Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in San Francisco

Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wcj1
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.

Below is a list of hotels Marriott has listed for San Francisco. Where there is a specific "Master" threads for a hotel, the name is a link to that thread:

Luxury:
St Regis San Francisco
Ritz Carlton San Francisco

Full Service:
W Hotel San Francisco
JW Marriott Union Square San Francisco
San Francisco Marriott Union Square
San Francisco Marriott Marquis
San Francisco Marriott Fisherman's Wharf
Marriott SoMA Mission Bay [San Francisco]
[GONE] Park Central (was Westin Market Street) San Francisco (rebranded as Hyatt)
Westin St. Francis, San Francisco
Westin SFO San Francisco Airport
Palace Hotel, San Francisco
Le Meridien Hotel San Francisco
San Francisco Proper, Design Hotel
Adagio Hotel, Autograph Collection (San Francisco, CA)
[GONE] Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf, San Francisco (re-branded as Riu Plaza San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf as of 12NOV19 - see post 134 in thread)
AC Hotel San Francisco Airport/Oyster Point Waterfront

Limited Service:
Courtyard San Francisco Downtown/Van Ness Ave
Courtyard San Francisco Union Square
Courtyard San Francisco Airport/Oyster Point Waterfront
Courtyard San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf
Courtyard San Francisco Downtown
Four Points by Sheraton SFO San Francisco Airport
aloft San Francisco Airport (Millbrae) SFO

Extended Stay:
Residence Inn San Francisco Airport/Oyster Point Waterfront

Timeshare:
Marriott Vacation Club Pulse, San Francisco

Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in San Francisco

Old Aug 15, 2019, 7:45 am

Programs: Ritz Carlton
I am currently looking to book 2 nights in SF via points and SNA. As almost all of them are Cat6/Cat7, I don't mind which one to go to point-wise. Which one would you guys recommend in terms of Benefits for a Titanium Elite (regarding Breakfast, Lounge, etc.), and for SNA awards? Are any Spa's included in any of them?
Old Aug 15, 2019, 8:05 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
We recently vacationed in San Francisco, spread over 5 different Marriott properties. SNA's were requested, but denied at all. The only full Titanium recognition was at the Marquis - a wonderful hotel with a great lounge that I would gladly stay at again. No upgrades at any other and only token recognition, including breakfast vouchers at one, $20 daily food credit at another and the ubiquitous 1000 points at another. Our final stay included lounge access, but evening food and beverage service was "pay-as-you-go" at prices higher than the hotel bar next to the lounge for the same items in a much more pleasant environment. Effectively only breakfast was actually included.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 8:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by yyzflyer
the Marquis - a wonderful hotel
Not sure I've ever seen those words together in a single sentence.
markko and WillBarrett_68 like this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 8:25 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by beone
I am currently looking to book 2 nights in SF via points and SNA. As almost all of them are Cat6/Cat7, I don't mind which one to go to point-wise. Which one would you guys recommend in terms of Benefits for a Titanium Elite (regarding Breakfast, Lounge, etc.), and for SNA awards? Are any Spa's included in any of them?
As far as I know, the only Marriott hotels in SF with spas are the St. Regis and Ritz—coincidentally, the two Cat 7 properties. Between those two, elite recognition will almost certainly be better at the St. Regis, given that there is limited elite recognition at Ritz Carlton's. With regards to the St. Regis, you might want to look into a Luxury Privileges rate (booked through an affiliated agent). The rate is equal to the BAR but usually comes with some sort of credit—a lot of times it's a F&B credit, but sometimes it's a spa credit. (Nvm, you're using points.)

With regards to the Cat 6 properties, if you absolutely want a lounge, one of the Marriotts (Marquis, Union Square, or JWM) will probably the way to go (although I think the JWM's lounge is closed on weekends). Of those three, I might actually choose the Marquis for the location, and the lounge at the Marquis is probably the best of the three. Personally, I would probably go with either the Meridien or the Palace. The elite recognition at the Meridien is usually quite good (I usually get at least a studio suite), and breakfast in the restaurant is good (it's a continental breakfast or $16 towards anything on the menu). The elite recognition at the Palace is probably not as great in terms of getting room upgrades, although I don't know if using an SNA will change things. In my opinion, breakfast in Palm Court is a treat (and you can upgrade from the continental to the full buffet for a few dollars); you can also use the breakfast benefit for in-room dining in my experience.
andrewstahl likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 9:33 am

Marriott Marquis

Originally Posted by Kacee
Not sure I've ever seen those words together in a single sentence.
I know there were mixed reviews on this place and was hesitant to book. However, treatment from check-in to check-out - where a manager shook my hand and thanked me for staying, was second to none. Upgraded to a large, newly renovated "view" room without SNA clearing and the M-Lounge was the best I've encountered to date in North America. Full dinner was served, top-shelf wine was reasonably priced and seating layout was excellent given it being quite full. Breakfast also very complete and high quality. We stayed one night, but wished it had been longer. They even sent us back to our airport hotel in their limo for less than we'd paid for Supershuttle to get into town in the first place.

Of the five properties we used in SF this was the only one that didn't "nickel-and-dime" on elite benefits. YMMV.
Kacee likes this.

Last edited by yyzflyer; Aug 15, 2019 at 9:36 am Reason: clarification
Old Aug 15, 2019, 2:02 pm

I've stayed at nearly every bonvoy property in SF, and I've honestly never felt nickled-and-dimed though admittedly I'm not trying to max out every benefit so I may have been squeezed on something I haven't realized. The lounge at the Marquis is definitely nice and easily the best in SF. But I still dislike the property overall. It's just soooooo big. It feels like being lost in a warehouse.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 2:27 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The demand for hotel rooms is so high in SF these days, the properties have little need to go the extra mile for elites. I also think that, much like NYC, the properties are simply overwhelmed by the number of elites. I saw a lounge access list at JW on a Saturday morning that was two pages long in tiny print. (JW btw was a property that I felt made little effort. The property has great bones (originally Pan Pacific) and it's a shame it's now run as a convention mill.)

That said, I've felt LM and W have treated me well in recent stays.

And points are a great value when the room rates climb above $600 a night, as they frequently do these days.
andrewstahl likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 11:39 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by beone
I just checked out of the Palace this morning. I stay there usually once a month. Most of my stays are weekdays on my corporate rate. I usually get upgraded and this current stay was an upgrade to a two room suite. I never use SNA’s or ask for an upgrade but I am Ambassador level.The breakfast is great but I rarely eat there because of work commitments.
flyingeph12 and bhrubin like this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 12:31 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton LT Diamond, AA LT Platinum
Originally Posted by yyzflyer
They even sent us back to our airport hotel in their limo for less than we'd paid for Supershuttle to get into town in the first place.
I was very surprised to read the above. To be clear: Are you really talking about the SF Marquis - that they have a limo to transport guests around?? I know the Ritz and St. Regis have limos that will take guests only a short distance. It is hard to believe the Marquis will take you to the SF Airport. Maybe you are talking about a different hotel because the name of the hotel was not in the post I quote from, but referenced another posting.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HookEm

I was very surprised to read the above. To be clear: Are you really talking about the SF Marquis - that they have a limo to transport guests around?? I know the Ritz and St. Regis have limos that will take guests only a short distance. It is hard to believe the Marquis will take you to the SF Airport. Maybe you are talking about a different hotel because the name of the hotel was not in the post I quote from, but referenced another posting.
If it's not otherwise occupied, why wouldn't they accept payment for a ride to the airport?
Old Aug 16, 2019, 1:20 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by andrewstahl

I just checked out of the Palace this morning. I stay there usually once a month. Most of my stays are weekdays on my corporate rate. I usually get upgraded and this current stay was an upgrade to a two room suite. I never use SNA’s or ask for an upgrade but I am Ambassador level.The breakfast is great but I rarely eat there because of work commitments.
I need to learn what you're doing—I guess it's because you're an Ambassador and I'm only Titanium. I usually get upgraded to a deluxe or grand deluxe, and once to a junior suite.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 3:37 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
I need to learn what you're doing—I guess it's because you're an Ambassador and I'm only Titanium. I usually get upgraded to a deluxe or grand deluxe, and once to a junior suite.
Repeat guests have a lot of value to any hotel; repeat Ambassador guests have probably the highest priority value to any hotel short of a true celebrity guest.

Ambassador status alone usually means I'm treated like a VIP guest at almost every luxury brand hotel where I stay. Premium brands do it almost as well, but (not surprisingly) not as well as the luxury brand hotels on average.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by HookEm

I don't make mistakes like that. It was definitely the Marquis; they had two SUV limos - a Caddy and a Suburban parked curbside. I asked the bellman to summon a taxi for the ride to the Airport Marriott and he said "why not take our limo for the same price?". We did and it was very nice. It was not free, but only slightly more than the SuperShuttle we'd used to get downtown at the start of the trip - so very comparable to a taxi for the same distance.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 1:54 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
The Marquis has been undergoing significant renovations, so it may be better than many remember (not sure if the renovations are finished).
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by Adelphos
The Marquis has been undergoing significant renovations
Demolition would be nice
WillBarrett_68 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.