Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Washington, DC, area

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Washington, DC, area

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 1, 21, 6:04 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: hhoope01
Wiki Link
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 6, 19, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by 25milesfromhome View Post
I've got a stay starting Sunday and just received an email warning of night time construction by utilities. Has anyone stayed there lately? Wondering how bad the noise is.
Probably pretty bad if they're sending out emails about it...

How about the JW if you need to be in the immediate area, or the Ritz West End if you want a really nice hotel and are willing to go a few blocks?
Old Sep 6, 19, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by 25milesfromhome View Post
I've got a stay starting Sunday and just received an email warning of night time construction by utilities. Has anyone stayed there lately? Wondering how bad the noise is.
Originally Posted by arlflyer View Post
Probably pretty bad if they're sending out emails about it...

How about the JW if you need to be in the immediate area, or the Ritz West End if you want a really nice hotel and are willing to go a few blocks?
I'd assume that it probably is too late to cancel anywhere and book elsewhere - unless they're willing to waive off the cancellation deadline/fee due to the construction.

David
Old Sep 6, 19, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by DELee View Post
I'd assume that it probably is too late to cancel anywhere and book elsewhere - unless they're willing to waive off the cancellation deadline/fee due to the construction.
Generally a Sunday night stay at a big-city business hotel is indicative of work travel. Many corporate rates have flexible cancellation terms - anywhere from 2 days in advance to same day. If this isn't the case with OP, then I guess they were just asking in order to mentally prepare themselves...
Old Sep 6, 19, 4:20 pm

If you're considering the RC in West End, the Marriott Georgetown is right across the street, assuming it's open, of course. I was at the St. Regis back in March, no construction. But, with the way DC is, construction is everywhere and pops up constantly.

The W and the JW are close to the St Regis as well. Maybe 5 blocks.

There's a bunch of Courtyards and RIs around. Not St. Regis class, but, if you need a place to stay...

And if you're willing to go with another chain, there's a Hilton across from the Georgetown Marriott, and a Hyatt a block away from that. The Hyatt has an exceptional restaurant (with exceptional prices).

I won't mention the Wink (oh, I just did), It used to be the Reni Dupont Circle. Tiny rooms, tiny service. I don't know if the staff is the same, but they were terrible last time I was there (2 years ago).

Of course, all of this is just my opinion...
Old Sep 7, 19, 6:51 am

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by N5girl View Post
I would appreciate some advice. Will be doing a solo trip to DC with a 7 yr old - we have not been before to DC. It will be a thurs and fri night in Oct. i expect we will visit the White House and maybe a museum.

I have just made gold status. I have enough points to stay anywhere. My criteria would be

- nice rooms - I hate staying in old rooms with bad bathrooms
- lounge access with breakfast (24 hrs if possible as we will be on UK time)
- decent restaurants in the area / safe area
- ability to use either Metro or Uber/Lyft easily - we do not need to stay opposite the White House
-pool (this really would be a bonus rather than a deal-breaker - the rooms and lounge are more important). I assume all the outdoor pools will be closed?

Anyone have any opinion on which hotels would represent the best value (from a points POV)? Which areas should I look at? Its hard to tell from a map as I dont know what the traffic Is like.

I would love to stay in the St Regis, but I think I might find it frustrating to not be able to visit the bar etc.

Thanks in advance.
Metro is key. DC Traffic can be a pain, especially during rush hour. A Metro card is $2 per card (each person needs their own) and you can pay per ride or get a day pass. Just remember stand left, walk right on the escalators. Uber/Lyft are easy to get.

My experience is the best value from a point standpoint are Courtyards. While they don't have a lounge they give you a $10/day voucher for their restaurant. One thing about Courtyards is more and more rooms have showers vice tubs. If a tub is important check with the property to see what, if any, rooms have them.

My choice would be the Courtyard Convention Center. Short walk to metro, 2 stops to the Mall. Has a pool but not sure if it will be open. There is a RI attached to it as well.

Someone mentioned the Chevy Chase Courtyard. Nice hotel, I stay their a lot when I am in DC and there is a great bourbon/cigar bar (Civil Lounge) right off the Friendship Heights Metro. However, if you are in DC only for a weekend it is a bit of hike to get downtown. You don't want to waste 45minutes-hour on the Metro each way.

Tip: Check for the nearest Metro when you look at a hotel and the get a travel time estimate from Google Maps. That'll give you a good idea of travel times so you don't book a hotel that says DC but is in an hour and half away in Landover.

If you like naval history there's a nice little museum right off of Navy Memorial. You can see it all in less than an hour.

As for food, most of the stuff near the Mall is either over priced tourist or overpriced Hill crowd food. Lots of food trucks on Independence Ave by the L'Enfant Metro. Just south of Independence on C Street, by the Holiday Inn, is Two Sister's Deli. Great lunch sandwiches and my go to place when I am in DC downtown. Grab a bag of Utz' Crabby Chips at the CVS next door and you're all set. Not sure if open on Saturday but is on weekdays. Just get their before noon to avoid the crowd or around 1:30.

Last edited by jlc1978; Sep 7, 19 at 6:56 am Reason: update
Old Sep 7, 19, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by jlc1978 View Post
Metro is key. DC Traffic can be a pain, especially during rush hour. A Metro card is $2 per card (each person needs their own) and you can pay per ride or get a day pass. Just remember stand left, walk right on the escalators. Uber/Lyft are easy to get.

Someone mentioned the Chevy Chase Courtyard. Nice hotel, I stay their a lot when I am in DC and there is a great bourbon/cigar bar (Civil Lounge) right off the Friendship Heights Metro.

As for food, most of the stuff near the Mall is either over priced tourist or overpriced Hill crowd food. Lots of food trucks on Independence Ave by the L'Enfant Metro. Just south of Independence on C Street, by the Holiday Inn, is Two Sister's Deli. Great lunch sandwiches and my go to place when I am in DC downtown. Grab a bag of Utz' Crabby Chips at the CVS next door and you're all set. Not sure if open on Saturday but is on weekdays. Just get their before noon to avoid the crowd or around 1:30.
So, you mean stand right, walk/pass left on the escalators. Just like you were driving.

I take issue with the Chevy Chase Courtyard. One of the worst hotels I've stayed at in the DC area...well, one of the worst Marriott properties, I don't know what other hotels are like. But that was a year ago.

For the OP.....The food trucks are awesome. On weekdays, yeah, they're by L'Enfant, and also at 12th and G, which also happens to be right at the entrance to the Metro Center Metro station.

Not sure where they hang out on weekends. You can find out here:

DC Food Trucks | Food Truck Fiesta - a real-time automated DC food truck tracker

There are other sites, but the one above is pretty good.

You're right though, being next to or near a Metro station is key to ease of the DC experience. Kids would like the zoo too, which is, by the way, right near a metro station (and a FS Marriott). But it's in a hilly area, and the zoo itself is hilly.
Old Sep 7, 19, 7:50 am

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by jrich7970 View Post
So, you mean stand right, walk/pass left on the escalators. Just like you were driving.
Yup. Just making a bad joke since the OP was from the UK.

I take issue with the Chevy Chase Courtyard. One of the worst hotels I've stayed at in the DC area...well, one of the worst Marriott properties, I don't know what other hotels are like. But that was a year ago.
Fair enough, I've always had a good experience there. YMMV.

You're right though, being next to or near a Metro station is key to ease of the DC experience. Kids would like the zoo too, which is, by the way, right near a metro station (and a FS Marriott). But it's in a hilly area, and the zoo itself is hilly.
Woodley Park Marriott @ Woodley Park/Zoo Metro. Elevator dumps you near front, escalator side entrance. Older property that became a Marriott. Lounge is tiny and often packed, Restaurant/Bar was closed although others on property open. Some good places to eat near by.
Old Sep 7, 19, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by jlc1978 View Post
Yup. Just making a bad joke since the OP was from the UK.

Fair enough, I've always had a good experience there. YMMV.

Woodley Park Marriott @ Woodley Park/Zoo Metro. Elevator dumps you near front, escalator side entrance. Older property that became a Marriott. Lounge is tiny and often packed, Restaurant/Bar was closed although others on property open. Some good places to eat near by.
Yes, the Wardman Park Marriott which is in Woodley Park. And the lounge indeed is small. But it is not as crowded, as, say, the JW lounge which is equally small. I was there last week and it was unpleasant to be in during breakfast. First world problem, I know. Seems worse lately. I was there in March and it didn't seem as bad. A few years ago I was there for several weeks straight, and it was never an issue.

There are some that think that the lounges are more crowded because of the merger, but that doesn't make a lot of sense to me. People tend (at least in my experience) stay at the same places they were staying at before the merger. So why then, would the merger make any difference at all? I, for one, have only stayed in an ex-Starwood property once since the merger, and I travel almost every week. Maybe I'm unique.

If, however, it were easier night-wise to get into a lounge, then that would probable increase attendance, but I don't think that's the case either. In the Marriott world, I believe it's still 50 nights regardless of what they call it (not counting the taste of Platinum stuff, etc). I think. Not necessarily an opinion, but just guessing,
Old Sep 17, 19, 12:47 pm

What is the Marriott with best breakfast selection? What are the chances of getting upgraded to club level at the Ritz with Titanium status
Old Sep 17, 19, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by DealAddict View Post
What is the Marriott with best breakfast selection? What are the chances of getting upgraded to club level at the Ritz with Titanium status
I don't believe RC upgrades to club rooms based on status. I think you can get a suite upgrade as a Tit but to my knowledge there are no club level upgrades.
Old Sep 17, 19, 12:56 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by DealAddict View Post
What are the chances of getting upgraded to club level at the Ritz with Titanium status
There is no entitlement to Club level at RC for any Bonvoy elites. Whatsoever. So practically no chance at all.
Old Sep 17, 19, 2:42 pm

Okay will probably pass on Ritz

The a la carte breakfast at W actually looks really good, their breakfast entitlement is $25 per person per day

I am curious if the rooms with 2 beds are really tiny or an okay size
Old Sep 17, 19, 10:21 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k
Originally Posted by bhrubin View Post
There is no entitlement to Club level at RC for any Bonvoy elites. Whatsoever. So practically no chance at all.
Correct, but the few times I have wanted club level, it was offered to me in advance for a fee (stated as being lower price for titanium), then upon arrival at a lower fee, which was further negotiable. It was worth it for a leisure trip with the family.
bhrubin likes this.

Last edited by samosa; Sep 17, 19 at 10:22 pm Reason: Edit
Old Oct 11, 19, 3:34 pm
pjs

Titanium - Going for 3D/2N Sunday-Tuesday just before Thanksgiving with 17 yo daughter (just me and her). Not going to rent a car - flying in/out DCA. We will go to Newseum (before it closes permanently) and Holocaust Museum. Trying to book a Congress or FBI tour though our Rep as well. We will also head up to Bethesda to meet family for dinner on Sunday and/or Monday night. Marquis, Metro Center, Renaissance Downtown, Westin City Center are all the same number of points (65k total for 2 nights). Leaning toward Metro Center for location, but we don't mind a nice walk to get to some of the sights. Any recommendations?

Thanks
Old Oct 11, 19, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, AA Platinum, Avis Pres Club, Hertz Pres Circle
The W

Any updated stays/reviews on the W, status of the renovation?

Search this Thread