Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in San Francisco

Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wcj1
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.

Below is a list of hotels Marriott has listed for San Francisco. Where there is a specific "Master" threads for a hotel, the name is a link to that thread:

Luxury:
St Regis San Francisco
Ritz Carlton San Francisco

Full Service:
W Hotel San Francisco
JW Marriott Union Square San Francisco
San Francisco Marriott Union Square
San Francisco Marriott Marquis
San Francisco Marriott Fisherman's Wharf
Marriott SoMA Mission Bay [San Francisco]
[GONE] Park Central (was Westin Market Street) San Francisco (rebranded as Hyatt)
Westin St. Francis, San Francisco
Westin SFO San Francisco Airport
Palace Hotel, San Francisco
Le Meridien Hotel San Francisco
San Francisco Proper, Design Hotel
Adagio Hotel, Autograph Collection (San Francisco, CA)
[GONE] Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf, San Francisco (re-branded as Riu Plaza San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf as of 12NOV19 - see post 134 in thread)
AC Hotel San Francisco Airport/Oyster Point Waterfront

Limited Service:
Courtyard San Francisco Downtown/Van Ness Ave
Courtyard San Francisco Union Square
Courtyard San Francisco Airport/Oyster Point Waterfront
Courtyard San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf
Courtyard San Francisco Downtown
Four Points by Sheraton SFO San Francisco Airport
aloft San Francisco Airport (Millbrae) SFO

Extended Stay:
Residence Inn San Francisco Airport/Oyster Point Waterfront

Timeshare:
Marriott Vacation Club Pulse, San Francisco

Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in San Francisco

Old Jul 25, 2018, 1:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Well this thread has gone off in the weeds. OP, suggest you take a look at this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...ncisco-47.html

There's basically no clear winner among the Marriotts in SF.

Originally Posted by jbandy10
Isn't 75K spend required for Platinum on those cards though?
Yes.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Isn't 75K spend required for Platinum on those cards though?
Yes, sorry, I had Hilton on the brain. Their card comes with Diamond out of the box. Diamond is good for breakfast but, sadly, not much else.

Don't forget to consider the Starwood lineup in SF. I would think they'd have a few good properties.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 4:23 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by joshua362
Not over a weekend though, I got burned that way last year, new. Stayed there twice, 5 nights each and was not impressed. As a PLT premier no less.
I have been on both sides of this. With an upgrade and during the week the hotel is very good but on the weekends or without and upgrade not as much. Twice the upgrade was to this huge two room great suite with the bathroom in its own back hallway. But what I do not like about the property is there are no views and not much sunlight because of the surrounding buildings.

The Union Square FS has become my favorite property in that area. They have always given me an upgrade to a very sunny corner room. Given they have always had the suite available, and I think they have four of these corner rooms per floor, even as a Gold you may still get and UG. You walk into a small vestibule. Straight ahead is the dressing area and bathroom with its own floor-to-ceiling window, bringing in lots of natural light. To the right is the room, which is extremely quiet as there are no hallway walls. Because there are no buildings against the hotel on a couple sides the rooms have more sunlight and better views than the JW. The hotel does not have a huge lobby but IIRC I did get breakfast in the restaurant on the weekend. Sometimes the hotels blend together for me but I am having a pretty clear memory of the restaurant at that hotel and eating breakfast there.

Last edited by CJKatl; Jul 25, 2018 at 4:32 pm
Old Jul 25, 2018, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
Yes, sorry, I had Hilton on the brain. Their card comes with Diamond out of the box. Diamond is good for breakfast but, sadly, not much else.

Don't forget to consider the Starwood lineup in SF. I would think they'd have a few good properties.
I do have Hilton Diamond and a good amount of points as well, but from what I gather, the SF Hilton properties are all very much meh.

SPG is of course on the table post-merger.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 9:07 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by cruisr
Gold Elite will become dirt elite after August 1.
18 August.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 1:08 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by joshua362
Not over a weekend though, I got burned that way last year, new. Stayed there twice, 5 nights each and was not impressed. As a PLT premier no less.
We got vouchers for the restaurant as we had booked club access. This was before the days of gold members getting breakfast - the year before when we were in Boston (again having booked club access) we got vouchers to spend at the onsite Starbucks.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 3:20 am

Programs: Some...
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
18 August.
beaten...
Old Jul 26, 2018, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I do have Hilton Diamond and a good amount of points as well, but from what I gather, the SF Hilton properties are all very much meh.

SPG is of course on the table post-merger.
Indeed, the Hiltons are kind of meh. I've stayed at the Union Square one - adequate hotel, not particularly memorable. Nothing bad happened...it was just a regular Hilton.

On the plus side, there's this: Hilton has devalued their program to hell, making San Francisco a comparatively high-value place to use points. Marriott still has a more sensible category structure that makes redeeming points in lower- and medium-cost markets somewhat attractive. In Hilton, the best place to spend points is now at the very high end, because property caps for awards are still in place.

$100/nt Hampton Inns in Iowa are 30-40k points. The FS Hiltons in San Francisco are 55-60k, even when all decent rooms in town are $500/nt.

So for an SF stay with Diamond status, I'd be very tempted to spend my 240k HH there and save my Marriott points for another day. It's hard to find high-value places to burn HH anymore, whereas you can still find many good uses for Marriott points even post-merger.

And it's also a town where *not* having a breakfast benefit can have substantial cost, assuming you'd still want to get a decent breakfast if you didn't have it via status.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
Has anyone stayed at the Courtyard downtown recently? If so, has anyone had a suite and knows if the layout of this room? Im interrested in staying here but only if the sofa bed is not in the main bedroom but in the living room. The hotel pictures looks good after the renovation. Do they treat elites well? Im looking at this property because its got an indoor pool area.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 2:02 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Muerz
Has anyone stayed at the Courtyard downtown recently? If so, has anyone had a suite and knows if the layout of this room? Im interrested in staying here but only if the sofa bed is not in the main bedroom but in the living room. The hotel pictures looks good after the renovation. Do they treat elites well? Im looking at this property because its got an indoor pool area.
I'm not even seeing where you can make a reservation since it hasn't opened yet...do you mean Union Square and not downtown?
Old Dec 15, 2018, 2:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I'm not even seeing where you can make a reservation since it hasn't opened yet...do you mean Union Square and not downtown?
It has been open since almost 20 years 😜
https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...isco-downtown/
Old Dec 15, 2018, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by Muerz

It has been open since almost 20 years 😜
https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...isco-downtown/
My mistake! I only scrolled down far enough to see the Courtyard Downtown/Van Ness. Now that's not going to cause any confusion with names!
Old Dec 15, 2018, 3:00 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
My mistake! I only scrolled down far enough to see the Courtyard Downtown/Van Ness. Now that's not going to cause any confusion with names!
Marriott's mistake, because that's not downtown. "South of Market" would be most accurate. Traditionally "downtown" was synonymous with "Union Square." But there's been lots of fudging on the traditional neighborhood names in recent years, with misnomers like "lower nob hill" (tenderloin) or "lower pacific heights" (western addition).
Old Dec 15, 2018, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Marriott's mistake, because that's not downtown. "South of Market" would be most accurate. Traditionally "downtown" was synonymous with "Union Square." But there's been lots of fudging on the traditional neighborhood names in recent years, with misnomers like "lower nob hill" (tenderloin) or "lower pacific heights" (western addition).
I think Best Western has the right idea - give every hotel a unique name, and let the customer try and figure out where it is!

But I agree that CY is not where I'd consider to be downtown...but it does have a pool...hmmm...(sad that the Marquis got rid of theirs, after climbing those hills it felt good).
Old Dec 15, 2018, 7:52 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
I've stayed at the downtown courtyard a couple of times, though not in over a year. it's ... extremely unremarkable, I can just barely remember my stays there (it's memorable because of the AT&T building katty cornered from it which features a NSA black site* and because of the marine fireman's union building nearby which features a fantastic facade).

In my book, "extremely unremarkable" is good. No particular elite butt-kissing that I can remember. Just seemed like a competent hotel.

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Room_641A

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.