Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Toronto Courtyard Downtown [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2004, 10:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

I did a search but didn't find anything about the Toronto Courtyard Downtown (not airport). Has anyone stayed there recently? Have any reports on the good, the bad, the ugly?

I'm staying at Hilton on award this time, but next time am thinking of Courtyard since it's significantly less than Marriott downtown.

Any info appreciated. Cheers. Sharon
Old Sep 30, 2004, 10:59 am
jfl
Original Member

I stayed there on a Priceline stay 4 weeks ago and was pleased, especially with the price, $32 US.

My 12th floor room was comfortable and clean. Self parking across the street was $15 Cdn. Didn't eat in the hotel restaurants so can't comment on those.

Construction work is being done on the Carlton street trolley tracks a block away but I never heard any noise from the construction.

I have found that the Courtyard and Marriott Eaton Place often come up on Priceline for very similar prices, maybe $3-5 difference. Parking is higher at the Marriott but only by about $5.

I've been very pleased with my stays at both hotels.
Old Sep 30, 2004, 11:19 am

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
I have stayed there a couple of times, but the last one was a couple of years ago. Still, the place was always clean, staff friendly, and rooms very comfortable.

A bit of a walk from the financial district or convention center if that is where you need to be, but a subway/underground station is only a block away.
Old Sep 30, 2004, 11:39 am
Original Poster

It's been years since I stayed at a Courtyard - does it have room service or a bar? Also, hi-speed internet? And what can I expect as Platinum?

Cheers. Sharon
Old Sep 30, 2004, 3:17 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
I know they have a cocktail lounge. Only ate breakfast at the restaurant, but am pretty sure they served lunch and dinner too. Don't remember if room service was available. Since I am only a lowly silver, I cannot answer your last question.

That is a pretty lively part of town, so you have lots of other food and drink options.
Old Sep 30, 2004, 7:15 pm

They do have room service. Although dad complained of having to wait about an hour for a pizza from in room dining when I sent him there for his birthday.
Old Oct 1, 2004, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all! Cheers. Sharon
Old Oct 1, 2004, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Have stayed at both the Marriott Eaton Place and the Courtyard in Toronto. Marriott is definitely a nicer property and located adjacent to the Eaton Place shopping center. Rooms where nice (in your typical Marriott decor) and the Steakhouse in the restaurant was very good. Courtyard is more of a budget accomodation with nice clean rooms. Due to the Courtyard's lower price, I have found that the hotel can be noisy on weekends. Last time I stayed there we had a room full of college kids staying next to us. We where out pretty late as well and it is kind of a pain when you get woke up by screaming partying kids in the hallways and rooms. This can however happen at any hotel!

Overall I would go with the Marriott if the price difference is not that large. If you are on a budget.....pick the Courtyard. Both are save bets!
Old Oct 1, 2004, 11:23 pm

I stayed at the courtyard quite a bit when I had a contract in Toronto.

There is a sushi joint called "Kokyo Sushi" on the North side of the hotel just off of Yonge (sp?). The lead sushi guy Johnny was really great and I quickly became a regular...

Cheers.

B
Old Oct 1, 2004, 11:32 pm
Original Poster

Marriott is showing $289C (w/ discount $269C). With code I can get Courtyard for $109C - while I would prefer the Marriott, I'm not sure exec lounge etc is worth $150C. Hence my interest in Courtyard (especially if trip is on my dime).

This trip I'm at Hilton on Award, but next trips will be paid on my nickel. And given how much time I spend in room (not that much)...you get my point.

Thanks for input. Cheers. Sharon
Old Oct 2, 2004, 7:17 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
Courtyard is former Howard Johnson property, but was renovated. It's one subway stop north of the Marriott on Yonge St. (Eaton Centre) and two south of the Marriott on Bloor St. There isn't as much to do in the immediate area as there is at the other two properties, but $109 is a very good rate for downtown. The Courtyard gets a lot of tour bus business on weekends.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 4:09 pm

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
I have stayed at this hotel three times (including a stay as I type this right now).

The rooms are nice and clean and the beds comfortable. The hotel is relatively newly refurbished, having been converted from a Howard Johnson's in the early 2000s.

Internet is free in-room, both wired and wifi, though the wifi is quite slow. Flat screen TVs with a wide selection of TV channels. They have a pool - it is (Dec 2009) being renovated.

There is a bar downstairs, and a restaurant. Room service is available. It is fine - nothing to write home about. There are tons of restaurants within walking distance, so I'd suggest going out instead.

Staff is always nice and friendly. They have each time recognised my status.

Please let me know if anyone has questions.

Greg
Old Jan 18, 2010, 7:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
I stayed at this property last summer and really liked it. Very good value for money.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 1:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Platinum, Mileage Plus Silver
I stay here about 10 nights a year for work and it is a clean, reliable property which is usually about $30-70 a night cheaper than the other FS Marriotts in the area. Also close to public transit and would highly recommend it to anyone on a budget.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 8:34 am
Suspended

Thinking about staying here mid-July on a AAA rate of $129 Cdn with Buffet Breakfast for 2 or $110 Senior w/o breakfast. Which to choose?

Also, have read that the rooms in the South Tower are nicer than those in the North Tower -- accurate?

Finally, I know that it is downtown, but is there a place nearby to park for less than $30 Cdn per day? I don't think I will need in/out privs.

Thanks,

NJ

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.