Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Vienna (Wien), Austria

Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 6, 2002, 4:16 am
Original Poster

Looks like there is a Marriott and 2 Renaissance hotels. Any advice? Or on any other nice Vienna hotels? thanks,
Old Aug 6, 2002, 4:47 am

We stayed at the Renaissance Penta in May, 2001.

Pluses: clean, pleasant, unexpected view of women sunning themselves topless in the courtyard below. Chinese restaurant down the street that claimed to be an Internet cafe but really just rented out their lone computer to anyone who wanted to use it.

Minuses- not centrally located (although we're enthusiastic walkers and it was a nice area), and the recording that played from the radio system that bolted us out of our bed around 8 one morning. "Achtung. Dieser ist eine..(unintelligible).. der Anlage.." over and over. You couldn't turn it off. I knew enough German to figure out it wasn't a dire emergency but it was still unnerving. Translation: it was a test of the system.

The Marriott is better-located on one of the "Rings", but took a lot more points.

We later stayed at the Carlton Opera. A large, clean room, but no elevator. Good Turkish restaurant and extensive "Adult" store and a bar called The Boy Zone nearby- but also close to the Naschmarkt- a fantastic food market. All depends on what you're into. The Carlton Opera was about $100 a night- closer to what middle-class Europeans are used to. We'd return again, but it can't be judged by Marriott or Hilton standards. Prices aren't in that range, either, of course.
Old Aug 6, 2002, 6:28 am
Patron

If you look for a cheaper Marriott place, try the Renaissance Wien (Category 4), three weekend nights for € 96,--/night (breakfast for two included) during the VISA Summer Promo. This hotel is located opposite to the underground station Meidling Hauptstraße (U4). From here, you have two stops two Schönbrunn, four stops (other direction) to Naschmarkt (U4 Kettenbrückengasse) and five to the opera house and Kärtner Straße (U4 Karlsplatz).

BTW.: On not to busy weekends Marriott Vienna could be a good option. This hotel is sometimes cheaper than the Renaissance Penta Vienna Hotel.

Old Aug 6, 2002, 6:32 am

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
I stayed at the Marriott in July 2002. I received an upgrade to the lounge floor. The lounge offered a variety of drinks and an excellent breakfast in the morning. The rooms are clean and modern.

The location is very convenient if you want to do sight-seeing. Public transport is in front of the hotel if you prefer going by tram. 5-10min walking distance to Stephansdom, Opera or Bellevue.

I stayed also at Starwood Westin Excelsior and at Starwood Imperial in the same week. All three hotels were great and are highly recommended.
Old May 30, 2003, 8:42 pm

I stayed at the Renaissance Wien this month for 3 nights. The rooms are very decent. The rooftop indoor pool was nice. It's literally across the street from the subway station (cheap snacks and drinks) but there's little else in the immediate vacinity. I got off my train from Venice at the Meidling station, and walked about 6 blocks down the hill to the hotel. There's a little Italian restaurant one block away that had good food and beers for very little money. The owner bought us shots of Ouzo when we finished eating. The lasagne was good. The subway can take you to anywhere downtown in a matter of 10 minutes. The Naschmarkt is very cool -- be sure to have lunch there if the weather is nice; lots of little cafes. The gyros kebabs sold at the food stalls are great.

[This message has been edited by SpuddBrother (edited 05-30-2003).]
Old Jun 1, 2003, 9:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
i like the vienna marriott. great location, service, etc. can't remember but there's a thread on marriott that has pics of the various marriott/rens in vienna, as well as other locations. check that out.

------------------
Sharon
Old Jun 2, 2003, 11:09 am

Programs: HH Silver
Am curious as to what the original poster thought of the hotels since chances are they've been and returned since last Aug.

I stayed at both the Ren's in VIE in March and preferred the Penta. While not as conveniently located as it's sister property to the U-bahn, it seemed to me to be a little bit nicer surroundings and at least as good customer service. There's a little more choice, also, of shops and restaurants than around the VIE Ren. But this is just my opinion and I was very happy with both properties.

BTW, Austria is a wonderful getaway for anyone able to snag a LH/OS sale sometime in the future.
Old Jun 25, 2004, 6:00 pm

Programs: AC*Elite, Marriott Gold, SPG Plat
Vienna Marriott

Has anyone recently stayed at Marriott Vienna? I have booked a week end stay there in mid-July at the rate of 115 E, but after looking at the pictures that some flyertalk members posted I realized that they don't quite look like the ones on marriott.com. Is this a good well maintained property? Or should I just use *wood points and stay at the Hotel Imperial?
Old Jun 29, 2004, 10:21 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I haven't stayed there in about 6 years but when I did it was nice. Can't compare it to Imperial as I hadn't stayed there.

I do remember that when I was there I'd go running in park across street & when I came back in the bellmen would always give me a small towel & Perrier. Turns out the hotel manager was a runner.

I'd stay there again.
Old Jun 30, 2004, 9:05 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium Elite, United LT 1M Gold
It's been a couple of years, but we enoyed our stay at the hotel. Good staff and well kept property. Near public transportation and close to the ring to walk to many sites. Not a "great" hotel, but very good.

Bruce
Old Jun 30, 2004, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by Konsultant
Has anyone recently stayed at Marriott Vienna? I have booked a week end stay there in mid-July at the rate of 115 E, but after looking at the pictures that some flyertalk members posted I realized that they don't quite look like the ones on marriott.com. Is this a good well maintained property? Or should I just use *wood points and stay at the Hotel Imperial?
The rooms at the Imperial (just a few blocks down the Ring) are lavish in a traditional, 19th century "palace" style. I think that the Marriott is just fine (but I actually like *wood's Bristol even more, due to its location across the street from the Staatsoper.

Last edited by Non-NonRev; Jul 1, 2004 at 12:54 pm Reason: Correct Typos
Old Jul 1, 2004, 2:48 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
If last August is recent enough, then I would advise you to stay at this Marriott - 115 Euro is a real bargain for a luxury hotel in Vienna. We had a really nice and well appointed room when we were there last year - and it is Vienna's only 5* hotel to have a swimming pool

Go for it!
Old Aug 12, 2004, 11:01 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, Spg Gold, HH Gold, AZ Freccia Alata, Hertz Club Gold
Marriott-family hotels in Wien (Vienna), Austria

During my recent stay in Wien, I went to hotel Renasience of Marriott brand.
It's a Five Stars.... but only on the paper.
The rooms are very small ( standard room ), WC room so small ( Think I must close the door if I want to use WC. ( it remember me Tetris ! ).
The resturant of the hotel was dirty ( dust on the glass ! ). When I tell it at the Metr, he doesn't say nothing. Just go out of the dinner room.
Bad position ( just near the runway ).

Only the breackfast is good.

I have booked 5 nights but after the 3° i escape to Westin Hotel, Hotel Bristol, in the center of the city, infront of Opera Palace.
The paradise with only few euro ! ^ I sudgest it for your next visit to Wien.

Good holidays at all !
Old Aug 12, 2004, 7:09 pm

Programs: HH Silver
That's too bad your stay was not as good as you expected. I was there 18 months ago and quite enjoyed my stay and found my room to be up to the usual Ren standards. I was there off season and enjoyed having the pool facility to myself most evenings. ^

As to the location, well it's across the road from the subway station so easy to catch transportation to the city sights. But not really in a spectacular neighborhood.

It's a little unfair, IMHO, to compare a luxury Westin hotel to a Ren, which to me is a little more downscale in terms of luxury from even it's cousin Marriott brand. Comparing a Marriott and a Westin would be a little more fair.

Last edited by tcook052; Aug 12, 2004 at 8:27 pm
Old Aug 12, 2004, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
We were there in 2001 so this is sort of outdated. We liked the place but weren't bowled over. The 8 AM testing of the alarm system (loud German recording coming through the radio system that you couldn't turn off) was a bit disconcerting. But, we enjoyed the view of the courtyard with the topless bovine ladies sunning themselves!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.