Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Old Feb 11, 2007, 5:48 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
I had a suite at Sheraton Bal Harbor and was NOT impressed at all with the property. In fact, I found the staff to be rude, the housekeeping lax, and the pool area dirty. In addition, the photo of the blue cabana-like things on the beach are misleading. If you want to go to the beach, you walk a good 10 minutes from the pool area and find that you either sit on your towel (on a very rocky beach) or PAY for a lounge chair! The pool was filled with people and lucky me, I sat next to a chain-smoker who didn't care that I had to use my inhaler and was choking on his smoke. So I had to leave or risk an attack.

Sheraton Bal Harbour was old and IMO, they didn't live up to their info on the SPG page. I would go with one of the Westins if I were going back.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 2:07 pm

Programs: S.E, Preferred Select, SPG Platinum
Which Fort Lauderdale/Miami area properties?

We will be flying in to FLL for the may long weekend and wanted to get some thoughts on a few of the Fort Lauderdale/Miami area properties I have listed below.

I would prefer a property with beachfront access (definite must) and a club lounge if possible (not necessairly a must).

Sheraton Bal Harbor
Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa
Sheraton Yankee Clipper or Yankee Trader (which one is better)
The Atlantic

We're really looking at spending the weekend relaxing on the beach and pool areas. In the evenings we are looking to have access to some nice dining and decent nightlife.

Any advice from the above selections would be great.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 2:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 1st Class Gekko
We will be flying in to FLL for the may long weekend and wanted to get some thoughts on a few of the Fort Lauderdale/Miami area properties I have listed below.

I would prefer a property with beachfront access (definite must) and a club lounge if possible (not necessairly a must).

Sheraton Bal Harbor
Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa
Sheraton Yankee Clipper or Yankee Trader (which one is better)
The Atlantic

We're really looking at spending the weekend relaxing on the beach and pool areas. In the evenings we are looking to have access to some nice dining and decent nightlife.

Any advice from the above selections would be great.
the Trader and Clipper are known to be dumps and not on the beach itself.

The only 2 that are on the beach itself and not across the road from it are The Diplomat and Bal Harbour. between the 2 I like the Dip better especially since the BH is closing up and being torn down at the end of June. problem is BH is closer to places to eat while the Dip only offers whats in the Hotel or the Mall across the street. Not much by the Dip by the place is Huge.

the Atlantic is across from the beach, its a mixed prop hotel and condos, havent stayed there but its not far from Los Alos which is a hip street in FtL.

The Dip has a Huge and great Lounge dont know about the others. Seems that teh Dip can satisfy most of what You are looking for.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 2:29 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Probably the Diplomat best meets your requirements. I prefer the Atlantic. Lots of past discussion on FT, which you can easily find with a search, if you want more detail. The Atlantic has a great restaurant and spa, and is very expensive (the condos sell for millions).
Old Jul 16, 2007, 6:34 pm

Programs: Starwood Preferred
Suggestions for Fort Lauderdale Florida?

Have a three day stay coming up in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Any suggestions?
Old Jul 16, 2007, 6:51 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
Everyone is going to say Westin Diplomat......
Old Jul 16, 2007, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA 1P; SPG Plat;
Originally Posted by egg500
Have a three day stay coming up in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Any suggestions?
Just scroll back through this thread!
Old Sep 20, 2007, 3:38 pm

Programs: AC:Elite, *wood:Platinum, Hilton:Gold
Hi I am staying at the Atlantic Next Month. Anyone have feedback? I tried to book at the Dip, but the price was too high.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 3:54 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

any updates on the airport Sheraton? the most recent post (that i could see, maybe i missed an update) was from 2005 (post 46?).

thanks.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 7:14 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fly co to see the yanks
any updates on the airport Sheraton? the most recent post (that i could see, maybe i missed an update) was from 2005 (post 46?).

thanks.
bump.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 12:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by fly co to see the yanks
bump.
stayed there a couple of yrs ago, a typical Airport Hotel, dont know about today back then it was $7 to park. Nothing around the immediate area except the Hilton across the road from it.

its right off the 95

I prefer The Shearton Suites in Plantation, which has free parking and is attached to a Mall. Its further away , driving time depends on the time of the day and what day it is.

however will probably stay 1 night when in town in Feb at Sheraton Mart-MIA C&P is 2800 & $45 make that 2300 pts as a Plat I get 500 pts as my gift

A number of dates The Diplomat is also taking C&P 4800 & $90 I think it was. I would have gone there but with a late check-in and a 2pm flight, I just wont get my Pts or $$ worth

No car then Id go with the Airport. BTW The airport is alot better then either of the following by a long shot; Yankee Trader or Clipper, Westin Ft.Lau, Sheraton Suites Cypress Creek
Old Jan 31, 2008, 8:34 am

Westin Diplomat Resort & Spa

Just back from 4 days at the Westin Diplomat Resort booked with StarPoints. This is a really well-run hotel. We had a corner suite on the 33rd floor (club level) with views on 3 sides of the building. We were traveling with my 2.5 yr old daughter, and put a rollaway bed in the living room next to a window for her -- she loved gazing out the window at night.
From the moment we entered the building upon arriving, to when we got in our car to leave, we were treated extremely well. The staff is incredibly friendly and helpful. The club lounge attendant kept on producing treats and surprises for our daughter whenever we came in.
The building itself is beautiful, and very well kept. The pool area consists of two pools, one built over the other. The upper pool has a large "window" on the bottom, so you can see into the upper pool from the lower pool... very cool. There are also two waterfalls coming from the upper pool into the lower pool.
The club lounge is very large, and has two large balconies, one overlooking the ocean and the other the city. A nice continental breakfast spread consisted of pastries, bagels, yogurt, fruit, ham, turkey, cereals, etc. Fresh squeezed orange and grapefruit juices were also available. Snacks were available throughout the day, hors d'oeuvres after 5, then a nice pastry display at 8PM.
All in all, we had a wonderful time... definitely one of the best Starwood experiences so far.

Pictures:
Building Exterior
View from Club Lounge
Upper Pool
Old Jan 31, 2008, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Globalist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Platinum
Originally Posted by cranrob
Just back from 4 days at the Westin Diplomat Resort booked with StarPoints. This is a really well-run hotel. We had a corner suite on the 33rd floor (club level) with views on 3 sides of the building. We were traveling with my 2.5 yr old daughter, and put a rollaway bed in the living room next to a window for her -- she loved gazing out the window at night.
From the moment we entered the building upon arriving, to when we got in our car to leave, we were treated extremely well. The staff is incredibly friendly and helpful. The club lounge attendant kept on producing treats and surprises for our daughter whenever we came in.
The building itself is beautiful, and very well kept. The pool area consists of two pools, one built over the other. The upper pool has a large "window" on the bottom, so you can see into the upper pool from the lower pool... very cool. There are also two waterfalls coming from the upper pool into the lower pool.
The club lounge is very large, and has two large balconies, one overlooking the ocean and the other the city. A nice continental breakfast spread consisted of pastries, bagels, yogurt, fruit, ham, turkey, cereals, etc. Fresh squeezed orange and grapefruit juices were also available. Snacks were available throughout the day, hors d'oeuvres after 5, then a nice pastry display at 8PM.
All in all, we had a wonderful time... definitely one of the best Starwood experiences so far.

Pictures:
Building Exterior
View from Club Lounge
Upper Pool

Thanks for the great review...My wife and I are headed down here in a few weeks with our 18 month and 3 year old boys...your report is very encouraging!
Would you mind answering a few specific questions?
-do they have a zero entry pool...our kids love those things!
-do they have umbrellas and beach chairs available? do they charge for them, or are they free...and was it a zoo to get them?
-is there a beach restaurant, or kid friendly restaurant on site?
-Did the suite have a kitchenette?
-Did you use points to upgrade or was that given for being diamond...
Thanks again for your report and pictures!
Old Jan 31, 2008, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by bsdstone
Thanks for the great review...My wife and I are headed down here in a few weeks with our 18 month and 3 year old boys...your report is very encouraging!
-do they have umbrellas and beach chairs available? do they charge for them, or are they free...and was it a zoo to get them?
-Not sure what you mean by "zero entry", but the upper pool has a big 6-inch deep area that leads to steps down to a deeper area.
-Umbrellas and beach chairs by the pool are free. There are also cabanas available for a fee. On the beach, they have umbrellas, chairs, beds, and cabanas, all for a fee. There is also a "Westin Kids Club" area on the beach, which is stocked with pails, shovels, kid-sized chairs, etc. All free. There was plenty of space... no zoo scene at all.
-There is a bar/restaurant "Splash" in the pool area, immediately adjacent to the beach. There are several other restaurants onsite, however we didn't eat in them. There are fun places to eat on the "broadwalk" (brick boardwalk) about a mile north of the resort, and some really good places in town. PM me for some recommendations (I did alot of research).
-No kitchenette
-I booked the "Suite Upgrade" award to guarantee a suite, but I'm not completely sure we had to. It was worth the extra points to us to guarantee it, though.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 9:49 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by bsdstone
I'd like to suggest reading the thread below, it is quite informative. It might answer some of your questions and will definitely provide more information about this property, not found in this comparison thread.

Westin Diplomat, Hollywood (Ft. Lauderdale), Florida [Master Thread]

I hope that helps.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.