Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grand Taipei, Taiwan [Master Thread]

Old Nov 10, 2014, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Grand Taipei, Taiwan [Master Thread]

Old May 4, 2011, 10:52 pm

2 Stays in the past weeks

This is my choice hotel when I'm in Taipei. My postings in this thread are mostly the same, but here it is again since I last posted...

Arrival/Check-In

1st Stay - Arrived from the US at 6am, got to the hotel at 830a and was told my room was already prepared for my arrival according to my estimated time of arrival noted in my reservation ^. Room was upgraded to a Director's Room (my choice type as noted in my profile even though I know Diplomatic is upgradable based on availability.) Bell desk took my bags and told me I had packages received by the hotel and will be delivered to my room along with my bags. Welcomed back to the hotel and gave a choice of Platinum amenities. Gave me the 2 standard welcome letters.

2nd Stay - Arrived in the afternoon from Taichung, got to the hotel and was greeted by the concierge that remembered me from my first stay a week ago. Checked-in and was given a diplomatic suite (per my request when I checked out during the 1st stay, haven't stayed in one in a while). The rest are like my first stay.

Accommodation
Always a good choice in Taipei. The Director Room use to have the swivel TV that "separated" the living area and bed area. Not anymore. Other than that, same as before, large bathroom area with L'Occitane amenities.

Diplomatic Suite to me is just lke a Director Room except for a separated living and bedroom area and a guest bath.

Executive Lounge
I know I'm repeating myself from other posts, but this is one of the better lounges in Asia. The executive lounge attendants, greeters, and cooks seemed to have change since last year (maybe some went over to the Le Meridien). The selections are good, not great as before. Still 8+ hot dishes for breakfast and dinner "happy" hour", salads, fruits, cook-to-order of the day, open bar, drinks, etc. Afternoon tea did not have any many selections as before but was sufficient with drink bar, fruits, snacks, fruits, and small sandwiches.

Staff here are phenomenal as always.

Recreation
The fitness center on the 17th floor, although not big, was sufficient with updated fitness equipment, some with personal lcd TVs. If you forget fitness wear, you can borrow them from the fitness center front desk.

The pool on the 18th floor is not heated, so i didn't use, although it might be refreshing during a hot Taipei summer day.

Men's locker room had massage chairs, lockers, sauna, jacuzzi.

Kitchen 12
Had dinner at Kitchen 12 one night at about 1000NT per person + 10%. Lots and lots of people. Need a reservation during weekend nights. I didn't know that, but the executive lounge called down and got me in somehow. Somehow even though the selections were big, it seemed I could have just saved 1000NT and ate in the executive lounge (ok, i was there with friends, so that counted for something). Good service overall.

There are other restaurants here but didn't try this time.

Concierge
Very attentive and responsive for requests. Was able to get exact directions in getting a prepaid SIM card for my 3G phone. Was able to find a place for laundry that didn't cost an arm and a leg. Was able to assist in planning dinner reservations at local restaurants. Normally I don't use the concierge but the staff here was really good.

Overall
Always a good experience. Good location right off of ShanDao Temple MRT station. Just a short stroll to Taipei Main Station. Love this property.
Old May 5, 2011, 4:54 pm

Programs: spg gold,amex platinum
I am another hardcore customer there. Everytime I came to Taipei I had always stay there. I love their lounge staff, they are so polite. Last time I stay there, they told me just go to the lounge get a drink and they will prepare all the paper work ready to come to my table to have me sign, instead of sitting at executive staff desk there, samething with check-out. They prepare everything, I just need to hold the pen and ask where do I sign. haha. I Am staying there again in Oct, although I kinda want to try out W Taipei.
Old May 5, 2011, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Fruit
Just to confirm, Sheraton Taipei moved to Cat 4. I was checking on booking the place and noticed the change too. Very disappointed as this is an older (renovated) hotel compared to the other new Starwood properties that are opening.

I have to second previous poster on service. Service is definitely good here. Although there were hit and miss moments. BUT overall much better then other Starwood properties in the US.
With other SPG properties in Taipei also Cat. 4 and newer, there is little justification to stay at the S/Taipei on points unless you are not using an award and the rate is decent. Service at the S/Taipei can be quite inconsistent and at times, frustrating. A close colleague of mine recently returned from Taipei and told me how a confirmed upgrade to Suite and late check-out via Platinum Concierge was later relinquished upon check-in with the latter due to "your room was already assigned to someone else who requested an early check-in". That's not a valid reason to deny 4PM late check-out. After following up with the hotel management, the hotel admitted the front desk erred, especially the part about 4PM late check-out. Other than apologizing, the hotel totally refused the guest's request for a 3,000 Starpoints in compensation. Supposedly, that's after he wrote e-mails to a Front office manager, then the GM and the GM promptly denied the request without giving any reason. So my colleague escalated this SPG Corporate, they apologized, and admitted it was not up to their expected standards and the Corporate intervened and credited him with 4,000 points instead. He used to stay at this hotel quite often but it seems as though this hotel had change of GM last year and things have gone downhill since including the downgrades in the Club Lounge that many are reporting. In the past, it made sense to consider this property but now that it's also Cat. 4 and the Westin also has a lounge for those who care, + it's newer, there is no reason to favor this property anymore, not with what seems to be happening lately.
Old May 6, 2011, 7:49 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by Guava
In the past, it made sense to consider this property but now that it's also Cat. 4 and the Westin also has a lounge for those who care, + it's newer, there is no reason to favor this property anymore, not with what seems to be happening lately.
Westin now often has rates lower than Shearton, and they (and to a lesser degree, the other newer starwoods) continue to have Cash and Point deals while Sheraton seems to have stopped altogether. I think one possible reason is that Sheraton is now full of tourist groups from China and from Japan. They made the hotel very corwded most of the time, particularly over weekends when it is hard to even walk from the elevators to the lobby; one has to fight the long lines of people jammed the walkway waiting for the buffet. It alost feels like in a crowded Las Vegas hotel at buffet time.
Old May 6, 2011, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by PanAmWT
Westin now often has rates lower than Shearton, and they (and to a lesser degree, the other newer starwoods) continue to have Cash and Point deals while Sheraton seems to have stopped altogether. I think one possible reason is that Sheraton is now full of tourist groups from China and from Japan. They made the hotel very corwded most of the time, particularly over weekends when it is hard to even walk from the elevators to the lobby; one has to fight the long lines of people jammed the walkway waiting for the buffet. It alost feels like in a crowded Las Vegas hotel at buffet time.
agreed... as i noted in my last trip review, the place is PACKED on the weekends, couldn't even get a table until the Executive lounge "butlers" got me in... there was a table next to the bell desk when i was there on a daily basis with 2 japanese tour group liaisons sitting there throughout the day, "billboards" showing which tour groups go where, and there were lots of mainland Chinese tours at the hotels as well.

now that this prop is a Cat 4 with little or no C+P, it seems that the Westin is now a better choice, even though i still believe the lounge at the Sheraton is better than the Westin....

service here at the S/Taipei has always been good for me and have stayed consistent throughout the years, even when the property was full. well taken care of here (and at the Westin, but stayed here this round because I booked my stays when it was still a Cat 3 ).

now that every Taipei SPG property (other than 4P) is a Cat 4, its time to go back to check out the Westin (lots of C+P availability), the W (no lounge but an awesome pool scene), or the Le Meridien (never been but walked past it on the way to 101).
Old May 6, 2011, 1:12 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
Originally Posted by myperks
... there was a table next to the bell desk when i was there on a daily basis with 2 japanese tour group liaisons sitting there throughout the day, "billboards" showing which tour groups go where, and there were lots of mainland Chinese tours at the hotels as well. ...
This week is the Japanese Golden Week holiday. The Sheraton tends to have a lot of Japanese customers and caters to them. It is close to shopping areas where prices are a bargain compared to Japan.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 4:44 am

Programs: Free Agent
I understand that the Club Lounge offers an excellent breakfast, but does the Sheraton allow Plats to eat downstairs in the restaurant as a free option? Thanks!
Old Oct 15, 2011, 7:12 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by Condition One
I understand that the Club Lounge offers an excellent breakfast, but does the Sheraton allow Plats to eat downstairs in the restaurant as a free option? Thanks!
Highly unlikely.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 3:44 am

Finishing up a stay here. A very solid property. A few days prior to checking in, I saw that I was upgraded to a Diplomatic Suite. It's a solid room. Airport transfers are 2400TWD each way, and the cars have WiFi! Hotel is located right next to Shandao Temple station on the Blue Line.

Breakfast in the lounge is decent, but can't beat the selection downstairs. There's an egg station there too, which is nice. When checking in, I was told that I could eat in the restaurant, but was asked to eat in the Club. As I have a somewhat early flight tomorrow, I'm going to eat in the restaurant (which opens at 6:30am), compared to the lounge (7am).

Afternoon snacks from 2-4pm consist of small desserts, sodas, and spring rolls. Very minor. Hot food is available from 5:30-7:30pm and is pretty much like a buffet restaurant with at least a dozen different types of food. I've actually been eating dinner there every night. It's that substantial. There's only two small desserts though, but it gave me an excuse to venture out in search of Mango Ice afterwards.

The gym opens at 6am. If you're an early person like I am, beware that they may not turn on their AC until opening time. When I got there at opening time, the gym was a balmy 73F with 75% humidity! I might have had a more comfortable run outside!

All the staff I've interacted with speak excellent English. A bit frustrating, because I'm trying to practice my Chinese and the second I mispronounce something or stumble over a word, they immediately switch to English
Old Oct 23, 2011, 4:46 am

When checking in, I was told that I could eat in the restaurant, but was asked to eat in the Club. As I have a somewhat early flight tomorrow, I'm going to eat in the restaurant (which opens at 6:30am), compared to the lounge (7am).)
Can you confirm that you was able to eat in the restaurant? I was actually staying in this hotel when I saw your earlier question, I asked the Club staff before I posted my answer to you, because the Club staff told me that Plats need to pay to eat in the restaurant. So I am very interested in what you said. Do you remember who at check in told you that? You probably do not have the name, but if you can describe the person, a man, a woman, tall, short, etc, it may help. It would be great if this option is available because of the earlier open time.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 11:38 pm

Was not charged for breakfast this morning. I asked if the charge had posted to my account upon checkout, but the receptionist told me that he didn't see it, but not to worry as I was a Platinum.

You can PM me for his name if you'd like.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 12:59 am

Was not charged for breakfast this morning. I asked if the charge had posted to my account upon checkout, but the receptionist told me that he didn't see it, but not to worry as I was a Platinum.

You can PM me for his name if you'd like.
That is absolutely fantastic! Apparently counter agents downstairs know more than the club receptionists upstairs. Thank you!
Old Jan 11, 2012, 12:23 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Originally Posted by hardcorepoet
although I kinda want to try out W Taipei.
I don't mean to bash another hotel in this thread but I found my stay at the W Taipei incredibly mediocre. Why not, for not much more NTDs, book a stay at Le Meridien Taipei?
Old Jan 14, 2012, 2:43 am

Originally Posted by mjcewl1284
I don't mean to bash another hotel in this thread but I found my stay at the W Taipei incredibly mediocre. Why not, for not much more NTDs, book a stay at Le Meridien Taipei?
Can you give some specifics on why the W experience was so bad?
Old Jan 14, 2012, 6:36 am

Programs: Delta Platinum AA Platinum UA Dirt Grey Marriott Ambassador Hyatt Globalist
Anyone of you know how this property compares to the Grand Hyatt Teipei?

First time visitor to TPE here on a short 18h layover in between MR's.

Cheers
F2L

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.