Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Austin, TX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Austin, TX

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2022, 2:44 pm

A few options: Courtyard for 35K, JW for 50K, W for 50K, or Proper Hotel for 50K. Any thoughts?
Old Mar 6, 2022, 9:57 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards, Southwest Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by schley

second was the Sprnghill Suites Austin NW The Domain - updated last couple years and weird location as you have to loop around a freeway to get to it each time, but was close to a Chick Fil A and had grab and go breakfast bags. Was OK but a step down from the Residence Inn. Bed was comfortable, but AC was thermostat controlling the old style wall AC/Heat units under the window. Climate as a bit of an issue. Bathrooms were oddly shaped, but fixtures and water pressure were good. Staff very friendly at each interaction. Was only 80 bucks a day and again a recommendation for medium priced hotel.
Staying at this hotel right now for a business trip. The exterior is under construction, but the interior appears to have been recently redone. Haven't heard construction noises once so far.

Hotel has a very small "bar" which is odd for an SHS. Ordered their Elvis Old Fashioned... its premixed. Not bad for a premixed cocktail and the pour I got for $12 is equal to about 3 old fashioneds when I make them at home.

Agree with climate in the room being a bit of an issue, woke up freezing a couple nights with the thermostat at 70. Almost seems like it runs away/doesnt listen to the thermostat.

Biggest issue here so far has been the other guests over the weekend. Ended up with the dreaded traveling youth sports team taking over the hotel.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by TXJeepGuy
Staying at this hotel right now for a business trip. The exterior is under construction, but the interior appears to have been recently redone. Haven't heard construction noises once so far.

Hotel has a very small "bar" which is odd for an SHS. Ordered their Elvis Old Fashioned... its premixed. Not bad for a premixed cocktail and the pour I got for $12 is equal to about 3 old fashioneds when I make them at home.

Agree with climate in the room being a bit of an issue, woke up freezing a couple nights with the thermostat at 70. Almost seems like it runs away/doesnt listen to the thermostat.

Biggest issue here so far has been the other guests over the weekend. Ended up with the dreaded traveling youth sports team taking over the hotel.
Last June (2021), had rooms both at the SHS Domain as well as the FI Domain. Strongly recommend the SHS over the FI - FI hadn't been updated in ever whereas the SHS internally was up to the current brand standard and still had that new feel.

And yes, for both hotels, you have to go down el Mopac Service Road. For the FI, you could, if you wanted, navigate out the back of the office complex at Mopac and Braker so you wouldn't have to swing all the way around to go under the 1 - which is what you're doing anyway to get to the SHS.

The other major issue with the FI is it sits right next to the rail line between it and the Domain. Were it possible to cut across the rail right of way, we could have been in the Domain complex in a hot minute. Because of the routing of roads, the rail line blockage, etc., its 5 minutes by car from the FI to the Domain due to not only the distance but all of the lights and intersections to traverse.

David

p.s. Have photos from said properties that I can post if folks are interested.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 2:53 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Does anyone have suggestions for the best hotels to stay at for south by southwest? On points or cash?
Old Oct 13, 2022, 3:52 pm

Programs: United MM, Alaska MVP, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
I have a 40k cert that expires at the end of the year so booked The Proper by adding 15k points. Rates are currently $700ish. I also looked at the W which would have needed 7k points. I’m currently Titanium. Not many reviews for the Proper so we will see how it goes.
Benner likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2022, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by donotblink
Does anyone have suggestions for the best hotels to stay at for south by southwest? On points or cash?
JW will be the best but it will be $1k+/night
JoeWoodstock likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 6:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Any thoughts on the sheraton at the Capitol... I've got a 3 night holiday stay in Austin coming up in April, with a young kid and likely not taking a car and relying on uber to get around. It seemed to be a good location with nearby park and was cheap. However the Google and even Marriott reviews are not very complementary. I'm an ambassador so may hope for a reasonable room. Any alternatives that may be suitable? We won't be spending that much time in the hotel so I don't need much more than a nice breakfast and ideally nearby park or play area for children.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 11:24 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by littlevoices
Any thoughts on the sheraton at the Capitol... I've got a 3 night holiday stay in Austin coming up in April, with a young kid and likely not taking a car and relying on uber to get around. It seemed to be a good location with nearby park and was cheap. However the Google and even Marriott reviews are not very complementary. I'm an ambassador so may hope for a reasonable room. Any alternatives that may be suitable? We won't be spending that much time in the hotel so I don't need much more than a nice breakfast and ideally nearby park or play area for children.
Note that this used to be the Austin Marriott (not important, just a detail). While I can't comment on the inside-hotel experience, note that this area is not very nice. Any nearby parks will be full of homeless folks and their belongings. You're also in close proximity to the police station and the nearby homeless shelter on 7th Street.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 6:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
Note that this used to be the Austin Marriott (not important, just a detail). While I can't comment on the inside-hotel experience, note that this area is not very nice. Any nearby parks will be full of homeless folks and their belongings. You're also in close proximity to the police station and the nearby homeless shelter on 7th Street.
Thanks for the heads up, this hadn't occurred to me: I will rebook to a more expensive (more dull) location in the CBD.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by littlevoices
Thanks for the heads up, this hadn't occurred to me: I will rebook to a more expensive (more dull) location in the CBD.
Yeah, I havent been to Austin in a few years, but I have to assume the homeless situation has gotten worse, considering national trends. You really wouldnt want to be in that area.

The JW is beautiful and has a great lounge and pool. Its also in a great location. Not sure what the price is realtive to the Sheraton, but if it's close, it's 100% worth the switch
Old Mar 9, 2023, 8:50 am

Programs: Some/Most/All
Note that this used to be the Austin Marriott (not important, just a detail).
When was the Capitol Sheraton a Marriott? I remember staying there ~30 years ago and it was a Sheraton then. Was there a reflag in the middle?

Shame -but not a surprise- the neighborhood has declined. I remember walking across the interstate to eat at the local dive barbecue place that is now Franklin's. It probably wasn't perfectly safe (no more or less so than the fringes of any other downtown/CBD area,) but it wasn't terrible.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 9:06 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by JBKettle
When was the Capitol Sheraton a Marriott? I remember staying there ~30 years ago and it was a Sheraton then. Was there a reflag in the middle?

Shame -but not a surprise- the neighborhood has declined. I remember walking across the interstate to eat at the local dive barbecue place that is now Franklin's. It probably wasn't perfectly safe (no more or less so than the fringes of any other downtown/CBD area,) but it wasn't terrible.
At least in the early 2000s, per https://www.hotelexecutive.com/newsw...t-in-austin-tx, it was converted around 2007 to a Sheraton. Perhaps, it started as a Sheraton?
Old Mar 9, 2023, 9:17 am

Programs: Some/Most/All
At least in the early 2000s, per https://www.hotelexecutive.com/newsw...t-in-austin-tx, it was converted around 2007 to a Sheraton. Perhaps, it started as a Sheraton?
Interesting, thanks!

I don't have any 'proof,' but there's no doubt in my mind that it was a Sheraton in the early 90s. There must have been a reflag before 2007 that moved it to Marriott.
ElevatorEnthusiast likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
I have a 2 night award booking reservation at the JW. At the time of the booking the Proper was above the 50k I could trade up to with my 35k + 15k option. Now the Proper is coming in at 49k per night. Is it worth changing? I am Titanium LT Elite and just noticed the JW has a lounge so thinking I might get more out of the JW than the Proper.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by christianj
I have a 2 night award booking reservation at the JW. At the time of the booking the Proper was above the 50k I could trade up to with my 35k + 15k option. Now the Proper is coming in at 49k per night. Is it worth changing? I am Titanium LT Elite and just noticed the JW has a lounge so thinking I might get more out of the JW than the Proper.
Just stay at the JW since the Proper probably won't give many, if any, Elite benefits.
christianj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.