Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Soft Landing Policy for 2024 Status Year

Old Sep 8, 2023, 10:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K

Per Loyalty Lobby:

Will all Members that do not reach status in 2023 be downgraded to the next Elite tier?

We are pleased to offer all members who did not re-achieve their existing Elite status in 2023 one tier below their current status through February 2025.
Great news for someone like me who won't requalify for Titanium.

Oddly, the Marriott website linked in the Loyalty Lobby article doesn't actually include the quoted text for me. Similarly, a page for which the Google preview shows the same text quotes above also doesn't bear the relevant text once I click through to it.

Is it just me?

Update: It appears Marriott has reconsidered and removed this policy. The new text on the website makes no mention of downgrading by only one tier:

Members who did not re-achieve their existing Elite status in 2023 will be downgraded. These Members can enjoy their existing Elite status level until February 2024. Subsequently, starting March 2024, they will see their new Elite status with an expiration date of February 2025.

Last edited by capedreamer; Sep 17, 2023 at 3:45 pm
Old Sep 8, 2023, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by capedreamer
Per Loyalty Lobby:

Great news for someone like me who won't requalify for Titanium.

Oddly, the Marriott website linked in the Loyalty Lobby article doesn't actually include the quoted text for me. Similarly, a page for which the Google preview shows the same text quotes above also doesn't bear the relevant text once I click through to it.

Is it just me?
Perhaps Marriott changed their mind. Bonvoy!
Old Sep 17, 2023, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

It appears Marriott has reconsidered and removed this policy. The new text on the website makes no mention of downgrading by only one tier:

Members who did not re-achieve their existing Elite status in 2023 will be downgraded. These Members can enjoy their existing Elite status level until February 2024. Subsequently, starting March 2024, they will see their new Elite status with an expiration date of February 2025.
Old Sep 17, 2023, 7:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Maybe Marriott has realised that there are far too many Platinum or higher elites and the hotels that honour benefits are complaining. The most straightforward way of culling the number of elites is to reduce the number of scams alternative methods of qualifying at meaningful levels without actually paying for hotel rooms. So, first cut the soft landings. Next they can cut the qualifying nights from multiple credit cards in the US. Then the various online fudges in China that we read about. Targeted double-night promos can go next. Then global double-night promos. And finally, they can re-negotiate all the US credit card contracts and cut the EQNs from all of them. Problem solved and Bonvoy will only represent pure elites who qualify for benefits by paying for the appropriate number of nights. Just as the loyalty programme was originally intended.
Old Sep 17, 2023, 9:05 pm

I mean, now that you can buy Platinum for basically $350/yr it's basically a give away for anyone who plans to have more than a few stays a year. At least the credit card ENCs still require some butts in beds enough to reach Platinum. It's a really crazy decision in my opinion.

I suppose the nominal cost for Amex/Marriott of giving Platinum away is low as most don't really use it, but it really ruins the experience for the legimite frequent visitors. Maybe soft landing would make more sense if you're close not not quite there.
ftrichard likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2023, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Given the seemingly covert change to a policy that was announced only a few days prior (and screenshotted here) and multiple blogs continuing to cite what may now be an outdated policy, could we get an official comment from one of the Marriott Bonvoy representatives in this community to confirm what the actual soft landing policy, if any, is for 2024? This would be much appreciated.

cc: Marriott Bonvoy Lurker Marriott Bonvoy Lurker II Marriott Bonvoy Lurker III
Old Sep 19, 2023, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by ftrichard
And finally, they can re-negotiate all the US credit card contracts and cut the EQNs from all of them. Problem solved and Bonvoy will only represent pure elites who qualify for benefits by paying for the appropriate number of nights. Just as the loyalty programme was originally intended.
Keep dreaming. Credit card revenues are far too important for todays loyalty programs.

And I assume the appropriate number of nights is exactly the number of nights you achieve, right ?
Mr. BoH, HFHFFlyer, Will08 and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 19, 2023, 2:36 pm

Programs: Amex-gold, Hainan-gold, Mrt-LT Titanium
IMO, the soft landings will be targeted., probably by country and revenue..
Old Sep 19, 2023, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Plat, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by capedreamer
Given the seemingly covert change to a policy that was announced only a few days prior (and screenshotted here) and multiple blogs continuing to cite what may now be an outdated policy, could we get an official comment from one of the Marriott Bonvoy representatives in this community to confirm what the actual soft landing policy, if any, is for 2024? This would be much appreciated.

cc: Marriott Bonvoy Lurker Marriott Bonvoy Lurker II Marriott Bonvoy Lurker III
Do you remember this thread? Look at the first post by @mingzie. Why would they confirm anything when Marriott either misinforms them, or changes their mind?

Bonvoy members demoted after Mariott rep says they would be soft-landed - FlyerTalk Forums
Old Sep 19, 2023, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Do you remember this thread? Look at the first post by @mingzie. Why would they confirm anything when Marriott either misinforms them, or changes their mind?

Bonvoy members demoted after Mariott rep says they would be soft-landed - FlyerTalk Forums
Oh wow. No I was not aware of that thread. Thanks for sharing. I guess this behaviour is par for the course then. How disappointing.

Edit: A non-denial denial on Twitter / X:

Last edited by capedreamer; Sep 19, 2023 at 4:32 pm
Old Sep 19, 2023, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ftrichard (Post # 4)
And finally, they can re-negotiate all the US credit card contracts and cut the EQNs from all of them. Problem solved and Bonvoy will only represent pure elites who qualify for benefits by paying for the appropriate number of nights. Just as the loyalty programme was originally intended.
Originally Posted by notquiteaff (Post # 7)
I assume the appropriate number of nights is exactly the number of nights you achieve, right ?
The appropriate number of Elite Qualifying Nights (EQN) required is based upon the Marriott BONVY Elite status level.

10 EQN = Silver
25 EQN = Gold
50 EQN = Platinum
75 EQN = Titanium
100 EQN = Ambassador (plus spend)

ftrichard likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2023, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Keep dreaming. Credit card revenues are far too important for todays loyalty programs.

And I assume the appropriate number of nights is exactly the number of nights you achieve, right ?
It's not a dream, a delusional fantasy, that I cling on to with desperate hope. And certainly not a personal gripe. Just one method in a varied list I put together of ways Bonvoy could cull the number of elites in a global hotel loyalty programme which is probably the intended outcome of removing soft landings. Indeed, one of the methods I list - double night promos - assists me to retain Titanium each year. Rationally, I'd define the "appropriate number of nights" in exactly the way Bonvoy defines and publishes them. I am irrelevant to this and as LTP I have nothing to achieve or strive for. So 50 nights in a hotel for Platinum and 75 for Titanium. I am also not personally affected by the large volumes of elites generated by the award of credit card nights because I live in Asia where most members earn their status organically and are rewarded by great lounge experiences and proper suite upgrades as a matter of routine. So, no, nothing to do with me or my requirements. Here's your emoji .
SPN Lifer and nexus7556 like this.
Old Sep 19, 2023, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
By offering Double Night Promos and other ways to earn nights Marriott is essentially admitting that the defined status level requirements are not what they actually expect all their customers to achieve per year via Butts-In-Bed. They are as much part of the program as the the status thresholds, and there is nothing wrong with members using them to achieve status.

Personally, I achieve gold status by being a UA MP Gold member… and also by holding an Amex Plat card. Apparently Marriott thinks either of those is the equivalent of giving them 25 nights. Who am I to argue with them? Their rules, their game.
Old Sep 19, 2023, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
By offering Double Night Promos and other ways to earn nights Marriott is essentially admitting that the defined status level requirements are not what they actually expect all their customers to achieve per year via Butts-In-Bed. They are as much part of the program as the the status thresholds, and there is nothing wrong with members using them to achieve status.

Personally, I achieve gold status by being a UA MP Gold member and also by holding an Amex Plat card. Apparently Marriott thinks either of those is the equivalent of giving them 25 nights. Who am I to argue with them? Their rules, their game.
We agree. I didn't argue that there was anything wrong with any of the methods designed by Marriott to qualify at a particular elite level. This thread is about the lack of soft landing and I think a major outcome of this policy is a reduction in the number of elites. As Flyertalk is a discussion forum and not simply a medium to report facts, I suggested some other methods that Marriott could reduce the number of elites if that's the outcome they and their customers - the hotels - are after. You know, to discuss this. No value judgement of right or wrong.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2023, 9:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium -> United Silver
Originally Posted by ftrichard
Maybe Marriott has realised that there are far too many Platinum or higher elites and the hotels that honour benefits are complaining.
I don't know, I think Marriott intentionally keep qualification easy to encourage brand loyalty. Marriott generally charges a premium over comparable properties (with the exception of Hilton), and I'm willing to pay the premium because my status gets me a good breakfast (sometimes) and late check-out. But non-elites are paying the same price as I am and the hotel is able to charge the same premium without having to dole out benefits to non-elites, so I think the owners come out ahead as well.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.