Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Old Aug 26, 2022, 5:08 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Platinum,Marriott Silver,Hilton Honors Gold
Been going over to Fort Lauderdale beach for over 60 years (from my nearby home in Naples) and bring my grandchildren there regularly to this day. So here is my 2 cents! Forgive the phrase, but you are dealing with a lot of old ladies there. The common thread amongst all of them is that the rooms are relatively tiny. That said, here is my take on each one:

1. Westin Beach - Nothing to write home about. So very "60's" from when it was built even with all its rebuilds/renovations.
2. AC - Certainly very new (6 months old) and the rooms/bathrooms are very contemporary and quite nice. The problem is that the pool deck and pool are extremely tiny. I would normally say this is the place to go but with kids and no doubt their likely to be spending a lot of time at the pool the AC will not work.
3. W - Not kid friendly and unless you are at 6% bodyfat, six pack abs and the tat's to sport, you will not be comfortable here.
4. Cadillac - likely too art deco atmosphere the kids will not enjoy
5. Courtyard FLL beach - Great location but again a tiny pool and very limited deck seating space
6. Marriott Harbor Beach - If it were me this is where I would go. This property having been built in the 1980's, the smack on the sand location makes it feel like a real resort you might find on a Caribbean Island. About 1/2 mile further south from the "main drag" on Fort Lauderdale beach you are not missing anything. The pool while still in its '80s rock/grotto motif is huge and the kids will have a blast. The beach is just feet away. There is a kids program to boot. At the time you are going most afternoons as many as 9 cruise ships will be sailing out of Port Everglades 1/2 mile south and the visual from Harbor beach of those ships so close the kids as well as adults will enjoy. Size of rooms/bathrooms not all that great here but if I had to go to a MC branded property with kids this is where I would go.

All that said, if brand loyalty was not an issue and just paying the nightly rate you might want to consider:

1. Fort Lauderdale Beach Hilton- All suite property, their "beach house" accommodations are double to triple the size of hotel rooms elsewhere in town. Just had beachfront 1 bedroom suite with 2 full bathrooms over July 4th. The staff is nasty but you cannot beat the accommodations.
2. Lago Mar - A real Ft. Lauderdale old lady as well that does need refurbishment. That said, the suites are a really generous size, the food and beverage operation is great, and another smack on the sand location that is even closer (short walk to the jetty at Port Everglades) where you can take the kids for a really exciting experience. The pool/deck area makes you feel like you are at a resort in Jamaica/Barbados/Grenada!

Hope that all helps!
Hawwk likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 7:32 am

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by WGretzky
Hello - looking for advice on which hotel to stay at in Fort Lauderdale Beach with 2 young kids (8yrs and 4yrs).

Note that We are planning on travelling during peak time (just after Christmas) so would like to use my points instead of paying $. Therefore the options are limited.

My top 2 options are westin beach resort (160k points for 5 nights) or Marriott harbour (277K for 5 nights) but its quite the difference! Is it worth burning the extra 117K points on the Marriott? I dont mind if it really is.

Been hearing mixed things about the westin but recent reviews seem to be good. By staying at westin are we walkable to kid friendly restaurants? Safe?

Options 5 nights

Westin beach resort - 160K points vs $600USD
Marriott harbour - 277k points vs $800/night
Courtyard beach - 160k points vs $455/night
AC hotel - 120k points ve $735/night
W hotel - 280K points vs $725/night
Cadillac Miami - 240K points

Thx for the input!
Ive stayed at both the Westin and Marriott Harbour in the past. I had the same points decision to make last Christmas and chose the Westin. The beach is not as nice but it was still fine. The pool area is not as resort style but again is still a nice area. There are plenty of restaurants that are walking distance from the Westin. I found it to be a longer walk/Uber from the Marriott.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by worldspan
Been going over to Fort Lauderdale beach for over 60 years (from my nearby home in Naples) and bring my grandchildren there regularly to this day. So here is my 2 cents! Forgive the phrase, but you are dealing with a lot of old ladies there. The common thread amongst all of them is that the rooms are relatively tiny. That said, here is my take on each one:

1. Westin Beach - Nothing to write home about. So very "60's" from when it was built even with all its rebuilds/renovations.
2. AC - Certainly very new (6 months old) and the rooms/bathrooms are very contemporary and quite nice. The problem is that the pool deck and pool are extremely tiny. I would normally say this is the place to go but with kids and no doubt their likely to be spending a lot of time at the pool the AC will not work.
3. W - Not kid friendly and unless you are at 6% bodyfat, six pack abs and the tat's to sport, you will not be comfortable here.
4. Cadillac - likely too art deco atmosphere the kids will not enjoy
5. Courtyard FLL beach - Great location but again a tiny pool and very limited deck seating space
6. Marriott Harbor Beach - If it were me this is where I would go. This property having been built in the 1980's, the smack on the sand location makes it feel like a real resort you might find on a Caribbean Island. About 1/2 mile further south from the "main drag" on Fort Lauderdale beach you are not missing anything. The pool while still in its '80s rock/grotto motif is huge and the kids will have a blast. The beach is just feet away. There is a kids program to boot. At the time you are going most afternoons as many as 9 cruise ships will be sailing out of Port Everglades 1/2 mile south and the visual from Harbor beach of those ships so close the kids as well as adults will enjoy. Size of rooms/bathrooms not all that great here but if I had to go to a MC branded property with kids this is where I would go.

All that said, if brand loyalty was not an issue and just paying the nightly rate you might want to consider:

1. Fort Lauderdale Beach Hilton- All suite property, their "beach house" accommodations are double to triple the size of hotel rooms elsewhere in town. Just had beachfront 1 bedroom suite with 2 full bathrooms over July 4th. The staff is nasty but you cannot beat the accommodations.
2. Lago Mar - A real Ft. Lauderdale old lady as well that does need refurbishment. That said, the suites are a really generous size, the food and beverage operation is great, and another smack on the sand location that is even closer (short walk to the jetty at Port Everglades) where you can take the kids for a really exciting experience. The pool/deck area makes you feel like you are at a resort in Jamaica/Barbados/Grenada!

Hope that all helps!
that helps a lot thanks!

do you think the Marriott justifies the 117k over the westin for the stay?
Old Aug 29, 2022, 5:27 am

Programs: AA, Delta, Marriott, IHG
that helps a lot thanks!

do you think the Marriott justifies the 117k over the westin for the stay?
I agree with the above assessment of the options. I have, or friends have, stayed at all but the Westin, which long ago was a Sheraton. The courtyard has been through a couple different brand, it was a Days Inn at one point. Over the last couple years, through the recent unpleasantness even, weve stayed 4 times at the Marriott and once each at the RC and W, over New Years, 20-21, friends stayed at the courtyard while we were at the Marriott (there a short walk apart) because she saving points staying there over the Marriott. She regretted the choice, not that the courtyard was bad it was the beach resort thing. Her husband though preferred being very close to off property beach bars. The Westin is similar though the Courtyard is closer to the beach bar/beach shops area.

The really big difference with all of them is the Marriott is actually on the sand and as such has full resort beach service that none of the other can since theyre on a public beach. They have chairs, towels and water and thats about it. Plus theres the crossing the rather busy road.

The Marriott is the only one thats like staying at a beach resort but, they actually have a beach club with yearly rental cabanas. All the beach water toys are available also.

To the south on the sand is pretty much smaller low rise condos and the very old school Lago Mar resort (its the type of place that people go the same weeks every year with their kids/grandkids and started when their grandparents took them). On the beach north of the Marriott are a couple high rise condos and two hotels, then a big public beach parking area. the Courtyard is at the other end of thar parking lot. The Marriott really seems like it has a private beach. It also has a pretty nice gym if that matters.

the breakfast at the Marriott is easily the best of the bunch.

the beach area the Westin is located, pretty much the same as W which is one block north and the Hilton which is beside the W. Its quiet with a number of smaller hotels that are off the beach as primarily the other users.

The restaurants and beach stores are a few blocks south of the Westin but really they arent that much closer than the Marriott is to them.

To me being on the beach in well worth the difference in points. Its the difference between being at a beach resort and the Westin is a hotel located at the beach.
WGretzky likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by Ripley62
I agree with the above assessment of the options. I have, or friends have, stayed at all but the Westin, which long ago was a Sheraton. The courtyard has been through a couple different brand, it was a Days Inn at one point. Over the last couple years, through the recent unpleasantness even, weve stayed 4 times at the Marriott and once each at the RC and W, over New Years, 20-21, friends stayed at the courtyard while we were at the Marriott (there a short walk apart) because she saving points staying there over the Marriott. She regretted the choice, not that the courtyard was bad it was the beach resort thing. Her husband though preferred being very close to off property beach bars. The Westin is similar though the Courtyard is closer to the beach bar/beach shops area.

The really big difference with all of them is the Marriott is actually on the sand and as such has full resort beach service that none of the other can since theyre on a public beach. They have chairs, towels and water and thats about it. Plus theres the crossing the rather busy road.

The Marriott is the only one thats like staying at a beach resort but, they actually have a beach club with yearly rental cabanas. All the beach water toys are available also.

To the south on the sand is pretty much smaller low rise condos and the very old school Lago Mar resort (its the type of place that people go the same weeks every year with their kids/grandkids and started when their grandparents took them). On the beach north of the Marriott are a couple high rise condos and two hotels, then a big public beach parking area. the Courtyard is at the other end of thar parking lot. The Marriott really seems like it has a private beach. It also has a pretty nice gym if that matters.

the breakfast at the Marriott is easily the best of the bunch.

the beach area the Westin is located, pretty much the same as W which is one block north and the Hilton which is beside the W. Its quiet with a number of smaller hotels that are off the beach as primarily the other users.

The restaurants and beach stores are a few blocks south of the Westin but really they arent that much closer than the Marriott is to them.

To me being on the beach in well worth the difference in points. Its the difference between being at a beach resort and the Westin is a hotel located at the beach.
thank you again for the detailed response!
Old Aug 29, 2022, 10:11 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
thank you again for the detailed response!
I'm not sure how much of a beach person you are, but I would think long and hard about what you could get for 117K points - that could be a whole other vacation itself. There is a skywalk that connects the Westin to the beach, so no street crossing is actually required. At least, to me, I would absolutely choose to save the 117K points for another trip.
Old Jun 6, 2024, 11:01 am

Fort Lauderdale Marriott North

For people that dont need to stay on the beach, about 20 minutes north of Fort Lauderdale is Fort Lauderdale Marriott North hotel.

Sure, its dated and in an industrial/strip mall/highway location, however, the staff is great, parking is free, plus breakfast and dinner with beer or wine in lounge are included with platinum status and above. Plus, it can booked for very little per night. Ive personally booked several $115 with taxes nights. And dinner can be awesome! See pix of crab leg dinner, which followed a steak dinner night. Kinda a hidden gem, if it works for you.

Unlimited crab legs - delicious!

Old Jun 6, 2024, 5:58 pm

..when you say beer and wine, do you actually mean complimentary beer and wine for Platinum and up in their lounge? If so, I am shocked. I actually did not know anything like that existed in Canada or USA.
I also just looked this hotel up and of course I understand mixed reviews from different folks but there seems to be a common denominator of lack of cleanliness in this hotel. Some reviews, pictures and comments that would tell me not to stay here?

Last edited by Bravada04; Jun 6, 2024 at 6:03 pm
Old Jun 6, 2024, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by Bravada04
..when you say beer and wine, do you actually mean complimentary beer and wine for Platinum and up in their lounge? If so, I am shocked. I actually did not know anything like that existed in Canada or USA.
I also just looked this hotel up and of course I understand mixed reviews from different folks but there seems to be a common denominator of lack of cleanliness in this hotel. Some reviews, pictures and comments that would tell me not to stay here?
Yes, complimentary beer and wine, see picture. And its served to you by a uniformed Marriott employee that is stationed in the lounge during meal hours. Nutz! Pretty sure you can take an entire family into the lounge with you. Its like going back in time.

It was very clean. Just run-down/older. Truly no different than the Westin next door. Other than the huge, newer pool, the Westin offers much less for Bonvoy members (only free breakfast). I prefer the Marriott.

I do have a room picture, see below, on a Bonvoy status floor. Called Concierge Level, which is an auto-upgrade for Platinum and above.

Again, all for as little as $115/night. Dont forget the 1000 point welcome gift, too. Could be one of the best Marriott deals in the U.S.

The prior threads for Fort Lauderdale Marriott North are all closed. Perhaps its time for a new master thread for this hotel?!

(P.S. They also offered me a free three-day Planet Fitness pass, which is located across the street.)

More lounge info, handed to guests at check-in. Nice.

Complimentary beer and wine, served to you.

Nice breakfast spread, too. All complimentary.

Nice big/clean room on high floor.
rylan and Bravada04 like this.

Last edited by FreeNight; Jun 7, 2024 at 4:53 am
Old Jun 7, 2024, 6:22 am

Any idea if the Club Lounge at this Marriott North on weekends ?
Old Jun 7, 2024, 6:37 am

As indicated on flyer posted above:

Concierge Lounge: Available only for Ambassador, Titanium and Platinum Marriott Elite Members.

Please inquire with the Front Desk to upgrade to the Concierge Level for a Fee.

Breakfast food service: Monday-Friday from 6:30am-9:30am.

Dinner food service: Sunday-Thursday 5:30pm-7:30pm.

Open Sunday-Friday. Closed Friday starting at noon and all-day Saturday.

Re-opens Sunday at 4:30pm.

(Plus, snacks and drinks seem to be there 24/7.)
Old Jun 21, 2024, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can someone explain why marriott.com and the Marriott app insist the Aloft Fort Lauderdale is sold out for the entire month of November? Or why prices are so expensive at all FLL hotels the night of Nov 8? I just booked the Four Points for an eye watering $300/night. What is going on?
Old Jun 21, 2024, 12:31 pm

Can't address the Aloft Situation but I can address the high rate at the Four Points and most other hotel's that weekend. Teacher's convention in New Jersey and other states in the Northeast. No, those conventions are not held in Fort Lauderdale but the the point to be made is every Tom, Dick and Harry with children on vacation for those four days (Thursday-Sunday) travels to Florida for a quick vacation before the holidays and peak season rates set in. Combined with Friday night being the most expensive night of the week 52 weeks a year because of heavy cruise ship passenger overnights (most of the ships are back by early November) and you have the perfect formula for a very high rate. Try and see if you can make it a little lower byh booking a AAA rate. Be grateful it is not the weekend before when things would be higher due to the annual FLL boat show.
Old Jun 21, 2024, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not sure what changed. I went back to look again and suddenly prices were much more reasonable and several hotels (including Aloft) that had been unavailable were available. I wound up booking the downtown Fairfield Inn for $189. I figure it's nicer to be downtown and able to walk places. We're just getting on a cruise ship the next day.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.