Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Austin, TX

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Austin, TX

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 4, 19, 12:30 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: hhoope01
Wiki Link
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 8, 04, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Thumbs up Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Austin, TX

Over the last 3 weeks I have been hotel-hopping across the full-service Marriott properties and some Hilton (there are just too many to do all) properties in Austin. I have been a little disgruntled with Marriott as my backup chain (Starwood being primary) and thought would give Hilton (who did comp me to Diamond) a shot. But I do have to say that at least after my experience with the Austin properties, I would stick with Marriott as opposed to Hilton. While Marriott does not seem to care much about their elites at a corporate level, some of their hotel employees are outstanding and its these hotel employees that I am seeing everyday and don't need to talk to the ones at Marriott Rewards or Customer Service. I had 100% success scoring a room on the Club Floors of all properties (Renaissance Austin, Marriott Airport South, Marriott Austin Downtown, Hilton Austin North, Doubletree Austin North, Hilton Downtown), I was given suites for all my Marriott/Renaissance stays but one. While I did not like the downtown property much, I think the staff at the Renaissance and Marriott South are simply wonderful. The Marriott South offers 500 bonus points for eating in their restaurant.

So I will now go back to Marriott as my backup chain even though the 75 nights a year requirement is harder than 28 stays required for Hilton. Unfortunately, Starwood my primary chain has awful presence in Austin (no human should stay in that 4-points). The Austin properties have helped retained a loyal customer for Marriott.

By the way, the location of the Austin South seems to have almost every possible Marriott brand (Marriott, Courtyard, Fairfield Inn, Residence Inn, Springhill Suites)... its just weird to see them one after another off the freeway.
Old Apr 8, 04, 9:43 am

Will be staying at the SHS in NW Austin (Arboretum) this weekend, so hopefully the staff and service will equal those of the South Austin properties you stayed at.
Old Apr 8, 04, 10:40 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM,, DL PM, Marriott Titanium Lifetime, Dollar Store Premium
Glad to hear the good news about the South location...I'm staying there next weekend.
Old Nov 1, 04, 1:21 pm

Thumbs up Renaissance Austin

Just stayed here this past Halloween weekend. It's an easy 20min drive from AUS on Hwy 183, near the Arboretum shopping center.

We were upgraded to a corner king suite, from the $107 M12 rate. ^ The first corner room we were given had a strong cigarette odor, despite it being a N/S. We were promptly moved to a cleaner room at the opposite corner w/o problem.

The huge corner King suite (734 sqft, per website) faced the NW corner of the hotel, and none of the windows face the atrium, affording a little more privacy. Our room came complete with wetbar, fridge, and living room area with leather seats and dining table. Room was tastefully decorated in reds and browns, with minimalist Texan photo art on the walls. Large bathroom has a separate dressing area / closet; the bathtub was slightly worn. Received evening turndown service.

Lobby opens into a huge atrirum decorated with ironwork birds suspended from the ceiling. Otherwise, we didn't get a chance to sample any of the dining or fitness center amenities to comment on them.

Two supermarkets are on nearby Braker Rd near the freeway, one of which (H-E-B) is supposed to be 24hrs, but both times I attempted a late-night run there, they had the doors locked. Otherwise, the hotel offers 24hr room service, should you arrive late to your room.

If you plan on staying here, ask for rooms numbered X23 or X37, which are the corner suites. X13 and either X48 or X49 are also corner rooms.

All in all a great property, and we look forward to staying here on a hopefully longer visit to take advantage of their other amenities.
Old Nov 2, 04, 9:00 am

Programs: MR Silver, Hilton Silver
Thanks for the great report! This mirrors my experiences with programs we have run at the hotel over the last several years. They have a high level of service and really care for their guests.
Old Nov 3, 04, 12:35 am

Programs: MR PL, Hyatt GP Diamond, HH Gold, UA Silver, WN A-LIst, National EE
I would also echo the statements above regarding this hotel. The staff was exceptional, and the room was more than adequate at a very reasonable price.

I look forward to a return to the area for another stay.

Oh -- and you can roll yourself back from the nearby Cheesecake Factory, too!
Old Dec 12, 04, 11:33 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Plat, Marriot Gold
Thumbs up Austin Marriott at the Capital!

I must say that I have always liked this hotel. The service has been consistently good, I have always been upgraded to a concierge level room, and the location is great.

That being said I have made the Four Seasons home on my last few visits to Austin due to Dell rates there (this hotel used to have Dell rates, but alas they are no more). This weekend I came to town for pleasure and decided to return to the Marriott.

First I noticed before I left LA that my reservation room type had been changed to reflect a Concierge level room (I have never seen that before with a Marriott). When I arrived check in was perfect. In my room was a plate of chocolate covered strawberries and a note from the GM welcoming me back. The note also promised an extra 1000 MR points!

This makes me want to book another trip back to Austin! Again, even without the little extras the staff is always top notch, and you are walking distance to the capital and downtown restaurants and clubs. A great choice for Austin.
Old Dec 13, 04, 11:29 am

Programs: Former DL Plat - 1 MM, CO Infinite Plat, MRT PLT
Originally Posted by LAXGreg
I must say that I have always liked this hotel. The service has been consistently good, I have always been upgraded to a concierge level room, and the location is great.

That being said I have made the Four Seasons home on my last few visits to Austin due to Dell rates there (this hotel used to have Dell rates, but alas they are no more). This weekend I came to town for pleasure and decided to return to the Marriott.

First I noticed before I left LA that my reservation room type had been changed to reflect a Concierge level room (I have never seen that before with a Marriott). When I arrived check in was perfect. In my room was a plate of chocolate covered strawberries and a note from the GM welcoming me back. The note also promised an extra 1000 MR points!

This makes me want to book another trip back to Austin! Again, even without the little extras the staff is always top notch, and you are walking distance to the capital and downtown restaurants and clubs. A great choice for Austin.
The one in South Austin is also nice. Quite new, got upgraded to a suite the size of a small apartment and my Platinum cheese & crackers was literally a huge platter.
Old Aug 17, 05, 11:04 pm

Programs: 1K (I know, my screen name is outdated), Marriott Plat, *Wood Plat, Five Star, Amex Plat
Big ^ for the Marriott Airport South! I checked in earlier today and was upgraded to a suite (looks like x25 and x45 rooms are suites). Sandi at the front desk was very friendly and upgraded me on her own.

I had a nice conversation with the manager and he is very customer focused. The property looks as though its been renovated in the not too distant past. Both the common areas and the rooms are very nice. The suites are great...living room with a wet bar...large bathroom and a seperate bedroom accessible through double atrium doors. The lounge is well maintained with a nice spread of food around 5:00. The usual honor bar and free sodas/water.

The hotel is owned by White Lodging Services. They also own the Denver Marriott South, this is where I put people up when they visit and its an exceptional property. White seems like a class act with a number of different Marriott branded properties around the midwest. Clued the manager in FT, very interested in creating a positive customer experience. When I'm back in Austin I'll be returning.
Old Aug 18, 05, 4:54 am

Programs: Delta 3MM/PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Austin South

Just another strong agreement regarding the Austin Marriott Airport South. Outstanding service, just simply outstanding, each and every stay.

The Marriott Downtown is not even close.

Best,

Joel
Old Aug 19, 05, 8:54 am

Programs: AA CK (3MM), Marriott LTT and Ambassador, Uber Diamond, UA Gold
That Airport South property is great. I also like the Austin Marriott at the Capitol...
Old Jan 25, 06, 9:32 am

While the Airport South property was nice , I felt the staff was pretty clueless (if not kind.) I booked a 3 night stay in 2 reservations -- the first night at an MEB rate, and the second and third nights at a PKG rate (which included b'fast and a shopping certificate) with an EEO coupon.

Check-in agent: I don't have breakfast coupons. They'll take care of your shopping certificate in the morning. The EEO coupon has been noted. I've also noted that you are here for 3 night.

Morning agent: I don't know what this PKG rate is -- if you look up the details, we'll honor it. I don't have anything noted about the EEO coupons, but I'll note it. Also, I only have you for a 1 night stay -- I will make sure it says 3. Here are your breakfast coupons.

Evening agent: I'm glad you stopped by the front desk! We've been trying to contact you all day as we have you as a check out. Ugh....

Check-out: Oh, we don't have you noted as using an EEO. We'll take care of that for you. Ugh...

Current: Platinum points bonus has not posted yet.

Nothing horrendous, but still, and clear sign of lousy communication at the front desk. Why should it take 4 contacts to get something right?

It's a nice property with a fairly convenient location, but I wasn't too impressed with the coordination among the front desk staff.
Old Jan 26, 06, 7:38 pm

Location: fort worth, tx AA Gold,Best Western-Diamond, HH- Gold, Marriott-Silver
I have stayed at both the Austin Airport South, and the Renaissance and they are both class acts. I think you can have miscommunication at any property. Things tend to get a little messy when the same occupant uses more than one reservation. Of course it should all go smoothly, but I have rarely seen it happen.
Old Jan 26, 06, 8:37 pm

Valid point that the EEOs are rarely handled properly, but it really shouldn't take 4 contacts with the front desk to set it straight.

I'll give them another try the next time I'm in town.
Old Mar 9, 06, 11:57 pm

Programs: MR PL, Hyatt GP Diamond, HH Gold, UA Silver, WN A-LIst, National EE
Austin Marriott North?

Does anyone have any information on this property? I have never stayed there, but there seems to be pretty limited availability in AUS (I guess with the SXSW in town, pickins are slim) in my price range. This one is.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Stevekoe

Search this Thread
Search Engine: