Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Buenos Aires Convention Center, Argentina [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Buenos Aires Convention Center, Argentina [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2017, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
I usually stay at the Park Tower, but just checked in today for first stay. Will report back tomorrow, but so far got a suite upgrade, so it's a start....we'll see what the wine situation is in the lounge tonight...
Old Aug 18, 2017, 7:03 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Stayed at this hotel on a business trip during my first time in BA.

Overall, it's fine for a business trip. Perfectly in line with the many once-grand, now-tired old Sheratons that dot major cities around the developing world. Rooms are fine, clean and comfortable, but could really use a renovation, especially in the bathroom.

Club breakfast is pretty extensive -- small but good buffet, and a few fresh-made options apparently available to order, though I didn't try them and the staff weren't too proactive in offering the option. The buffet area gets crowded but there is enough seating.

In the evening, the spread is reasonably good. A few people have complained about it being limited, which may be because there are a couple of different phases of the evening food offering -- a more extensive spread is put out only at 7pm. It's enough to make a small meal if you wanted, though maybe not a terribly healthy one. Wine is free after 7pm (until 9pm I think) and served by the waitstaff, but we were told beer is charged.

One unusual feature, I'm not sure why exactly but the two SPG Gold members in our group were given Club access. They didn't have the SPG Business Amex or any other distinguishing features that might explain it, so while I wouldn't count on it, there is a chance other SPG Golds may receive the same.

Gym is well-equipped, but does get busy. There are indoor and outdoor pools and tennis courts.

Didn't do a ton of exploring BA while here on business but general impression is that the location is okay, but maybe not the best. Subte is available across the street at Retiro station. Taxis are readily available and fairly cheap, and all know where to go when you ask for the "Sheraton Retiro" on the way back to the hotel.

But, BA has a set of massive boulevards and then much smaller and more charming neighborhood streets, and the area around this hotel is all 10-lane roads (which can at times be harrowing to cross). We didn't have any trouble but as other posters have mentioned there is also a reputed-to-be-dangerous shantytown very close by, behind the train station, which may be mildly concerning. Walking around the area near the hotel after dark is probably not a good idea, and walking around the area north of the hotel should be strictly avoided.

I should also mention that despite what I have read and heard many places, across a dozen or more rides I found taxi drivers in BA to be perfectly honest and never had any trouble with any of them trying to skip using the meter or with any other scams. But, from comparing prices with those mentioned in some older reviews it sounds like taxis may now be a good deal more expensive than they once were, so perhaps the incentive to rip passengers off is less than it was. Typical taxi rides around town were in the US$5-15 price range, which is cheaper than in the US, but not a steal. Uber is also available (UberX only) but doesn't seem to be widely used; wait times for cars were often in the 5-10 minute range or more. Most taxis and Ubers are very small cars so for the long ride to/from EZE it may be worth considering booking a car with the hotel for a bit more space and comfort.

And one more tip, I often like to try to travel without getting any foreign cash out of the ATM if possible, but BA really isn't a place where you can do that, both because of the lack of Ubers and also because it seems most, if not all, restaurants that take credit cards accept tips in cash only. There is an ATM in the Sheraton lobby but note it charges a high transaction fee (around 100 pesos).

I'm also visiting BA on vacation later thias year and staying at a few of the nicer hotels in the city, so will report back how those compare.

Last edited by bgriff; Aug 18, 2017 at 7:09 am
Old Sep 28, 2017, 9:48 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
Would it be right to say that this is a safer location than the Sheraton Libertador?
Old Sep 28, 2017, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Isochronous
Would it be right to say that this is a safer location than the Sheraton Libertador?
Perhaps marginally. The main streets around the Libertador are fine at all hours, and even some of the side streets are now well-lit. I was just by there on foot a couple of hours ago (i.e,, about 11 pm) without any hesitation.

If you wander the wrong way (i.e., behind the Retiro train station) from the main Sheraton, you could end up in one of the worst parts of the entire capital.

Nonetheless, if you're completely unfamiliar with the area, and are going between neighborhoods at night, you should be taking a taxi to/from your hotel doorstep.
craigthemif likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
I had the dubious pleasure of staying here. Apparently Argentinian hotel inspections and ratings are completely misaligned with what one might expect in most other countries, as this "official 5-star rated" property is most nothing of the sort.

I elected to stay here to top off my year end Bonvoy night earnings. I have Platinum status and uses the Bonvoy app to check in.

Despite not arriving until 8:30pm at the property, there was no notification in the app that my room was assigned or ready, and after standing in line at the front desk, they at first had trouble even locating my reservation. I ended up having to give them the confirmation number from the reservation in the app, and after a 15 minute delay I got my room key.

There was not even an attempt to offer some kind of preferred room, let alone an upgrade. When I asked I was told the hotel and air conditioning issues and no other rooms were available "at this late part of the evening" so I headed off to my low floor entry level classic room.

The room quality was pretty terrible. Most basic US motel chains offer higher standards of accommodation. The furnishings and decor weren't just old and tired, I actually had wooden panelling hanging off the closet with sharp nails protruding. The one lonesome chair in the room was so worn out, the springs and upholstery had collapsed, so it was actually painful to sit on it.

I was too late for the Sheraton Club lounge offering on arrival and slept late and skipped breakfast, however the lounge did have some pastries, juice and coffee for late risers which was something. The lounge is ok, if a bit small for a property of this size.

I asked reception for Platinum late check out. This was denied. Upon speaking to a front desk supervisor, I was informed that this property is a convention property and is excluded from providing any of those Bonvoy guaranteed benefits. I wasn't even able to negotiate a 90 minute extension, pretty pathetic.

Overall this hotel has poor quality, dilapidated motel style rooms, and Bonvoy elite members should be aware that room upgrades, late check out etc are unlikely here.

There are so many great hotels in BA, and so many fantastic places to eat at such a reasonable cost, I could never justify staying here at this property again. Forget the miles and weak benefits, and look elsewhere. One of the worst Sheraton properties I've stayed in a long time, the "5-star" rating for this dated and dilapidated hotel makes a mockery of Argentina's hotel rating system.

Old Dec 17, 2019, 1:54 pm
Company Representative, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by SamuelS
I had the dubious pleasure of staying here. Apparently Argentinian hotel inspections and ratings are completely misaligned with what one might expect in most other countries, as this "official 5-star rated" property is most nothing of the sort.

I elected to stay here to top off my year end Bonvoy night earnings. I have Platinum status and uses the Bonvoy app to check in.

Despite not arriving until 8:30pm at the property, there was no notification in the app that my room was assigned or ready, and after standing in line at the front desk, they at first had trouble even locating my reservation. I ended up having to give them the confirmation number from the reservation in the app, and after a 15 minute delay I got my room key.

There was not even an attempt to offer some kind of preferred room, let alone an upgrade. When I asked I was told the hotel and air conditioning issues and no other rooms were available "at this late part of the evening" so I headed off to my low floor entry level classic room.

The room quality was pretty terrible. Most basic US motel chains offer higher standards of accommodation. The furnishings and decor weren't just old and tired, I actually had wooden panelling hanging off the closet with sharp nails protruding. The one lonesome chair in the room was so worn out, the springs and upholstery had collapsed, so it was actually painful to sit on it.

I was too late for the Sheraton Club lounge offering on arrival and slept late and skipped breakfast, however the lounge did have some pastries, juice and coffee for late risers which was something. The lounge is ok, if a bit small for a property of this size.

I asked reception for Platinum late check out. This was denied. Upon speaking to a front desk supervisor, I was informed that this property is a convention property and is excluded from providing any of those Bonvoy guaranteed benefits. I wasn't even able to negotiate a 90 minute extension, pretty pathetic.

Overall this hotel has poor quality, dilapidated motel style rooms, and Bonvoy elite members should be aware that room upgrades, late check out etc are unlikely here.

There are so many great hotels in BA, and so many fantastic places to eat at such a reasonable cost, I could never justify staying here at this property again. Forget the miles and weak benefits, and look elsewhere. One of the worst Sheraton properties I've stayed in a long time, the "5-star" rating for this dated and dilapidated hotel makes a mockery of Argentina's hotel rating system.

Hello Samuel, I'm so sorry to hear about your experience here, and would like to follow up. If you send a Private Message, or email us at [email protected] with your full name, Marriott Bonvoy number, and reservation confirmation number, we'll get in touch with the hotel's executive management.

Thanks!

Robert V.
Social Media Liaison

Last edited by Marriott Bonvoy Lurker; Dec 17, 2019 at 1:55 pm Reason: spelling
Old May 1, 2023, 10:29 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
Thread has been dormant since 2019.
Any recent stays ?
Old May 1, 2023, 5:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
We stayed there in March and April. Nice location and comfortable hotel. Lounge and breakfast are decent. The only issue I had was that their reservation system didn't have our most recent reservation - they only had a previously canceled one, but it eventually got worked out.
est-gratuite likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.