Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W or Westin Times Square, NYC [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W or Westin Times Square, NYC [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2008, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold
Arrow W or Westin Times Square, NYC [Master Thread]

I'm interested in opinions on which property has the better rooms, better service, and the better location for touring the city.
Thanks!

/mod

Earlier reports can be found at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...er-thread.html

/mod

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Jun 8, 2010 at 6:51 pm
Old Jun 21, 2008, 7:54 pm

The W is a better location and has better rooms.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 9:46 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
they are both close to each other. the rooms at the W are a smaller, but the location for me is better. blue fin and whiskey make it a better choice for me, although shula s steak house was great too back in the days, the W was nice as u walk out the door and get last min tickets to shows. i was back there in march and they had moved it (temp?) lounge (BAR AREA) was decent too at W

Last edited by chanp; Jun 21, 2008 at 9:47 pm Reason: adding more
Old Jun 22, 2008, 7:55 am

Programs: AC SE, UA PE, HH Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
If you want a nice view and a quick walk to the Times Square then the W is better. However, the Westin is much better for the Subway access and is slightly better for grabbing a cab.

The W rooms are smaller and more funky in decoration, the Westin rooms are larger but just in the usual Westin subdue decor. The Westin is also quieter than the W.

As a businessman, the Westin was a better choice for me.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 8:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Really depends if you want a functional room or somewhere chic.

Somewhere chic - W Times Square
If you want to pretend to be a member of the chic crowd (models, designer clothes, very subdued lighting in the evenings) and do not mind small rooms, then W Times Square is the place. The bar on the reception level feels as if you are in some designer lounge in South Beach Miami. Rooms are smaller (well models are rather skinny and never carry much luggage or do they ?). However, the rooms are definitely one or two standards higher.

Somewhere functional for families or business - Westin
Westin Time Square - is not really on Time Square but is between 42nd and 43rd Street on 8th Avenue. The location is good as it is near the subway and it is a lot easier to get taxis o 8th Avenue compared with Times Square or Broadway.

While you are not on Times Square, it will only take you about 1 minute longer to get to the same shops, restaurants and theatre compared to the W Times Square

Decent room size and far larger hotel. Club Lounge busy and basic but offers a decent breakfast.

If you are a solo traveller or a couple in NYC for a romantic weekend - go for the W
If you are a family or just want to do touristy things or need a "home-style" room for a business stay - go for the Westin.

Last edited by KenJohn; Jun 22, 2008 at 8:47 am
Old Jun 22, 2008, 7:56 pm

The W Times Square is always my first choice, as it is actually located in Times Square. As was previously mentioned, The Westin is not in Times Square per se. It has a wonderful view of the Port Authority Bus Terminal.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 9:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
KenJohn's review in post #6 is right on target, based on my 4 stays at each property in the last 2 years.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold
Renovations at W Times Square

I understand renovations are currently underway at the W TS. Has anyone stayed here recently and been affected by construction noises, etc?
Old Jun 24, 2008, 7:11 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Lufthansa, Marriott, Hilton
I did not see any construction but my room/suite was rather worn with slightly banged up furniture, a somewhat dirty bath area, and worst of all, a sagging king bed. It had a double dip, left and right. I didn't say anything because the square footage was great, the water pressure was intense, and the level of service was great. (But I doubt I will stay there again.)
Old Jun 24, 2008, 7:13 pm
dc3

Westin vs. W - Times Square

The Westin has a lounge. The Westin has great views of the Hudson River and towards Times Square (if you are on a high floor). I have gotten tired of the small funky rooms at the W.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 7:18 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Opinion from a >40 year old: I've stayed at both. Blue Fin restaurant at the W is exceptional and the eye candy is amazing but I enjoyed the spacious room and view from my high-level floor at the Westin much much more.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 6:59 am

Programs: AA 2.7MM LTP, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Nat'l Emerald Exec)
another >40 year old giving the thumbs up for the Westin.

Bigger rooms and quieter location, yet less than one block from Times Square.

As a PLT was upgraded (after I asked) to a huge room by any NYC standard. The theatre desk helped me immensely with tickets, and the whole package is A+.

Note no in-out privileges at valet parking. If you need a bag from your car, it's $45 more. We walked the block over to the garage and grabbed what we needed.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Westin Times Square =

Lame service, pathetic staff. There is a reason why this property is always on sale with travelzoo for $199 while W TS is never on sale. 'nuff said.

I've done reviews for both properties so take a look if you are interested.

W TS = ^
Old Jul 7, 2008, 10:17 am
MKB

I've stayed at the Westin three times and the W Times Square just once.

The Westin is not great, but, as long as you don't have high expectations, it's fine.

The W on the other hand I definitely won't be going back to. Miniscule rooms cheaply furnished, deathly dark corridors, dreadful r'n'b music playing at all hours in the public areas, aloof staff, two elevator rides to get to any room, no bath in the bathroom, no lounge; I could go on.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 2:48 am

Programs: QF Platinum One, QF LT platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite Lifetime Titanium, Accor Platinum
Westin Times Square vs W Times Square

I've stayed at the Westin Times Square a bunch of times and as a plat always been upgraded to a great room. I've never had any problems.

Over the past few years I've also had a few reasonable stays at the W Times Square. For my partners 40th Birthday we decided to stay there again from from Wednesday 2nd July - Sunday 6th July. We were not upgraded. We had construction noise all day Thursday and all day Saturday. I had a 'full and frank exchange of ideas' with the duty manager who informed me there was no construction happening and the noise was more than likely from another site. It wasn't until she actually came to my room that she agreed some contractors had come onto the W Times Square site without her knowledge.

Upon checkout we received a few gifts from the W Shop on Level 7 and also 10,000 Starpoints by way of apology. My personal view is this did little to make our stay less painful than what it was. I will not be staying at this hotel again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.