Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Kauai Coconut Beach Resort, HI [Master Thread]

Old Jan 31, 2014, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tanic
Branding/Name changed from Courtyard to Sheraton Kaua'i Coconut Beach Resort on 9 October 2019.

Property is Cat 6 as of 3/3/21.

Resort fee: USD$36.79 incl tax per accommodation, per night (effective 9 Oct 2019)
Hotel resort fee inclusions (may be listed elsewhere in this description as complimentary or available for a surcharge):

*Beach loungers
* Fitness/yoga classes
* Sporting facilities or equipment
* Business center/computer access
* Phone calls (limited)
* Self parking for one vehicle
* Welcome amenities: free appetizer of either wings, firecracker shrimp, or shishito peppers
* Sanitizing Station consisting of UV wands and gallons of hand sanitizer

Platinums and higher get 1000 arrival points -or- $20 per person daily breakfast menu credit (up to 2 guests) in restaurant. 15% "service charge" is added.
Buffet still closed (Jul 2021)

Print Wikipost

Sheraton Kauai Coconut Beach Resort, HI [Master Thread]

Old Jun 3, 2013, 8:41 pm

Programs: HA, DL, UA, PC Gold, A/club Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Pl
I did get a BRG ..and ultimately price came down to 84$ before taxes...
Old Nov 3, 2013, 11:05 am
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
Courtyard Marriott Kauai

Way more than you would expect of a Courtyard. Good, not perfect

We stayed for 8 nights (92 priceline plus +-$15/nt parking

Perhaps a good way to use those points. It is in Kapaa, sort of midway to most stuff for sightseeing.

Give them a look on tripadvisor if you headed that way!
Old Nov 12, 2013, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Platinum Bennies

Just completed a two day stay at this property as a Plat. I had set my expectations based on reading this thread so I was surprised by all the Plat bennies that the front desk agent noted on check in:

1) Free parking for Plats. They wave the nightly fee. Note that they give everyone a tag that you place on your dashboard so I don't think trying to park without paying will work well.

2) Free Breakfast. There were two of us in the room and they gave us 2 chits for each night (4 total for two days). The chits stated that they were for the Platinum Free Breakfast which included either the full buffet or the "American" plated breakfast off the regular menu. The American was the typical two eggs + bread + breakfast meat. We had the buffet and it was quite nice with made to order omelets and home made granola.

3) Welcome lei. The FD agent gave my GF a very nice, real flower lei. Nothing spectacular, but a nice touch.

4) Welcome Mai Tais. Not sure if they offer these to everyone checking in but another nice touch.

I had booked a $139 ocean view room from a sale rate they had on-line a few months ago. This was actually a bit cheaper than booking a standard garden view room. I got what I booked which was a smallish room with a good view of the ocean. I was not offered an upgrade, but as others have noted it appears that practically all of the rooms are the same size with only a few true premium rooms. I overheard that the hotel was at 95% occupancy.

The staff was very friendly and very accomodating. I was genuinely impressed, especially with the front desk.

The fitness center was also surprisingly good for a CY property. Two treadmills, 3 bikes, 2 eliptical machines, dumbells up to 50 lbs, 2 adjustable benches, medicine balls up to 12 lbs, and a universal (cable) machine. The cardio equipment was all LifeFitness brand ^

As others have noted, the room was small and the bathroom and balcony were very small. The beach was pleasant and never crowded but not really good for swimming. There are good walks to be had along the coast.

There were a few downsides. The property is starting to show a little wear and could use a bit of paint/polish. Also, the elevators were slow so we just used the stairs most of the time.

All in all this place is a bit of a hidden gem. It's not a lavish resort, but it's well above the typical CY standard and is a good value for the price. If you set your expectations accordingly I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA ExecP
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
Just completed a two day stay at this property as a Plat. I had set my expectations based on reading this thread so I was surprised by all the Plat bennies that the front desk agent noted on check in:
I'm seeing some mixed results on the platinum benefits. Can anyone else speak to free breakfast and free parking for plats?
Old Nov 15, 2013, 1:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by flying_q
I'm seeing some mixed results on the platinum benefits. Can anyone else speak to free breakfast and free parking for plats?
The latest report is from Nov 12th, which is pretty recent.

Cheers.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
The latest report is from Nov 12th, which is pretty recent.

Cheers.
Agreed - however another report as of May 30 mentioned only points / market gift. Just wondering if anyone else had any experiences to speak of. Sometimes what can be thought of as a platinum 'amenity' turns out to be a nice FD agent.

If true, breakfast + parking makes this property even more appealing.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 3:50 pm

Agreed - however another report as of May 30 mentioned only points / market gift. Just wondering if anyone else had any experiences to speak of. Sometimes what can be thought of as a platinum 'amenity' turns out to be a nice FD agent.

If true, breakfast + parking makes this property even more appealing.
The free breakfast chits were pre-printed (multi color), specifically noting that they were for "Platinum Breakfast". The chits had spaces for the FD agent to write room number and expiration date.

The FD agent that checked me in was also quite specific that the parking fee was waived because I was Platinum.

If that's still not sufficient for you you should probably just call and ask them directly.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 12:18 pm

PHL, I've added the property to the exec lounge sticky noting the free brekkie & parking for Plats.

Cheers.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 1:29 pm

The free breakfast chits were pre-printed (multi color), specifically noting that they were for "Platinum Breakfast". The chits had spaces for the FD agent to write room number and expiration date.

The FD agent that checked me in was also quite specific that the parking fee was waived because I was Platinum.

If that's still not sufficient for you you should probably just call and ask them directly.
Thank you.

No need to be hostile. It's perfectly reasonable to ask for clarification - especially when two different plats had different experiences within months of each other.

Thank you again for the input.

Last edited by flying_q; Nov 18, 2013 at 1:37 pm
Old Nov 18, 2013, 1:57 pm

Thank you.

No need to be hostile. It's perfectly reasonable to ask for clarification - especially when two different plats had different experiences within months of each other.

Thank you again for the input.
Apologies if my tone came across as hostile. I sincerely meant it whan I said you should probably just call. Given that the changes are recent it seems reasonable to call to confirm.

Sometimes "tone of voice" doesn't come across well in the printed word.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 3:01 pm

Apologies if my tone came across as hostile. I sincerely meant it whan I said you should probably just call. Given that the changes are recent it seems reasonable to call to confirm.

Sometimes "tone of voice" doesn't come across well in the printed word.
No worries - my own fault. Anyways, looking forward to 5 nights there over New Years.

5k 'mandatory' upgrade for an Ocean View, on points - 125k for 5 nights.

Would folks stay here or the Marriott Kauai Resort for a comparative amount of points? I'd rather avoid large groups of families and kids, if possible (although I know this is the busiest time in HI). Looking for a good jumping off point to see the island, which this seems to fit.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 8:31 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, WN A-List
The property now includes a resort fee of $20 which is nickel and diming at its' best.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by owflyer
The property now includes a resort fee of $20 which is nickel and diming at its' best.
How can a CY have a 'resort' fee? I'd fight that one & ask them to show where on the Marriott website the property is listed as a resort. What does the resort fee include?

Cheers.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 1:11 pm

Programs: MR Plat
Originally Posted by owflyer
I can confirm this, very disappointing. They just added the $20/day resort fee charge to my existing reservation in May.

Is this something I can argue?
Old Jan 31, 2014, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by Globex
I can confirm this, very disappointing. They just added the $20/day resort fee charge to my existing reservation in May.

Is this something I can argue?
IME, yes. Be sure to bring a printout of your confirmation email showing no resort fee. They should waive the fee based on your booking before the fee was added.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.