Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in San Francisco

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wcj1
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.

Below is a list of hotels Marriott has listed for San Francisco. Where there is a specific "Master" threads for a hotel, the name is a link to that thread:

Luxury:
St Regis San Francisco
Ritz Carlton San Francisco

Full Service:
W Hotel San Francisco
JW Marriott Union Square San Francisco
San Francisco Marriott Union Square
San Francisco Marriott Marquis
San Francisco Marriott Fisherman's Wharf
Marriott SoMA Mission Bay [San Francisco]
[GONE] Park Central (was Westin Market Street) San Francisco (rebranded as Hyatt)
Westin St. Francis, San Francisco
Westin SFO San Francisco Airport
Palace Hotel, San Francisco
Le Meridien Hotel San Francisco
San Francisco Proper, Design Hotel
Adagio Hotel, Autograph Collection (San Francisco, CA)
[GONE] Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf, San Francisco (re-branded as Riu Plaza San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf as of 12NOV19 - see post 134 in thread)
AC Hotel San Francisco Airport/Oyster Point Waterfront

Limited Service:
Courtyard San Francisco Downtown/Van Ness Ave
Courtyard San Francisco Union Square
Courtyard San Francisco Airport/Oyster Point Waterfront
Courtyard San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf
Courtyard San Francisco Downtown
Four Points by Sheraton SFO San Francisco Airport
aloft San Francisco Airport (Millbrae) SFO

Extended Stay:
Residence Inn San Francisco Airport/Oyster Point Waterfront

Timeshare:
Marriott Vacation Club Pulse, San Francisco

Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in San Francisco

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2019, 1:54 pm

Of those, the Westin and the Union Square Marriott/JW are a longer walk to Moscone, but yes, only the JW and the Marriott have lounges.

I haven't had the breakfast at any of those properties myself but I have stopped in the JW lounge for coffee in the morning and the breakfast there isn't anything special. The usual bacon/eggs/breads spread.

If you like walking around the city and don't mind the noise and sea of humanity of the union square area, those properties are all fine. The Palace and St Regis will be nicer overall (hopefully others will be able to fill you in on their breakfast benefit).
kerrigjl likes this.
Old May 20, 2019, 2:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
Recent San Francisco stays

Just spent the past week in San Fran, with stays at 4 Marriott properties. Here's a couple of notes that may assist others in deciding which ones work best for their needs.

Marriott Fisherman's Wharf - Very nice hotel, excellent location. No lounge as others have noted. Parking super-expensive and valet-only. Titanium gift was 1K points, which didn't post with rest of folio. Hmm. Restaurant/bar is very unwelcoming (IKEA cafeteria furniture), but food is great. Service varies widely. Hotel is walking distance to major touristy stuff.

Courtyard "Downtown" on 2nd. St. - Booked this to be close to ballpark (walking distance). Hotel is under serious construction, but rooms are done and are beautiful. Very limited valet-only parking. Temporary lobby and restaurant/bar packed into south-side entrance to hotel (off Folsom). No Titanium gift - just $10 per day food coupon. Hotel does not serve breakfast, but food and service in evening are excellent based on space they have to work with. We booked for 35K points/night; it's now 50K as it transitions to Autograph once reno completed.

Marriott Marquis - Loved this place, although lobby is big and impersonal. Every staff member encountered had great attitude. Upgraded to corner room from very base rate. Parking $79/day. M-lounge one of the best I've ever seen, with huge seating area. Full dinner served and breakfast outstanding. Wine machine accessed by swiping your key, doesn't measure properly, but they know about problem and top you up if you mention it. Not cheap though. No beer or other spirits served. Titanium gift was 1K points, which posted with folio.

Airport Marriott Waterfront - Least impressive stay of week, but necessary. Nice airport view, but the room was average. M-lounge okay, but very limited food with a-la-carte menus on every table to order real food. Not cheap. Wine machine not self-serve at this location and way more expensive than same machine at Marquis. In fact for the price of 2 glasses of wine in the lounge you could get a whole bottle of the same wine at the bar just outside the door, which is exactly what we did. It was packed, with great view, big-screen sports and very attentive service. In contrast, M-lounge has no view, less accommodating seating (with no power ports) and expensive disappointing food and beverages. I'd consider the adjacent Westin the next time. Welcome gift was 1K points, which have yet to post.

Question: Is 1K points, that don't post, the standard Titanium gift these days? Kinda miss the older options.

Last edited by yyzflyer; May 20, 2019 at 2:48 pm Reason: spacing
Old May 20, 2019, 9:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by kerrigjl
Headed to SF in September for a conference at Moscone and, through the conference, have a few options... Westin St. Francis for $339, St. Regis for $565, Park Central for $339, Palace for $411, Marriott Union Square for $369, and JW Union Square for $399.
I would not want to walk back and forth from Union Square (Marriott or JW) to Moscone; it's not that far but you'll be dodging tourists and street people the whole way. I'd pick StR or W just based on location. Both have good breakfasts. Neither has a lounge, though W will give you an allowance for cocktails.
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
I haven't had the breakfast at any of those properties myself but I have stopped in the JW lounge for coffee in the morning and the breakfast there isn't anything special. The usual bacon/eggs/breads spread.
The JW lounge sucks.
Old May 27, 2019, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro (LT Gold), Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium, National Exec,Hyatt,Melia, BA Exec, Iberia+
Just stayed at the Le Meridien San Francisco for a night over Memorial Day Weekend. Great rate of $155 - only one other Marriott Bonvoy property in the city was cheaper, one of the Courtyards was $5 less. As Titanium, I was upgraded to a beautiful corner suite with a balcony that had excellent views. I was impressed with the property and service. Fitness center was very nice, and while I didn't use this since only there for a night, they have a program offering to launder gym clothes for free, drop-off at 10am and return by 4pm (only clothes, not shoes). I was given 4pm checkout, no problem.
Old May 27, 2019, 7:11 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by spainlover
Just stayed at the Le Meridien San Francisco for a night over Memorial Day Weekend. Great rate of $155 - only one other Marriott Bonvoy property in the city was cheaper, one of the Courtyards was $5 less. As Titanium, I was upgraded to a beautiful corner suite with a balcony that had excellent views.
This may be the best property in the US for Platinum suite upgrades.
spainlover and WillBarrett_68 like this.
Old May 27, 2019, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Some recent stays as LT Titanium:
Adagio
Plated breakfast is fine, rooms are pretty large, TV's and channels are great, no coffee maker in room but free coffee in area behind lobby.
Sheraton FIsherman's Wharf
I used/wasted SNA's here because I am sensitive to ventilation noise and this hotel has those under window Heat/AC units like an old Fairfield Inn. Thus I could use the unit in the room I was not in, and minimize the noise. Full Breakfast Buffet. Suite had Fridge and Microwave and around corner from Safeway and Trader Joe's so all set for snacking.
Palace
Very nice historic, fast elevators, nice staff, I used opentable to make my breakfast reservations at the Garden Court each morning. Didn't really need to do so as it was not crowded when I was there but got 100 Open Table Points each time. Free continental buffet for Titanium. $7 upcharge for hot items. Lox and other fish included in continental looked pretty fancy but I don't like fish so skipped it and had a fine Salami, Ham and cheese sandwich and a bunch of freshly cut fruit. OJ and Coffee included in continental.
bhrubin likes this.
Old May 29, 2019, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
Park Central - great breakfast

Just wrapped up a stay at Park Central San Francisco. No upgrade to a larger room or suite, but I was there one night and alone so didn’t ask. I was assigned a room on a high floor with a very nice view. Room was “ok” and reminiscent of an old Four Points. There were no working plugs or USB ports by the bed — super frustrating. Bathroom amenities were awful (thankfully had brought my own Le Labo from recent Park Hyatt stay).

Fitness center was average-to-good. A little small and wedged in a corner of the building. But they had all the essentials including free weights, Peleton bikes, etc.

Other than location, where this hotel shined is the Titanium breakfast. I was given a piece of paper entitling me to a full buffet breakfast. The buffet was great, including Chefs Special eggs, which were scrambled with peppers, spinach and mushrooms, and sides of chicken apple sausage. The coupon explicitly stated that tip and tax were included. They also had great muesli and good fruit options. Oatmeal, congee, European style cold cuts and cheese, lots of breads. For this alone, I might return to this property.

Old May 29, 2019, 6:46 pm

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
Agree Park Central’s strength is breakfast. The fitness center sucks, but not much more than other SF hotels (ever stayed at the Taj?). I don’t like the common areas at all; I find the lobby very uninviting.

This property is extremely stingy on upgrades. As an Ambassador Elite who has spent probably over 100 nights there on around 30 stays ranging from 1-7 nights each, I’ve had a true suite for exactly 1 night, which happened to be my most recent stay.

I do not consider this hotel suitable for a recreational stay, but as a business hotel a short walk from my SF office, it is usually my best within-policy option.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 6:11 am
kkl

Please recommend a property for first time visitor to SF as a platinum. Location and breakfast be important
Old Jun 14, 2019, 7:22 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by acrophobia
Agree Park Central’s strength is breakfast.

This property is extremely stingy on upgrades. As an Ambassador Elite who has spent probably over 100 nights there on around 30 stays ranging from 1-7 nights each, I’ve had a true suite for exactly 1 night, which happened to be my most recent stay.
I always refer people to the proportion of suites at a hotel to get a better understanding for why some don’t provide more upgrades.

In the case of the Park Central, there are only 22 suites in a hotel with 659 total rooms. That’s a very paltry 3%. Assuming even only half those are considered specialty suites, the remaining 11 suites leaves only a 1.5% chance at any upgrade. That’s also assuming no one outright paid for any of those only 22 suites.
MDtR-Chicago and andrewstahl like this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by kkl
Please recommend a property for first time visitor to SF as a platinum. Location and breakfast be important
location... relative to what? Do you have an agenda? How many nights? What are you doing???
Old Jun 16, 2019, 10:16 am
kkl

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
location... relative to what? Do you have an agenda? How many nights? What are you doing???
5 nights award stay, no agenda no plans.

Tourist sights
Old Jun 16, 2019, 12:31 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by kkl

5 nights award stay, no agenda no plans.

Tourist sights
Do you have a budget with regards to points? SF doesn’t really offer good value for points in my opinion. Pretty much any centrally located hotel, good for a first time visitor, will be 50,000 points per night. If you are using points, I would probably recommend either the Palace or St. Regis. I haven’t stayed at the Ritz, but it’s location is worse than the St. Regis in my opinion.

Now if you are willing to stay outside of San Francisco and take BART into the city, you might look at Oakland (the Marriott Oakland City Center is a decent deal at 35k/night, although the lounge breakfast is weak). If you are willing to go out even farther, the Renaissance in Walnut Creek is 25k/night, is across the street from BART, and in my opinion is a nice hotel (with a particularly nice gym), but Walnut Creek is about a 40 min BART ride into the city. You would also be going in the direction of commuters so avoid rush hours in the morning and evening unless you are used to super crowded trains.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
SF doesn’t really offer good value for points in my opinion. Pretty much any centrally located hotel, good for a first time visitor, will be 50,000 points per night.
Points absolutely offer value when cash rates are all in the $750+ per night range (as is not uncommon these days). When they're in the $200-300 range (which also happens), not such a great value.
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
Now if you are willing to stay outside of San Francisco and take BART into the city, you might look at Oakland (the Marriott Oakland City Center is a decent deal at 35k/night, although the lounge breakfast is weak). If you are willing to go out even farther, the Renaissance in Walnut Creek is 25k/night, is across the street from BART, and in my opinion is a nice hotel (with a particularly nice gym), but Walnut Creek is about a 40 min BART ride into the city. You would also be going in the direction of commuters so avoid rush hours in the morning and evening unless you are used to super crowded trains.
I would definitely not recommend Walnut Creek for a tourist. Oakland maybe, depending on interests. OP really hasn't provided enough info to make a meaningful recommendation among the SF properties. Personally I like LM and W best, but it's not an obvious call and I think people's experiences can really vary, particularly at the Palace or Westin.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 2:23 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Kacee
Points absolutely offer value when cash rates are all in the $750+ per night range (as is not uncommon these days). When they're in the $200-300 range (which also happens), not such a great value.

I would definitely not recommend Walnut Creek for a tourist. Oakland maybe, depending on interests. OP really hasn't provided enough info to make a meaningful recommendation among the SF properties. Personally I like LM and W best, but it's not an obvious call and I think people's experiences can really vary, particularly at the Palace or Westin.
If average hotel prices over the five days were $750, it might make sense to use points. The problem is that pretty much every hotel in SF proper is a Cat 6 or higher, even though I think there is a wide variety in terms of quality among the choices. You have to go out to Oakland or Oyster Point or SFO to find a lower category hotel.

I actually like the LM too, but I do think it’s a notch below the Palace and the location is not as convenient. I would consider the St. Regis for an extra 10,000/night (or 8,000 with the fifth night free) a good deal. The W is meh in my opinion, but I haven’t stayed since the hotel started renovating the rooms.

If we’re going to calculate value by $/point, then the hotels farther out like the Renaissance Walnut Creek are a great deal, since those hotels can also be $400-$500/night. But yes, agreed, it’s definitely not convenient for a tourist who wants to spend all their time in SF.

Honestly, I think Hyatt offers better value in SF. I’d rather spend 20000 Hyatt points on the regency than 50000 points on the Palace. And with the new hotels from JdV, there are some cat 4 options again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.