Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Austin, TX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Austin, TX

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2016, 10:15 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
As Gold, had a stay recently at the Marriott Austin South as it was far cheaper than the downtown Austin properties.

Easy off/on I-35. Free parking with garage parking under the Marriott.

Room was fine, linens clean/crisp. Bizarre triangle shaped bathroom, door hit toilet seat when closing but plenty of room.

Breakfast coupons for restaurant, choose the buffet or anything from the menu.

Even on a busy Saturday night, drive was <10 minutes from hotel to downtown (door to door).
Used to stay here frequently as the rates were 1/2 of anything (Marriott) remotely near downtown and it was fine. Omelette station / maker in CL IIRC. But what a traffic hassle getting to/from during rush hours...
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Stayed at the CY Austin Airport last night (Delta VDB). Nothing fancy but perfectly reasonable for an airport hotel. The Bistro in the lobby had some nice freshly made food at reasonable prices (~$11 for a BBQ chicken flatbread that was more than enough for dinnner) and just a couple minutes walk from a 7/11 and Starbucks (all housed within a mini hotel park that has most of the off-site airport hotels so no need to walk or cross busy roads). Free airport shuttle and no more than 10 minutes from terminal to airport and v.v.

Standard CY room and gave me a free item from the little lobby shop as a Platinum welcome amenity (beer and wine were allowable options).

Wouldn't be my first choice if going to Austin itself but not a bad option for anyone needing an overnight at the airport.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 11:05 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM/AC; UA Silver; AS; DL; Marriott LTT; National Car Elite
Originally Posted by Duke787
Stayed at the CY Austin Airport last night (Delta VDB).
I often have an early morning departure from AUS, and that is where I usually stay. The shuttle starts running at 4am, so depending on my departure time, sometimes I take the shuttle and sometimes I just return my rental car real early.

It's a nice little hotel, I recommend it.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 10:52 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Stayed mid-week at the Element downtown.

Positives:
  • Room was modern, very functional, quiet enough
  • Breakfast one morning was really nice - eggs scrambled with black beans, spiced chicken sausage
  • Another morning the breakfast was too greasy for me (eggs w/ cheese and bacon) so I ate in the restaurant and it was solid but a little pricey... I didn't have time to deal with it but apparently they offer Titanium elites a voucher for a discount in the restaurant if they don't like the free breakfast, regardless of amenity choice
  • Also had appetizers in the restaurant and liked both (wings, deviled eggs)
Negatives:
  • The location is geographically central but I was unprepared for how aggressive the panhandlers in the neighborhood were. I wanted to walk around the music scene/nightlife nearby but since it was mid-week, the crowds were thin and the panhandlers were swarming on anyone walking by. It was like the worst parts of San Francisco. I made it two blocks and turned around. A lot of very desperate people blocking sidewalks, waiting at intersections, power walking up to anyone who slowed down... personally, I would not walk thru the neighborhood alone.
  • Didn't like the hotel coffee at all so bought it myself at the Hideout Coffee House next door
Old Sep 19, 2019, 1:14 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
I'm looking at making a Category 5 redemption for 2 nights in Downtown Austin in a couple months while attending an event near the Convention Center. I'm deciding between:
  • Westin downtown
  • Residence Inn Downtown/Convention Center
  • Element downtown
  • Aloft downtown
Wondering if folks have had any recent experiences at any of these properties? (My own thoughts are that the Westin and RI are the closest to the Convention Center, and the Westin gives me the best dollars-per-point value. Though the Westin doesn't have a lounge and my schedule probably means I won't have time in the mornings to be able to make use of the restaurant breakfast, while I could probably grab-and-go something at the RI. I do have 2 SNAs for the rest of the year, though during my dates it looks like the only upgradable rooms would be a larger king size room at the Westin).
Old Sep 24, 2019, 2:16 pm

I live in Austin and frequently take "stay-cations" and am familiar with all the properties. All of these are good choices. The Westin is definitely the nicest and most luxurious. They have a great rooftop pool and their restaurant Stella San Jac is very good with a great selection of local brews and a good wine and cocktail list. Rooms are modern well appointed. If you wind up on a low floor and your room faces 6th street, you might be bothered by the noise from 6th street. It is a short walk from the convention center. The Element and Aloft share the same tower. All the rooms on one half are Element and the other Aloft. I prefer The Element as it is stylish and modern. Rooms in both are fairly small though for both. The Element provides a nice free breakfast. Caroline's on the first floor and Caroline's upstairs is a solid and lively restaurant. This is the farthest from the convention center but definitely walk-able in 15 minutes or less. The Residence Inn is closest to the convention center and shares the same building with the Courtyard. There isn't anything special about this property other than there is a shared restaurant/sports bar called Champs and there is a Starbucks on property.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 9:37 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by flys2much
I live in Austin and frequently take "stay-cations" and am familiar with all the properties. All of these are good choices. The Westin is definitely the nicest and most luxurious. They have a great rooftop pool and their restaurant Stella San Jac is very good with a great selection of local brews and a good wine and cocktail list. Rooms are modern well appointed. If you wind up on a low floor and your room faces 6th street, you might be bothered by the noise from 6th street. It is a short walk from the convention center. The Element and Aloft share the same tower. All the rooms on one half are Element and the other Aloft. I prefer The Element as it is stylish and modern. Rooms in both are fairly small though for both. The Element provides a nice free breakfast. Caroline's on the first floor and Caroline's upstairs is a solid and lively restaurant. This is the farthest from the convention center but definitely walk-able in 15 minutes or less. The Residence Inn is closest to the convention center and shares the same building with the Courtyard. There isn't anything special about this property other than there is a shared restaurant/sports bar called Champs and there is a Starbucks on property.
Thanks for the insight! Given that all properties have an equal points redemption rate, I'll probably end up at the Westin for this trip, but will keep the Element in mind for a future visit!
Old Oct 30, 2019, 8:02 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
The Springhill "Suites" South is a dump: dated, worn, and tired. The rooms are not suites by any suspension of disbelief. It's a basic hotel room, similar to those at a Hyatt Place with a half-assed divider sticking out of the wall in the attempt to create the appearance of a separate room (the typical HP makes no pretense that this is any kind of a suite). The first room I was assigned was tiny and had one tiny drawer for a week's worth of clothing. Went back down and was given a bigger room but with the same tiny drawer under the TV. I ended up evicting the religious propaganda from the 2-drawer nightstand and dragging it next to the TV stand to act as a dresser.

I'm here this week and was booked for next week as well but changed to the Res Inn down the road. It's just as old and probably as dumpy but at least I know it'll have a place to put my clothing and such.

In any of these five worn-out Marriott props along I-35, try to get a room as far away from the highway as possible because the road noise is pretty bad. There's a Res Inn, a Fairfield, the aforementioned SHS, an actual Marriott that looks like it teleported in from 1975, and a Courtyard. This is the worst Springhill I've ever experienced.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 8:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Have stayed at the Austin South Marriott and the Fairfield in the same complex. The above post does not reflect reality. The Marriott seemed new to me and the Fairfield also. One amenity is that you can eat at the Marriott and charge it to any of the other hotels in the complex. We heard some I-35 noise in the Fairfield.
This thread needs editing as the 2007 entries reflect a hotel that no longer exists. Although the Sheraton at the Capital (previously Marriott) still has poor housekeeping.

Last edited by ORDflyer; Oct 31, 2019 at 7:50 pm Reason: Correction.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 9:48 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
The ResInn is old and kind of dumpy and still has that 70s orange/brown vibe, but it's cleaner than the Springhill, Room is much quieter for some reason even though I'm about the same distance from the highway, and the central AC is so much better than the through-wall Springhill noisemaker.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 11:09 am

My wife and I are traveling to the Austin area for 4 days over NYE. Quick getaway to explore and eat good food. I have Bonvoy Platinum through the end of the year, and plenty of Bonvoy points available. What’s my best use of points to get one last go of my Plat benefit? We will have a car and will be driving around a good bit (going to San Antonio as well)
Old Dec 31, 2020, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
So any opinions on Level 4 or higher properties in Austin? Heading for a few nights.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 8:19 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP/Current Titanium
A qualified recommendation is Austin Proper Hotel. I say 'qualified' because you won't get points or nights counted here (the Prosper chain must be one that doesn't do the full Bonvoy thing). As Titanium, I did get an upgrade and late checkout for my recent August stay, though. There are several Prosper locations in CA and I think Austin is the first one outside CA.

I'm a native Austinite and really like this new option due to the great staff, amenities and location. It just opened this year so they're trying to make it all work for guests! I think they have a great concept.

For a great sunset view, try drinks at P6 at the Line. Hope you have a great stay!
Old Dec 31, 2020, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by GueroDeTejas
A qualified recommendation is Austin Proper Hotel. I say 'qualified' because you won't get points or nights counted here (the Prosper chain must be one that doesn't do the full Bonvoy thing). As Titanium, I did get an upgrade and late checkout for my recent August stay, though. There are several Prosper locations in CA and I think Austin is the first one outside CA.

I'm a native Austinite and really like this new option due to the great staff, amenities and location. It just opened this year so they're trying to make it all work for guests! I think they have a great concept.

For a great sunset view, try drinks at P6 at the Line. Hope you have a great stay!
If you book through Marriott you would get points and night credit. If you book through the Design site you will not.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 11:36 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP/Current Titanium
Originally Posted by longtimereader firstimeposter
If you book through Marriott you would get points and night credit. If you book through the Design site you will not.

I booked through Marriott with a points certificate. Followed up with both Marriott (copy of folio) and the hotel direct and got nothing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.