Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Toronto Courtyard Downtown [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Toronto Courtyard Downtown [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2018, 3:57 am

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
Originally Posted by CJKatl
The hotel is not a typical CY. It is more like an older seventies urban Holiday Inn, which will not be for everyone.
It used to be a Howard Johnson's. Never had an orange roof, though.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 5:35 am

Programs: Amex-gold, Hainan-gold, Mrt-LT Titanium
This 'CY' has a modern 'CY' lobby that is large. Its on Yonge street & near the subway line.. Only about 3 blocks from Eaton centre.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 9:39 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Stayed here for one night at the end of April. Nothing new to report about the staff and rooms that hasn't already been mentioned in the thread many times. One odd thing is that my room keys kept de-magnetizing so I had to have them replaced three times. By the time I was leaving I had eight room key cards laying around and I'm pretty sure none of them worked. The front desk said it may have been because they were in proximity to my credit cards but I've never had this happen before.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 9:54 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by GregWTravels
It used to be a Howard Johnson's. Never had an orange roof, though.
This makes sense because I LOVED HoJos. Clam night was a holiday in my house growing up. The Fudgiana is an all-time favorite dessert. And their chocolate lollipop was indescribable.
GregWTravels likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 6:34 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Stayed here for 4 nights.

There is signage that this is "the largest courtyard in the world!" which was in quotations, so dunno if that's a fact or if they heard someone say that so they made posters.

As a platinum, I was offered 500 points or the $10usd/person/night chits, which is worth $13cad a chit, and i booked for a second guest so i had a $104cad food and "beverage" credit. I tried using these chits for drinks and was told in a very Ontario way "you cannot use this for alcohol, is this not the rule at every other courtyard outside of ontario? you should know this!" I then had to explain literally every hotel in the world outside of ontario will accept chit for beverages. Also, you can only use 2 chits per day, or as the server clarified, per check.

Got upgraded to a corner room with balcony in the south tower. But the internet did not work so I complained, spent 20 mins with guesttek trying to trouble shoot (which actually works most the time) and was given 2000 points goodwill, and would be moved to another room. The second room was not as nice/expansive/with a balcony, was in the north tower, but it's fine. All the rooms very recently renovated, comfortable, standard courtyard. The wifi-to-tv feature does not work yet. No suites were available, I did ask, as this hotel was apparently sold out.

The pool had a hot tub but they literally boarded it up then put chairs on top. Chintziness or a party hotel run amok, I dunno. Great property I like it and the location is decent.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 7:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

Chits may or may not be used for booze based on local state/province/country rules, so no the 'every hotel outside of Ontario will accept this' is wrong. That's up to the property to inform, since most travelers wouldn't know, but no need to give the staff a hard time. And yes, it's 2 $10 chits per day, not per check - aka, you could use one earlier in the day & one later in the day/

My guess (and it's only that), is that if the hot tub was boarded up, some prior party went bad, they need to get the eco folk (or others) to fix it all, & it was easier to board it up. But they should have put a note out letting everyone know.

But good to know overall that the hotel worked out.

Cheers.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
My guess (and it's only that), is that if the hot tub was boarded up, some prior party went bad, they need to get the eco folk (or others) to fix it all, & it was easier to board it up. But they should have put a note out letting everyone know.
The hot tub has been boarded up for months. I think they are done with it. I can ask. They've fixed the gym up a little in recent months with some better cardio machines and a couple of weeks ago they were re-doing the walls. It's a decent improvement on the old gym.

Re: $10 drink chit it's clearly stated it's not for alcohol (which is a shame). I usually take the points, but if I'm feeling like CY breakfast daily, the $10 helps.

The elevators have their issues. On my last stay 2 of the 4 on the south tower were broken, so morning and peak periods were terrible for 17 floors (cleaning staff using the guest elevators too). The hotel put out water and fruit at the Lobby Level outside the elevators to apologies for the inconvenience(s).

The WiFi throughout the entire hotel is usually pretty poor, including premium internet. The beds, bathrooms post renovation a couple of years ago are solid, and the location is excellent.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Update: In the last two weeks, Courtyard Toronto Downtown is now giving daily breakfast coupon vouchers to the buffet/Nook area. $CAD24 value. Gratuity & Tax Included.
Valid for you and one guest.
Dated for each day of your stay.
Valid for Bonvoy Platinum & up.
^

Welcome amenity is still 500 points or $CAD10 F&B credit daily (no alcohol, etc, same rules apply as listed in this thread).

Front Desk Clerk said it was launched 'based on guest feedback'.
unclepants and moos16 like this.
Old May 7, 2019, 10:13 am

Only Gold Elite status here. I just booked using my points for a stay for mid Jul. I've never been to TO so I hope the location of this property is convenient to tourist attractions.

One question I have is: I booked for 5 nights (5th night free using points). I think I am most likely going to stay 4 nights and forfeit the 5th. There is no penalty I'm assuming?
Old May 7, 2019, 12:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
No penalty, but you won't get any points back.

Cheers.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 7:19 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I'm currently staying at this property. I normally stay at the Sheraton Centre or Marriot Eaton Centre. Overall, the property is nice. I would say that the elevators (at least on the South Tower) need a major overhaul. Extremely slow and as other posters have indicated -- you can hear them from nearly any and all rooms. I have a fairly remote room far from the elevator banks but you can hear the shafts while in the bathroom. Interior of a king sized room is quite spacious with a sofa (pull out), coffee table, separate desk, etc. Surprisingly, the room safe has got to be the LOUDEST beeping thing I've used in all the hotels I've ever been in! Good grief, its nearly ear piercing as you press the buttons.

Everything is nicely kept up from the renovations and very clean. There is still construction nearby but nothing during the evening hours of course.

Only thing I received as Ambassador level upon check-in was a small paper bag with a bottle of water in it with a small bottle of maple syrup. No mention of lounge benefits, breakfast, etc. No idea if my corporate rate included it (usually it does) or what not -- nevertheless, I usually never have time so its not a big deal to me.

The lobby/foyer area is very nicely laid out -- lots of staff, seating, etc. I would argue that the common areas are nicer than the Marriot Eaton Centre. (which by the way, still annoys the hell out of me that they can't connect the damned thing back to the mall itself!)
Old Dec 4, 2019, 7:56 am

Programs: Emirates Silver, Marriott Platinum... Previously AC*SE100K, Star Alliance Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by Cerberus
The lobby/foyer area is very nicely laid out -- lots of staff, seating, etc. I would argue that the common areas are nicer than the Marriot Eaton Centre. (which by the way, still annoys the hell out of me that they can't connect the damned thing back to the mall itself!)
I believe they are connected... I walked from the hotel to the mall itself via a skywalk and a carpark a few years ago. Not sure if it's still open.
Maybe ask some of the hotel staff?
Old Dec 4, 2019, 8:13 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cager
I believe they are connected... I walked from the hotel to the mall itself via a skywalk and a carpark a few years ago. Not sure if it's still open.
Maybe ask some of the hotel staff?
Nope, my last stay was in the summer when it was pouring rain. It hasn't been connected since they did the renovations to Sears to Nordstroms.
Old Sep 4, 2021, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Does anyone have any recent experience at this property? Have a reservation here next week (which I may or may not need), but it's been a while since I've been around this property, and interested in someone's perspective. I'm probably going to be mostly around St. Clair/Yonge area, and used to stay at the Marriott on Bloor when it existed - for the location only - it was an average, if that, Marriott (and I'm interested to see if that building will transform into a an actual proper W - I have my doubts).

Never actually stayed at this CY property, and in fact, I probably last was inside it around 8-10 years ago.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 4:58 am

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
Stayed at this property recently. Some photos of the room. Got a nice welcome gift bag for being a Titanium member.

Note that a planning application has been put in to pull the hotel down and replace with higher towers. No mention of a hotel in the developers plans, so we may be seeing the end of the Courtyard Downtown Toronto.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.