The president is at my hotel…

Old Feb 3, 2024, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, MB Amb
The president is at my hotel…

I understand they couldn’t inform us ahead of time, but we are unable to use the amenities (and perhaps our own belongings?). If we had known beforehand we would have stayed elsewhere. Anything we should be doing in this situation? It’s novel but also fairly inconvenient to have to walk quite a distance to get to a from Ubers as im here on business.

Old Feb 3, 2024, 10:34 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Sorry, it is I, Mr. President - I wanted to test their shower pressure. Guess you didn't get that Presidential Suite?
Old Feb 3, 2024, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, MB Amb
Do you mind if I splash around in the pool behind you while you hold your special meeting in the nice breakfast/swim spot that’s closed today for you? Promise I’ll try to not make direct eye contact with the cameras, maybe…

Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
Sorry, it is I, Mr. President - I wanted to test their shower pressure. Guess you didn't get that Presidential Suite?
Old Feb 3, 2024, 11:17 am
Marriott 10+ Badge

Programs: LH SEN***, Bonvoy LT Titanium
For me this would be a good case for demanding rebooking in another hotel with compensation. It is not force majeure. The hotel knowingly took the reservation.
jamiel, SEA-Flyer, KRSW and 5 others like this.
Old Feb 3, 2024, 11:24 am

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
Originally Posted by cbellero
For me this would be a good case for demanding rebooking in another hotel with compensation. It is not force majeure. The hotel knowingly took the reservation.
i dont know, about 50% of the population at any one time will tell you the presidency is a natural disaster...
Old Feb 3, 2024, 12:40 pm

The wall of that hotel looks like Aloft.
Old Feb 3, 2024, 5:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
I'd chalk this one up to a fun story to tell your colleagues and friends.

These are my presumptions based on no knowledge whatsoever, but that try to be generous to the hotel itself wanting to maintain in business:
  1. It would not be good operational security to proactively inform 100s of incoming guests that there is a VIP staying there (even if making it ambiguous who)
  2. For the same reasons, I presume only a limited number of people in the hotel would be aware until the day of arrival
  3. I guess a president's schedule is pretty flexible and hence you'd probably only have a real confirmation on the day
  4. Wouldn't good operational security be to book 2 or more hotels and only really confirm on the day
If it makes you feel any better, around my neighbourhood when the (Chinese) president visits, they close 3-4 hotels altogether, so you'd get your wish and be reaccommodated: https://hongkongfp.com/2022/06/27/to...from-coverage/
In the case of the last visit, he didn't even stay overnight, but they still closed the hotels
oiRRio and seavisionburma like this.
Old Feb 3, 2024, 5:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
I always assumed that hotel Presidential Suites were just a nomenclature designed to further inflate the ego of difficult DYKWIA guests. Not somewhere that, you know, an actual President stays. We live and learn.

By the way, you don't reveal the organisation that this individual is President of? Could it be the American Federation of Teachers?
seavisionburma likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2024, 6:09 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by ftrichard
I always assumed that hotel Presidential Suites were just a nomenclature designed to further inflate the ego of difficult DYKWIA guests. Not somewhere that, you know, an actual President stays. We live and learn.

By the way, you don't reveal the organisation that this individual is President of? Could it be the American Federation of Teachers?
Exactly, I’m the president of the International Macaron Society. Those are my macaron secret police.
Old Feb 3, 2024, 7:09 pm

I once got diverted on approach to LAS and had to land at PSP. We chilled for like 40 minutes and then finished flying to LAS.

THANKS OBAMA !
Old Feb 3, 2024, 7:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I had an issue where they posted on the website when booking that the pool would be closed for maintenance on certain dates but when I checked it, it was still under maintenance. Moreover, the jacuzzi in the spa area was also out of order. This was a Ritz Carlton in China. Nothing to do with a VIP but perhaps they could have said it’s under maintenance around those dates although it might have caused a lot if complaints and cancellations. In my case, the information wasn’t updated and I was disappointed. The duty manager only got back 2 hours before check out me and offered to let me go over to rhe Four Seasons and use their pool but I declined as it was almost check out time and you can’t exactly walk over in your robe and slippers! I ended up getting a free upgrade to a buffer suite next time and 20k points which was fair.

I think the hotel in this case should offer maybe 10k points as it’s slightly out of their control, a free meal or try to liaise with other hotels to allow pool access for a few hours. Doing nothing isn’t really acceptable.
Old Feb 3, 2024, 8:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by yorkboy24
SNIP The duty manager only got back 2 hours before check out me and offered to let me go over to rhe Four Seasons and use their pool but I declined as it was almost check out time and you can’t exactly walk over in your robe and slippers! SNIP
I lived in Mainland China for four years spending many nights at luxury hotels and resorts throughout the land and I can report without a shadow of doubt that you are wrong and it's perfectly normal to walk through lobbies, main entrances, and even dining restaurants in the hotel robe and slippers. I witnessed it multiple times with my own eyes. You'd have been fine.
Old Feb 3, 2024, 9:28 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
His motorcade caused my Oregon Ducks to be over an hour late getting to Pauley Pavilion tonight for the UCLA game. They were rather rattled at the beginning of the game but have since bounced back at halftime.
Old Feb 3, 2024, 10:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador - Delta Diamond - United Silver - Frontier 100k - Sixt Plat
This would be funny as an edge-case for me as I regularly travel while carrying. I figure I'd be able to get the hotel to at-least release my reservation so I can go stay somewhere else.
trooper likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2024, 11:44 pm

I once stayed at a hotel in Asia when Angela Merkel plus entourage were in residence. She was only a Chancellor though, which might explain why they had the sort of security presence and scanning paraphernalia shown in the OP at the hotel's front door, but if you strolled around to the entrance on the other side you could walk straight in...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.