Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

London Marriott Hotel Park Lane, United Kingdom [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

London Marriott Hotel Park Lane, United Kingdom [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2017, 2:44 am

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jacobslide
On my way to London, and cannot for the life of me decide between these three hotels for award redemption:

The London Edition
Grosvenor House
London Marriott Hotel Park Lane

Curious to know if anyone has had any experience and can provide any help. I'm Gold so hoping that a room upgrade will be in my future.
Do NOT stay at the Park Lane. Don't do it. I'm Platinum and checked in yesterday at around 16:00. I noticed on Sunday that the app showed me moved from regular "Deluxe" room into a "Superior" Mayfair room.

At check-in, the room wasn't ready. Rather than offer me to wait for it, she moved me to another "Superior" room. There's nothing superior about it. It has the worst view of any hotel room I've ever had. Ever. My window is 4-6' directly across the air shaft from another guest's room, there is no natural light and the air shaft is littered with debris. There are also noises coming from it.

I went to the app and it showed availability in all classes of room, including Mayfair, and pushed hard with the front desk who told me my current room was still considered an "upgrade". I advised I don't care if I have the smallest room in the house, but I want a window that sees the light of sun. I was quite rudely advised that's not going to happen. What's so frustrating is that I generally do not care about what kind of room I get, I just want to be able to see outside and sleep well. I love that Starwood has the option for you to select "Best View" instead of largest room for your upgrade.

I get that upgrades aren't always in the offer. However, nowhere on their web site are rooms with this shabby of a view described. I had options and would have picked Grosvenor or something else at the same redemption level (or less). I just want to see outside. In addition, if you are going to upgrade me prior to check-in, don't downgrade me just because your housekeeping is slow. I actually was trying to switch to Grosvenor House but it took them so long to tell me no that one of the nights became unavailable after 4PM (presumably outside of Platinum guarantee window), which is unfortunate because I really wanted to switch.

A few other issues: one elevator is perpetually broken so long lines at the lifts, the guest book says international outlets in each room but none in my "upgraded" room and no room service menu so when I called, she tried to recite the menu and when they finally delivered my WAY over-cooked fishy tasting burger (and I'm not a picky eater) they didn't think to include a menu so I wouldn't have to guess again. It's nice to have a good soft product, but the hard product here is failing in many ways. Had I known a room with this view was an option, I never would have picked it. Look at like Harbor Beach -- they have room types that explicitly say "No View". This place needs to disclose that the airshaft view is going to be your "upgrade".

On the upside, the Prosecco in the club lounge is delightful.

I'm an easy to please hotel guy. My Trip Advisor is littered with effusive and positive reviews. Not for this place.
Attached Images     
Old Jun 27, 2017, 6:07 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Seeing as the hotel is in Mayfair, I guess if you can see a hint of daylight, it's a Mayfair view. In your case, you have a lovely view of a Mayfair wall.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 6:20 am

Marvellous, we are booked on points for middle of July for 5 nights. That is not too encouraging!
Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by bergamini
At check-in, the room wasn't ready. Rather than offer me to wait for it, she moved me to another "Superior" room. There's nothing superior about it. It has the worst view of any hotel room I've ever had. Ever. My window is 4-6' directly across the air shaft from another guest's room, there is no natural light and the air shaft is littered with debris. There are also noises coming from it.
Go back downstairs and ask for the front desk manager and ask to be moved.

David
Old Jun 27, 2017, 11:49 am

I got a call from the front desk (without my prodding) this morning and was advised that I was being moved. The bellmen did all the moving fortunately. The new room is 1/2 the size and does not have a bathtub (shower only). It's also close to the elevators. But, it does have gobs of natural sunlight and an ever so slight park view. Thus, I could not be happier. I want a comfortable bed and natural light. I've now got it. My reviews will reflect their downgrade fiasco and arguing with me that an air shaft was an upgraded view. Natural daylight is just so wonderful.
Attached Images  
Old Jun 27, 2017, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
Originally Posted by bergamini
I got a call from the front desk (without my prodding) this morning and was advised that I was being moved. The bellmen did all the moving fortunately. The new room is 1/2 the size and does not have a bathtub (shower only). It's also close to the elevators. But, it does have gobs of natural sunlight and an ever so slight park view. Thus, I could not be happier. I want a comfortable bed and natural light. I've now got it. My reviews will reflect their downgrade fiasco and arguing with me that an air shaft was an upgraded view. Natural daylight is just so wonderful.
I've had uneven and dismissive staff experiences in this property the last 3 of 4 stays. No room complaints, and the pool/spa is a plus.

But I'll start with your earlier statement which is aligned with my experiences...
In addition, if you are going to upgrade me prior to check-in, don't downgrade me just because your housekeeping is slow.
......except I wasn't even looking for an upgrade, just a check-in less than an hour early on 3 occasions.

Small property, little room to work if you want to switch rooms (I didn't) but absolutely no staff initiative in getting an LTP in under an hour early - when rooms were clear but not yet scheduled to be serviced. And any room would have been suitable. On one occasion I wasn't able to check in until 45 minutes after the scheduled time. I asked for an received compensation. I've never been given an interior view room, so there's that.

GH has always accommodated an early check-in (again I wasn't particular re: the view but at least 1/2 the time I've had a good one).

A view is part of the overall setup grade. Maybe a requirement, maybe not. PL has a tiny, tiny lobby & small lounge which means natural light in your room balances that out. So I would make that view and light a big factor. I see your concern over a view and staff indifference if I were there for a long stay.

And in the PL, unlike the GH, the lounge faces the park. That's a plus. Except you are at ground level with the foot traffic. Nothing to see.

You can't see anything from inside the GH lounge either but it's huge. And if its a factor the food/alcohol selection is better. A minute walk and you are outside on a quiet street off Audley or on Park Lane. The GH entrance facing PL has a decent setback from the sidewalk.

In my experience - in Mayfair properties, I'll opt for the GH or GS.

Last edited by AATrout; Jun 27, 2017 at 2:13 pm
Old Jun 27, 2017, 4:48 pm

Maybe I'm having a brainfart, but I don't remember the CL at Park Lane having any windows. The door looks out on the "old" front door that unfortunately is locked up. But I don't remember any windows in the lounge itself.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 2:43 am

Originally Posted by catocony
Maybe I'm having a brainfart, but I don't remember the CL at Park Lane having any windows. The door looks out on the "old" front door that unfortunately is locked up. But I don't remember any windows in the lounge itself.
There are kind of 2 rooms to the lounge. The side room off to the left as you enter has a few windows on Park Lane, not much but a few. The main room has no windows.

Originally Posted by AATrout
......except I wasn't even looking for an upgrade, just a check-in less than an hour early on 3 occasions.

I wasn't even checking in early -- it was almost 16:00! And yes, next time GH or GS for me.

Of all ironies, some control board or some such broke in my 2nd room so I had to move to a 3rd room which has even less of a Mayfair view BUT wall to wall windows looking out on a side street. It's the smallest of the three rooms I've had but I love it the most. I was highly annoyed at having to move, and resisted at first, but the room was getting stifling without any air circulation so I accepted their recommendation to move since they couldn't commit to it being repaired the next day either.

The lounge is quite good for food and beverages, IMHO, and they replenish everything so quickly. The Espresso machine makes delicious drinks. But it is definitely cramped. The best part about the lounge is the Fantinel Extra Dry Prosecco which is quite delicious. I normally find Prosecco too sweet for my brutish tastes, but this is quite delicious.

Pic is of 3rd room.
Attached Images  
Old Jun 28, 2017, 4:34 am

For those contemplating a stay here, stay away from the odd-numbered rooms. They all face the air shaft. The even number rooms face outwards, as you can see from this floor plan. The block of rooms going right to left of 238 to 254 will have the absolute best park views, then they will decrease as you go outside and away from it. But 220-236 will have at least a glimpse of the park. The same should hold true for floors 3 & 4 and most likely 1, but it doesn't have the full compliment of rooms so it's slightly different.

Bottom line, avoid an odd # room (unless it ends with 55) and don't leave reception if you see that you are assigned one
Attached Images  
Old Jun 28, 2017, 6:10 am

As far as a Mayfair view, that would be the street view I believe. If you're facing Hyde Park, I guess that would be a park view, which is what I had when I stayed there.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 11:01 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Stayed here for 1 night and it is a really nice property to be in. The renovations in 2015 were really well done and the colors are very nice.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
Originally Posted by catocony
As far as a Mayfair view, that would be the street view I believe. If you're facing Hyde Park, I guess that would be a park view, which is what I had when I stayed there.
Yes, looks like OP is right over the ‘new’ main entrance. I’ve had that view twice, looking south. I think the park view is overrated, at least this far up Park Lane near its terminus. When the trees are leaved, even in a top floor the park view is nice but half of it's the traffic.

Nonetheless PL does a nice job sound deadening all rooms Ive been in.

But the Mayfair View as we are calling it is pretty nice. Short street, not tons of traffic and if you wait long enough you can see and appreciate the regimented (in a positive way) the way UK and London manages the historic districts. Rules everywhere, and they are followed. The sheathing was being applied to the building on the right during my last stay. I'm a civil engineer and am always very interested in how cities manage their streets, ensure that construction has minimal impact on the contiguous properties (and the streets). Nice to grab a coffee and go back up to the room and watch early morning activity on a street like this.

This is such a contrast to the construction free-for-all in the USA. At least in DC.For example - there are several redevelopment projects along the SE waterfront. They have crap all over the place, block lanes for months with jersey walls for no reason, and it generally is a PITA to have to get past that. These developers would never get that in central London.

Long rant, park view is great. I like to see streets a block or two off a place like Park Lane particularly in the AM to see the locals on foot or walking hounds, watch the construction if thats underway, and maybe walk down and even chat up the crews on occasion. Its fun and they are always nice and friendly.
unclepants likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by Trevfour
Marvellous, we are booked on points for middle of July for 5 nights. That is not too encouraging!
Are you gold or platinum member? If so, did you get a free upgrade on your room which was booked on points?

Does anyone here have the email to contact this hotel? We are a family of 2 adults and one 1 year old and one 3 year old and it looks like I have to pay 500GPB per night if I use my points to stay at this hotel because we have 4 ppl? I just wanna ask if we can add the baby on the crib in each room IF we book two rooms and if each room has 2 adult + 1 baby without having to pay the steep fee.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 7:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by musicscrip
Does anyone here have the email to contact this hotel? We are a family of 2 adults and one 1 year old and one 3 year old and it looks like I have to pay 500GPB per night if I use my points to stay at this hotel because we have 4 ppl? I just wanna ask if we can add the baby on the crib in each room IF we book two rooms and if each room has 2 adult + 1 baby without having to pay the steep fee.
Skype call the property. Sounds like you need a room w/ 2 doubles & add a crib. I seriously doubt you'd get hit w/ a 500GBP charge.

Cheers.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 9:33 am

Age of GH/GS

Originally Posted by AATrout
That surprises me because both GS and GH are old. That is what is keeping me away. The rooms look old fashioned and they haven't been remodeled since 2008. Maybe that just shows you how the Park Lane isn't anything great.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.