Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Ka'anapali Ocean resort villas [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Ka'anapali Ocean resort villas [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2011, 7:45 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
I usually pack:

salt & pepper, ketchup, mayo and mustard packets
a half dozen or so 2-in-1 laundry detergent/dryer sheets
coffee/coffee filter
4 or 5 dishwasher tablets
Montreal steak and Old Bay seasoning (a few tablespoons in ziplock bags)
breakfast bars
soft-sided cooler and ice pack (for day trips)
assorted baggies
a few kitchen garbage bags (also comes in handy for hauling back wet bathing suits/snorkel equipment)
Old Apr 5, 2011, 7:49 pm

Thanks for all these great suggestions.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 7:03 am

I was told the condo has starter amounts of dishwashing detergent, laundry detergent, paper towels, so I would need to replace those as needed.
What about things like toilet paper, kleenex, shampoo, conditioner--does the Westin replenish these or do I have to replace them once initial ones are used up? What if I forgo housekeeping--can I still track down replacements? Can I still get clean towels mid-week or so? Thanks!
Old Apr 6, 2011, 8:25 am

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by happy2traveler202
Can I still get clean towels mid-week or so? Thanks!
With a washer/dryer in each unit, it's pretty easy to wash the towels, if needed.

As to the rest, I've never had trouble with Kleenex and toilet paper being replenished upon request. The other personal care and kitchen items you can usually purchase either at a nearby store (cheapest) or at the on-site store.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 11:11 am

Programs: SPG LTP (let me live my fantasy), UAL 1K/MM, SWA A-list, Alaska Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
Love this property, don't spend the $$ or points on an upgrade to ocean view, not usually worth it, just walk down to the beach.

I think someone has not mentioned this in some time, but there is a COSTCO right next to the airport. You can pick up all sorts of great things there, including trays of tuna sashimi!

Rob is the big hunky valet/bellman there, he was a ridiculous wealth of information and so so helpful, shake him down for whatever you need.

Aloha!
Old Apr 6, 2011, 12:00 pm

Thanks for the great info. Definitely will stop at Costco. About how long is the trip from Costco to the Westin villas? If I buy chairs and umbrella at walmart or costco, can I bring them on the Westin beach or do they require you to rent from them? Am I correct only north building has the balcony for the studio units that lets you actually sit out there? I'm using point for a studio unit (thankfully booked before the recent point increase). Any studios to avoid in the north building. I'm SPG Gold but don't have high hopes of any upgrade. I'm going in June with my 2 adult daughters and open to any suggestions about what to do. We'll be there for 8 nights. Already have a luau reservation. Anyone do the brunch at Ka'anapali Beach Hotel? Is it worth it?
Old Apr 6, 2011, 1:47 pm

Depending on traffic, the airport/Costco is about 30-45 minutes from the villas. It's a public beach, so yes, you can bring your own chairs and umbrellas. There's also a grocery store up the street that's relatively reasonable, if you don't need to buy things in bulk from Costco.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by thor17
Depending on traffic, the airport/Costco is about 30-45 minutes from the villas.
The operative phrase is "depending on traffic". Honoapiilani Highway is a 2 lane highway. We were in Maui for a wedding and the bride got stuck behind an accident and was late to her own wedding. She left over 2 hours earlier from Kahului!
Old Apr 6, 2011, 2:25 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
Originally Posted by happy2traveler202
Am I correct only north building has the balcony for the studio units that lets you actually sit out there? I'm using point for a studio unit (thankfully booked before the recent point increase). Any studios to avoid in the north building. I'm SPG Gold but don't have high hopes of any upgrade.
Yes, the north side units have actual balconies. There are only a few clunker views on the north side (a few overlook the dumpsters), but nothing like the highway views they have on the south side. Personally, I prefer the interior rooms that overlook the pool, though it can get noisy around dinner time. If you want solitude, you might request the north-facing rooms in Building 7. They overlook the empty lot next door (dedicated green space followed by the fenced-in construction site of the stalled final phase). It's very quiet on that side and you'll have distant ocean views from all but the lowest floors.

Note that the north side does not have actual stoves, but rather a convection microwave. Keep this in mind when you're grocery shopping. (Last time I was there I bought one of those large take-home pizzas from Costco. Had to cut it in pieces to cook it.)

If you go to Costco, you might want to pack one of those reusable insulated bags that they sell now to tote refrigerated goods. Don't forget ice because housekeeping turns the auto ice makers off for some reason.

Costco is good for chairs, liquor, snacks, and meat. Oh, and those 10 pound bag of M&Ms. It's not so good for cereal, bread, etc. because they come in such big quantities. So we've abandoned going to Costco any more and just shop at the Times market just up the road from the villas.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 11:26 am

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
Deleted.

Last edited by mbreuer; Apr 7, 2011 at 11:26 am Reason: deleted.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 12:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Silver, National Emerald, Hertz Club Gold
I stayed here for my honeymoon last year in October and absolutely loved it.

It was one of the nicest hotels I ever stayed at, the weather was great, the food was great, got a upgrade since I was SPG Gold. Paid for the whole stay with points.

It was wonderful. It felt like this hotel was the nicer hotel compared to the Westin Maui.

I would definitely go back (if I had the $$$).
Old Apr 7, 2011, 7:42 pm

I just received an email offer for this property and was wondering if there were any catches, since it sounds pretty good, but please correct me if this is a normal thing.

$798 for 5 nights (excluding holidays and other unspecified dates) in a Island View studio plus either 7000 points or $75 gift certificate + $185 for a rental.

Timeshare presentation possibly? How long do those go, and what time of day do they usually occur at?
Old Apr 7, 2011, 8:29 pm

Common offer. Timeshare tour definitely NOT required, except maybe for the cert/pts. Rental car will cost you $65 in taxes.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 11:39 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Delta Plat
Originally Posted by tjbrooks
Common offer. Timeshare tour definitely NOT required, except maybe for the cert/pts. Rental car will cost you $65 in taxes.
Thats not a bad offer, how do I get a hold of them? Sign up as interested in a timeshare somewhere?
Thanks!
Old Apr 12, 2011, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by hilmar
Thats not a bad offer, how do I get a hold of them? Sign up as interested in a timeshare somewhere?
Thanks!
Sign up as interested on their site or better yet seek out an owner (TUG BBS) and see if they still have a referral system.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.