013, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ThaiFlier
If you book the cheapest room, you should get at least a King Club on a Club floor with butler service. It's a very nice room.

And I think the club I was at recently is the new one. It certainly seemed new.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 7:52 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by ThaiFlier
Hey all,

I can only recall one stay out of the past 15-20 when I did not get a suite.
And you have lounge access, which is full breakfast and dinner at happy hour.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 6:25 am

Programs: CX MPC GO; Golden Circle nobody!
Tipping question

Hiya everyone,

I am staying in the Sheraton Taipei and I really enjoy the hotel. However, the down size is that it's really quite expensive considering the Taipei's living index.

I do have a question though - today the room service did not deliver my newspaper and I had to call and ask for one. An elderly gentleman delivered the newspaper, and I was profusely thankful. Yet he kind of looked at me strangely/expectantly and stood very close to the edge of the door while I tr[ied] to close the door. Was he expecting something from me? I don't mean to be difficult/overbearing, but as an Asian, I am quite confused by tipping in Asia myself. I want to give him something if it is proper to do so.

Thanks!

Last edited by nsolitude; Aug 13, 2013 at 8:47 am Reason: edited for grammar
Old Aug 13, 2013, 6:59 am
Suspended

Programs: TG Plat , AF Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat
If you book the cheapest room, you should get at least a King Club on a Club floor with butler service. It's a very nice room.

And I think the club I was at recently is the new one. It certainly seemed new.
There is no butler service at the Sheraton Taipei .
Old Aug 13, 2013, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by nsolitude
Hiya everyone,

I am staying in the Sheraton Taipei and I really enjoy the hotel. However, the down size is that it's really quite expensive considering the Taipei's living index.

I do have a question though - today the room service did not deliver my newspaper and I had to call and ask for one. An elderly gentleman delivered the newspaper, and I was profusely thankful. Yet he kind of looked at me strangely/expectantly and stood very close to the edge of the door while I try to close the door. Was he expecting something from me? I don't mean to be difficult/overbearing, but as an Asian, I am quite confused by tipping in Asia myself. I want to give him something if it is proper to do so.

Thanks!
This is unusual, and not up to the standard of Sheraton Taipei or any Sheraton for that matter. You are free to tip or not to tip in this situation, and in no case he should do what he did. I wish you written his name down, or have a description. Was he in uniform? You can send me a private message about date, time and room number.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pansted00
There is no butler service at the Sheraton Taipei .
My own recent and personal experience says you are wrong. Maybe you didn't get it, but I certainly did. And I think also everyone on my floor did. There is a butler button on the phone and when you call they tell you that they will send the butler around.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.