Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Riverwalk San Antonio, Texas [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Riverwalk San Antonio, Texas [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2006, 7:14 am

Programs: UA PremExec, SPG Plat, CO Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by jeffo
I was there for New Years Eve and enjoyed using points for a junior suite, city view. While it wasn't a balcony overlooking the riverwalk, the room was great. Friends at the new Watermark hotel were quite impressed with our room and said they would definitely stay with Westin next time around (probably at half the price).

Very pleased with this Westin and the staff.
Diddo. David the concierge was FANTASTIC -- Though the other concierges are young and less experienced.
Old Jan 8, 2006, 9:23 pm

Programs: HHonors, SPG, UAL - 1P
I was there overnight back in July 05. I was pleasantly surprised when I walked into an upgraded room without requesting. I would recommend this property.
Old Jul 5, 2006, 11:27 am

Programs: US Gold, CO Silver, AA Gold, *wood Gold, HHonors Silver
I just spent a week at the Westin Riverwalk and it was fab. I asked for a room with a nice tub and got upgraded to the corner suite on the 4th floor with the largest balcony in the place! Not bad for a gold. I think the room number was 439.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 10:39 pm

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
The Westin Riverwalk is absolutely one of my favorite Westins in the chain. The location is great, the staff are absolutely amazing and can't do enough for you and Plat recognition is excellent. The times I've had the opportunity to stay there I've been in a junior suite.

My only complaint is something the hotel really can't do much about! They simply don't have anything between the Jr. Suite and the Presidential suite. There's a hospitality suite but it's simply a standard room with a hospitality area attached. I mention this because the junior suites are nice but if it's a special occasion it'd be helpful to have an 'in-between' option.
Old Jul 15, 2006, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA PremExec, SPG Plat, CO Gold, HH Gold
Rough Start. . . Sweet Ending

We were at the Westin Riverwalk over the New Year's Weekend. They could not check us in until 8.30 pm (2 hours after we arrived). When we informed the night manager of this problem, not only did she upgrade us to a better suite (the hotel was fully booked for the football game), she credited two nights worth of starpoints to our account for our "troubles" and because of my "Plat Status". ^
Old Jul 16, 2006, 4:36 pm

Programs: Former Starwood Plat, Former Marriott Plat, Delta Million Miler, US Airways Million Miler
Originally Posted by quoxton
In welcome contrast to the Westin Galleria in Dallas, I found the above property outstanding across the board. Platinum upgrade to (what I think was) a suite, with a fantastic view of the Riverwalk area. Fast (and free) pressing of clothes, very effective concierge service. The hotel is modern and perfectly situated. Even at about $360/night I thought this was good value. IMO the Riverwalk area of San Antonio has a great feel to it -- not so sure about the rest of the city (the Alamo is fun to visit though). This hotel outperformed at a very busy time -- Final Four, the premiere of the "Alamo" movie, and an oil conference all in town at the same time -- full capacity. I give it a 9/10.
I stayed in both properties this spring. As a Gold, got basic room on SPG floor (including balcony over river on San Antonio). Both hotels delivered exactly what I expect from Westin and reasonable value for the money.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 3:34 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Recently stayed here. It's location right on the Riverwalk is great. You can save on your parking budget by parking across the street (almost half the cost of parking via the Westin Valet, but you won't have in/out privileges...but then, if you're chilling out around downtown & the Riverwalk, you likely won't need a car anyways...). The dark chocolates at the hotel desk are nice touch, as is the "Latin Afternoon Tea" in the lobby: live Latin guitar music, Mexican coffee & hot chocolate, cookies, etc. The front desk seemed to always have a line in front of it, but the concierge desk (separate from the front desk area) was usually readily avaiable. As a lowly Gold, was upgraded to Junior Suite. The pool area & fitness center are both really nice, typical Westin style & offerings with house/fusion music going. While I didnt' have a balcony, from the pool (on the "balcony" side) one could tell that none of the balconies had any privacy per say, just the "ledge sticking out of the edge of a building with a rail around it" for each one, if that matters to any. The lobby also has several "front porch" style separate sitting areas right on the Riverwalk with coffe tables, chairs, ceiling fans, etc...nice for just relaxing right on the "river."

It's a VERY short walk to the Gunter, reviewed on another thread. I did both, just to take advantage of the Starwood double stays credit. One is a Westin, one is a Sheraton, so keep that in mind in comparisons. The hotels are indeed very close, making a "stay credit run" easy without a long luggage schlep.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by kanebear
My only complaint is something the hotel really can't do much about! They simply don't have anything between the Jr. Suite and the Presidential suite. There's a hospitality suite but it's simply a standard room with a hospitality area attached. I mention this because the junior suites are nice but if it's a special occasion it'd be helpful to have an 'in-between' option.
I have stayed in the governor's suite at this hotel. It had a large bedroom, king bed, and a large living area with dining room table and wet bar.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 6:48 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, SPG Plat
worth it to park?

My wife and I are going to spend a weekend at the Westin Riverwalk -- we've never been to San Antonio before and decided to stop in as I'd be down in Dallas on business anyway. I saw that valet is $23 and self-park is $10 ... is it worth it to have a car in San Antonio or will we find enough to do within walking distance?
Old Sep 11, 2006, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by traveling_consultant
My wife and I are going to spend a weekend at the Westin Riverwalk -- we've never been to San Antonio before and decided to stop in as I'd be down in Dallas on business anyway. I saw that valet is $23 and self-park is $10 ... is it worth it to have a car in San Antonio or will we find enough to do within walking distance?
Definately enough to do within walking distance. We got a taxi from the airport for $19 each way and stayed on the riverwalk the rest of the time.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 9:05 pm

Should I change my flight and leave DAL early?

Hartd, thanks the taxi amount I can expect. I’m heading to SAT but the Westin’s booked the night I want to stay on the Riverwalk so am settling for the Omni. But now that you’ve mentioned how much there is to do within walking distance, I’m considering changing my flight to arrive earlier than 4pm. I’m coming in from DAL. The next day (Sunday) we're renting a car from the Marriott and heading to the Westin La Cantera.
Old Dec 24, 2006, 1:41 pm

Programs: *wood plt,mrt plt, aa ex plt
Westin San Antonio

Great time at the Luxorius Hotel,
Well worth the extra $$$ to stay.
Great service from Alma(at the front desk) Patricia, Elizabeth, Steven Pinkerton and Jenavy at the bar.
The Hotel was not busy and staff was very attentative.
Wow, Rooms were sharp and clean.
Early checkin was available.
Made my Xmas Eve special.

Matt Berge should be extremely proud of his staff!!
Old Dec 26, 2006, 7:37 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
Wow..you know your hotel employees.

Earlier this month, I found the hotel rooms to be a bit run down. The upgrade to a suite was nice, but nothing really impressive.

I found the Room service prices were more outrageous than normal.
Old Dec 26, 2006, 3:15 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Similar experience: was upgraded to a junior suite, but wasn't anything incredibly mind-blowing. In fact, the layout was wierd...TONS of space between bed & table & desk....almost as though there was much more furniture in this thing at one point. Could have put an entire second living room & dining room set in there & still had a lot of walking to do.

The "afternoon Latin tea" is a nice touch, as are the chocolates at checkin. TThere is another thread on the SPG forum (can't get it now, but it's here somewhere) comparing the Westin to the Sheraton Gunter, with detailed descriptions for each...well worth reading thru for those checking into SAT.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 8:41 am

Programs: AAdvantage 1MM, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by traveling_consultant
My wife and I stayed at the Westin Riverwalk two weeks ago. It's $25 to park at the hotel, or $10 to park in the public parking garage directly across the street.

We were there on a Saturday night, our event at the Alamadome ended at 11 p.m. We tried to get back to the hotel but found traffic in downtown San Antonio at that time on a Saturday night to be a nightmare. It took almost a half hour just to drive around the block!

With all that traffic, the public parking garage was "full," so we had no choice but to use the valet parking. So we gave the car to the valet who, of course, parked it directly across the street in the public parking garage.

So, my word to the wise is to use the public parking, but be aware of some possible problems if you will be driving in the area on a Saturday night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.