Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Old Apr 10, 2008, 6:24 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
Help me decide! The Atlantic, Diplomat or St Regis Ft. Lauderdale

Going to Florida for Christmas week, 2008. Just the two of us. Lots of friends in the area but we preferred using points (and last run with Platinum status!) and having more of a resort experience.

Couldn't find a post comparing the two hotels. We are currently booked into the St. Regis at 20,000 per night but the last review I read had some significant downsides. The Atlantic is only 12,000 - I can guarantee a suite for 24,000.

Is there a consensus about which hotel is a better experience? The reputed small pool and no dedicated beach or beach chairs at the St. Regis is problematic. In addition, my wife has had a number of Basal Cell carninomas so does one have more shade available at either the pool or beach?

Appreciate any insights out there. Many thanks.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 7:12 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stevens397
Couldn't find a post comparing the two hotels.
i would still ask your questions in an applicable thread. there are scads of threads out there which discuss these properties in detail.

i know that i wrote a pretty detailed post on my recent stay at the st. regis. (was that the post you reference? i know i listed some "significant downsides.") why not post your questions about the st. regis in that thread and then also mention that you are considering the Atlantic?

if you choose my method, you will make research for future posters much easier. if not, we will have a bunch of one-off threads on these properties which will make future research more laborious.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 12:14 pm

My office is in FLL.

Personally, I love the Atlantic, it is small and boutique-y, lovely people who treat you very well.

Nothing against the ST-R, but the Atlantic is better in my book. I am there once a month.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 2:17 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
Thanks, SanDiego.

After rereading the threads you provided the links for, I guess I should add the Diplomat to the mix?

From what I'm reading, the St. Regis is lovely but has some things missing for a true resort experience. On the other side, it seems if we choose the Diplomat, I can save my points and not use them to pay for a suite; it seems likely I would get one due to status. Still not sure how that would play out at the Atlantic.

Again, I appreciate the help.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA, US, DL, UA, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver
I just stayed at the Westin Diplomat this weekend ($130 on priceline). This is my fourth stay and I really do love the hotel. The pool is great. There are two pools but three areas and many shaded areas to escape the sun. There is also a really nice beach and you can rent loungers and umbrella's.

The key complaint has been that they nickel and dime you (charging for chairs and such on the beach) and not inexpensive for drinks by the pool (avg $13-$14 each). But the rooms are in great shape and most have the Heavenly Beds. Even though I booked priceline, I had no problem asking for and getting an ocean view balcony on the 30th floor. Food choices are ok and there are limited restaurants, but not a bad ride to Las Olas or Miami if you have a car.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 3:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by stevens397

On the other side, it seems if we choose the Diplomat, I can save my points and not use them to pay for a suite; it seems likely I would get one due to status. Still not sure how that would play out at the Atlantic.

Again, I appreciate the help.
I can assure you the only way you will find yourself in a Suite Xmas week in Florida is if you ante up the $$$$ for it. The Diplomat has a problem every year as it has more requests from people willing to pay whatever the price is for the Suite then amount of suites. You wont get a suite at The Dip based on your status or by using pts for the upgrade.

I dont know about The St R or Atlantic but Id imagine it will be the same. Could be Fargo,North Dakota will be a slam dunk, but FL or CUN or Cabo get the drift I highly doubt a suite would be mine unless I coughed up the Big $$$$ they are asking for it and do get.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 8:28 pm
Suspended

The W Fort Lauderdale Beach is due to open in October ( which I kind of doubt haven recently seen the property) but I think it will be ready by Xmas.

mike
Old Apr 10, 2008, 9:13 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, spg, Delta skymiles, marriott rewards
Consider Le Meridian Sunny Isles. Not really a resort, but the suites are awesome. Fantastic kitchen, great balconies overlooking the beach. We had a blast going to the multi-cultural grocery store across the street and coming back and cooking great new meals in the kitchen! Also the pool is shady from 12 noon on.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 5:32 am

Originally Posted by ladiflier
I just stayed at the Westin Diplomat this weekend ...

The key complaint has been that they nickel and dime you (charging for chairs and such on the beach) and not inexpensive for drinks by the pool (avg $13-$14 each).
We stayed at the Dip recently and what we can only term as price gouging was our primary complaint. In other threads FT'ers have reported $7 bottled waters, in our case the real eye opener was them having the nerve to charge $140 for a bottle of Bailey's Irish Cream to be delivered to the room (cost in a liquor store is about $20, sometimes less). We loved our corner suite room and plan on staying there again, however next time we will not spend one dime on in-house food/drink.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 6:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by yanxfann
in our case the real eye opener was them having the nerve to charge $140 for a bottle of Bailey's Irish Cream to be delivered to the room (cost in a liquor store is about $20, sometimes less).
When comparing the price to the price at your local liquor store the price does indeed seem crazy.......... but have you looked at the pricing of the liquor offerings on ANY room service menu recently? Prices for bottles of wine are out of this world at most hotels.

I agree that being nickeled and dimed to death is a problem but virtually any hotel you stay in today upcharges things and it seems to be a general problem that doesn't seem specific to this property. I remember staying at the Loews Miami Beach approx. 10 years ago and being charged $8 for a small bottle of Evian. Problem is when you have a "captive" audience you can charge what you want and people usually are willing to pay it since they are on a trip/vacation and believe that its a splurge that they don't do every day.

Thanks to stevens397 for starting this thread. I too have been trying to decide between the St. Regis and the Atlantic for a December trip. Right now I have the Atlantic booked on points but I too had considered slurging on the St. Regis if it was much better.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 7:15 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelingtireman
Also the pool is shady from 12 noon on.

whoever builds these properties isn't using their head. isn't a main reason people go to florida and stay at a hotel is to get sun at the pool?

clearly, i am not a hotel developer. but, i do like to think i have at least a minimum level of common sense.

question thrown out there: why would a hotel developer build a property so that the pool is completely shady after noon?
Old Oct 25, 2008, 3:12 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, LH Senator, UA Premier Executive, RG Diamante
Any idea about the actual parking fees at the Westin Diplomat and at the Atlantic ?
Old Oct 29, 2008, 4:39 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, United Premierl Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Westin Diplomat as of yesterday

$18 self park
$22 valet

Well worth the $4 for Valet
Old Jan 19, 2009, 11:37 am

Sheraton Yankee Clipper vs. Westin Beach Resort Ft. Lauderdale

Hi all,

I'm hoping I can get a little advice. My husband, daughters (12 & 9) and I will be in Ft. Lauderdale for one night on the 4th of July. I booked a night at the Sheraton Yankee Clipper on points as it's on the beach and looked like it might be close to 4th of July happenings.

However, the consistently awful reviews have me wondering if I should go with the new Westin Beach Resort (formerly the Sheraton Yankee Trader) instead? Will the Westin be close enough to the activities on the beach to walk to? It didn't seem to me that the two hotels are that far apart.

We're not overly picky as it will only be for one night; on the other hand, I don't mind using a few thousand more points to get something significantly better as long as we can still walk to fireworks, etc.

Thanks!

Glorian
Old Jan 19, 2009, 1:28 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
Well since the Westin has not opened yet, really cannot be the judge of it yet. But from the Concept Art, I would go ahead and book the Westin over the Yankee.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.