Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

[LEFT Marriott; to become Rosewood] Blue Palace, Crete, Greece [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dgreen12
Email Addresses (per Post 425)

Print Wikipost

[LEFT Marriott; to become Rosewood] Blue Palace, Crete, Greece [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2014, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
In preparation for our five-day visit to the BP next month, I'm thinking we probably won't need a car since we'll have done our exploring of Crete beforehand. In addition, we might be shifting our Heraklion departing flight from to about 7 a.m., which I realize would make our driving and dropping off a rental car problematic. Does anyone think there would be a problem with our booking the hotel Mercedes or a taxi for departure from the BP very early, in time to catch the 7 a.m. flight?

Thanks for any advice.
I would think that would not be a problem but only hotel can confirm.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 10:38 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

In preparation for our five-day visit to the BP next month, I'm thinking we probably won't need a car since we'll have done our exploring of Crete beforehand. In addition, we might be shifting our Heraklion departing flight from to about 7 a.m., which I realize would make our driving and dropping off a rental car problematic. Does anyone think there would be a problem with our booking the hotel Mercedes or a taxi for departure from the BP very early, in time to catch the 7 a.m. flight?

Thanks for any advice.
Although most of the car rentals allow you to deliver a car back to the airport at anytime ...you just leave the keys under the mat at a pre-arranged time, I would be more concerned about driving to Heraklion in the dark from Plaka early morning. The hotel car/driver sounds like a good option.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
For our upcoming five-night stay next month, I have an SNA upgrade request in. If it clears and on the off chance that we have a choice, I'd appreciate some advice on which to request. I'd also appreciate advice on which of the better suites to select if they are offered as complimentary upgrades (fat chance!) or paid upgrades at a rate within our price point.

More specifically, and to use the BP website's names for various rooms:

1. For the complimentary SNA upgrade we conceivably might have a choice between a junior suite with a private heated pool and a larger, maisonette (two-floor) suite with a private pool. (Both pools are 21 sq meters, apparently plunge pools.) How much difference do folks feel a heated pool makes? And is the maisonette otherwise much nicer than the junior suite?
2. The other, presumably even nicer suite categories include the bi-level two-bedroom with a heated plunge pool, the deluxe (corner) suites with a 40 sq m (presumably unheated) pool, and the island suites with 30 sq m heated pool. Any experience with or preference regarding these?
3. Whatever category of room we might end up in, am I correct in assuming that for relative privacy and quiet, we would want a room far from the funicular and far above the road?

Thanks for any help.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 1:43 am

Programs: UA MMGold, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
I stayed at a Maisonette room a while back and was quite happy with the room. I never step into the pool but think it was cold. It is not really a private pool as the water flows through the adjacent units. My room was near the breakfast restaurant IIRC, took some walk to go the funicular but recall the view was perfect.

I was shown some different rooms, recall one is one tier up than the Maisonette with no stairs, closer to the funicular (less walk), but I didn't like it and settled at the Maisonette.

Regarding the privacy and quiet, it really depend your room's environment and your neighbors, you can never know.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 1:53 am

Programs: UA MMGold, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
IDoes anyone think there would be a problem with our booking the hotel Mercedes or a taxi for departure from the BP very early, in time to catch the 7 a.m. flight?

Thanks for any advice.
I had the hotel arranged the pick up and drop off and the car the transportation company used was a Mercedes. I had late pickup at the ferry (ferry delayed) and early drop-off to the airport. The drivers spoke English well and the service was done professionally.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 9:43 am

Programs: Starwoods/ Marriott Life Time Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, and HP
Originally Posted by wendySFO
I had the hotel arranged the pick up and drop off and the car the transportation company used was a Mercedes. I had late pickup at the ferry (ferry delayed) and early drop-off to the airport. The drivers spoke English well and the service was done professionally.
Wendy:Great news. I will be using the service next week.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 2:03 pm

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Can anyone offer recent advice for dining options, specifically for breakfast and dinner?
Old Aug 14, 2014, 8:41 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
Can anyone offer recent advice for dining options, specifically for breakfast and dinner?
There's quite a few recommendations a few posts up...
Old Aug 14, 2014, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
There are so many decent restaurants in neighboring Plaka ( walking distance) or Elounda ( cab or car) that it would be too bad not explore some of them for lunch or dinner when staying at the BP. In Plaka, although I do not remember the name , the last restaurant closest to the pebble beach is one of the best and we enjoyed a delicious meal there.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 7:04 am
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Originally Posted by david4455
There are so many decent restaurants in neighboring Plaka ( walking distance) or Elounda ( cab or car) that it would be too bad not explore some of them for lunch or dinner when staying at the BP. In Plaka, although I do not remember the name , the last restaurant closest to the pebble beach is one of the best and we enjoyed a delicious meal there.
Especially that BP is very expensive compared to all the alternatives nearby. You can eat very well in the restaurants nearby and the owners generally offer you a desert, a digestive or both.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 7:38 am

Speaking of the pebble beach in Plaka...a little known WW2 war story. When the Germans were retreating they drove tanks, jeeps and trucks into the waters off that beach so that the advancing allies could not acquire them. In 1970 when we were living in the area you still could see some the rusting vehicles underneath the water. There are a couple German bunkers outside the BP grounds.... the bunkers are considered national monuments, reminders of the Nazi atrocities, and cannot be removed.

Seeing the rusting hulks creeped me out as a child.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question

How good is the internet connection from the hotel's own stations in the lobby? I thought I'd read that the internet there was very slow from folk's own devices in their rooms. (Though perhaps I'm confusing this with some other hotel, in that searching through this thread I now don't see such comments.) Regardless, I'll need to do flight check-in, seat selection, etc. while there. The hotel's stations should be fine for this, unless they're very slow as well. Any experience with this? And for that matter, am I correct in assuming that connections using one's own devices are in fact very slow?

Thanks for any help.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 9:53 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime PLT
am I correct in assuming that connections using one's own devices are in fact very slow?.
When I was there a year ago, I had no issues streaming music all day long on their wifi. I wouldn't worry too much about checking in for your flight.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good to know. Thanks!
Old Aug 21, 2014, 1:29 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
The Internet is functional enough. It's just that everything is rather slow in Greece.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.