Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Washington, DC, area

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Washington, DC, area

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2018, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
He's with his family and has made it clear that lounge access (complimentary lounge access) is important, which makes the Marriott Georgetown (not really in Georgetown) the clear favorite.
Yes but - His/her family will be without him/her many/some of the daytime periods ("I'll be near Foggy Bottom for work, but can take the metro so it's not necessary for us to stay near there.").

What they want to do, where they want to go, options for swimming, dining, how much they plan to use the Metro, etc. should all be taken into account.

David

p.s. I could mention the Marriott Wardman Park since it's near the Zoo but that might annoy CJKatl...

Last edited by DELee; Jun 6, 2018 at 1:15 pm Reason: adding gender diversity since OP's gender is not defined
Old Jun 7, 2018, 11:53 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, United Silver
I think I'll rule out the Georgetown Marriott so you don't have to fight about it anymore. Like I said, being close to Foggy Bottom isn't important and I don't think there is a ton for the family to do right there and it is kind of far to a metro stop.

As for the Zoo, we've been there several times and I imagine in July it will be too hot for us to want to go again.

I'm leaning towards the Renaissance as it is a contender for my overall favorite brand and I don't think I've ever had a bad stay at one. Wife is still wanting to try the Ritz though since we've never stayed in one. I might just do it without the club. Is it possible to buy club access for a single night just to try it out?
Old Jun 7, 2018, 12:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by 7Lowe
I think I'll rule out the Georgetown Marriott so you don't have to fight about it anymore. Like I said, being close to Foggy Bottom isn't important and I don't think there is a ton for the family to do right there and it is kind of far to a metro stop.

As for the Zoo, we've been there several times and I imagine in July it will be too hot for us to want to go again.

I'm leaning towards the Renaissance as it is a contender for my overall favorite brand and I don't think I've ever had a bad stay at one. Wife is still wanting to try the Ritz though since we've never stayed in one. I might just do it without the club. Is it possible to buy club access for a single night just to try it out?
So you want lounge access for the family but don't want to stay at the best, complimentary Marriott lounge in Washington? And the Marriott Georgetown feels more like a Renaissance property in decor than Marriott.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 1:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, United Silver
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
So you want lounge access for the family but don't want to stay at the best, complimentary Marriott lounge in Washington? And the Marriott Georgetown feels more like a Renaissance property in decor than Marriott.
We want a lounge, but will likely only spend maybe an hour a day there, so it's not the most important thing. I didn't know it was the best in DC though. I'll keep considering it for now I guess.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 1:38 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Amazingly sometimes people go on trips for reasons other than to visit lounges
Jon Maiman, DJ_Iceman and DELee like this.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pvn
Amazingly sometimes people go on trips for reasons other than to visit lounges
Hey, I just do this so I can post to FlyerTalk!

David
Old Jun 7, 2018, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by 7Lowe
Wife is still wanting to try the Ritz though since we've never stayed in one. I might just do it without the club. Is it possible to buy club access for a single night just to try it out?
In my experience, this is always possible and you can pretty much choose which 24-hour period you want to have access. I can only see it being a problem if the club level is actually full (which does sometimes happen), in which case they don't allow day-of upcharging.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lucycan
Some great info in here. Thanks folks!
lucycan:

Did you decide where to book?

David

Last edited by DELee; Jun 8, 2018 at 2:24 am
Old Jul 26, 2018, 10:02 pm

ETA: Best hotel choice? Renaissance, Marriott Metro Center or JW? I think we've settled on JW since we are both going and it's just a little bit more than the others, even though JW makes morning commutes longer for both of us.

Parameters:

1. Conference at Grand Hyatt. I don't have much use for Hyatt points. Marriott at Metro Center is around the corner and Renaissance is a couple of blocks away. I go back and forth during the day, so don't want to go much further than Renaissance.

2. [Although this is the family friendly thread] My family will not be joining me as kids are in school this week and have two other long weekends the same month. [This just seemed like the thread with the best DC discussion.] ETA: My husband WILL be joining me as he also has a conference in DC. His is at the Marriott Wardman Park and given that it's not as centrally located but easily accessible on the Metro, we will not be staying there for the time we overlap.

3. Marriott Gold, but Renaissance no longer offers lounge access/breakfast access on the weekends: https://thepointsguy.com/2018/02/mar...ite-breakfast/ I would have access at Metro Center, but also don't mind finding my own breakfast/good coffee shop. I don't have much use for afternoon/evening lounge access on this trip.

4. Prices between all three are essentially the same. Grand Hyatt is $20 more than Marriott, which is $20 more than Renaissance. All are within budget set for this reimbursed work trip, so price isn't really a factor other than wanting to make sure my choice makes more sense than the convenience of the conference hotel.

Last edited by kersie; Aug 1, 2018 at 7:34 pm
Old Jul 27, 2018, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by kersie
Parameters...
Those are some good input parameters. Do you have an objective function?

Although this is the family friendly thread, my family will not be joining me
LOL - are you referring to the thread title? "Marriott-family" just means all of the brands within the Marriott portfolio. E.g. Renaissance, Courtyard, and so on. It doesn't mean the hotels are family-friendly.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 8:54 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Are there any adults-only Marriott portfolio hotels in DC?
Old Jul 31, 2018, 8:09 am

Ha! I clearly read the thread too quickly and so many of the posts involved family that I assumed it was family friendly hotels
Old Aug 1, 2018, 7:34 pm

I just realized I never asked the question.... ETA more details
Old Aug 2, 2018, 6:48 am

I just realized I never asked the question.... ETA more details
You can't go wrong with the JW, I agree. Have you considered the Marriott Marquis by the convention center? It's huge, new, and well-reviewed. I'd say that honestly it's probably a wash between these different properties, since they're all so similar, but might be worth looking into, just since you didn't mention it and there might be something that jumps out at you.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Back to UA, missing DL; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mb1136
I usually try to avoid Courtyards, but had a one night stay at the Courtyard Washington Convention Center last week due to a business meeting in the area. I was pleasantly surprised that there was a concierge lounge. In the evening, they had cheese and crackers, fruit, chicken wings and cookies, along with free wine. Breakfast in the morning was eggs, bacon, fruit, pastries, etc. Lounge was fairly empty in both the evening and the morning. The attendant was very friendly and attentive. A great Courtyard experience!
FYI, this property is closing at some point in October, exact date unknown. The new property (CY "Washington/Downtown Convention Center") that is actually close to the Convention Center, across the street from the Marquis, is a Cat 5, already bookable and set to open that same month.

Last edited by silverthief2; Sep 15, 2018 at 9:16 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.