Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Cancelling a "stay longer and save"?? Language makes no sense

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2023, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold

Here's what it says...

Stay Longer and Save, 30 percent off Stay 3 and Save, prepay in full, non-refundable if cancelled less than 1 day before arrival, based upon availability

Additional Information

• Commissionable Rate

Holding Your Reservation

• To ensure that you receive this special rate, we will charge your credit card a prepayment of 653.56 USD on July 4, 2023. If the date presented is after the arrival date, the deposit will be due and processed upon arrival.

Cancelling Your Reservation

• You may cancel your reservation for no charge before 11:59 PM local hotel time on July 4, 2023 (1 day[s] before arrival).
  • After this time, please note that your prepayment for this special rate is non-refundable.

Modifying Your Reservation

• Please note that a change in the length or dates of your reservation may result in a rate change.
  • Your current rate may be available if your modified reservation still includes:
  • A stay of 3 night(s) or more.

1) I have to prepay in full, but I can cancel for no charge?? That makes no sense... do they mean no ADDITIONAL charge??
2) non-refundable if cancelled less than 1 day before arrival, based upon availability... WHat does that even mean, availability of what??
3) Even though it says I have to prepay in Full, the date it says it will charge me is the date of the reservation... what's up with that?

Anyway... pretty weird language but a pretty good offer I think.

YTJK
Old May 15, 2023, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Typical awful Marriott nonsense on the website with zero regard for formatting.

Stay Longer and Save, 30 percent off Stay 3 and Save, prepay in full, non-refundable if cancelled less than 1 day before arrival, based upon availability

What that's saying is you're booking the "Stay Longer and Save" rate which is 30% off the regular rate. You need to "stay 3" (minimum nights) and save. The reservation is prepaid in full and will become fully non-refundable if cancelled less than 1 day before arrival (that's 11:59pm day before in hotel time). Meaning no charge up front but they will charge the entire booked stay at the 1 day mark if you haven't cancelled. "Based on availability" is utterly meaningless here and should never be displayed. The fact that the rate is appearing means it's available.

-RM
Old May 15, 2023, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Typical awful Marriott nonsense on the website with zero regard for formatting.

What that's saying is you're booking the "Stay Longer and Save" rate which is 30% off the regular rate. You need to "stay 3" (minimum nights) and save. The reservation is prepaid in full and will become fully non-refundable if cancelled less than 1 day before arrival (that's 11:59pm day before in hotel time). Meaning no charge up front but they will charge the entire booked stay at the 1 day mark if you haven't cancelled. "Based on availability" is utterly meaningless here and should never be displayed. The fact that the rate is appearing means it's available.

-RM
Isn’t the bolded section conflicting? How can you have prepaid in full and no charge upfront.

I read the rate as they will charge you in full at the time of reservation (the “prepay in full” part) and you have until 1 day before arrival to cancel and get your prepaid amount back.
Old May 15, 2023, 7:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I've seen similar language recently (and have booked one or two). I agree it's prepay at booking, and you can cancel for a full refund up to 1 day prior to arrival. I also agree it seems weird to mix "nonrefundable and prepay in full" with an otherwise very flexible 1 day cancel. When I've seen this type of language for a rate, it's basically been properties dumping inventory they don't think they're going to sell.

Bottom line, yes, it's weird, but would you rather they combine "nonrefundable and prepay in full" with a 14 or 30 day cancel? I'll take this one, thank you very much.
TerryK and SPN Lifer like this.
Old May 15, 2023, 11:24 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
It's pretty clear to me. Stay has to be prepaid but it is refundable unless canceled less than 1 days prior to check in.
Old May 16, 2023, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Non-refundable and prepay are two different terms and they don't carry the same meaning. It's like booking through OTAs like Priceline, you pay at booking and it is refundable up to x days before check-in.
Old May 16, 2023, 7:57 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Also, the "based upon availability" is appended to the end of basically every discounted rate. Obviously if you're seeing it on the booking screen then it's available, but they're basically it won't be last-room available.

I'm with LovetoTravel83 and agree the language here is pretty clear.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.