Earn Hotel Points Without a Stay?

Old Nov 27, 2023, 11:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Earn Hotel Points Without a Stay?

According to the Bonvoy website, many properties outside North America award 5 points per US dollar for dining, golf and spa spend without a hotel stay. You simply have to link a Visa credit card on the website for this earn, which would be in addition to the points awarded by the Visa credit card...like 6 points/dollar on the Ritz-Carlton card.

I successfully linked my US-issued Ritz card. However, it may be that the card needs to be issued in one of 20-odd countries specifically listed, not including the US? Any insights?
Old Nov 28, 2023, 3:57 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
They advertise this extensively in Asia, but I've never once had any points come through in what must be 10-20 times trying. Apparently if you keep following up they sometimes arrive, but life is too short for that.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 4:12 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Do you mean getting points for dining at a Marriott without staying? I do this all the time in China. I just earned 4000-5000 points for a lunch at Ritz Carlton Shanghai. I just gave them my Marriott # and within minutes the points popped up in my account.

Dining in us doesn't give points when not staying? I've never eaten in a Marriott in US I don't think.

In Asia, most places gives/gave 20% off for plats and above and give points.

For years, I have eaten 2-3 times a week at Marriotts and collected points even when not staying. When Hyatt gave triple points during covid, I switched to Hyatts but am now back at Marriotts again. Not all give the 20% discount Anymore but still give points. Before Starwood merger, they'd sometimes give 50%. In thise days I'd eat at Marriotts 4-5 times a week
Old Nov 28, 2023, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SHLTP
Do you mean getting points for dining at a Marriott without staying? I do this all the time in China. I just earned 4000-5000 points for a lunch at Ritz Carlton Shanghai. I just gave them my Marriott # and within minutes the points popped up in my account.

Dining in us doesn't give points when not staying? I've never eaten in a Marriott in US I don't think.

In Asia, most places gives/gave 20% off for plats and above and give points.

For years, I have eaten 2-3 times a week at Marriotts and collected points even when not staying. When Hyatt gave triple points during covid, I switched to Hyatts but am now back at Marriotts again. Not all give the 20% discount Anymore but still give points. Before Starwood merger, they'd sometimes give 50%. In thise days I'd eat at Marriotts 4-5 times a week

Yes, I do mean points for dining without staying. Qs: Are you registered with Marriott as a US resident? Is your credit card issued in the US? Did you link that card on the Marriott website?

Also, has anyone had success getting Marriott points for dining at a North American property (aside from credit card points) without staying there?

Thanks...
Old Nov 28, 2023, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Explore
According to the Bonvoy website, many properties outside North America award 5 points per US dollar for dining, golf and spa spend without a hotel stay. You simply have to link a Visa credit card on the website for this earn, which would be in addition to the points awarded by the Visa credit card...like 6 points/dollar on the Ritz-Carlton card.

I successfully linked my US-issued Ritz card. However, it may be that the card needs to be issued in one of 20-odd countries specifically listed, not including the US? Any insights?
The one time I tried to do this at the RC Kyoto at the bar, they deducted points to pay for my bar tab (which is a thing you can do at .4 cents per point) instead of using my card to settle the bill.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 5:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
It doesn't have anything to do with nationality or credit card, just that you have a Marriott account. Just give them your number and you'll get points. I've paid w WeChat, credit cards from various countries. I always get points. They now use a qr code to get your number which is better than the old paper system where sometimes they'd lose it.

I believe they just lowered the earning potential to 5 points a few weeks ago. Before you got the same points as if staying. That was worth it if you were titansium.

I need to get the earning now to see if it's still worth going to dine at Marriotts. I might just switch back to Hyatt, my preferred program.

Dining out and about or some name like that gives you points when dining in various restaurantsnin the US that are not Marriott. I have registered all my credit cards there and sometimes get points unexpectedly when I eat at a steakhouse or seafood restaurant. I keep getting emails directing me to restaurants near where I went to boarding school. I'm not sure how they ever knew once lived there 30 years ago

Marriott is superior to Hyatt at various ways to earn points. I had a nice seafood dinner in Boston a few months ago and got a ton of points. Marriott is a points program and doesn't give enough benefits like suites. But they are good at points. I keep earning s lot even though I rarely stay at Marriotts by choice now
Old Nov 29, 2023, 7:00 am

Any experience with points for dining without staying at the hotel in Europe?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.