Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Washington, DC, area

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Washington, DC, area

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2022, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Back to UA, missing DL; Marriott Gold
Stayed 3 nights at the Residence Inn DC Downtown/Convention Center in June. This is a pretty new property, co-located with a Courtyard, directly behind the Marriott Marquis and across 9th Street from the actual Convention Center, so it's a high-traffic area. Unloading and loading out front were chaotic on both departure and arrival, with valets and rideshares clogging the whole curb. Valet is $51 per night, on par with other properties in the area, which made me glad we didn't drive.

The lobby was also chaos, including an event registration on my checkout day. Elevators are speedy but got crowded. If you can check in and out on the app, better to do that and skip the lengthy FD lines. Breakfast = standard fare, nice eating area looking out to their courtyard.

We booked and got a studio king, on the 7th floor. A 360-degree swiveling TV is the de facto room divider and works decently well for that purpose. Bathroom and kitchen both shiny and looked barely ever used. Very comfy bed and even a reasonable sofa though I didn't sleep on the latter. Overall, I'd prefer the Marquis for this area but this is a good alternative if you need an in-room kitchen and the other consolation for no-lounge is this property is even newer.
MDtR-Chicago and goodeats21 like this.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 2:40 pm

Does anyone know of a hotel near DCA/Crystal City that would give me the best chance of getting the 4pm platinum checkout? My flight leaves around 5pm from DCA.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 1:34 am

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Originally Posted by gbongc
Does anyone know of a hotel near DCA/Crystal City that would give me the best chance of getting the 4pm platinum checkout? My flight leaves around 5pm from DCA.
Pre-COVID, I've never had a problem at the Crystal City Marriott, and I have dozens of data points for that property. I've also had success at the Crystal Gateway Marriott and the Renaissance Crystal City, but I have many fewer data points on those properties. I haven't stayed at any other Crystal City properties.
samosa and gbongc like this.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Life Plat
A long shot to ask, but does anyone know if the Fairfield Inn Washington, DC/New York Avenue is ever going to open again?

It closed during the pandemic and I read somewhere that the property had been repurposed to provide shelter for people without housing during those times. The property is still listed on the Marriott site, but there has been a rolling pattern of bookings showing it as "not available" for the next couple months and then at a preposterous / don't-book-this-property rate (~$500 / night) for all dates after that.

While it's not in the best part of the city, it was the best hotel in walking distance to a nearby music venue and thus before Covid I'd stay there a number of times each year. It was always a fine stay too -- one of the better Fairfield Inns and with great, friendly staff.
samosa likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by twa777
A long shot to ask, but does anyone know if the Fairfield Inn Washington, DC/New York Avenue is ever going to open again?

It closed during the pandemic and I read somewhere that the property had been repurposed to provide shelter for people without housing during those times. The property is still listed on the Marriott site, but there has been a rolling pattern of bookings showing it as "not available" for the next couple months and then at a preposterous / don't-book-this-property rate (~$500 / night) for all dates after that.

While it's not in the best part of the city, it was the best hotel in walking distance to a nearby music venue and thus before Covid I'd stay there a number of times each year. It was always a fine stay too -- one of the better Fairfield Inns and with great, friendly staff.
Have you tried calling them?

David
Old Nov 10, 2022, 11:20 am

Programs: alaska, united, marriott, hilton
Hi,

We are going to hit up the kennedy center and stay in DC over new years. We are local but its a fun NYE out. Anyway which hotels has the best full service restaurant breakfast for platinums? Lounge is nice but we would rather have NY day breakfast in the restaurant (or room service). I don't see much recent discussion here since the COVID restrictions ended.

Other than St Regis and the Ritz every other hotel in the DC area is the same price.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
And the St. Regis and the Ritz are going to have the best restaurant/room service breakfasts.
Old Nov 11, 2022, 7:47 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by skier464
Hi,

We are going to hit up the kennedy center and stay in DC over new years. We are local but its a fun NYE out. Anyway which hotels has the best full service restaurant breakfast for platinums? Lounge is nice but we would rather have NY day breakfast in the restaurant (or room service). I don't see much recent discussion here since the COVID restrictions ended.

Other than St Regis and the Ritz every other hotel in the DC area is the same price.
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
And the St. Regis and the Ritz are going to have the best restaurant/room service breakfasts.
If it helps, I preferred the restaurant breakfast at the St. Regis over the Ritz West End, Ritz Georgetown, and Park Hyatt.
Old Nov 11, 2022, 3:10 pm

Programs: United 1K; Marriott Titanium
Recently stayed at the Marriott Bethesda at Marriott HQ. Brand new, so they were working out some quirks -but nice property with a solid lounge. Only gripe is the valet was understaffed.
Old Nov 12, 2022, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT
Just checked out. The chaos began Thursday night. Midweek was ok. However, this is the skimpiest-feeling RI I've stayed in. Miniscule soaps, had to call for towels, minimally equipped kitchen, no glasses in bathroom, not even plastic. The Market on first floor had practically nothing, no dirty spas, no popcorn, little of the usually stuff. But I preferred it to staying at the Marquis where my conference was. Given my druthers, I'll stay at the RI by Pentagon City in the future
Originally Posted by silverthief2
Stayed 3 nights at the Residence Inn DC Downtown/Convention Center in June. This is a pretty new property, co-located with a Courtyard, directly behind the Marriott Marquis and across 9th Street from the actual Convention Center, so it's a high-traffic area. Unloading and loading out front were chaotic on both departure and arrival, with valets and rideshares clogging the whole curb. Valet is $51 per night, on par with other properties in the area, which made me glad we didn't drive.

The lobby was also chaos, including an event registration on my checkout day. Elevators are speedy but got crowded. If you can check in and out on the app, better to do that and skip the lengthy FD lines. Breakfast = standard fare, nice eating area looking out to their courtyard.

We booked and got a studio king, on the 7th floor. A 360-degree swiveling TV is the de facto room divider and works decently well for that purpose. Bathroom and kitchen both shiny and looked barely ever used. Very comfy bed and even a reasonable sofa though I didn't sleep on the latter. Overall, I'd prefer the Marquis for this area but this is a good alternative if you need an in-room kitchen and the other consolation for no-lounge is this property is even newer.

Last edited by lskohn; Nov 12, 2022 at 2:18 pm Reason: Error
Old Nov 21, 2022, 5:42 am

Does anyone know anything about The Madison? It seems relatively new and it is not obvious what brand it is, i.e. Autograph, etc.

(I need one more night for LTP so I'll do a local stay. This property has a decent rate this weekend although I'll likely stay at one of the Crystal City properties and save a few $.)

Thanks and safe travels!
Old Nov 21, 2022, 8:48 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lamphs
Does anyone know anything about The Madison? It seems relatively new and it is not obvious what brand it is, i.e. Autograph, etc.

(I need one more night for LTP so I'll do a local stay. This property has a decent rate this weekend although I'll likely stay at one of the Crystal City properties and save a few $.)

Thanks and safe travels!
I just checked out of there yesterday. Even after staying I have no idea what brand it actually is. All the email confirmations and communications said it was a Le Meridian which doesn't really make sense.

I got a $127 rate for last Saturday. I thought it was a good value. The staff were all great from the front desk to the bell staff.

They only offered me a $10 dollar food and beverage credit or points at check in. They do have a lounge, but its closed on the weekends.

Room was pretty nice, and I though the price was great for the location.
lamphs likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 11:25 am

Programs: AP 50k, UA Silver, MB Titanium, HH Diamond
Best bang for buck for 35k cert (+ top off) in DC area (downtown probably ideal?) with great elite recognition? Will be staying late Feb mid week (Wed -> Thurs) for a positioning to IAD (8pm flight but don't want to risk any delays/weather cancellations). Haven't been in DC before so will be looking forward to using late check out to do a quick tour (probably will be spending half the time in the Smithsonian...). Making a points booking before the dynamic overload comes crushing in.

Was looking at the AC Hotel DC Downtown, JW, Madison, Mayflower. JW probably best in terms of location.

On side note, are hotels in DC usually this expensive cash wise???

Last edited by mynameisdmoon; Nov 23, 2022 at 11:26 am Reason: adding more info
Old Nov 23, 2022, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by mynameisdmoon
Best bang for buck for 35k cert (+ top off) in DC area (downtown probably ideal?) with great elite recognition? Will be staying late Feb mid week (Wed -> Thurs) for a positioning to IAD (8pm flight but don't want to risk any delays/weather cancellations). Haven't been in DC before so will be looking forward to using late check out to do a quick tour (probably will be spending half the time in the Smithsonian...). Making a points booking before the dynamic overload comes crushing in.

Was looking at the AC Hotel DC Downtown, JW, Madison, Mayflower. JW probably best in terms of location.

On side note, are hotels in DC usually this expensive cash wise???
I am a walker and I'd stay in any of those properties for tourism. In addition Uber/Lyft is readily available. In addition, and I am local, if I had a 8 PM flight out of IAD, I'd be hitting the road between 3 and 4 at the latest as traffic is fairly back to normal in DC.

I see you'll be here during the week, so lounge breakfast shouldn't be an issue for PLT or above at JW. (I am assuming that the lounge has reopened; if not the JW is exempt from providing any breakfast outside the lounge.) I've stayed in the Mayflower, but its been awhile, so I can't provide accurate information. I just asked about The Madison upthread, It looks as if there is a $10 F&B credit in lieu of the open lounge. The Madison was recently a Hilton property I think.

And, yes, rates for WDC hotels, IMHO, are higher than pre-COVID.

Hope this helps.
mynameisdmoon likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 1:30 pm

Using a 50k certificate would you go Marriott Georgetown to Washington Ritz, given that I am Platinum and won't get any perks at the Ritz? The Ritz in question is the one near the Marriott Georgetown, not the Ritz that has Georgetown in its name. Also possible is the Mayflower, though I get the sense that part of town isn't so nice anymore nor is the Mayflower.

Last edited by flyerfirsts; Dec 5, 2022 at 1:39 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.