Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in San Francisco

Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wcj1
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.

Below is a list of hotels Marriott has listed for San Francisco. Where there is a specific "Master" threads for a hotel, the name is a link to that thread:

Luxury:
St Regis San Francisco
Ritz Carlton San Francisco

Full Service:
W Hotel San Francisco
JW Marriott Union Square San Francisco
San Francisco Marriott Union Square
San Francisco Marriott Marquis
San Francisco Marriott Fisherman's Wharf
Marriott SoMA Mission Bay [San Francisco]
[GONE] Park Central (was Westin Market Street) San Francisco (rebranded as Hyatt)
Westin St. Francis, San Francisco
Westin SFO San Francisco Airport
Palace Hotel, San Francisco
Le Meridien Hotel San Francisco
San Francisco Proper, Design Hotel
Adagio Hotel, Autograph Collection (San Francisco, CA)
[GONE] Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf, San Francisco (re-branded as Riu Plaza San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf as of 12NOV19 - see post 134 in thread)
AC Hotel San Francisco Airport/Oyster Point Waterfront

Limited Service:
Courtyard San Francisco Downtown/Van Ness Ave
Courtyard San Francisco Union Square
Courtyard San Francisco Airport/Oyster Point Waterfront
Courtyard San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf
Courtyard San Francisco Downtown
Four Points by Sheraton SFO San Francisco Airport
aloft San Francisco Airport (Millbrae) SFO

Extended Stay:
Residence Inn San Francisco Airport/Oyster Point Waterfront

Timeshare:
Marriott Vacation Club Pulse, San Francisco

Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in San Francisco

Old Aug 18, 2009, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ffATLff
Disappointing to hear about the JW, especially since I'm going to stay there at the ned of Sept. But multiple reivew I've read confirm it's only average.

Def like the CY (2nd and Folsom). It is a short walk from Union Square, though. And on weekends, it can be mobbed with San Francisco sports fans.
So now I'm torn between the CY and the SF Airport Marriott. Staying two nights in October at the Westin SoMA (on the company) and then three more nights (on my dime and on Marriott Gift Cards) for some serious wine tasting.

Although the CY is cheaper, I like the review and service I read above at the SF Marriott. What to do? Or should I just stay in Marin?
Old Aug 18, 2009, 2:16 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum; Mariott-Platinum Premier; Hyatt-Diamond;Hilton-Gold; Avis-First; Hertz-Presidents
I've heard good things about the SFO Marriott. I assume that you will have a car. You will have to change hotels anyway. Where are you tasting - Napa / Sonoma? Are you driving from tastings back and forth to the hotel each day? How much time in the hotel to actually enjoy amenities? Do you want to spend any time in the city? Decisions, decisions, decisions....
Old Aug 19, 2009, 8:48 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by aacharya
So now I'm torn between the CY and the SF Airport Marriott. Staying two nights in October at the Westin SoMA (on the company) and then three more nights (on my dime and on Marriott Gift Cards) for some serious wine tasting.

Although the CY is cheaper, I like the review and service I read above at the SF Marriott. What to do? Or should I just stay in Marin?
If you are going to do some "serious" wine tasting, I would stay at a property in Napa or Sonoma. It is a long drive back to the city - especially after having a few .

The SF downtown Marriott is a big ol' business hotel. I have stayed in it off and on since it first opened after the big quake in the late 80s. It is a reliable hotel that is very convenient to local public transportation - which is important as a car is a major PITA for getting around intown SF. The downtown Courtyard is not that far away but the immediate neighborhood is not that interesting (or convenient) for tourist-type activities.

The SFO (airport) Marriott would be out of the question as it is on the other side of the city from the wine country area.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 11:11 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
Originally Posted by keeton

The SF downtown Marriott is a big ol' business hotel. I have stayed in it off and on since it first opened after the big quake in the late 80s. It is a reliable hotel that is very convenient to local public transportation - which is important as a car is a major PITA for getting around intown SF. The downtown Courtyard is not that far away but the immediate neighborhood is not that interesting (or convenient) for tourist-type activities.

The SFO (airport) Marriott would be out of the question as it is on the other side of the city from the wine country area.
Agree 100% with your take on the downtown Marriott. I've stayed there off and on myself since it first opened in '89.

I have an event coming up at Moscone right after the first of the year, and was just tentatively booked at the CY. Just curious if you....or anyone else...can tell me how the CY is for BART/Public transport, as well as for proximity to Moscone.

Thanks in advance

....Jack
Old Aug 19, 2009, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ffATLff
I've heard good things about the SFO Marriott. I assume that you will have a car. You will have to change hotels anyway. Where are you tasting - Napa / Sonoma? Are you driving from tastings back and forth to the hotel each day? How much time in the hotel to actually enjoy amenities? Do you want to spend any time in the city? Decisions, decisions, decisions....
Napa on Thursday, and maybe Friday.

Sonoma for sure Saturday and most likely Friday.

I would drive from tastings back and forth, as Wine Country Hotels tend to be prohibitively expensive. Then again, I could stay in Marin at the CY tehre.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 2:34 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum; Mariott-Platinum Premier; Hyatt-Diamond;Hilton-Gold; Avis-First; Hertz-Presidents
I agree with keeton. Stay as close to (or in Napa / Sonoma) - there are several marriotts in the area.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 9:39 pm

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
So now I'm torn between the CY and the SF Airport Marriott.
There may be a better option at the airport for families--the Residence Inn. It's on the same property as the CY. I stayed at this RI with my family on the way to Hawaii earlier this year--it was just 5,000 extra per night for an upgrade to a two room suite.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 6:32 am

Programs: United 1K, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Napa on Thursday, and maybe Friday.

Sonoma for sure Saturday and most likely Friday.

I would drive from tastings back and forth, as Wine Country Hotels tend to be prohibitively expensive. Then again, I could stay in Marin at the CY tehre.
I would definitely recommend staying a lot closer to wine country. The drive back and forth to SFO can take well over 90 minutes on weekends with traffic. The last thing I would want to do is make that drive especially after a long day of wine tasting.

The Courtyard Santa Rosa offers a Marriott Rewards (M11) rate of $99 per night Thursday - Sunday most weekends in Oct. It is a nice property with a lot of great restaurants close by. It is fairly central to Napa and Sonoma and a lot closer than SFO.

You may find similar deals at other CY and FI in the wine country area. Use what ever discount code you qualify for (AAA?), check out the list of publicly available discounts codes posted as a sticky to this forum.

Wine country is very busy on weekends in Sept and Oct. The Lodge at Sonoma is very expensive on weekends, but it also a great property and worth the splurge.

Whatever you decide to do, book early.

Hope this helps.

RIP...
Old Nov 10, 2009, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K3MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hertz PC
Question rewards , Marriott properties San Francisco

I am interested in anyone's perspective on the availability of award rooms in San Francisco during the week ....

As I understand there is no more blackout dates (caveat : standard rooms must be available and a "few nights" might be under inventory control)

I am looking for an "hotel reward" not a "point saver" which would be only available at the hotel's discretion.

Looking for a one night midweek next week (november, outside of the thanksgiving week) and there is no award available at all in San Francisco (several properties) ... (and yet "regular" rooms are still available at a "reasonnable" weekday rate ... not listed as premium/concierge or suites)

what's suspicious to me is that if I try to do a 4 night award booking (with the same starting date) then they all have rooms available for award redemption ....

Is this a Marriott.com bug ? is this common ?
Old Nov 10, 2009, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is probably a bug. Insted of doing a citywide search for that night with "use points" selected first do a search for cash rooms. Then select the hotel you want, show rates and rooms, then show award nights. The JW for example has award ngiths available every night from Nov 20 to Dec 15.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 5:38 pm

Programs: MR Gold, IHG Gold AMB
Any recent experience which SFO full service properties are most likely to have a lounge open or give breakfast certs to a gold on weekends? Have several weekend+ trips planned for the end of Jan and the rates are comparable at Ren / JW / Marquis / Marriott.

Feel free to PM if you hesitate to publicly report an "overachieving" property.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 1:12 pm

SanFran Union Sq - Marriott or JW?

What one is nicer? Both are 30k per nights on rewards.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...-union-square/

or

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...-union-square/
Old Jan 5, 2010, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, National Emerald Executive, Hertz 5 *, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by RC0032
Stayed at the JW last year for a weekend getaway. This was the former Pan Pacific hotel so it is not a "new" hotel. The rooms were on the smaller side but the bed was amazing....you will definitely sleep well. Unfortunately I did not get lounge access so I cannot comment on the lounge. The lobby has a nice bar and restaurant but there are plenty of dining options surrounding the hotel. Overall it is a very nice hotel and would recommend it.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 9:14 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by brendanm14
Stayed at the JW last year for a weekend getaway ... Unfortunately I did not get lounge access so I cannot comment on the lounge ...
According to MR tier benefits chart Golds get lounge access. Was this location specific?
Old Jan 5, 2010, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kalboz
According to MR tier benefits chart Golds get lounge access. Was this location specific?
Probably because it was on the weekend.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.