Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Blue Palace, Crete, Greece [Master Thread]

Blue Palace, Crete, Greece [Master Thread]

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 19, 15, 11:32 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: lcpteck
Wiki Link
SPG INSTANT AWARDS

Winter Closure: October 31, 2015 - April 20, 2016

From October 31, 2015 through April 20, 2016, the resort will be closed for the winter season. The resort will reopen on April 21, 2016.
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 3, 18, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, LH Silver, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, Hyatt Disc, PC Plat, CC Gold
I thought the restaurants were ok but nothing memorable. Typical resort based fare IMHO.

I agree that the pools of the Maisonette suites were a tad cold. damon88 if I were you I would just have the resort confirm that you can have the heat turned on for the pool of the Island Suite you upgraded to at your discretion. I would be worried that they would say something like...."sorry we cannot control the individual pools even in the Island Suite at that time of year."

We liked the resort but are going back this year and staying at the Marriott Domes property in Elounda instead. It was just a much better deal to use MR points than to use SPG points. 5 nights for 180k MR points which is equal to 60k SPG for a true 1 Bedroom suite with a whirlpool is a deal better than 80k SPG IMHO for the Blue Palace where the rooms for awards are not true 1 Bedroom suites.

Last edited by christianj; Apr 3, 18 at 12:21 pm
Old Apr 3, 18, 1:54 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by offerendum View Post
Look at your dates and as I said try also broakers. I used billiger-Mietwagen, but there are others.
As mentioned, Flyertalk coming in clutch again. Thanks for the advice-the site shows a few option at 250 USD. Four nights booked for beginning of August. Room type is superior bungalow with private pool-cant tell if thats heated or not tho
Old Apr 3, 18, 4:25 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by frequentlyflying View Post
As mentioned, Flyertalk coming in clutch again. Thanks for the advice-the site shows a few option at 250 USD. Four nights booked for beginning of August. Room type is superior bungalow with private pool-cant tell if thats heated or not tho
Normally not. Superior Bungalow (it´s indeed a room and no bungalow) with heated pool is available but an own categorie which comes with extra costs. Also you must be careful with heated pools. Don´t know how it is on Crete but at Fuerteventura for excample maximum heating temparature by law is 22 degree Celsius.
Old Apr 3, 18, 4:34 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Our stay was mid-May a few years ago and we were upgraded to a room with a pool. ( not sure the category.) The hotel is facing East and so you get spectacular sunrises......but the unfortunately you also lose the sun on any private pool terrace pretty quickly as it moves over head. Our pool was unheated and unusable because it was so cold and never got enough sun to heat up the water.
Old Apr 3, 18, 9:05 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond (C) Hyatt Explorist (M)
I really do feel as if we dodged a bullet with the pool. A freezing pool would have been a total waste.

Per the hotel the pool in the Island Suite is heated to 82 degrees. It is also a “real” pool not a plunge pool- 322 square feet.
Old Apr 4, 18, 1:41 am
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by david55 View Post
Our pool was unheated and unusable because it was so cold and never got enough sun to heat up the water.
Agree 100 %! Btw I would never ever again book a bungalow, would only stay in an Island Suite or book Elounda Gulf Villas.

The Island suite pool seems to be something complely different.
Old Jun 17, 18, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by christianj View Post
I thought the restaurants were ok but nothing memorable. Typical resort based fare IMHO.

I agree that the pools of the Maisonette suites were a tad cold. damon88 if I were you I would just have the resort confirm that you can have the heat turned on for the pool of the Island Suite you upgraded to at your discretion. I would be worried that they would say something like...."sorry we cannot control the individual pools even in the Island Suite at that time of year."

We liked the resort but are going back this year and staying at the Marriott Domes property in Elounda instead. It was just a much better deal to use MR points than to use SPG points. 5 nights for 180k MR points which is equal to 60k SPG for a true 1 Bedroom suite with a whirlpool is a deal better than 80k SPG IMHO for the Blue Palace where the rooms for awards are not true 1 Bedroom suites.
Did you go to Domes already? Let us know how you liked it and how it compares to Blue palace
Old Jul 30, 18, 9:14 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond (C) Hyatt Explorist (M)
I had forgotten that I had already inquired at Blue Palace and that they told me the pool in the Island Suite is heated to 82 degrees.

That is an acceptable temperature to heat a pool to in October. Now I am considering switching back to Blue Palace from Domes. Domes wants 100 euros per day to heat the pool and for that (outrageous IMHO) fee they only heat to 77 degrees. There is a thread in the Marriott forum from someone who recently returned from Domes and was very unhappy that the main pool was too cold to swim in.
Old Aug 2, 18, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by damon88 View Post
I had forgotten that I had already inquired at Blue Palace and that they told me the pool in the Island Suite is heated to 82 degrees.

That is an acceptable temperature to heat a pool to in October. Now I am considering switching back to Blue Palace from Domes. Domes wants 100 euros per day to heat the pool and for that (outrageous IMHO) fee they only heat to 77 degrees. There is a thread in the Marriott forum from someone who recently returned from Domes and was very unhappy that the main pool was too cold to swim in.
100 € per day may be common but a ripoff in my eyes.
Old Aug 2, 18, 3:51 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by offerendum View Post
100 € per day may be common but a ripoff in my eyes.
Agreed. Mystique had referenced a fee for heating the pool there but graciously waived it for us.

And this friendly reply from Blue Palace made me feel good about them.

Blue Palace's Reply regarding Island Suites Pool

I know that Greece has economic problems but I think Domes' stance is shortsighted. And if they are going to charge a fee
to heat the pool it should be to a comfortable temperature.
Old Aug 3, 18, 4:09 am

I stayed during September and while temperatures were near 40 degree over the day our pool kept relatively cold. So a heated pool is a must. Would go with Blue Palace as long as you pick one of the top-suites.
Old May 28, 19, 12:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium
Hey,

Checked in late last night for our 8 night (first!) baby moon at the blue palace. Had a heated pool bungalow reserved on strong request from pregnant wife, and was really happy with my titanium upgrade to a Maisonette suite... or not.

Got into the pool after breakfast to a rather unpleasant coldness. Checked via a message on the app and it turns out maisonette suites don’t have heated pools

A heated pool was obviously quite important to me, so I requested an alternative suite with an heated pool. Was told that the only suites left weren’t eligible for titanium upgrades (even though a junior suites with heated pool was available on the app, which are categorized lower than maisonette suites. Was offered one of those tomorrow :/)

Went for a chat at reception and requested the original room type I booked so that I could start my holiday. Was told that none were available until 4 o’clock. Realized back in my room that the hotel must therefore be sold out of heated pool rooms, and I was upgraded/downgraded to a maisonette without heated pool for the day. As such i decided (for the first time ever) to invoke room type guarantee and also arrival gift guarantee - the gift didn’t arrive this morning as agreed. Of course within about 15 mins of claiming the guarantees, the room I booked became available and my arrival gift arrived :/

I’m now sitting (happily, its perfectly nice and the pool is much more comfortable) in the room I booked, but feeling a bit deceived by the hotel in a number of ways so I want to pursue the claims. Blue palace is pushing back on both, saying they a) fulfilled their requirements with the maisonette suite even without a heated pool, and b) that they delayed the arrival gift until 200 as we arrived late and must’ve been tired (we agreed that the gift would arrive in the morning and nobody advised house keeping of this thoughtfulness from the front desk ...)

What are my grounds for
  1. room type guarantee - the room description begins ‘bungalow heated pool’ so I don’t accept that this is a ‘specific preference’ according to the T&C’s
  2. Titanium arrival gift claim for amenity not arriving this morning as promised.
Important note going forward: the pools genuinely are cold and don’t expect an upgrade to a heated pool even if that is what you had originally booked.

On positive news, there is a separate breakfast restaurant for plats and above with a la carte service. Truly excellent.

James
Old May 28, 19, 2:04 pm

I guess they are short with room that provide heated pools as it is the only way to enjoy it. Even with over 35 degree outside for weeks the unheated pool was still freezing.
Old May 28, 19, 3:54 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

From my impression of reading this thread and other reviews on Blue Palace, they are not very generous or forthcoming on upgrades and expected status amenities. Bare minimum and lots of excuses. They just seem to have a shoulder shrug attitude towards clients.