Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Long Island, NY

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Long Island, NY

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2012, 4:32 am

Assuming you are Platinum, the guarantee is not something that the GM can choose to honor or not honor. My guess is that the GM was not in the hotel at midnight when this "went down," so step one would be a direct conversation with the GM in a civil, calm tone. If that fails - and I suspect it will not fail - the next step would be the Platinum line that will at least sherpa you through the claim.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 5:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Looking for updates to this thread

I'm heading to Bethpage for a night. Flying in and out of JFK.

What properties are the closest?

Any current comments on say the Melville Marriott, LI Marriott Uniondale, or RI Plainview? Those are the three I'm considering up front

If it matters, I have gold status, will have a car and don't want the drive to Bethpage to be too difficult

thanks
Old Feb 13, 2013, 6:20 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Platinum Premier
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
I'm heading to Bethpage for a night. Flying in and out of JFK.

What properties are the closest?

Any current comments on say the Melville Marriott, LI Marriott Uniondale, or RI Plainview? Those are the three I'm considering up front

If it matters, I have gold status, will have a car and don't want the drive to Bethpage to be too difficult

thanks
I have stayed at all of these properties. Both Melville and LI Mariott's more recently as it has been about 2 years since I was at the RI. Of these three properties I'd say the LI Marriott is the nicest. Bethpage sites in the middle of al 3 of these properties with the RI being probably the closest. They really aren't far and not difficult t get to. All are located off major roadways and easily accessable.

Its one night but if I had to pick of the 3 Id say the LI Marriott. Melville is a little worn. There is more to do around the LI Marriott with the mall and restaurants being very close by. Gym is good and lounge is always decent. Better chance at an upgrade with LI over Melville. Melville only has 3 or 4 suites and all the rest of the rooms are your typical rooms so upgrade chances there are small.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:11 am

Where exactly are you going in Bethpage? I lived there for 30 years. The RI and Melville Marriott are closer than the Uniondale Marriott. But depending on where you are going, one might be easier, driving wise, than the other.

Not sure when you are coming. We expect snow tonight and again on Saturday.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 6:31 am

Well the decision was made for me

RI, would have been my first choice but sold out
Melville - couldn't get per diem there
Uniondale - thats what was left

no biggie, thanks for the input

oh yeah, does Uniondale have a lounge? I will be there on a weekday
Old Feb 14, 2013, 1:21 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Uniondale is the Long Island Marriott, and the staff is ATROCIOUS. I stayed there for a funeral about a year ago, and they treated me (a longtime Platinum) more poorly than I have ever been treated at any hotel.

I was on a Friends and Family rate, and they refused me access to the Lounge (this was BEFORE they took that perk away from PMs on FNF rates). Mind you - I didn't ask for points. I just asked for lounge access to get some water, and I asked nicely. They said no.

When I questioned @MarriottIntl on Twitter about the policy, they told me that the hotel was incorrect, and called to make sure I had access to the lounge. The hotel then proceeded to send a scathing letter to my FNF sponsor, claiming that I screamed at the staff and was rude and unreasonable. It was a complete lie, and, thankfully, my sponsor realized that the hotel was just upset that Customer Care contacted them.

If this is your only Marriott option, I would suggest a Hilton.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 10:32 am

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Mini trip report - Marriott Melville (Long Island)

Stayed here for a couple of weeks earlier this year. The overall experience is pretty good, however, there are just a few odd points to this hotel.

First the good. It's a Marriott...and if you've been in one Marriott then you've been in this one. Rooms are clean, the heat/AC works (and works well...I always appreciate a hotel when even though it's 12 degrees outside, my room can still be too warm and I can use the AC), and the staff literally could not be any nicer. EVERYONE greets you...from the bell staff, to the managers standing inside the front door, to the desk staff, to housekeeping and maintenance.

The lounge offerings are also well done. Breakfast has a pretty good selection and they offer eggs and sausage (although it is eggs and sausage EVERY morning). Evening selection is better with a nice variety of hearty appetizers, plus grilled and fresh veggies, plus either cold cuts or a full on antipasto. Mini fridge is always well stocked. Attendants actually attend the room...cleaning tables, restocking, looking for empty spaces for those who are standing.

Check in is usually pretty quick. Platinums some times get to pick multiple from the offerings (ie: points AND beer)...a bit random but I'm okay with that. And they also offer water bottles to those checking in. And free ice scrapers on the mornings when they might be needed.

The downside...it's an older Marriott and the rooms are a bit tired (but just a bit). They have alot of trade shows / conferences and parking can get crazy...the hotel's footprint is pretty big and you can end up parking kind of far away. The hotel is in the middle of a corporate park so there's nothing within walking distance.

Haven't tried the restaurant but the barmen are pretty friendly.

All-in-all, the upsides definitely outweigh the downsides.

A nice find in this part of the world.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 10:57 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks so much for the trip report! Much appreciated!

Cheers.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by doctor
Arrived at the Melville LI Marriott around 11:30 PM with a business associate. Two rooms reserved for late arrival guaranteed to CC. Hotel sold out, walked to Ramada. Only offered 20k points and paid stay at Ramada. Asst. Mgr. did not want to discuss or honor the "Platinum Ultimate Reservation Guarantee". Any suggestions who to contact to receive the proper compensation.
Geez they gave me 10K MR points just b/c my heater didn't work
Old Mar 24, 2013, 7:04 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Isn't this one of the older Marriott hotels with the swimming pool in the lobby? I seem to remember the swimming pool smell permeating the entire property.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 2:37 pm

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Isn't this one of the older Marriott hotels with the swimming pool in the lobby?
Yes.
I seem to remember the swimming pool smell permeating the entire property.
It really isn't noticeable. Maybe they fixed things.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 4:43 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
I used to work around the corner from this Marriott and we used to house many out of town employees, all of which were very complementary of the staff, lounge and service. I thought this was very special as most Long Island businesses do not put forth the best effort at times...
Old Mar 26, 2013, 8:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Isn't this one of the older Marriott hotels with the swimming pool in the lobby? I seem to remember the swimming pool smell permeating the entire property.
Has it always been a Marriott? It sure has an odd interior layout which made me wonder if it had once been an Embassy Suites or something like that.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by phlwookie
Has it always been a Marriott? It sure has an odd interior layout which made me wonder if it had once been an Embassy Suites or something like that.
Always been a Marriott.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 9:14 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Good Stay

I just stayed there Sunday to Wednesday earlier this week on points. Staff was very friendly and asking if they could help with bags, etc.. I am a do it yourself type so didn't take them up on it. When we checked in, they gave my six year old daughter a small bag of toys which she loved. I asked for an extra quiet room when I made the reservation via the web site and the room assigned met my request. It was on the 3rd floor which is one floor below the CL Lounge on the 4th floor. Furnishings are typical Marriott and a bit dated but still comfortable.

Breakfast offerings in the lounge were good but exactly the same every day. They included: scrambled eggs, turkey sausage, oatmeal, a nice fresh fruit assortment, a nice cold cereal assortment, hot oatmeal, yogurt, hardboiled eggs, and assorted breads and muffins. Beverages were juice assortment, coffee (non-Starbucks though still decent), tea, and milk. Beverage refrigerator was well stocked with water and soda. Lounge associate was very attentive and kept the food replenished and the tables clean and tidy. One miss was not having Matzah for Passover for Jewish patrons Tuesday morning (I had my own which I shared with others). Wednesday morning they had Matzah available in the lounge. Other than late evening coffee/tea, I didn't check out the evening offerings.

I didn't notice any smell from the Lobby Pool. Overall is was a very good stay and I would stay there again. If you like quiet rooms, request one that doesn't overlook the Atrium.

--Jon

P.S. I didn't ask if breakfast coupons were offered over the weekend when the CL is closed. Sorry Sharon…

Last edited by Jon Maiman; Mar 28, 2013 at 9:21 pm Reason: Grammar and Spelling.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.