Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

London Marriott Hotel Park Lane, United Kingdom [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

London Marriott Hotel Park Lane, United Kingdom [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2018, 1:13 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by DELee
What is true at this property is that the suites sell out given its clientele base.
Especially true during the summer and around holidays.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 5:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by dayone
Especially true during the summer and around holidays.
Agree. And it's not just true of this property. Heck, I know of a limited service property that has its 2-bedroom suites routinely booked by paying guests the entire summer & during major holidays, so no free upgrades for Plats. Back on topic wrt PL, I didn't realize it had that many suites. I would have put it at a lot less.

Cheers.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by DELee
Highlighted text is untrue. This property has the highest percentage of suites per room count of Marriott properties in the London area (see wiki in Marriott-family hotels in London, England):

What is true at this property is that the suites sell out given its clientele base.

David
My husband is platinum with Marriott and I mentioned it to the hotel front desk on the 3rd day of our 7 nights stay there and finally found out that they would be willing to give me a suite upgrade for 5 nights of our stay after the hell of not having a bathtub in both rooms for our 1 and 3y olds. It was extremely hard to shower an 1y old in the smallest shower in the whole property.

Then for the next 5 days, I check every night and none of the suites were sold out during first week of Aug. I feel they still might not give platinum members to upgrade to suites even if it's not sold out for the whole week..it's really bt luck especially we stayed for 7 nights and booked 2 rooms.

We ended up to give the upgrade suite to my parents because they were given a very gross room - the wheelechair accessble room. They are perfectly healthy so i have no idea why the hotel assigned them that room.

We still end up not having a bathtub for the whole week in that hotel with our 1 and 3y old so we just went to my parents suite eacn night to give both kids a bath.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 8:46 pm

I'm Plat, have stayed at the Park Lane 2 times & was upgraded to a suite the 2nd time. The first time no upgrades were available to Plats because the Olympic choosing committee who was deciding between London & some other venue got all the suites. However, in that instance I was upgraded to a huge room with plenty of space.

But as everyone knows, the longer the stay the less chance of a suite upgrade. Not many hotels are willing to take a suite that they can sell out of circulation for 7 days. Also, there are times a hotel may have suites available some of the nights but not all of them so technically the suite isn't available for a stay. Not all hotels want to deal w/ musical room changes (my term) - ie, reg room one night, suite for a few nights, then back to reg room.

Re: the accessible room. Depending on how booked the hotel was that may have been what was available at the time & if your parents didn't have status, they drew the short straw. Also, not all ADA rooms are 'gross'. In some instances they're the same as other rooms with a few mods.

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Aug 8, 2018 at 8:52 pm
Old Aug 9, 2018, 1:35 am

Think twice before you book this hotel.

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I'm Plat, have stayed at the Park Lane 2 times & was upgraded to a suite the 2nd time. The first time no upgrades were available to Plats because the Olympic choosing committee who was deciding between London & some other venue got all the suites. However, in that instance I was upgraded to a huge room with plenty of space.

But as everyone knows, the longer the stay the less chance of a suite upgrade. Not many hotels are willing to take a suite that they can sell out of circulation for 7 days. Also, there are times a hotel may have suites available some of the nights but not all of them so technically the suite isn't available for a stay. Not all hotels want to deal w/ musical room changes (my term) - ie, reg room one night, suite for a few nights, then back to reg room.

Re: the accessible room. Depending on how booked the hotel was that may have been what was available at the time & if your parents didn't have status, they drew the short straw. Also, not all ADA rooms are 'gross'. In some instances they're the same as other rooms with a few mods.

Cheers.
We all have Gold with Marriott including my parents except for my husband who is Plat. But anyway, this hotel is full of problems from the min we checked in until we checked out. What in the world would take them 8 days to fix the kids channel? None of them were working after 7pm. Our 1 and 3 year olds were so jet lagged and couldn't sleep until 3am and we were only able to give them the small iPads we brought from home. The engineer from the hotel couldn't connect the ipad to their TV for 2 days straight and nothing was done after 7 nights.

The floor for the wheelechair accessible room were so rough that you have to wear flip flop to take a shower. Would would want a room like that??? It's just extremely rude in my culture that healthy people were assigned a room like that. There were other rooms available that night but I am sure they were holding the suite for the paying guests.

Then on the 2nd night, my parents finally got a NORMAL room but the towel heating rack was broken. Engineer came up TWICE that night tried hard to fix it but couldn't and said he would return next morning to replace it. After out on a private car for 10h, my parents returned to find out it was NOT replaced. Then we had to call the front dest again and only to learned that it will take 4 days to get it replaced. It was just too many problems with this hotel all together... I am too tired to even go on and on about it.

Please be aware if you wanna stay at this hotel... you might get the worst room ever on this property even if you are gold or plat with marriott just because they are holding all other NICER rooms/suites for paying guests. We really hope no one else would waste so many hours of their vacation on "problems" at this hotel.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 10:32 am

It sounds like you had a bad experience. Others of us who have posted in this thread have had lovely stays at the hotel & would return again. So it's truly a YMMV situation.

Cheers.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 11:48 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
You made a fuss about a heated towel rack not working?
Kacee likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by catocony
You made a fuss about a heated towel rack not working?
Perhaps the concern is that it overheated the room and the AC noisily worked to cool it.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Originally Posted by pilgrim
Perhaps the concern is that it overheated the room and the AC noisily worked to cool it.
It's a towel rack, not a stove. However, if it was too hot, closing the door would be a good option.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 7:02 am

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Meh

Just completed two stays of 2 days each at this property. Plus gifted one stay of 2 days to a friend. All on points.

In all 3 rooms, the room safe was not functional (key in 4th number and get 'err' -- probably low battery condition). For the first stay, I called down and was told to wait for an engineer. I waited for a few minutes before deciding my time was more valuable than his and returned to reception where I was allocated a different room. For the second stay I immediately returned downstairs to get a new room.

The first stay, the A/C went out on a very hot day, resulting in an unpleasant night. The next day I still wasn't sure whether the A/C was working and so an engineer came up. He said the air filter and coil needed cleaning. He cleaned both and emerged from the compartment covered in dust -- which I was probably breathing in all night. The hotel proactively credited me 5000 points, which I suppose is to their credit. Then again, after 5-6 days my stay still has not posted -- which in my experience means it never will post without me having to chase it down.

The second stay, I got moved to a room near both the elevator and a service area, which made the room a little nosier than I would have liked.

The rooms are charming. However in this renovated property, the switches and plugs are still *ancient*. There are no international plugs, the HVAC is operated by two old-fashioned knobs set in a tarnished brass plate with faded markings, and the switches and lights are a bewildering mess to operate.

The lounge was OK but the entrance is not staffed, leading to what are probably abuses, e.g. one person buzzes in and a gaggle pours through. Breakfast is offered in the restaurant or lounge and was enjoyable.

I'm on the fence about whether I'd stay again, or try somewhere else next time. I appreciated the last-0minute availability of rooms for redemption stays, and the charm of the place... but there were just too many little rookie mistakes and issues with the physical plant.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 10:01 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
I was here in Spring for one night on points and upgraded to a beautiful Park Lane suite. Lovely bathroom, wonderfully comfy bed. Great lounge, with long breakfast and evening hours plus afternoon tea too. Breakfast can be taken in the lounge or restaurant, the restaurant breakfast is served cooked to order, delicious!. Faultless staff interactions throughout. Very much a five-star stay!
unclepants likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by tai4de2
Just completed two stays of 2 days each at this property. Plus gifted one stay of 2 days to a friend. All on points.

In all 3 rooms, the room safe was not functional (key in 4th number and get 'err' -- probably low battery condition). For the first stay, I called down and was told to wait for an engineer. I waited for a few minutes before deciding my time was more valuable than his and returned to reception where I was allocated a different room. For the second stay I immediately returned downstairs to get a new room.

The first stay, the A/C went out on a very hot day, resulting in an unpleasant night. The next day I still wasn't sure whether the A/C was working and so an engineer came up. He said the air filter and coil needed cleaning. He cleaned both and emerged from the compartment covered in dust -- which I was probably breathing in all night. The hotel proactively credited me 5000 points, which I suppose is to their credit. Then again, after 5-6 days my stay still has not posted -- which in my experience means it never will post without me having to chase it down.

The second stay, I got moved to a room near both the elevator and a service area, which made the room a little nosier than I would have liked.

The rooms are charming. However in this renovated property, the switches and plugs are still *ancient*. There are no international plugs, the HVAC is operated by two old-fashioned knobs set in a tarnished brass plate with faded markings, and the switches and lights are a bewildering mess to operate.

The lounge was OK but the entrance is not staffed, leading to what are probably abuses, e.g. one person buzzes in and a gaggle pours through. Breakfast is offered in the restaurant or lounge and was enjoyable.

I'm on the fence about whether I'd stay again, or try somewhere else next time. I appreciated the last-0minute availability of rooms for redemption stays, and the charm of the place... but there were just too many little rookie mistakes and issues with the physical plant.
Yes, that's exactly how we all feel after staying there for 7 nights. It was a lot of things that added up (and wasted our vacation time) on dealing with them.

1. Why does it take the hotel DAYS to get the kids Channel to work after 7pm? It was still NOT solved after 7 nights.

2. If towel rack wasn't working, just simply give me a different room instead of telling me it would be fixed after hours of engineering coming it during the night to TRY to fix it. It was just a lot of hours wasted on waiting and waiting and waiting.

3. How hard it was to get us 1 room out of 2 with a bathtub to give my 1 and 3 old a bath? It was HELL for 1 adult to hold the 1y old down in the tiny little shower and me trying to shower him. We wasted hours again on this matter with the hotel front desk

Over all, as 1 plat and 3 gold Marriott members between 2 rooms, we just felt it was one of the worst hotel experience we have ever had. We had stayed at Four seasons Bora Bora, Fairmont in Hawaii, Shangrila in Vancouver and many other more properties around $800 usd/night range but they were all much better than London Park Lane.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 8:19 pm

Do you think there was a recent change ? Reviews were glowing earlier this year.

Last edited by pilgrim; Aug 13, 2018 at 1:56 pm
Old Aug 13, 2018, 12:34 am

Programs: MR rewards
Ask them for 247-249 or similar nice spacious rooms.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by musicscrip
... the hell of not having a bathtub in both rooms for our 1 and 3y olds. It was extremely hard to shower an 1y old in the smallest shower in the whole property.
I read (what I assume was) your review on TripAdvisor and am a little concerned about this myself as we're traveling with a 19-month old and staying at the PL from 23 Aug - 30 Aug. Hopefully, our experience will be a little better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.