Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Made redemption reservation, paid with points. Htl still charges me for room nights

Made redemption reservation, paid with points. Htl still charges me for room nights

Old Jun 22, 2024, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

I always use the Bonvoy app for check out and until now have never had a problem.

Made a reservation for 2 nights, and paid with Bonvoy points. Hotel acknowledged upon my check in that the room had been paid for by points. I left a credit card to cover incidentals. Hotel applied a hold of USD $200 to the card. Fine. Charged incidentals of approx $15 during the stay.

Checked out using the app. Never received a bill by email, but figured that this was because no room charges applied.

A few days after the stay I discovered a charge of over USD $200 on my credit card aside from the separate charge for incidentals. I first assumed that this was because the hotel had not reversed the hold on my card. Contacted Bonvoy to get a receipt for the stay so that I could submit it and have things corrected. Hotel sent a receipt for the $15 or so in incidentals along with a note saying that there was no receipt for the room charges as these had been paid by points.

Was getting nowhere, so I disputed the charge with the credit card company. They suspended the charge while looking into it, but have reapplied it having received documentation from the hotel in the form of a folio under which I was charged the room rate for 2 nights. Contacted the hotel again and pointed out that I now understood that they had charged me a room rate for 2 nights in error. 3 days later they have not replied.

Sent a case to Marriott via the online form and included the folio to which the 2 night charges had been applied along with the confirmation number under which the 2 nights had been booked as a redemption. Received a reply claiming that the stay had been booked as cash & points. It was not, and the hotel itself acknowledged that the stay was a redemption during my previous contact with them.

I'm sure I'll resolve this eventually if I can connect with someone competent at Bonvoy, but in the meantime I think I'll be checking out at the front desk from now on. Has such a thing happened to anyone else here, and how did you manage to get it fixed?

Old Jun 22, 2024, 5:54 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
So the hotel didn't send you a Folio. When you asked the hotel, they said there's no charge therefore didn't send you the Folio. But when you contacted the credit card company, they provide the Folio the hotel sent to them?

In my profile I set that I'd like to receive the Folio by email. But half of the time the hotels don't email the final Folio to me. This is something Marriott should strive to make consistent. It can help the OP to find out earlier about the wrong charges.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2024, 7:23 pm

the hotel can certainly send you a folio even if it has no charges on it so I'd ask for a folio and see if any charges were posted on it.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2024, 8:50 pm

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
You must have an email confirmation of your reservation and 'rate'... did you forward that to Marriott?

Ron.
Old Jun 22, 2024, 8:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've been charged erroneously after checkout (when I get a printed copy of my bill) for minibar and other charges that I didn't do. Usually it's a stealth charge that appears on my credit card bill without any updated bill being sent to me by email or other notification. It's very annoying and a pain to correct, especially since Bonvoy threatens to cancel accounts/points/status if someone ever requests a credit card chargeback.
Old Jun 22, 2024, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .58 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
If you have not forwarded a copy of that reservation confirmation e-mail to your bank as part of the chargeback, it is not too late.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post # 5)
Bonvoy threatens to cancel accounts/points/status if someone ever requests a credit card chargeback.
I've seen no actual documented reports of such threats. Regardless, they have zero legal significance.

Last edited by SPN Lifer; Jun 22, 2024 at 9:04 pm
Old Jun 22, 2024, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by Biscuittin
I'm sure I'll resolve this eventually if I can connect with someone competent at Bonvoy, but in the meantime I think I'll be checking out at the front desk from now on. Has such a thing happened to anyone else here, and how did you manage to get it fixed?
bogus (temporary) charge on award stay: "Rm Chrg - Reward Redemption"

See this thread above. I think from what you described, they actually charged you instead of whatever internal Marriott account for the redemption. Yes, you redeemed points, but the hotel doesn't get paid in points. They get paid in cash, from Marriott, and they didn't process that properly.

To fix this faster, I would recommend going directly to the hotel Each hotel is responsible for their own accounting, so going through Bonvoy adds a layer, but they will help you if you have issues. But reach out to the hotel, and talk to a manager or their accounting department (I would ask for accounting personally). Simply state that you reserved the room on points, but you were actually charged on your credit card, so you think the room rate was routed incorrectly to you instead of whatever internal Marriott billing they are supposed to do.

From what you describe, it sounds like you have been reaching out to Bonvoy and not the hotel. Or you have only asked the hotel for a receipt. You need to use words like "the billing was routed incorrectly" and use those words with someone in a higher role at the hotel.
SPN Lifer and yscleo like this.
Old Jun 22, 2024, 9:53 pm
Original Poster

Yes, I have tried to resolve this directly with the hotel (no response so far), and I have forwarded copies of my reservation confirmation e-mail showing the payment by points rather than by cash & points, and of the folio I eventually received from my credit card company. This was forwarded to them when they questioned the charge with the hotel despite the hotel having told me that no such folio existed since my room had been paid for by points.

The situation currently is that the hotel has not answered me. Bonvoy claims that the reservation was cash & points although it wasn't. I asked that they look again, and they're now sending my inquiry to a "dedicated team" at the hotel from whom I'll supposedly hear within the next week or so.

Thank you all for the suggestions. They give me good ideas on how to proceed should neither Bonvoy nor the hotel have fixed this when I next hear from them.
SPN Lifer and yscleo like this.

Last edited by Biscuittin; Jun 22, 2024 at 10:17 pm
Old Jun 22, 2024, 11:34 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by Biscuittin
The situation currently is that the hotel has not answered me. Bonvoy claims that the reservation was cash & points although it wasn't. I asked that they look again, and they're now sending my inquiry to a "dedicated team" at the hotel from whom I'll supposedly hear within the next week or so.
Yes, it's frustrating when the hotel is not responding.

I've had a situation with Le Meridien Panama taking all the credit out of my Marriott GC, instead of charging me what was owed. I asked them to refund the extra $50 they took from my GC and the FD said they don't know how, so I left the GC and asked them to get their manager or whoever can do it. Next day when checking out, they still don't have anyone who knows how to do it.

After my trip I kept contacting the hotel, often cannot get through, and the few times I got through they kept transferring me and nobody knows what to do (or don't want to fix it). After contacting Bonvoy, Bonvoy gave me some points for it. But yap if the hotel is not responding, or not able to fix the wrong, it's very frustrating.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2024, 7:34 am

I have seen other instances on here of the hotel accidentally charging you what they charge Marriott corporate for the points stay.
Old Jun 24, 2024, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I'd also be asking your credit card what 'folio' the hotel provided them to substantiate the charges.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.