Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Merriweather Lakehouse, Autograph Collection, Columbia, MD [Master Thread]

Old May 3, 2022, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
This hotel has been remodeled, renamed and rebranded to Merriweather Lakehouse, Autograph Collection.

Formerly Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel
Print Wikipost

Merriweather Lakehouse, Autograph Collection, Columbia, MD [Master Thread]

Old May 15, 2021, 6:39 pm

It's more than a remodel, they're adding a new third wing.

The original low-rise motel wing opened in 1972 as the Cross Keys Inn. The tower was added in 1982, when it became the Columbia Inn. It became a Sheraton in 1998 and closed in 2019 for renovations and the addition of the new wing.

Here's the new wing, which is attached to the 1982 tower. The photo is from the hotel's Facebook on March 19:

And here are some renderings of it:

This old diagram shows the layout of the 1972 motel wing and the 1982 tower. You can see the open land adjacent to the tower where the new tower was built:

Last edited by James Luckard; May 15, 2021 at 6:46 pm
Old May 15, 2021, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Thanks for the images and finding the photo.

Yeah, the condition of the old motel wing prior to closing in 2019 was absolutely atrocious. And, as I noted previously, the tower was moving quickly that way as well.

The property's fact sheet page doesn't say anything about a lounge so I guess it is gone.

Also, with 10 floors, 203 rooms, 9 suites, is the old motel wing now gone? Or torn down and another building built - but there's not enough rooms showing to add up to 203 rooms.

David
cfabar1 likes this.
Old May 16, 2021, 3:16 pm

Not sure. They don't seem especially proud of the ancient motel wing, which they generously call the "Lodge" on that old map. It's not shown in any of the renderings, but I'm not sure if that's because it was torn down or just because they want people to think/hope it was.

I think the number of rooms on that fact sheet may be outdated. It seems to match the pre-renovation hotel.

This announcement of the new wing says "Owner and developer Costello Construction will add 70 rooms, bringing the total to 290," suggesting no rooms would be removed:

https://www.bizjournals.com/baltimor...l-replace.html
Old May 16, 2021, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Having wandered "the Lodge" wing on my one and only stay there, I was mystified as to its architecture and its motor inn feel. Your note that this property began as the Cross Keys Inn made me look and I found this image from Minnesota State University, Mankato:

Unfortunately, I suspect that the developer has not done the honorable thing and reduced it to rubble.

David

p.s. Also, Costello Construction appears to be located in the office building adjacent to the property per Google Maps.
James Luckard likes this.
Old May 16, 2021, 8:23 pm

Cross Keys Inns appears to have been a chain of two motels owned by The Rouse Company, the developers of the planned community of Columbia, Maryland.

Here's a 1970 article, announcing the two motels:
https://www.baltimoresun.com/marylan...603-story.html

At that time, only the Baltimore location was to be called the Cross Keys Inn, the Columbia one was to be called the Columbia Inn. Eventually, they both opened as Cross Keys Inns, and the Columbia property took on its originally intended name in 1982, when they added the tower.

Here's a matchbook on eBay from the 70s, showing them both operating as Cross Keys Inns:

And here's a matchbook on eBay from after the tower wing was added and the name was changed:

You're right, I have no idea why the ancient motel wing hasn't been demolished. It was disingenuous of them to advertise the hotel, when it was a Sheraton, using photos of only the tower wing, when half the rooms are in the old motel wing. And it seems that'll still be the case.
LSEGallipot likes this.

Last edited by James Luckard; May 16, 2021 at 8:35 pm
Old May 16, 2021, 8:32 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Are they remodeling all the rooms?
Old May 16, 2021, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by cfabar1
Are they remodeling all the rooms?
It sounds like it. The announcement I posted a few posts above says:

The Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel will soon undergo $20 million in renovations to bring the property up to par with the four-star standards of its new Marriott Autograph flag.Owner and developer Costello Construction will add 70 rooms, bringing the total to 290, and update the entire interior and exterior of the hotel that sits on Lake Kittamaqundi at 10207 Wincopin Cir.
and

The four-star brand has high standards, Costello said, so the building's HVAC systems will need to be updated and all bathrooms and flooring in the hotel will also be redone. The atrium will also be completely redesigned, and other common areas and amenity spaces will be added or updated like a fitness center, dining and bar areas, outdoor fire pits, a rooftop pool, meeting and conference areas and possibly a spa. The hotel's entryway will also change.
Old May 16, 2021, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by James Luckard
It sounds like it. The announcement I posted a few posts above says:

The four-star brand has high standards, Costello said, so the building's HVAC systems will need to be updated and all bathrooms and flooring in the hotel will also be redone. The atrium will also be completely redesigned, and other common areas and amenity spaces will be added or updated like a fitness center, dining and bar areas, outdoor fire pits, a rooftop pool, meeting and conference areas and possibly a spa. The hotel's entryway will also change.
Poking at their project's web page (https://www.costelloconstruction.com...-center-hotel/), it appears that the added south tower is built into the prior tower's southwest corner which had a brick facade and the Sheraton logo which then necessitated moving the front entrance:

From Google Maps:

David
James Luckard and LSEGallipot like this.
Old May 2, 2022, 10:50 am

Can this thread be renamed to the Merriweather Lakehouse as that is the name of the new property?

As a second note, this property might be engaging in sketchy behavior when it comes to upgrades to suites. I contacted the front desk about a potential upgrade to suite for a stay later this week given there was plenty of availability. The hotel indicated that the property has suites but none are eligible for upgrades despite availability as per their management policy. I reached out Marriott customer service who called the front desk and clarified that they will upgrade based on availability at check in. However, when I called the front desk again, the staff indicated that they do not do upgrades to suites at their property without explicit approval from management ahead of time (i.e., no one would ever be upgraded even upon availability during check in). I was then transferred to the manager who backtracked and said there are only a limited number of suites available and they typically always book up so that's why they do not do complimentary upgrades but they follow Marriott rules. Right after the call, I looked online and all of the suites were no longer showing up as available. This is a 1 night stay in the middle of the week so there doesn't seem to be any events going on. To the property's credit, I was upgraded to a better view room but it seems like this hotel's management has explicitly instructed the front desk staff not to upgrade to suites.
Old May 2, 2022, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ankster
Can this thread be renamed to the Merriweather Lakehouse as that is the name of the new property?
Sure. And based on the below, continuing the original thread with the behavior shown below, provides more context even though the hotel appears to have been remodeled but the hotel management clearly hasn't changed.

As a second note, this property might be engaging in sketchy behavior when it comes to upgrades to suites. I contacted the front desk about a potential upgrade to suite for a stay later this week given there was plenty of availability. The hotel indicated that the property has suites but none are eligible for upgrades despite availability as per their management policy. I reached out Marriott customer service who called the front desk and clarified that they will upgrade based on availability at check in. However, when I called the front desk again, the staff indicated that they do not do upgrades to suites at their property without explicit approval from management ahead of time (i.e., no one would ever be upgraded even upon availability during check in). I was then transferred to the manager who backtracked and said there are only a limited number of suites available and they typically always book up so that's why they do not do complimentary upgrades but they follow Marriott rules. Right after the call, I looked online and all of the suites were no longer showing up as available. This is a 1 night stay in the middle of the week so there doesn't seem to be any events going on. To the property's credit, I was upgraded to a better view room but it seems like this hotel's management has explicitly instructed the front desk staff not to upgrade to suites.
David
Old May 3, 2022, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FWIW and to toss down a gauntlet for those who stay at this property to post how things have changed (or not), here's my night/early morning shots from October 2019 when it was still a Sheraton:

Room 711 in the (old) Tower:

Atrium shots:

Club Lounge (unoccupied @ night):

Waterside Restaurant:

Fitness Center/Centre:

Breakfast in the Club Lounge:

Dawn at Lake Kittamundi:

David
Old Sep 28, 2022, 5:48 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
My company is doing a corporate retreat here next month for 3 days, (I was not on selection committee), but will be sure to report back on all aspects. I have requested upgrade with SNA's as well. We're a group of about 50, so should be a good test on conference space, F&B, etc.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nevansm
My company is doing a corporate retreat here next month for 3 days, (I was not on selection committee), but will be sure to report back on all aspects. I have requested upgrade with SNA's as well. We're a group of about 50, so should be a good test on conference space, F&B, etc.
Please let us know if the decrepit Lakeview/Inn 3 floor northeast side of the property has been demolished. That was one craphole of a place.

David
Old Sep 28, 2022, 11:06 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by DELee
Please let us know if the decrepit Lakeview/Inn 3 floor northeast side of the property has been demolished. That was one craphole of a place.

David
Thinking back on my early (2011) days of SPG status I think I stayed there a night and then it was a pathetic SPG property. I think I got it for $59 though.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nevansm
Thinking back on my early (2011) days of SPG status I think I stayed there a night and then it was a pathetic SPG property. I think I got it for $59 though.
As noted above with photos, I'd stayed back in October 2019 prior to the property shutting down to be Merriweathered.

When I'd walked the length of the property, I was struck by how utterly crappy the buildings from the original Cross Keys Inn were and thinking how awful it would have been to getting assigned one of those rooms.

Dynamite and removal by nuclear device felt insufficient to the utter need to incinerate that place from this Earth.

David

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.