Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Ka'anapali Ocean resort villas [Master Thread]

Westin Ka'anapali Ocean resort villas [Master Thread]

Old Aug 17, 2010, 10:27 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Mahalo
I've stayed in this hotel a year ago but never used the internet access. Is this free for Platinums considering this is a "limited participation hotel" whereby Platinums don't receive any consideration for room upgrades or late checkout?

"Complimentary Internet access is available in guest rooms at all SPG hotels and resorts in 93 countries that offer Internet access. Each of our nine hotel brands participate; there are no exceptions."
This is on the property's website:

Guest Villas
View Standard Amenities and Internet access options for all room classes

In-room high speed internet access is complimentary for SPG Platinum members.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1.xMM, MAR SLV, HH DMND, IHG PLT
North Studio Villas (Bldg 6) trip report

We just got back from a 5 night stay at this property I booked two (2) separate studio rooms using 5th night free for 1 room and cash ($90 + tax) + points (4,800/nt) since I took some extended family along on the trip. The 2 studios was much cheaper than booking a 2 bed room villa for our needs.

My only request on the room was to have the rooms in the same building/floor and down the hall from each other. Hotel did great in accommodating the 2 rooms down the hall in the North Villas Bldg 6 where we had partial ocean view from the balcony of one unit and the other corner unit out the window. I was expecting to face the parking garage since I don't have SPG status and needed 2 rooms close to each other. Kudos to the team here.

They said I could check into upgrading to a 1 bed room villa later in the week but when I checked back they wanted $150 extra per night and more importantly we wouldn't be down the hall anymore...so I passed on trying to work an upgrade.

The facility is excellent and very well kept. The beach is excellent and not too busy like the Westin (hotel) Maui area. The pools are great for children especially smaller children. My toddlers had a lot of fun at the pirate ship pool.

I visited the other 2 SPG properties in Maui to see if we prefer another one later since this one is generally more expensive to purchase with $$. My impressions/opinion is:
Westin Villas - great for families and w/ young kids
Sheraton - good for families w/ middle school age + kids (water dept in pools is min 3.5'/4' so kids must be able to swim).
Westin Maui - I felt like i was in a Maui version of Waikiki beach. Definitely more geared for adults or high school age + kids in the family. Don't get me wrong; I really like Waikiki beach personally but I'd rather pay Waikiki prices. Same water dept as above in Sheraton.

There seem to be a lot of activities right at the hotel like snorkeling lessons for children.

The location is good. The Lahina Market grocery store across from the Safeway was a little better in quality than Safeway.

Internet use was free. Wireless internet was fine except starting around 6PM local time; I guess people get online before sunset since beach and pool activities become more limited. I couldn't reach the wireline internet plug from the little table so I switched to the lobby wireless internet and problem of bandwidth was solved.

The main area of improvement for this hotel is in the area of service. My main comparison is our experience at the Marriott Vacation Club in Ko Olina (time share for time share in Hawaii). In general I found minor issues when mentioned don't get addressed and require constant follow up and escalation to a supervisor before they get dealt with. Unfortunately this happened 3 times to us on a 5 night stay so my impression I am left with in this category is they need to button up their level of customer service.

For example on issue we had a shower handle that broke one late evening. We called 2 separate times in the morning and asked it be attended to while we were out in the morning at the pool. Returning to our room 6 hours later and I find no one did anything about it. A visit to the manager on duty and stressing the lack of customer service got he problem fixed right away but it shouldn't have to turn out that way.

So in summary; great facility but digest some of the lack of service. I'd return on points/cash and points again but if Ko Olina is cheaper and flights there are cheaper I can get a similar resort experience at the Marriott Vaction Club Ko Olina.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 8:20 am

Had a great stay here. I can confirm that internet is free for everyone and I (non-owner) was not charged for self parking.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 7:42 am

Programs: United 1P; Delta GM; SP Gold; AS MVPG; FPC Premier
Visitation of Other Westin Resorts While at Villas?

We stayed at the Villas last year and are going again next week. I echo the earlier comments about a wonderful facility and amenities but customer service that is no where near up to that standard. We had consistent problems with things that were minor, but when added up were really grating...Not having the room serviced at all, requesting that it be serviced in the morning so that afternoon naps wouldn't be interrupted but not getting morning service, etc...Same problems day in and day out, even after speaking to customer service multiple times...We were able to stay to for a very good price and are returning because the facilities are so great, but again, I don't understand the awful customer service on what should be routine and basic issues. We hope last time was just an outlier, but the repeated nature of the issues don't have me all that optimistic.

One question, I know the shuttle runs to the Sheraton and Maui and that as a guest at the Villas you have charge privileges at those properties, but can you use the pool at those facilities if you're staying at the Villas? I've seen inconsistent on these posts and actually heard different answers from the staff at the Villas during our last stay.

Thanks
Old Apr 3, 2011, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by joshc40
One question, I know the shuttle runs to the Sheraton and Maui and that as a guest at the Villas you have charge privileges at those properties, but can you use the pool at those facilities if you're staying at the Villas? I've seen inconsistent on these posts and actually heard different answers from the staff at the Villas during our last stay.
No reciprocal pool privileges anymore.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 1:58 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite

Thanks
Originally Posted by tjbrooks
No reciprocal pool privileges anymore.
Of course, you are able to use the pools at both the Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas and the pools next door at the Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas North.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 6:12 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
We stayed at the Villas last year and are going again next week. I echo the earlier comments about a wonderful facility and amenities but customer service that is no where near up to that standard. We had consistent problems with things that were minor, but when added up were really grating...Not having the room serviced at all, requesting that it be serviced in the morning so that afternoon naps wouldn't be interrupted but not getting morning service, etc...Same problems day in and day out, even after speaking to customer service multiple times...We were able to stay to for a very good price and are returning because the facilities are so great, but again, I don't understand the awful customer service on what should be routine and basic issues. We hope last time was just an outlier, but the repeated nature of the issues don't have me all that optimistic.
WKORV is, of course, a timeshare. And SVO properties are generally not set up for daily maid service (unless it's paid for extra or is specifically included in a rate; not so sure of what your details were). Typical is a mid-week tidy for week-long stays, and cleaning before you arrive.

That caveat aside, I noticed staying at another SVO property early in March a number of small maintenance and service issues (dead light bulbs, missing kitchen and bath items, remaining crib/high chair from the previous occupant, etc.) that not only had to reported, but had to be reported more than once to get fixed. So something may be slipping due to measures to economize.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 5:08 pm

I've seen conflicting reports about self parking fees. Some say they weren't charged while the hotel has told me self park is $7 (valet $9). Did you have to tell them you had a car when you checked in (to avoid having it towed)? I'm not an owner but am using points to stay. Thanks.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by happy2traveler202
I've seen conflicting reports about self parking fees. Some say they weren't charged while the hotel has told me self park is $7 (valet $9). Did you have to tell them you had a car when you checked in (to avoid having it towed)? I'm not an owner but am using points to stay. Thanks.
We stayed here recently as non-owners. At check-in we received a parking pass and were told it is $7 a day. However, at check-out it wasn't on the folio. I am SPG gold, but they never mentioned any benefit for that. So YMMV.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 7:09 pm

Thanks for the info. That makes sense. I'm gold as well, but have a feeling as you said, it's YMMV.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 7:58 pm

Programs: AC Elite, SPG Plat
We are not owners and were there in January and did NOT pay for parking and it was not mentioned to us. I do think I saw a sign saying that we should pay, but it was never an issue.

We had nothing but positive experiences with housekeeping requests (other than having to call twice on one occasion, not a big deal), including specific times and anything else we asked about. Our can opener didn't work and they had a new one to us in less than ten minutes.

Enjoy your stay, we can't wait to go back!

Originally Posted by BlueDog
We stayed here recently as non-owners. At check-in we received a parking pass and were told it is $7 a day. However, at check-out it wasn't on the folio. I am SPG gold, but they never mentioned any benefit for that. So YMMV.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 10:41 am

Maybe you get charged for self-parking if you are staying there on points or paying them directly for the room (like a hotel). Perhaps for those timeshare owners or exchangers (and those they rent to) there is no self-parking charge? I don't know for sure as I rented from a timeshare exchanger and was not charged for self-parking.

But yes, they do give you a parking pass thing, so you would need to let them know that you have a car.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 10:52 am

For those who have been to HI, are there any particular food or other items that were especially expensive in Maui that you recommend bringing (I know most food is more expensive than the states, but I'm wondering about particular items that are especially expensive. Thanks!
Old Apr 5, 2011, 11:44 am

Programs: AC Elite, SPG Plat
Anything that isn't local is more expensive. Snack foods, etc are certainly more. If you shop at Wal-mart or Costco you will find decent prices, but it is definitely more expensive than at home.

For those who have been to HI, are there any particular food or other items that were especially expensive in Maui that you recommend bringing (I know most food is more expensive than the states, but I'm wondering about particular items that are especially expensive. Thanks!
Old Apr 5, 2011, 1:42 pm

This question is better asked in the Hawaii forum, but to steer it back to the Westin, since you'll have at least a kitchenette, you can save a lot by bringing prep/condiment items from home.....think mustard/soy sauce/olive oil/seasonings/etc. No point buying a $6 bottle of olive oil when you only need a couple ounces. Same goes for dish/laundry soap.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.